Gundam 40th Anniversary Special Movie

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
AGF-Antoine

Gundam 40th Anniversary Special Movie

The Mobile Suit Gundam 40th Anniversary "G40 Project" Special Movie has finally been added to GundamInfo.

Personally I think their version of Gundam Rising is a pretty interesting take.

Also, loved their take on the Space Colony.
Seemed to look like the one from the terrorist incident depicted in Gundam Unicorn.

Other then that, it shows different events from the entire anime up to Last Shooting.
Sadly it only shows RX-78-2 Industrial Design Version and the counterpart variations of Zaku II and Char's Zaku II.
Obviously the special is a 15 minute Gunpla ad, regardless, I hope the Zaku II's get High Grade models as well.
Kuruni

Re: Gundam 40th Anniversary Special Movie

Zaku with riiot shield is pretty interesting.

...mostly because the front view remind me of Saku from Tony's manga :p .
My girlfriend was a loli.
Dark Duel

That was an exceedingly interesting reinterpretation of the original. I especially liked the redesigned colony - almost looked more like a Stanford Torus variant rather than the usual O'Neil cylinder. Though it being in Earth orbit rather than one of the Lagrange points was sort of odd to me, but it works, I guess.

I also rather liked the redesigned Gundam and Zakus, especially the MS-06S with two spiked shoulders and a smaller forearm shield.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
hitokirigarou

Who is the woman in front of the Gundam's head? Amuro's mother?

I got Mazinger Z vibes (Koji Kabuto being introduced to Mazinger Z by his grandfather).
Chris
Administrator

hitokirigarou wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:51 am Who is the woman in front of the Gundam's head? Amuro's mother?

I got Mazinger Z vibes (Koji Kabuto being introduced to Mazinger Z by his grandfather).
Yes, it's Kamaria Ray.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Henyo

anyone did a little digging in what episodes the special featured? and how did those Zakus float inside a colony..wasnt the gravity centralized in them? or did i missed reading on some colony tech...

also, i was under the impression that the redesign for the RX-78 was divisive? or was it just the FB doods?
i certainly found the Justice Gundam like top pink thingie weird...and the face is too small...gives me G-Self vibes..
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
bhayes82

Quick question!! is it possible that this animated short is somewhat of a test pilot for a remake of the old series?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIZqZ0VoaOA

something just to test the reaction of the public to the old series w/ new animation.

i know its really just meant to celebrate the old series 40th anniversary and be an ad for the toys but its kinda odd that we had 'gundam orgin' and then the animation director saying in 2017 that he'd has an interest in doing a remake of the old series following 'the orgin' but that it would be a daunting task, - and now we have this 10 min short showing epic moments from the old series..

the timing is very suspect...i think something is coming in the near future.

i don't see why they can't do something similar to what was done with Unicorn and Orgin.

just do 5 or 6 hour long movies covering the old series ..
yazi88

No, its not a test pilot/promo for a remake.

Its a special animated short made to celebrate the 40th anniversary.

Much like the Gundam Perfect Mission animated short that was made for the 30th anniversary.

It means nothing to remake MSG, nor does MSG need a anime remake.

If you want a retelling of MSG, just read the Origin manga. Not everything needs to be animated. Especially not MSG whose plot has been copied over in a lot of mecha anime, including other Gundam TV series, Seed especially borrows heavily from MSG.
bhayes82

yazi88 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:52 pm No, its not a test pilot/promo for a remake.

Its a special animated short made to celebrate the 40th anniversary.

Much like the Gundam Perfect Mission animated short that was made for the 30th anniversary.

It means nothing to remake MSG, nor does MSG need a anime remake.

If you want a retelling of MSG, just read the Origin manga. Not everything needs to be animated. Especially not MSG whose plot has been copied over in a lot of mecha anime, including other Gundam TV series, Seed especially borrows heavily from MSG.
i know this is a 40th anniversary short, i stated this in my message.

not everybody reads comics/manga like you probably do. MANY people who are anime fans have zero interest in manga/comics. and some people prefer their anime's (espcially gundam) dubbed in english and not subbed.

in the context of gundam, i think the mangas and novels are all great source material for new animation. but i don't read em' and i have not desire to either...they don't stimulate me. never have. and never will.

orgin, unicorn, thunderbolt, and hathway are examples new Gundam animation adapted from a great source material/manga/concept/idea/

just because you personally don't want an animated remake of the original series and just because gundam tends to re-use the same themes in animated form repeatedly doesn't mean that's a bad thing to keep doing it.

they do it almost every (not all) but most of the gundam iterations and it continues to work...

if the animation director of MSG (who has also worked on Orgin, Unicorn, F91) expressed interest some interest in a remake and openly admits that the old series' animation has 'NOT' aged well.

https://toofargone.moe/2017/08/18/class ... -incoming/

why not speculate. its probably not so..but then again..maybe it is.

i just think the timing of 'the orgin' and now 'g40' is just alittle suspect..

just stating an opinion dude.

chillaxx!
Kuruni

bhayes82 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:13 pm why not speculate. its probably not so..but then again..maybe it is.
Because people speculate too much already.

Speculate whatever you want, it's your fantasy after all. But unless you've actual proof that they're working on it, it's nothing more than that, fantasy.
the timing is very suspect...i think something is coming in the near future.
Yeah, when IBO is in work people suspected that it must be SeeD Movie exactly because of that logic. About something "coming", well, Comiket 98 is just around the next month (and despite the whole COVID mess, they will do Air Comike instead), so no doubt about it.
My girlfriend was a loli.
bhayes82

wow. the bitterness. it's real here. :lol:
yazi88

Its called having measured expectations given the circumstances.

Its fine having speculation, but don't let it get out of hand to the point it doesn't make any sense.
Chris
Administrator

bhayes82 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:21 am wow. the bitterness. it's real here. :lol:
There's nothing bitter about being fatigued of fans endlessly speculating about remakes/reboots for YEARS based on nothing and assuming every little thing is some secret harbinger of something happening. Sunrise hasn't bothered in the last 40 years to remake MSG even though nothing is holding them back from doing so. Clearly they have no interest, and Gundam as a whole is doing just fine. Remakes aren't needed.

The other problem with fan speculation is that it often gets out of hand and is amplified and repeated so much that people assume that "nothing" is now "something," and when that that "nothing" inevitably doesn't happen, they're all angry and up in arms about it.
bhayes82

fatigued fans? :lol: :lol: :lol:

just how fatigued are they? ah ha ha...didn't realize this was a thing? is this forum that popular and fans are getting out of control to the point where it annoys?

and even if it did. so what? a man can dream.

wow...didn't realize a simple question could bring such venom from 'fatigued' fans.

thanks 4 the heads up. i'll move on with life. ha ha ha.. :lol: :lol:
Chris
Administrator

Wow, you really are thick-headed and seem to have no understanding of what people are saying. You're also really annoying, so maybe this forum isn't the right place for you.
AceWhatever

bhayes82 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:13 pm not everybody reads comics/manga like you probably do. MANY people who are anime fans have zero interest in manga/comics. and some people prefer their anime's (espcially gundam) dubbed in english and not subbed.

in the context of gundam, i think the mangas and novels are all great source material for new animation. but i don't read em' and i have not desire to either...they don't stimulate me. never have. and never will.

just because you personally don't want an animated remake of the original series and just because gundam tends to re-use the same themes in animated form repeatedly doesn't mean that's a bad thing to keep doing it.

why not speculate. its probably not so..but then again..maybe it is.

just stating an opinion dude.
Oh boy this ol' song n' dance again.

Look bub. It's not that nobody personally wants a remake of MSG just out of spite. In a perfect world, every written Gundam work would be readily available in English with a faithful 50-episode anime adaptation that people will bitch about anyway because they didn't animate the dream sequence where the hero's left testicle pilots a mobile suit and goes off on an adventure by itself.

The problem is that alot of Gundam fans want animated adaptations of written material with such single-minded fervor that, combined with your crass attitude towards the manga/novels, make it fairly obvious why they actually want it:
- Nobody wanted a Thunderbolt adaptation so we can stare at OHTAGAKI's butt-ugly characters all day
- Nobody wants a Crossbone adaptation so we can see what HASEGAWA's human abominations look like in motion
- Nobody wants a MSG remake so we can watch Yasuhiko's modern bland faces barely manage a facial expression beyond "staring blankly into the distance" (I jest guys :lol: )

They just want to see the pew pew robots! That's it! That's all this mouth-frothing madness amounts to, so why should we or anyone else humor these pointless discussions?

So since we established that there is zero interesting discussion behind these "what if xyz gets animated" , speculation of this kind all comes to people wanting Yes Men to huddle around them so they can all jump up down like excited Teletubbies.

If or when they decide to animate all of Origin, it'll be because they think it can generate more gunpla sales and not because some people were too lazy to get off their behind and check out the written material (which took great effort for Vertical to bring out fully in English BTW).

Also, stating an opinion is not a deterrent against critique. Keep that in mind.

Oh and this little gem deserves it's own section:
bhayes82 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:13 pm if the animation director of MSG (who has also worked on Orgin, Unicorn, F91) expressed interest some interest in a remake and openly admits that the old series' animation has 'NOT' aged well.

https://toofargone.moe/2017/08/18/class ... -incoming/
You know who likes to express interest in working on sequels, prequels and remakes in Japanese media? Everyone and their mom.

Does that actually mean anything? Absolutely not. Zip. Nada. Zilch. But websites will sucker fanboys into giving them traffic by using clickbait headlines like this.

If an Origin project was actually being worked we're not gonna get a hint about it from a 3 year old interview.
ShadowCell

AceWhatever wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:59 pmthe dream sequence where the hero's left testicle pilots a mobile suit and goes off on an adventure by itself.
if they are going to do this, though, i will be very upset if they don't call it Mobile Suit Gundam Ball.
AceWhatever

I'm partial towards Mobile Suit Gundam Balls Deep myself 😜
Nevermore

You both got it wrong. It’s MoBALL Suit Gundam
Eschew obfuscation.
pirx

bhayes82 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:27 am fatigued fans? :lol: :lol: :lol:

just how fatigued are they?
Sometimes i wish JJ Abrams would come to Gundam world...