The Official Gundam Build Divers Re:RISE Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Dark Duel

Re: The Official Gundam Build Divers Re:RISE Thread Mk I

After last week's feels train, a little light-hearted fun was most welcome, so that was probably the bit of the latest episode that I enjoyed the most...and I love how it balanced that with more serious plot progression at the same time, as we slowly move into the endgame.

The wait until next week's episode is gonna be rough.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
MythSearcher

Audiences have noticed the similarity of the scene in the last show for 00S and ep. 20.

https://twitter.com/G1_BARI/status/1285 ... 92608?s=20
Masami Obari admitted the original picture for both scenes are done by him.
Dark Duel

That’s kinda cool

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Kuruni

Wow. It's sometime since we have such intense battle, 3-ways battle even.

The way Hiroto defeat Seltsam is very reminiscent of Gaogaigar's Hammer Hell and Heaven. Impale the target with drill/nail then tear the arm/core off. Heck, Tertium even become particle of light upon defeated!
My girlfriend was a loli.
Dark Duel

That entire fight was awesome as heck. The Dubious Arche was kinda cool-looking; aesthetically better-looking than its predecessor IMO, and certainly a more interesting design than the Fake v Gundam - and this from someone who loves the v and hates the Arche.

As for the episode itself, it was awesome as heck, and I loved every tense second of it. But my favorite was that moment when Cuadorn was about to repeat the same mistake Hiroto almost made, and it's Hiroto himself who stopped him from doing it.

Ryujin

You know what really looked wrong and creepy? Not all the tentacles & whatnot, but the way Seltsam's head tilted sideways like that.
Kuruni

Another breather episode, although it set up the big event next.

Momo's avatar is much more cute :P .
Dark Duel

Yeah, it was pretty cool. NGL though, as far as next episode, I'm much more looking forward to seeing Hiroto's old boss again than anything or anyone else.

Kuruni

Not as epic as I thought, but it's like the training mission from S1.

On the other hand, I'm very glad that Riku fight more like when he used the 00 Ace (that's, relies on speed and his mad reflex) than when he used the 00 Sky (flashy super move). This is exatly how I thought it should be.
Dark Duel

Lotus Challenge in Build Divers: The new guys ###pull a win on the first try in a mission that even the top two Forces in the entire world fail to clear with barely any effort through the sheer power of Plot Armor.

Lotus Challenge in Re:Rise: The new guys pull off a win after forty consecutive attempts, gradually getting a little further and a little better each time.

Yeah, this series continues its ongoing trend of being vastly superior to its predecessor. I was a little disappointed at the relative absence of the Champ, since he played such a small role, but I understand why that had to be the case, so I'm pretty happy all the same. I still prefer the AGE-2 Magnum to the TRY AGE Magnum, but all the same, as brief as it was, its appearance did serve to remind us that he's The Champ for a reason.

I'm also glad that Riku seems to have matured quite a bit. He's a lot less annoying than he was in the previous series. Still a bit disappointed that the 00-Sky didn't get wrecked, because I despise that thing, but I really enjoyed watching Hiroto take advantage of the Core Gundam's structure in the brief bit of their fight we did get, that was nice. Also, that last conversation between them was a nice way to put a little bow on the end of that part of Hiroto's character arc.

Overall, another great episode, and I can't wait for the next one!
Last edited by Dark Duel on Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ryujin

In spite of all the action, this episode worked quite well as a breather episode before the final battle. Asides from the flashy stuff one expects from veteran players, some of whom have their own manga spinoffs, we get goofy stuff like Momo, confirmation of Capt. Zeon's long-suspected actual identity, the various character interactions, and finally, the breaking of the tension between Hiroto & Riku.

I was also kind of expecting Makoto to make a surprise appearance in the midst of battle, but the situation really did need that conversation with his sister before he could go forward.

As for the battle itself, I think it was a good move on the director's part not to show the target's destruction & what form Hiroto's special move had taken to achieve it. I'm personally hoping for multi-robot GATTAI, given how that's Core Gundam's specialty.
MythSearcher

Dark Duel wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:45 am Lotus Challenge in Build Divers: The new guys ###pull a win on the first try in a mission that even the top two Forces in the entire world fail to clear with barely any effort through the sheer power of Plot Armor.

Lotus Challenge in Re:Rise: The new guys pull off a win after forty consecutive attempts, gradually getting a little further and a little better each time.

Yeah, this series continues its ongoing trend of being vastly superior to its predecessor. I was a little disappointed at the relative absence of the Champ, since he played such a small role, but I understand why that had to be the case, so I'm pretty happy all the same. I still prefer the AGE-2 Magnum to the TRY AGE Magnum, but all the same, as brief as it was, its appearance did serve to remind us that he's The Champ for a reason.

I'm also glad that Riku seems to have matured quite a bit. He's a lot less annoying than he was in the previous series. Still a bit disappointed that the 00-Sky didn't get wrecked, because I despise that thing, but I really enjoyed watching Hiroto take advantage of the Core Gundam's structure in the brief bit of their fight we did get, that was nice. Also, that last conversation between them was a nice way to put a little bow on the end of that part of Hiroto's character arc.

Overall, another great episode, and I can't wait for the next one!
The Lotus challenge is a bit different though.
It was supposed to be a challenge to be cleared, just with difficulty. The original BDs pulled a win on the first try because they studied the pattern and tried a new method where nobody tried before(building their own shuttle to increase the payload), their only PC enemy is the force of Lotus. Saying they clear it with barely any effort and sheer power of plot armour is not fair because the show actually showed their research in strategy. Though the final part IS heavily plot armoured(destroying the core by pure luck), most of the planning isn't.

Re:rise's BDs, while skipping the shuttle part and can face the challenge with their full force, have PC enemies from most of the actual powerful forces shown in the 1st season, and retiring when even one of them are shot down. Meaning they are facing a harder difficulty than the original BDs. Also, I'm pretty sure Champion is a bigger hurdle than Lotus himself, I mean, Mermaid Gundam in space? Are you even trying to be a real hurdle? The original challenge had challengers limited in payload so either the challengers have less units entering battle or can only use lighter MSs thus less powerful,(or in the case of using a larger shuttle, less time to battle) so the handicap sounded right, but here it is just absurd, especially seeing Champ goes before him...

Superior than its predecessor, yes, but at the same time, I hate it when they didn't incorporate the planning like the predecessor. "We will skip the hardest brainy part of the challenge because we still haven't decided what to do with the getting to space part" is a pretty weak excuse, because that seems like the hardest part they need to overcome if they cannot use the space elevator and the enemy had a huge battle station pointing at you and virtually unlimited army stopping you in your tracks if a shuttle is used. It sounded pretty like plot armour to me "It will all be okay because we can get there by plot design" (Likely Alus being self conflicting, let them get near before turning to battle mode and at the end admitting his own fault)

I still liked how the show made it look like even if the original BDs were put into this difficulty when they faced the Lotus challenge at the time, they'd probably would have still needed many tries before succeeding. (They will be facing at least the powered up version of themselves and Champion, others like Rommel's team will also likely shoot down at least one of them(Momo is a lot weaker at the time).
Also, the tone is well balanced. While Re:rise is a more serious show than the 1st season(hey, it may even surpass some of the war oriented Gundam shows in the number of deaths when the city got destroyed, probably surpassed G Gundam), they can still enjoy Gunpla battle when needed, old characters giving short conversations that are well suited to their personalities and not just background cameos.
Kuruni

#25 The battle isn't as tense as rescuing Masaki, but still fun to watch. I heard that Obari direct the whole battle in this episode by himself, and I can see why, only him can pull gattai scene and make my inner child screaming.

Is it just me, or GBD:R actually utilize returning characters from GBD better than their origin series?

The end is big surprise for me, and look like we will get even more epic closure next.
Dark Duel

Kuruni wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:02 pm #25 The battle isn't as tense as rescuing Masaki, but still fun to watch. I heard that Obari direct the whole battle in this episode by himself, and I can see why, only him can pull gattai scene and make my inner child screaming.
Yeah, that doesn't surprise me at all. I got *heavy* VARIABLE FORMATION vibes from that scene personally, but that's mostly because I saw that series before I saw Gravion. Also, as goofy-looking as the Re:Rising Gundam is, the moment in which it fired the Grand Cross Cannon was COMPLETELY BADASS.
Kuruni wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:02 pm Is it just me, or GBD:R actually utilize returning characters from GBD better than their origin series?
It's not just you. I got the same feeling, and I loved it. I also absolutely *LOVED* that final scene, and I cannot wait for the epic beatdown that is bound to ensue next week.

Ryujin

Dark Duel wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:02 am It's not just you. I got the same feeling, and I loved it. I also absolutely *LOVED* that final scene, and I cannot wait for the epic beatdown that is bound to ensue next week.
In the immortal words of Clubber Lang: "I pity the fool."
MythSearcher

Ryujin wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:11 pm
In the immortal words of Clubber Lang: "I pity the fool."
Alus, got beaten by a mere 4.5 gunpla builders(Masaki kinda just stood there at the time), brought the battle to where he knew thousands of gunpla builders are.

I pity the fool.
Kuruni

Ah, epic ending. Seriously, with all important stuff occurred, now I feel that GBD-R is the real meat while GBD is simply overly-long prologue for set up the scene.

Gunpanzer look awesome!

And the last scene is both touching and funny at the same time. Heck, I don't think any non-Build series ever deliver "the war is over" scene as clear as this.
MythSearcher

Kuruni wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:18 am Ah, epic ending. Seriously, with all important stuff occurred, now I feel that GBD-R is the real meat while GBD is simply overly-long prologue for set up the scene.

Gunpanzer look awesome!

And the last scene is both touching and funny at the same time. Heck, I don't think any non-Build series ever deliver "the war is over" scene as clear as this.
The only thing that I have a problem with is the blatant Trayage ad that was placed in for no good reason.
I know they tried to make it look cool, but the whole thing is just so out of place and sudden that it makes little sense to be put in there.

The rest is just executed well, maybe I missed a very in that sentence.
It is also nice to have them able to still travel between the two places and since it seems like they no longer need Freddie to summon them this time, I guess the gateway is now open for good?
Dark Duel

OH. MY. FREAKING. GOD.

Where do I even begin? This entire episode was absolutely glorious.
Spoiler
I have been waiting literally the entire series for Hiroto to pull that stunt he did against Alus after the latter predictably hijacked the Earthree Armor, and I am entirely satisfied with the way he suddenly docked with parts from multiple different armors and opened up a can of whup-@$# on that pretender.

A lot of other great stuff, like Rommel switching to his alt account for some combo work with Kazami, which was badass, and even more cameos from previous series characters, but all executed quite well.

I had seen some people on YT complaining about Kyoya not actually demonstrating the Try Age System in his first appearance with the Try Age Magnum, so I wasn't surprised to see him use it this time, but I gotta admit it took me by surprise. I saw Titus come up and I was like "Okay, time for some brawling". But nope. Instead, that thing comes down like the HAND OF GOD and literally sucker-punches a battleship. It was cheesy as all heck, but so friggin' awesome.

And then, after the dust clears, that last shot to the feels(but in a good way) when May takes off her jacket, and she's got The Earring wrapped around her arm.
Quite possibly IMO the best series finale we've had in years.

Kuruni

MythSearcher wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:38 pm The only thing that I have a problem with is the blatant Trayage ad that was placed in for no good reason.
I know they tried to make it look cool, but the whole thing is just so out of place and sudden that it makes little sense to be put in there.
My beef is that they should give it to Load Astray, simply because it's piloted by Tsukasa :mrgreen: .