The Official Gundam Hathaway Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
yazi88

Re: The Official Gundam Hathaway Anime Thread Mk I

bhayes82 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:14 pm
well. lets pray they didn't go cheap. the thing is, perhaps they did all the dubbing on the down-low with NYAV post for hathaway?

we will find out in a few days regarding the MSG Trilogy. my concern is the trilogy is already VERY old and hard to look at. airing it SUBBED will limit who looks at it and isn't that the purpose of airing the old trilogy - to show the newbies how the franchise started? What english speaking anime fans wants to see these old two hour anime films dubbed in japanese from the late '70s? As a gundam fan i can tolerate it, but the casual viewer who's a non gundam fan who's new to gundam won't sit thru 10 mins of those trilogy films unless they're dubbed. but u could be right!

In all honesty, i looked at the old trilogy and the series recently. the eng dub recorded for the episodes covered in each compilation film COULD fit onto the trilogy it would just require some audio editing/engineering.

what would be REALLY funny AND interesting is if they secretly recorded a NEW dub with NYAV post for MSG Trilogy and Char's Counterattack

Be realistic, why would they re-dub the original movie trilogy with a actual localized dub when it is so old at this point. If it didn't get a new dub before it sure ain't gonna get a dub now. You don't just take dub from the show and paste it on the movies, that's not how contracting and licensing works for voice overs/dubs. They would've announced it by now. Its not gonna happen.
Epic SA-X Guy

bhayes82 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:12 pm the big question now is WHO did they hire to do the english dub? was it NYAV Post or Ocean group?
They've used NYAV Post for every UC Gundam dub since Unicorn so it would be reasonable to assume they used them again this time, unless Netflix paid for the dub themselves.

Edit: The subtitles for the film credit Iyuno Media Group. Apparently they're the people who dub Pokemon
bhayes82

Epic SA-X Guy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:37 pm
bhayes82 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:12 pm the big question now is WHO did they hire to do the english dub? was it NYAV Post or Ocean group?
They've used NYAV Post for every UC Gundam dub since Unicorn so it would be reasonable to assume they used them again this time, unless Netflix paid for the dub themselves.

Edit: The subtitles for the film credit Iyuno Media Group. Apparently they're the people who dub Pokemon

agreed. I can't wait for the voice cast to be revealed. i'm sure they hired only the best VA's to do this dub
Mafty

The English Dub Trailer is out now, the voice work sounds quite good, but there doesn't seem to be a cast list yet,
PowerdGNFlag

The movie is out on Netflix, and there's no EN dub cast list at the end.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
pirx

Yes, i just noticed it on Netflix. Could'nt believe my eyes. Also as Chris mentioned - original MSG movie trilogy too!
I guess i should mention that i live in Latvia, so Hathaway movie is available internationally not just in US.
PowerdGNFlag

pirx wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:12 am Yes, i just noticed it on Netflix. Could'nt believe my eyes. Also as Chris mentioned - original MSG movie trilogy too!
I guess i should mention that i live in Latvia, so Hathaway movie is available internationally not just in US.
I think they announced earlier that it will be available everywhere except in Japan.

Slightly off-topic, but I guess Netflix bagging this deal for Hathaway's international release made other streaming services take note. Just earlier today, Amazon Prime Video was announced to have worldwide streaming rights for Evangelion 3.0+1.0 starting August 13.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Underrated GM Custom

Well that's interesting, I didn't expect Amazon to go for the Rebuild movies. I saw 1.0 when it first came to theaters and then watched 2.22 and 3.33 last month. Looking forward to seeing what they do with the fourth movie.

I'm glad to hear Hathaway's flash is getting a worldwide streaming release. I'm looking forward to watching it this evening.
tHeWasTeDYouTh

Just watched the movie. I really liked it and it follows the novel really well but I wonder if the ending will still be the same or if it will change like what happened to the Zeta movies.
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Mafty

The movie was great. You can really see a difference in Tominio's novels to the more collaborative work in the anime(I know it's kinda vague how much of Gundam came from Tomino, but he did write these novels). The Gundams look rather different (more monochromatic and with a pointy design like Zeorymer or Gaia Gear), and they've gone back to the novel designs for the Gustav Karl. The mech's themselves seem more realistically bulky and lumbering(like you'd expect a massive mech to be), particularly in the battle sequences. That being said the story doesn't seem that incompatible with the rest of the UC productions, particularly if (as the opening hinted) we might get more second UC stories...

(SPOILERS)

as for if the ending will be different , that's kind of hard to say. The darker tone of the movie would lend itself more to the (very) Bittersweet ending of the story. However this ending in particular opens up new plot threads that never get followed up on(ie The "New" Mafty, is never heard from again, and hardly gels with either Crossbone Vanguard , or The Zanscare, the only one it does tie into is Metatron whose story has now long since been rendered non canon), so hopefully if they go that route it will open up more second UC storylines/tie in's to the surviving characters.
latenlazy

Oh man. Just finished that first movie and that was excellent, just sublime. Probably the best Gundam story I’ve watched in a very very long time.

It’s super fascinating watching Hathaway try to reconcile the contradicting legacies he’s taken up from both Char and Amuro, the two people who at various points in his life served as his most central role models, which forces him to craft this new persona that projects a very interesting combination of both their different strengths and characteristics as leaders. Watching him square this one is all the more intriguing because to the rest of the world people like Char and Amuro are figures of histories, practically symbols, but he knew both of these men personally and got to see the complexities and faults of their humanity up close. All the while he’s struggling to sublimate all the parts of him that he feels are weaknesses, but especially the very sensitivity towards others that gives him his sense of purpose, and which is the truest reflection of who he is (which, as Cameron might have noted, is so much like his mother).

Poor Hathaway wasn’t meant for this life, and probably would have been much happier letting himself fall in love with Gigi, but he wills his way through because by the circumstances of his past he’s been thrust into a momentous role in history which he can’t refuse for both intimately personal and more broadly political reasons. They made this movie into a character study of Hathaway, and I cannot wait to see where his personal story goes. They’ve deftly pulled the threads of his long but extremely ancillary presence in the UC timeline and spun them together into one the richest character we’ve had since Char and Amuro kicked it with psychoframe magic. On a side note, really amusing to see that Hathaway seems to have emerged as more of a lady’s man than both Char and Amuro (but uh, especially Char).

Another thought I had was that, while no reference to Gundam UC was made in this installment, the way they’ve established the setting ties in so deeply to the way Gundam UC ends. You can definitely imagine a world where the miracle of the UC charter has its moment, completely erasing Zeon’s (and Char’s) enchantment over those who want an alternative to the Federation’s attachment to Earth, but leaving nothing in the void while the Federation’s stagnation continues the aloof work of entrenching a gradual oppression to sustain an ever more sclerotic status quo system. I will be super eager to see if there will be a more direct reference or tie in to the events in Gundam UC, not that this story really needs it.

Oh, and the mobile suit battles weren’t half bad either :wink:. The way they’ve animated the Penelope was just *chefs kiss* beautiful.
Underrated GM Custom

Really enjoyed Hathaway's Flash. I went in only knowing the basic premise and I was really impressed. I expected some executive meddling on this one that would alter the tone but instead the tone felt perfect about 95% of the movie's run time. It was very engrossing and I'm excited to see how the story plays out.

General impressions of the movie
I loved the pacing in this movie. No moment felt wasted and it had the right mix of long shots and fast moving scenes.

Great sound design, I especially liked the music near the end that had a bladerunner esque theme to it. Could have done without an insert song in the beginning though, was really hoping Hathaway would not continue this trend.

Animation was very fluid, loved the opening sequence on the space shuttle reentry. Plus it included a Gaplant with booster cameo. Favorite set piece for me was the hidden base, 2nd would be the hotel room.

Since Hathaways's Flash is meant to be more about the characters and the political intrigue I'm glad they took the Godzilla approach with mobile suits. It's a nice sense of immersion when you see people on the ground fleeing a mobile suit conflict and and as the audience we only catch glimpses of the MS just like the characters on the ground would with the terrible visibility resulting from the raging conflict. Really enjoyed that section.

I enjoyed that a lot of sections were dark, really helps set the mood. That said the parts with Xi and Penelepe near the end were dark enough for me I had trouble following the action in a few scenes. It's not Battle of Winterfell dark, but was dark enough that I need to rewatch that sequence because I definitely missed a few things.

Seeing the beam scatter melting bollards and fire hydrants is a simple scene that does a good job of reinforcing Gundam's "War is terrible for civilians" theme. Reminded me of that memorable F91 opening scene with the ammo casings.

Oh, I've got a translation question if anyone can answer it.

So with US Ranks Army/USMC O1 = 2nd Lt, 02 = 1st Lt and 03 = Capt. US Navy 01 = Ensign (ENS), 02 = Lieutenant Junior Grade (LTJG) and O3 = Lieutenant (LT).
So rank structure in Gundam is O1/CWO = Shuin, O2 = Chuuin, O3 = Tai right? (My apologizes if I bungled the spelling)

So Quattro Tai and Emma Chuuin are both Lieutenants with Quattro being a full LT and Emma being a LTJG but both can be referred to as lieutenant. Lane Aim is Chuuin from what I heard but later in the movie the team on standby call him 'tai-cho'. Were they making fun of him with that rank? That was my hunch but not quite sure.

Also Taisan is getting translated as Captain in this one. I've heard Char called this plenty of times but was never sure if it meant Captain as in Captain of a Ship or Captain as in official rank like O6. With Kenneth-Taisan I'm guessing O6 rank since that's a large command he's in charge of, I'm just surprised they wouldn't translate that as Colonel since it appears to be a ground unit.
Mafty

For the ranking purposes I have info from the old Gundam Official Guide (written by amongst others, Mark Simmons). Its noted in the book that the numerous translations aren't specific on rank; however its ultimately decided that the ranks are split, The Earth Federation Air Force and Army use the Army Ranks, All Space Forces (at least as of 2002 when the book was written) and the Earth Federation Space Force, use Naval Ranks.

Taii= is Captain in the Army Ranks and Lieutenant in the Naval Ranks.
Chui- Is 1st Lieutenant in Army, and Lieutenant Junior Grade in Navy.
Taisa- Is Colonel in the Army and Captain in the Navy

So yes most likely its Captain Char and Captain Kenneth in Naval Ranks (probably an Official Rank, But I'll admit I really don't know anything about the Military). If Lane is called Chui (Lieutenant JG ) than he shouldn't be called Tai (Lieutenant or Captain) so maybe its a goof?
Underrated GM Custom

Yeah I was just surprised they went with CAPT (O6) instead of Colonel (O6) since Kenneth is taking control of a ground forces base. I suppose it could be he had a successful career in the space forces then took an assignment on Earth (maybe even a lat transfer) for the upwards mobility.

For Lane Aim, it's the scene where they are on standby waiting for an attack near the end of the movie. They called him I think it was tai-cho if they were making fun of him. I was thinking it might be a portmanteau of Taii (O3) combined with bocchan (young master) to signify he has a high rank or position despite being young. Kind of like calling him teachers pet or rich kid.
MythSearcher

https://twitter.com/isiyumi/status/1405844207051317255
Takuji Katō who draws the manga of Knights & Magic jokingly explains why Lane Aim returned Gawman so unhesitatingly.(Way too annoying)
Underrated GM Custom

Hahahaha, I have to admit I did enjoy the bits where he kept nagging Lane on how to pilot when fighting Xi. That's a good explanation.

What's everyone's opinions on that scene since it differs from the novels.
Spoiler
Novel - Lane is ruthless and dropping Gawman is a ploy to make it easier to bring down the Xi Gundam
Movie - Lane is honorable and gets rid of Gawman.
Personally I like the movie versions since we already see some conflict with Hathaway's inner ideals, especially after the taxi ride. So Lane behaving this way and Hathaway questioning the intent fit pretty well.
bhayes82

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:57 pm Hahahaha, I have to admit I did enjoy the bits where he kept nagging Lane on how to pilot when fighting Xi. That's a good explanation.

What's everyone's opinions on that scene since it differs from the novels.
Spoiler
Novel - Lane is ruthless and dropping Gawman is a ploy to make it easier to bring down the Xi Gundam
Movie - Lane is honorable and gets rid of Gawman.
Personally I like the movie versions since we already see some conflict with Hathaway's inner ideals, especially after the taxi ride. So Lane behaving this way and Hathaway questioning the intent fit pretty well.
Yup. Lane is changed to be the 'underdog' almost. He's just following orders and is very driven to prove to others that he's worthy. no one respects him.

and that's the interesting thing about this film is that neither side is right. Mafty isn't 100% good and the federation is not 100% bad. And different people feel different ways about what each side is doing.

for example, in the books they emphasize that the earth is forcing the poor to live in colonies and privatizing the earth.

but in the film, Mafty wants to kill earth ministers and stop the privtization of earth but also beleives that to 'heal' the earth humanity must live in space. So it's interesting, i'm curious how deeply they'll delve into this in the next film.
Seto Kaiba

I can't take Gigi Andaluisia's design seriously... she reminds me too much of Lusamine from Pokemon Sun and Moon.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
MythSearcher

Seto Kaiba wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:03 pm I can't take Gigi Andaluisia's design seriously... she reminds me too much of Lusamine from Pokemon Sun and Moon.
The original novel design is similar, and that predates Pokemon.

I don't like that character, period.
Underrated GM Custom

bhayes82 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:33 pm Yup. Lane is changed to be the 'underdog' almost. He's just following orders and is very driven to prove to others that he's worthy. no one respects him.
So it's interesting, i'm curious how deeply they'll delve into this in the next film.
Completely agree, I'm interested to see how much of that they tackle in the next films and whether they'll expand on the novels at all or continue to cleave close to the source material.

It's also interesting that Lane is not respected at all, since he is a Gundam pilot. As I recall with his scores as a test pilot it was mentioned he was a second coming of Amuro or something to that effect. Plus his design in the games looks pretty close to Amuro, moreso than the movie. I get the feeling they're going to flesh that out a bit more in the next movie.