The Official Gundam Hathaway Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
bhayes82

Re: The Official Gundam Hathaway Anime Thread Mk I

Did anybody catch this 'Heirs to Gundam' Panel that was live streamed in March?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Dfzz8XMQs

if you manipulate the subs to 'Autotranslate' to English on the gear icon you can get some (mostly) accurate english subs to understand 'most' of what is being said..

but This is the promo panel for Gundam hathaway movie. its very well done. they really did a profesisonal presentation and are playing on the nostalgia of the old movie - CHar's counterattack and Hathaway is the 'continuation' of that story.

Its so very interesting because i'm a casual American gundam fan who prefers gundam 'dubbed' in English. and i collect the dvds/blu rays.

but i didn't realize that the Gundam is a brand in Japan that people take great pride in. i knew it was popular but i can see the happiness the passion of the fans (men and women).

they bring out the original actors from Char's Counterattack and inteview them. They reflect on Char's Counterattack and they do a stage reading of the final scene in the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmc-BJbusf8

then they inteview the director, writer and show that the animation is still in process. then the interview the music producer and the J-Pop band doing songs for the films.

and the J-Pop band members talk about how proud and thankful they are to be doing a song for Gundam.

i didn't realize how important Gundam is to the Japanese.

i love it because of the story, the characters and the robots/mobilt suits and the action..but its a casual interest.

their passion is similar to Transformers fans and Star Wars/Star Trek Fans almost.

the fans in Japan really idolize the Japanese Voice Actors for Amuro and Char. They're household names in Japan.

and its interesting who they bring out the voice actors for the new characters of Hathaway, Gigi and Kenneth Sleg

and the older VA's give the new Va's onstage advice and joke around abit about how their lives will be different now..its all very fascinating...this 'Hathaway' film is a big deal in Japan. i didn't realize.
AGF-Antoine

Today the official website posted what I already expected to happen.
Due to COVID-19 the release of the first movie is postponed.

I mean, it also happened to the new James Bond movie earlier this year.

Then Bandai also postponed Digimon Adventure: and Gundam Build Divers Re:RISE Second Season.
So this was the only logical outcome and decision.
bhayes82

yep. i was expecting it. the lack of promo and trailers led me to think this. oh well..lets just wait.

in the mean time there is a thread here with a guy who is posting English language summaries of all three books

so it we will know the story pretty well before going in
Shinigam_Newtype

For anybody interested in the final book summaries, apparently it clears up a lot of internet rumours?

https://papakku.wordpress.com/2020/06/1 ... breakdown/
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080
WhoIsJFREE

Hey, got one question about the novel
Spoiler
Where does the info of Bright opening up a resturaunt after the execution from? It's cited at all the wiki sites but does have a source.
Was it ever explained within the novel?
Shinigam_Newtype

WhoIsJFREE wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:49 am Hey, got one question about the novel
Spoiler
Where does the info of Bright opening up a resturaunt after the execution from? It's cited at all the wiki sites but does have a source.
Was it ever explained within the novel?
Hiya, paddypakku here.

So, in the novel Bright mentions that he would like to open a restaurant once he retires but as far as the book is concerned, the last thing we see of Bright is him saying goodbye to Kenneth.
So we dont know what actually happens to him once he finds out about Hathaway and we dont know what happens once he actually retires

Whoever wrote the wiki article probably just assumed that Bright went ahead and opened the restaurant once he retired.
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

tHeWasTeDYouTh

The first part of anime film "Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway's Flash" previously delayed due to COVID-19 pandemic now scheduled for May 7, 2021.

We also have the third trailer and you can see it at Gundaminfo's youtube channel.
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
bhayes82

tHeWasTeDYouTh wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:38 am The first part of anime film "Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway's Flash" previously delayed due to COVID-19 pandemic now scheduled for May 7, 2021.

We also have the third trailer and you can see it at Gundaminfo's youtube channel.
yep. just seen it. here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_63B0myYvg

and i know this is a 'teaser' and its meant to show snippets but was anyone else 'underwhelmed' by that teaser???

honestly. in my opinion. the 'new' standard for Gundam animation is what we saw in Unicorn. so i know its still too early to make a judgement call. we gotta wait.

with Gundam Narrative, i feel they dropped the ball a bit. it was still VERY good, but a step down from Unicorn, especially considering it was a movie feature.

so i kinda am expecting them to step it up with Hathaway and take things to Unicorn level and beyond.

does anybody here live in Japan and will go to see it in theaters?
baka8roukanako

I just hope they bring hand-drawn mecha back.
tHeWasTeDYouTh

https://twitter.com/gundam_hathaway/sta ... 44480?s=21

New Hathaway's Flash Poster revealed, drawn by character designer Haruhiko Mikimoto.
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Cybaster

Kuruni wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:22 am Lets hope that it isn't another deus ex psychoframe.
I honestly hope not either. IBO essentially killed off its entire protagonist cast to prevent the Newtype Powercreep Problem from seeping into future works in that same world (it's taking a shotgun to a fly, but it did free said world from needing to 'improve' on the Alaya-Vijnana System in any way to 'escalate' plot), and by this point the UC has honestly fallen into the pattern of powercreeping and making their NTs and NT Mobile Suits more and more elaborate/convoluted with each subsequent show --- regardless of the time period, even, such as 0083's MSes being somehow leaps and bounds more powerful than those in Zeta Gundam --- to keep audiences interested. It's IMO gotten so bad that Unicorn and Narrative's NTs are essentially Space Wizards wielding Getter Robo-style Super Robots now.

Let's hope HF actually brings back some normalcy to the NT Tech formula in that vein and sticks to what is already established between CCA and F91.
Don't throw the baton, you jacka**!!!
Mafty

Has anyone read the novels? How much do Newtypes tie into the storyline of HF? And how overpowered are they? The novel was written before the Newtype powers got exaggerated after all, but that doesn't preclude them changing the story in the adaptation like Unicorn and Narrative.
Seto Kaiba

Mafty wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:30 am Has anyone read the novels? How much do Newtypes tie into the storyline of HF? And how overpowered are they? The novel was written before the Newtype powers got exaggerated after all, but that doesn't preclude them changing the story in the adaptation like Unicorn and Narrative.
As I recall, explicit instances of Newtype powers didn't play a significant role in the story beyond Hathaway having been traumatized by having experienced Quess's death via his (and her) Newtype powers, having a dream about her, and the use of some psycommu weapons... most prominently the funnel missiles.

Gigi Andalusia is rumored/alleged in-story to be able to see the future... but it's never clarified if that's just a rumor or if she actually has some kind of actual precognitive ability.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Shinigam_Newtype

Seto Kaiba wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:09 pm
bhayes82 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:14 pm Has anyone read these novels are know what happens in the novels.

i found something online which states that basically at the end of the series hathaway and his gundam are defeated after a failed assasination attempt and he gets executed by the Federation government infront of his father.
Yeah, I've read the light novel... and what you read (or at least the detail you're asking about here) is correct.
Spoiler
Hathaway Noa, alias Mufti Nabiyy Erin, and his Xi Gundam are defeated by EFSF 1st. Lt. Lane Aime and the Gundam Penelope during Mufti's failed attack on the Earth Federation general assembly in Adelaide, Australia. The Penelope destroys the Xi Gundam, and Hathaway is captured and sentenced to death on charges of terrorism by the Earth Federation. He was executed on 1 May UC 0105 by an EFF firing squad led (unknowingly) by his father Bright Noa.
If you have read the light novel, why did you think that Bright had unknowingly executed Hathaway? And that the Penelope defeats the Xi Gundam? Both are incorrect.

Seto Kaiba

Shinigam_Newtype wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:01 pm If you have read the light novel, why did you think that Bright had unknowingly executed Hathaway? And that the Penelope defeats the Xi Gundam? Both are incorrect.
Simply put, at the time I wrote that it'd been a long damn time since I read it... and admittedly the UC stuff starts to blur together for me after a while since there's so little variety in the storytelling. :|

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

I've re-read the first volume fairly recently, though I didn't finish since I got distracted by the discovery that Yen On had released a few more volumes of Overlord.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Mafty

Would they have to rewrite the novels story to match the anime? It could still work as a CCA Movie Sequel. It doesn't seem as though anyone knew how Chan died (Except probably Amuro). Plus Hathway could still harbor guilt over not saving Quess, even if he didn't directly cause her death.
Seto Kaiba

Mafty wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:37 am Would they have to rewrite the novels story to match the anime? It could still work as a CCA Movie Sequel. It doesn't seem as though anyone knew how Chan died (Except probably Amuro). Plus Hathway could still harbor guilt over not saving Quess, even if he didn't directly cause her death.
... that's actually a REALLY good question.

I'd have to ask someone who's bought it to check, but what information I could find from the publisher (Kadokawa) is that they're releasing a new edition/reprint of the light novel. Volume 1 apparently dropped back on February 26th. No word that I can find if this is a straight reprint, or an updated "modernized" edition.

It'll be interesting to see if this comes full circle to a light novel adaptation of the anime adapted from the light novel. I'm used to the way Macross handles its light novels, where there are light novel adaptations of the individual animated works, even if they're TV and movie versions of the same story, but I'm not familiar enough with Sunrise's attitudes towards the LN market to guess what they'd do.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Cybaster

Shinigam_Newtype wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:01 pm If you have read the light novel, why did you think that Bright had unknowingly executed Hathaway? And that the Penelope defeats the Xi Gundam? Both are incorrect.
IIRC, Kenneth deliberately kept Mafty's identity hidden from Bright even up to when and after Hathaway was executed --- it was only when the Federation higher-ups decided to leak this to the media and newspapers in the final chapter (and further distort the truth for propaganda purposes, saying that Bright *already knew* that Hathaway was Mafty well beforehand and actively made the decision to execute his own son 'for the good of the Federation and Earth Sphere') that the whole affair got blown wide open --- Bright's reaction to this was never mentioned and is pretty much left open to our imagination. This event also serves IIRC to completely disillusion Kenneth and Gigi in the Federation entirely in its aftermath, getting him to prepare 'for the next Mafty to appear'.

(If fanon is to be believed, it is rumored that this event was also what drove Kenneth to side with the Buch Conzern later on and inadvertently bringing about the events of F91 and Crossbone Gundam 20 years later. No idea where *this* crackpot theory even originated from though...)
Don't throw the baton, you jacka**!!!
Mafty

Tomino does seems to leave the fate of long running characters up to the viewers imagination at times particularly if it seems we last see them in a bad place. We never see Frau, Letz, Kikka or the baby after Zeta Gundam(Hayato mentions he couldn't even bring himself to tell them of Katz's death, shortly before his own).And there are so many fans in different countries that the Novels never got exported to, that it ultimately seems as though the fandom view on the story is different from how it actually is.(it's common to see people describe Bright and his family opening a restaurant at the end of Hathway's Flash, even though this apparently doesn't happen).

Also now that Hathway's Flash is getting a movie, do you think this means there will be an English translation of the Light Novel?
Chris
Administrator

Mafty wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:25 pmAlso now that Hathway's Flash is getting a movie, do you think this means there will be an English translation of the Light Novel?
Highly doubt that would ever happen. Mecha is a super niche interest in the English-speaking anime world, and Gundam books don't have a great track record. We only ever managed to get the MSG novels, a partial release of the SEED light novels that Tokyopop abandoned partway through, and a release of the Gundam 00 light novels when Bandai Entertainment briefly dabbled in books.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his