New Feature-Length Live-Action Gundam Movie Incoming

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Mr_Wolverine

Re: New Feature-Length Live-Action Gundam Movie Incoming

Seto Kaiba wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:22 pm
Mr_Wolverine wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:30 am But if you prefer "impossible", I'll rectify my previous statement here: "It's IMPOSSIBLE to a mere stunt pilot to perform (and even to know accurately) the above combat manouvers while also successfully avoiding enemy fire and -at the same time- focusing on hitting a target."
"Rectifying" your argument to take it from fallacious to total and outright contradiction of the facts seems unwise.

Most of your argument is based on misremembered details or incorrect statements, and at several points you're conflating events in two different Star Wars movies. That's really neither here nor there though, so I've deleted my original reply addressing your last post.

Ironically, the whole point I was originally making was that it made no sense to start whining about possibly having a Gundam story made like the last main Star Wars feature because the very points that were being cited as crippling flaws in Star Wars are standard Gundam tropes.
No, Seto, I pretty much destroyed your argumentations one after the other, and even you know that. You deleted your answer because it couldn't stand on its legs. Maybe you aren't able to acknowledge that, but it doesn't matter anymore, in respect of what other users asked but... even more according to what Sunrise CEO Yasuo Miyakawa revealed yesterday:
http://news.mixi.jp/view_news.pl?id=520 ... =view_news

Ok, gentlemen, it's official: Gundam's pilot will be an unexperienced, non-military and reluctant hero. Maybe Amuro Ray?

It also deals with agreement details between Legendary and Sunrise... if it's all real, Gundam is in very good hands and the possibility of repeating Ghost in The Shell mistakes almost impossible...
Seto Kaiba

Mr_Wolverine wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:36 pm No, Seto, I pretty much destroyed your argumentations one by one, and even you know that.
The post I deleted was a small novella's worth of corrections to your MANY failures of fact-checking, so no... not even close. :lol:

Mr_Wolverine wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:36 pm Ok, guys, it's official: Gundam's pilot will be an unexperienced and reluctant hero. Maybe Amuro Ray?
That's not quite what Mr. Miyakawa said. He didn't say the protagonist would be inexperienced or reluctant, only that the protagonist wouldn't become a muscular, gung-ho soldier type. In context with the preceding remark, that the movie wouldn't end up saddled with a standard American action movie protagonist. That leaves it open to most of the spectrum of Gundam protagonists and a fair bit outside of that spectrum too.

EDIT: Basically, it boils down to "anyone who isn't Io Fleming".

Yasuo Miyakawa wrote:まず、ファンの皆さんに安心していただきたいのは、実写化しても"ガンダムはガンダムである"ということ。ライセンス契約だけして制作をアメリカに丸投げすると、原作にリスペクトのない出来の悪い映画になってしまうことがありますよね。

そうならないように、アメリカの映画会社(レジェンダリー)とうち(サンライズ)が共同開発するという契約にしたんです。
Nice to know Mr. Miyakawa's savvy enough to realize the American side of things needs to be kept on a SHORT leash to prevent the film from becoming something that doesn't respect the source material.

(I almost feel like this was a stealthy dig at G-Saviour...)

EDIT: Had to fix some broken bbcode in the second section.
Last edited by Seto Kaiba on Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Deathzealot

You know something. I just rewatched Turn-A Gundam and now I am wondering if they are going to get Syd Mead to do the mecha designs for this movie since he does have the experience with Gundam after all. Granted I know he is in his eighties but if Tomino could produce G-Reco in his seventies I think Syd could be called up to do something else for Gundam in his eighties.
Mr_Wolverine

Seto Kaiba wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:14 pm
Mr_Wolverine wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:36 pm No, Seto, I pretty much destroyed your argumentations one by one, and even you know that.
The post I deleted was a small novella's worth of corrections to your MANY failures of fact-checking, so no... not even close. :lol:
Yeah, of course, whatever... :lol:

Seto Kaiba wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:14 pm
Mr_Wolverine wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:36 pm Ok, gentlemen, it's official: Gundam's pilot will be an unexperienced, non-military reluctant hero. Maybe Amuro Ray?
That's not quite what Mr. Miyakawa said. He didn't say the protagonist would be inexperienced or reluctant, only that the protagonist wouldn't become a muscular, gung-ho soldier type. In context with the preceding remark, that the movie wouldn't end up saddled with a standard American action movie protagonist. That leaves it open to most of the spectrum of Gundam protagonists and a fair bit outside of that spectrum too.

Yasuo Miyakawa wrote:まず、ファンの皆さんに安心していただきたいのは、実写化しても"ガンダムはガンダムである"ということ。ライセンス契約だけして制作をアメリカに丸投げすると、原作にリスペクトのない出来の悪い映画になってしまうことがありますよね。

そうならないように、アメリカの映画会社(レジェンダリー)とうち(サンライズ)が共同開発するという契約にしたんです。
Nice to know Mr. Miyakawa's savvy enough to realize the American side of things needs to be kept on a SHORT leash to prevent the film from becoming something that doesn't respect the source material.

(I almost feel like this was a stealthy dig at G-Saviour...)

EDIT: Had to fix some broken bbcode in the second section.
Oh, Seto, PLEASE, stop it! Stop trying to gain the upper hand, it's childish.
Can you read Japanese?
He literally says: "the hero won't be in the military. If this movie had that kind of hero, even if he's piloting a Gundam, it wouldn't be faithful to Gundam (meaning the franchise's concept)*. I want him to be as close as I can to the original"...
*The part in brackets is present in the original Japanese text.
Seto Kaiba

Deathzealot wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:22 pm You know something. I just rewatched Turn-A Gundam and now I am wondering if they are going to get Syd Mead to do the mecha designs for this movie since he does have the experience with Gundam after all.
Possible, I guess... though Turn-A was kind of an acquired taste, design-wise, even in Gundam's existing fandom. I'd imagine they'll go for something close to the more iconic appearance of your standard Gundam and mono-eye Zaku-like designs.

Mr_Wolverine wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:58 pm Oh, Seto, PLEASE, stop it! Stop trying to gain the upper hand, it's childish.
When your statements don't need correction, I won't correct them. It's that simple. :wink:

Mr_Wolverine wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:58 pm Can you read Japanese?
Yes, I have a fair level of proficiency in the language.

I've been translating artbooks as a hobby for about fifteen years now. Mostly Macross stuff, though I have dabbled here and there in Gundam, Five Star Stories, and a few other titles.

Mr_Wolverine wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:58 pm He literally says: "the hero won't be in the military. If this movie had that kind of hero, even if he's piloting a Gundam, it wouldn't be faithful to Gundam (meaning the franchise's concept)*. I want hom to be as close as the original"...
Not quite. You're omitting some relevant portions of the text in your "interpretation".

The interviewer literally asks Miyakawa if the hero will be a "[militant/belligerent] soldier" (好戦的な軍人) with "bulging muscles" (筋肉モリモリ).

Miyakawa says "It won't be" and follows up by saying that if you had a protagonist like that (a belligerent soldier with bulging muscles), it wouldn't be Gundam anymore even if he were piloting a Gundam, and that he would like to protect the likeness of the original work.

At no point does Miyakawa say that the protagonist will not be a soldier. All that's literally said there is that the protagonist won't be the type of soldier the interviewer asked about... the gung-ho musclebound sort that's stereotypically associated with American action movies (which is probably why the interviewer felt compelled to ask).
The Macross Mecha Manual
Mr_Wolverine

Seto Kaiba wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:29 pm
Mr_Wolverine wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:58 pm Oh, Seto, PLEASE, stop it! Stop trying to gain the upper hand, it's childish.
When your statements don't need correction, I won't correct them. It's that simple.
:lol:
Oh, please kid, jump down from your imaginary high horse, you're not in the position of correcting anyone here. And I'm showing you once more.
Mr_Wolverine wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:58 pm Can you read Japanese?
Yes, I have a fair level of proficiency in the language.

I've been translating artbooks as a hobby for about fifteen years now. Mostly Macross stuff, though I have dabbled here and there in Gundam, Five Star Stories, and a few other titles.
So you not only misunderstood all the above stuff, but you're also reaponsible for ruining other people's understanding! I'm impressed!
Mr_Wolverine wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:58 pm He literally says: "the hero won't be in the military. If this movie had that kind of hero, even if he's piloting a Gundam, it wouldn't be faithful to Gundam (meaning the franchise's concept)*. I want hom to be as close as the original"...
Not quite. You're omitting some relevant portions of the text in your "interpretation".

The interviewer literally asks Miyakawa if the hero will be a "[militant/belligerent] soldier" (好戦的な軍人) with "bulging muscles" (筋肉モリモリ).

Miyakawa says "It won't be" and follows up by saying that if you had a protagonist like that (a belligerent soldier with bulging muscles), it wouldn't be Gundam anymore even if he were piloting a Gundam, and that he would like to protect the likeness of the original work.

At no point does Miyakawa say that the protagonist will not be a soldier. All that's literally said there is that the protagonist won't be the type of soldier the interviewer asked about... the gung-ho musclebound sort that's stereotypically associated with American action movies (which is probably why the interviewer felt compelled to ask).
even so, the conceptual amount of your so-called "correction" is laughable, but it's also wrong!

INTERVIEWER
―では、
-So,

筋肉モリモリ
[an]All muscles

で好戦的な軍人が、
Combative Soldier

主人公になるようなことはない?
Is not going to be the hero [of the movie]?

宮河 MIYAKAWA
ないです。
He won't be [that]

そんな主人公だったら、
with that type of a hero,

たとえ乗るロボットがガンダムでも、
even if he's piloting a Gundam,

それはもう(作品として)"ガンダム"ではありませんから。
that won't be anymore "Gundam" (meaning "a chapter of the work").

作品らしさは守っていきたいと思っています。
I want to stay close to the original.

(Mr_Wolverine served for 12 years at Yokosuka naval base)

Now, please concentrate, Seto. Because the part that would sound harder to you is not in Japanese, but plain English! :lol:

-if the hero is not a soldier, he's a "non-military" man, so I was right;
-if the hero fights but he is a not combative guy, he's a reluctant fighter. So I was right again.

Now you'll answer saying I'm the one who is wrong. Blah blah blah... I'm laughing in advance already.

You can keep up with that attitude. But what will you do when the lead role will be revealed, and he will be a teen actor? What will you do when the first trailer will portray him as a civilian? Where will you hide? :lol:
Seto Kaiba

Mr_Wolverine wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:03 pm Oh, please kid, jump down from your imaginary high horse, you're not in the position of correcting anyone here. And I'm showing you once more.
So far, you've only managed to show that you don't check your facts and are apparently really determined to see other users here as beneath you in some imaginary hierarchy.

Mr_Wolverine wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:03 pm even so, the conceptual amount of your so-called "correction" is laughable, but it's also wrong!
Even your own translation (which has a few minor inaccuracies) doesn't support your interpretation. You're not taking the statement as it is given, you're making unsupportable inferences based on individual words in the question rather than the question as it is phrased.

As both our translations concur, the interviewer asked Mr. Miyakawa if the hero of the live-action film was not going to be a heavily muscled, aggressive soldier. The question doesn't separate out "will the hero be a soldier?", "will he be aggressive?" and "will he have bulging muscles?". What you're arguing here is akin to saying that the statement "There will not be a red car" rules out the presence of all red-colored objects and cars of all colors rather than just specifically red cars.

Mr_Wolverine wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:03 pm -if the hero is not a soldier, he's a "non-military" man, so I was right;
-if the hero fights but he is a not combative guy, he's a reluctant fighter. So I was right again.
You're trying to treat these as separate clauses... which they weren't in the question as asked. That's the point I'm making here.

Mr. Miyakawa's answer indicates only that the hero will not be an "aggressive soldier with bulging muscles", it doesn't individually rule out the character being a soldier OR aggressive OR having big muscles. Only the specific combination of those things in the question he was asked.

Note carefully the next statement about how, if you had a hero like that, it wouldn't be Gundam even if the hero was piloting a Gundam. Mr. Miyakawa has worked on a number of Gundam shows, in which the hero has been aggressive/combative, a soldier, or both. Your interpretation here doesn't make sense in terms of either the literal text or in context with the Gundam franchise. After all, Mr. Miyakawa was Executive Producer on Gundam SEED Destiny, which has a notoriously aggressive career soldier as its protagonist. He was also a producer on Stardust Memory, and Kou was a soldier who got pretty darn aggressive near the end of that too. I'm pretty sure he's not arguing that those aren't Gundam shows. (Not that I'd miss Gundam SEED Destiny if he was...)

Mr_Wolverine wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:03 pm You can keep up with that attitude. But what will you do when the lead role will be revealed, and he will be a teen actor? What will you do when the first trailer will portray him as a civilian? Where will you hide? :lol:
It won't provoke any significant reaction from me. You're attempting to misrepresent my position. I am not saying the hero WILL be a soldier. What I AM saying is that the ONLY thing that has been ruled out WRT the main character is "an aggressive soldier with bulging muscles", as per the question actually asked and answered in the interview.

The protagonist could be a soldier at the start like Kou Uraki or Shiro Amada. He could be a civilian all the way like Kamille Bidan or Uso Ebbing. He could be a draftee like Amuro Rey or Kira Yamato. He could be a mercenary like Mikazuki Augus. He could be a shrinking violet like Saji Crossroad or have serious issues with pent-up aggression like Shinn Asuka. He could be an ordinary kid or he could be shredded. Mr. Miyakawa didn't rule out those traits as a whole, only one specific combination of them.

If they decide to go for an a typical "horrors of war" angle ala UC Gundam, I suspect the protagonist will be in their late teens to avoid any squeamishness in the audience over the subject of child soldiers...
The Macross Mecha Manual
ShadowCell

Wolverine, knock it off with the personal attacks and condescension, or your return to this forum will be brief.