New Feature-Length Live-Action Gundam Movie Incoming

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Deathzealot

New Feature-Length Live-Action Gundam Movie Incoming

Just announced a few hours ago is that Sunrise and Legendary Entertainment is due to develop a new feature-length live-action Gundam movie. I shall add what a I commented on the announcement video.
Lets hope it is going to be better then G-Savior... Though with a company like Legendary behind it. It maybe far better. Though I have to ask is this movie going to be about the regular Mobile Suit Gundam, similar to the Space Battleship Yamato live-action movie, or is it going to be another of the AU Gundam Timelines or create a brand new timeline. I really don't know which I would like better, but I think I would like Legendary and Sunrise to take a Marvel approach to the Gundam Universe. That said, an interesting idea and I can't wait for it.
So let's discuss this. Any thoughts? Anyone not hyped about this?

Announcement Video
Henyo

Re: New Feature-Length Live-Action Gundam Movie Incoming

not averse to it. but not exactly excited either. also, i am not going to use the Gundam's appearance in Ready Player One as a good indicator of a Gundam working in love action.(i'm guessing some people will.)

Legendary entertainment sounds familiar. but i can't recall their works. isn't it a Chinese production house? or maybe that was Golden Harvest i'm recalling.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Seto Kaiba

Deathzealot wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:21 am So let's discuss this. Any thoughts? Anyone not hyped about this?
I've neither forgotten nor forgiven G-Saviour or any of the other western attempts at live-action versions of anime, so no... definitely NOT hyped for this.

The American film industry long ago lost touch with basic aspects of its art like subtlety, pacing, atmosphere, nuance, subtext, and natural-sounding dialog. It's a fairly safe bet that Gundam will find itself made to fit one of two molds:
  • Your standard American action movie, in which a generically handsome Schwarzenegger-esque man-moose of an actor with all the emotional range of a department store mannequin growls a seemingly never-ending series of one-liners that read like the writer was coming off a heavy dose of dental anesthetic while shooting his way through the plot in pursuit of an ill-defined goal while the surroundings periodically explode (including things that have no business exploding) like the local car wash started using nitroglycerin instead of water.
  • Your standard American dystopian young adult story, in which a generically handsome or pretty teen with a permanently-concussed expression who repeatedly insists how plain and unattractive and untalented they are Mary Sues their way through a series of green screens in pursuit of a badly explained plot and the affections of one or more flat character love interests who look like rejects from a Calvin Klein catalog and behave like the script started as a Zoolander fanfic. A bunch of kids will die for no clear reason, but that won't matter because the plot will focus on stereotypical teenage angst instead.
Ghost in the Shell was the closest an American anime adaptation has come to success, and that was still an embarrassing flop that had to devote half its story to explaining why it whitewashed the protagonist. This, well, I suspect we're looking at Gundam's version of Dragon Ball Evolution. :P
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Kuruni

I'll be more happy if they join force with eitehr Bollywood or Tollywood...

(well, humor aside, I will wait and see).
Last edited by Kuruni on Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Deathzealot

The thing is that it isn't just an US Film Company who is doing this movie Sunrise is going to have a large say in it's development. I hope this film will be a similar to that of the Space Battleship Yamato, that I mentioned earlier. Another good thing about this is that Sunrise isn't partnering with an independent film studio like they did with G-Savior. This is the same studio that brought us Nolan's Batman Movies, Warcraft movie, and the Pacific Rim movies. So it maybe different this time.

That said, my official stance on this is: Wait and See with a Dash of Excitement. I shall wait and see how this movie goes before I give anything further on it though I am slightly excited about it.

EDIT: Legendary also brought us the Expanse TV Series through its TV Division.
Ceiling_Squid

Very hard for me to muster much excitement for this. It's likely going to be watered down and Hollywoodized, like every other anime adaptation lately. It'll probably be unsatisfying to classic 0079 superfans and alienating/confusing to casual fans, whos' only exposure to Gundam was the alternate-universe Wing back in the old days of Toonami. For better or worse, Wing is still the American mainstream's image of Gundam.

The risky and bold thing to do would be to take the war-is-hell and generational friction themes of Gundam and use them to tell a self-contained, new story. Gundam, as a franchise, has a tradition of AUs that began with G Gundam back in 1994. It strikes me as a bit irresponsible to ignore this possibility when shopping a live action film in the franchise.

I'd be more curious about this film if they weren't trying to translate 0079 to the screen -- they should totally tell an alternate Gundam story within a totally new continuity. Now THAT would be cool - it'd be something new for existing fans, wouldn't upset purists with the shortfalls of an adaptation, and would be something fresh for the mainstream audience that isn't bound by existing works.

Edit: Their press-release description of the basic premise of the original Gundam is also so incredibly stripped-bare and bland that I'm not getting good vibes. I realize it's probably written to pitch to general audiences, but god, does it seem lacking in any detail or nuance.
The original Gundam series is set in the Universal Century, an era in which humanity’s growing population has led people to emigrate to space colonies. Eventually, the people living in the colonies seek their autonomy, and launch a war of independence against the people living on Earth. Through the tragedies and discord arising from this human conflict, not only the maturation of the main character, but also the intentions of enemies and the surrounding people are sensitively depicted.
Ryujin

i really enjoyed the Wachowski-helmed Speed Racer movie.
pirx

No. No. And NO. In trend with latest Hollywood tendencies it will have nobody female protagonist Amura Rey which will magically learn to pilot Gundam without any prior pilot experience, will have whiny emo-Char which aforementioned protagonist will beat senseless despite his huge experience and training and useless Dewgwin Zabi in golden bathrobe. Not to mention female Bright Noa with purple hair.
Omega

Also, Legendary did the Godzilla movie in 2014, then both Pacific Rim movies

I admit, i'll buy the Gunpla for this movie if the designs are interesting, but yeah... Not too thrilled.
pirx

First Pacific Rim was nice. I would say it is the best Holywood-made mecha movie so far. Far better than G-Saviour anyway
Seto Kaiba

pirx wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:05 am No. No. And NO. In trend with latest Hollywood tendencies it will have nobody female protagonist Amura Rey which will magically learn to pilot Gundam without any prior pilot experience, will have whiny emo-Char which aforementioned protagonist will beat senseless despite his huge experience and training and useless Dewgwin Zabi in golden bathrobe. Not to mention female Bright Noa with purple hair.
So, a fairly typical Universal Century Gundam story then?

Seriously. Take out the derision and you've listed a set of fairly standard plot points for almost any Universal Century Gundam story:
  • A "nobody" kid from the space boonies falls into the cockpit of a Gundam and is inexplicably revealed to be a natural mobile suit pilot who, despite having no formal training, is able to brutally beat down seasoned pros who've trained for YEARS... partly thanks to innate psychic powers they didn't know they had.
  • A brooding masked man with a vile and sadistic temper driven by past wrongs and freighted with a small country's worth of emotional baggage works for the baddies, gets his butt whipped by the nobody kid out of nowhere and spends the rest of the story alternately raging against his repeated public humiliations by that nobody kid and teamkilling his own superiors and peers, often being "redeemed" when it turns out he really DOES care about someone.
  • The enemy leader is a nigh-useless figurehead in a silly military uniform with entirely too much gold trim and will be killed off and replaced at the 11th hour by someone much more competent and threatening.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Amion

I will pretend I chose not to log onto Mechatalk today and leave here the disturbing news that I found. If this movie somehow survives to plague the box office, I will be surprised when I see the first previews wherever they happen to ambush me. :P

Edit: in response to Seito Kaiba:

Amuro did not curb-stomp Char in the original anime, it was the Gundam's AI-pilot doing the heavy lifting, and the Luna-Titanium keeping him alive. Char runs literal circles around him in the beginning.

And Char doesn't brood. He also doesn't have a vile and sadistic temper, I don't think he even flies into rage even once save out of frustration fighting the modern fighter jet equivalent in his poor bi-plain Zaku. He spends most of his time otherwise flashing flippant smiles while he plans his vile and sadistic revenge. :D

And... exactly which Universal Century villain are you even referring to here? The criteria don't even begin to touch Ghiren, Kycillia, Haman, Sirocco, Iron Mask, Tassilo, Kagati and certainly not Dogati or Char in Counterattack mode. :lol:
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Seto Kaiba

Amion wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:35 pm Amuro did not curb-stomp Char in the original anime, it was the Gundam's AI-pilot doing the heavy lifting, and the Luna-Titanium keeping him alive. Char runs literal circles around him in the beginning.
Same difference... despite Amuro being an untrained newbie nobody who was literally thumbing through the user manual, the Gundam under his control still soundly whipped highly trained soldiers time and time again.

Amion wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:35 pm And Char doesn't brood. He also doesn't have a vile and sadistic temper, [...]
... we're literally talking about a man who spent his entire adult life furiously plotting to murder the entire family of a man he believes - without any hard evidence - assassinated his father. He even makes a point to call up several of his victims to gloat before they snuff it. He's even worse in Origin, where his rage-quest for revenge-murder even has him setting up complete innocents to die messily if it gets him closer to those wacky Zabis.

Amion wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:35 pm And... exactly which Universal Century villain are you even referring to here? The criteria don't even begin to touch Ghiren, Kycillia, Haman, Sirocco, Iron Mask, Tassilo, Kagati and certainly not Dogati or Char in Counterattack mode. :lol:
A fair few on that list are the ones who killed and replaced their less-capable superiors to take over as the big bad. Gihren, Kycilia, and Scirocco for starters...
The Macross Mecha Manual
pirx

Somehow it works in anime, heh, but as movie... nope.
Seto Kaiba

pirx wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:43 am Somehow it works in anime, heh, but as movie... nope.
I think we've probably got a bigger problem... that American filmmakers NEVER manage to successfully bring the feel of the original work across, and it usually ends up pretty ham.

I live in fear that we'll get a Gundam movie that watches like those live action cutscenes from Command and Conquer.
The Macross Mecha Manual
tHeWasTeDYouTh

Seto Kaiba wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:08 am
Deathzealot wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:21 am So let's discuss this. Any thoughts? Anyone not hyped about this?
I've neither forgotten nor forgiven G-Saviour or any of the other western attempts at live-action versions of anime, so no... definitely NOT hyped for this.

The American film industry long ago lost touch with basic aspects of its art like subtlety, pacing, atmosphere, nuance, subtext, and natural-sounding dialog. It's a fairly safe bet that Gundam will find itself made to fit one of two molds:
  • Your standard American action movie, in which a generically handsome Schwarzenegger-esque man-moose of an actor with all the emotional range of a department store mannequin growls a seemingly never-ending series of one-liners that read like the writer was coming off a heavy dose of dental anesthetic while shooting his way through the plot in pursuit of an ill-defined goal while the surroundings periodically explode (including things that have no business exploding) like the local car wash started using nitroglycerin instead of water.
  • Your standard American dystopian young adult story, in which a generically handsome or pretty teen with a permanently-concussed expression who repeatedly insists how plain and unattractive and untalented they are Mary Sues their way through a series of green screens in pursuit of a badly explained plot and the affections of one or more flat character love interests who look like rejects from a Calvin Klein catalog and behave like the script started as a Zoolander fanfic. A bunch of kids will die for no clear reason, but that won't matter because the plot will focus on stereotypical teenage angst instead.
Ghost in the Shell was the closest an American anime adaptation has come to success, and that was still an embarrassing flop that had to devote half its story to explaining why it whitewashed the protagonist. This, well, I suspect we're looking at Gundam's version of Dragon Ball Evolution. :P
I was watching a video by Japanese Man Yuta and it seems no one in japan cared that the character was white, not even the creator of Ghost in the Shell. People are just happy that something from Japan has fans in the west. American film industry will never be able to take anime and make a feature film for american audiences simply because they are not Japanese. It would be like Japanese trying to make a western movie with John Wayne, they can do it but it would be with a Japanese take on it and some people would complain because it is not like the source material.

I think this is happening because in Ready Player One the Rx-78 shows up and maybe the execs in Japan feel more comfortable now that a Spielberg movie showed their product. I still think it is a bad idea, G-Savior would have been 100 times better and maybe even a success if it was just a standard anime movie(never knew that G-Savior was a big multimedia project in Japan with the movie, ps2 game, novel and model kits. the zaft ginn is based on the bugu from g savior!!!)
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Seto Kaiba

tHeWasTeDYouTh wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:49 pm I was watching a video by Japanese Man Yuta and it seems no one in japan cared that the character was white, not even the creator of Ghost in the Shell. [...]
The problem wasn't necessarily that they'd whitewashed the character of Motoko Kusanagi... the problem, or at least the BIGGER problem, was that the film's producers and writers felt compelled to devote a significant part of the film to a completely unnecessary subplot explaining their stupid, pointless, racially-motivated decision.

tHeWasTeDYouTh wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:49 pm [...] American film industry will never be able to take anime and make a feature film for american audiences simply because they are not Japanese. It would be like Japanese trying to make a western movie with John Wayne, they can do it but it would be with a Japanese take on it and some people would complain because it is not like the source material.
There are enough examples of people who understand a particular genre or artistic style that's distinctly tied to one particular culture without actually belonging to that culture themselves that I don't really think it isn't theoretically possible for an American film studio to accurately ape the style of a Japanese one or vice versa.

My concern isn't that the American film industry can't do it right. What I'm concerned about is that the American film industry simply isn't willing to put in the effort because movies are no longer art to them. It's about making the maximum profit by churning out bland, insipid films that only seek to satisfy a theoretical lowest common denominator audience who ask nothing more than a convenient delivery system for tits and explosions.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

The best thing they could had done is to make an entirely new AU to go with the movie, without the baggage and fan's expectation. This whole ordeal seems to me like they have no idea whether are they pandering to the fans, or trying to create a new fanbase.

Having just recently finished Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters and Isle of Dogs, I actually have confident that there are Western filmakers who understand and appreciate Japanese artistic works.
ShadowCell

False Prophet wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:36 pmThe best thing they could had done is to make an entirely new AU to go with the movie, without the baggage and fan's expectation.
but that's when the fans cry bloody murder because you didn't follow their expectations.
pirx

I don't think Gundam fanbase outside of Japan is big enough to warrant huge big-screen production. Does Japanese fanbase want live-action Gundam i don't know. Judging from the lack of such movies before i suppose they don't.