The Official Gundam Narrative Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
YokozunaBulldozer

The Official Gundam Narrative Anime Thread Mk I

A new Gundam show will be announced April 20th, 2018 6:00 PM JST/5:00 AM EST/2:00 AM PST.
The announcement will feature the following guests:

Namikawa Daisuke(Al Izuruha from Gundam 0080, Michael Trinity from Gundam 00, Riddhe Marcenas from Gundam UC)

Hamaguchi Masaru(partner of Game Center CX host Arino Shinya as part of comedy duo Yoiko)

Fukui Harutoshi(author of Gundam UC)

Ogata Yoshihiro(producer of Gundam UC OVAs, Gundam Thunderbolt DECEMBER SKY)

Miyagawa Yasuo(president of Sunrise)
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Deathzealot

Re: New Gundam Show To Be Announced April 20th, 2018

Hmmm... more info on the Gundam 00 sequel perhaps? Or something else?
SonicSP

I think it’s unlikely to be the 00 sequel because the teaser for that was just a few days ago.

That said if it is, I won’t conplain since I want more info on that.
YokozunaBulldozer

The clues for me so far are that Namikawa is the only voice actor in the presentation and the domain gundam-nt.net was registered by Sunrise this month. Maybe it is a show where Namikawa plays the hero and Newtypes are all the rage again? Or maybe a 0080 sequel where Namikawa reprises his role as a grown-up Al and pilots or is somehow related to a successor to NT-1 Alex.
SonicSP wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:11 am I think it’s unlikely to be the 00 sequel because the teaser for that was just a few days ago.

That said if it is, I won’t conplain since I want more info on that.
Thing about the whole 00 stuff recently though was that the whole Graham and Leatitia thing was a voice-only stage play during the show's 10th Anniversary event and that they announced the live action stage play will perform next February. But then again, this could be a new Anno Domini Gundam show loosely related to 00 as well, kind of like how the original Gundam show and F91 share the same universe.
Deathzealot

I was thinking that the Gundam 00 Sequel would be about the war with the Old Human Faction as mentioned in a couple of the mangas and some of the background stuff. So maybe a movie or an OVA? That is what I am hoping for, but I really don't want another UC show right now. We have Origin maybe going right into the original series. Unless it is based later on in the universe like around the time of the F-91 or something like that.
SonicSP

YokozunaBulldozer wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:04 amThing about the whole 00 stuff recently though was that the whole Graham and Leatitia thing was a voice-only stage play during the show's 10th Anniversary event and that they announced the live action stage play will perform next February. But then again, this could be a new Anno Domini Gundam show loosely related to 00 as well, kind of like how the original Gundam show and F91 share the same universe.
Depends on how you define 00 I guess. Based on how AU shows have been marketed in the past, the sequel project will most likely be Gundam 00 labeled since series branding is very tied to the name, unlike with UC.

Whether it will feature returning 00 cast and how related to the existing 00 story is hard to tell. The short teaser for the 00 sequel had Neil Lockon and ELS Setsuna talking to each other I believe but doesn’t mean it will feature them (especially the former).
zetatype

Considering we have the author of the Unicorn novels and 2 other people who worked on the OVA series, I'm inclined to believe this new project is somehow connected to Gundam Unicorn. While Namikawa and Ogata have worked on more than one gundam series, Fukui's only credit that is gundam related is the Unicorn novels. Seems a bit odd to me to have him as a guest star unless the new project was related to the only thing the man is known for in the gundam franchise.
YokozunaBulldozer wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:04 am The clues for me so far are that Namikawa is the only voice actor in the presentation and the domain gundam-nt.net was registered by Sunrise this month. Maybe it is a show where Namikawa plays the hero and Newtypes are all the rage again? Or maybe a 0080 sequel where Namikawa reprises his role as a grown-up Al and pilots or is somehow related to a successor to NT-1 Alex.
I completely forgot about the the nt.net domain. However, nt is very vague and I'm more inclined to believe it just stands for newtype rather than something connected to 0080. Granted the fact that Al's VA is a guest star does lend some support to the idea. But at the same time, Namikawa has voiced at least 4 other characters in the gundam franchise, so this could just be sunrise bringing back a veteran of the franchise to voice an original main character. But who knows, maybe it is something related to both 0080 and Unicorn.
E08

Fukui also has some involvement with Moon Gundam
YokozunaBulldozer

Title confirmed as Mobile Suit Gundam Narrative. It is set a year after Unicorn and will deal with the 3rd Unicorn suit Phenex. The main mobile suit however is going to be a new suit called Narrative Gundam.
What weirded me out at first was that they addressed how people thought it was gonna be about a new UC show with a grown-up Al just like how I speculated because Namikawa was the only voice actor there so I found that hilarious despite being wrong.
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
SonicSP

Narrative (or Phenex or something at least) looks like it’s generating the green GN Particles from 00 in some of the promo pictures. It’s like a theme of sorts in the marketing.

I mean it’s probabaly not actually generating it of course (unless they’re going for a weird Black History tie in thing), but the graphics looks like it’s copy pasted directly from the 00 anime itself. Not that I’m complaining cos I super love that effect.
domino

Preview video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1PZMNlkq4k

In it, the Phenex has a blue newtype glow around it. Has it gone rogue? Fallen into the wrong hands? Arguably Banshee should still be operable so I wonder if Riddhe will play a role in this
YokozunaBulldozer

domino wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:26 am Preview video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1PZMNlkq4k

In it, the Phenex has a blue newtype glow around it. Has it gone rogue? Fallen into the wrong hands? Arguably Banshee should still be operable so I wonder if Riddhe will play a role in this
That is going to be the main focus it seems according to the announcement. It will be about where was it all this time since it went MIA.
Also they said something along the line of that they want stories from Unicorn and onwards to be the new focus of the Universal Century so I guess more new UC era shows onwards instead of just retreading the One-Year or Gryphs for example.
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
SonicSP

It seems that all three projects: Narrative, Hathaway’s Flash and Unicorn 2 will be related and share the same world view so I won’t be surprised if some Unicorn characters return.
False Prophet

Re: The Official Gundam Narrative Anime Thread Mk I

Anyone here surprised by how little had Laplace Box changed the world since then? Of course, it could be because it had only been one year - just gathering evidences for an impeachment takes longer than that - but then Sunrise shouldn't had shot themself in the feet and write in the taglines: "...the framework of the world did not change significantly..."

Now I really want to pay to know how much of an iron grip does the elites have over the media. Maybe Anaheim does it like the Sinclair Broadcast Group in real life and buys all of the networks?
YokozunaBulldozer

Here are stuff that was on the official website

Story
U.C. 0097--
It has been one year since the opening of Laplace's Box.
Yet, it did not bring major change to the way the world was shaped despite the Universal Century charter mentioning the existance and rights of newtypes.

The incident later titled "The Laplace Incident" seemed to have concluded with Neo Zeon remnant forces called "The Sleeves" collapsing. It was during the final battle of that incident that two mobile suits fitted with Full Psycho Frames showed the power that surpassed human intellect. The two threatening suits, a white unicorn and a black lion, were eventually kept out of bounds from people's consciousness by being sealed away, and were to be forgotten...
However, the supposed mobile suit considered missing-in-action since two years ago, the RX-0 Unicorn Gundam Unit 3, has suddenly started making an appearance within the Earth sphere again. This golden "phoenix"... is called Phenex.

Characters
Jonah Bashta
25 years old. Affiliated with EFSF. Lieutenant class. Pilot of Narrative Gundam and is sent as reinforcement for Operation "Phoenix Hunt". He is a childhood friend of Michelle and Rita. He has a past of being a victim by the damage that occured in Australia during his childhood.

Michelle Luio
25 years old. Special Advisor to the Luio Company. She is such a good fortune-teller with divination sticks that she has gained absolute trust by those in politics and business. She boards the Clop-class cruiser Damascus, set to commence Operation "Phoenix Hunt", along with the Narrative Gundam.

Rita Bernal
Affiliated with EFSF. Lieutenant class. Pilot of the missing RX-0 Unicorn Gundam Unit 3 Phenex. Having been a victim of the incident in Australia, she has a past of being considered one of the miracle children.

Mecha
Narrative Gundam
A Mobile Suit manufactured by Anaheim Electronics Co. piloted by Jonah Bashta. It was developed as a test type model of the RX-93 Nu Gundam, and its components are made using the same parts as the Nu Gundam. Due to its main purpose being data acquirement, there is no armor attached to it and because of that the frame is exposed. It's only fixed armaments are its head vulcans, therefore it carries out Operation "Phoenix Hunt" by shifting through various armaments, thanks to the Luio Company.

Unicorn Gundam Unit 3 Phenex
The golden 3rd unit of the Unicorn Gundam built on the assembly data of Units 1 and 2 and is based off of the Psycho Frame that was shipped in advance. Ever since it caused a runaway incident in UC 0095 it has been considered missing.

Sinanju Stein
A prototype mobile suit developed as a test unit for the "UC Project" to find out the Psycho Frame's strength/conformability. Its code name is Stein 01. It has been considered that it was stolen in UC 0094 while being transported by the Clop-class cruiser Unkai.
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:19 am, edited 7 times in total.
Deathzealot

Huh. Wasn't the Sinanju Stein stolen by the Sleeves and modified into Full Frontal's personal machine Sinanju?
domino

Deathzealot wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:10 am Huh. Wasn't the Sinanju Stein stolen by the Sleeves and modified into Full Frontal's personal machine Sinanju?
Definitely confusing. Unless they built two models, I'm assuming they'll be animating a flashback of the moment when Stein was stolen....or some other cameo.

It's interesting that the EFSF's reaction to the opening of Laplace Box was to do all it could to cover it up - including locking away the Unicorn & Banshee. While it says that the world did not change, it could have led to reduced funding of newtype research hence why we see less and less newtype mobile suits after the 0090s
YokozunaBulldozer

domino wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:03 pm
Deathzealot wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:10 am Huh. Wasn't the Sinanju Stein stolen by the Sleeves and modified into Full Frontal's personal machine Sinanju?
Definitely confusing. Unless they built two models, I'm assuming they'll be animating a flashback of the moment when Stein was stolen....or some other cameo.
I think so too. Stein definitely feels like it will be shown more in flashbacks.
domino

I'm concerned that this may end up being a bit half-assed similar to Twilight Axis with its very brief "episodes"

That said, it appears that there is a "villain" pilot for the Sinanju Stein so.....maybe there's a new model after all