The Official Gundam Narrative Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
yazi88

Re: The Official Gundam Narrative Anime Thread Mk I

From seeing the 24 ep preview of Narrative, rather than time travel, the context was that the generators of the mobile suit reactors hit by the Unicorn's psycho waves messed up the internal parts by pushing the parts apart. The video shows that the generator parts came apart.

This time travel line is being taken too literally.
SonicSP

yazi88 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:56 pm From seeing the 24 ep preview of Narrative, rather than time travel, the context was that the generators of the mobile suit reactors hit by the Unicorn's psycho waves messed up the internal parts by pushing the parts apart. The video shows that the generator parts came apart.

Considering the author of Unicorn stated it in a video interview prior to Narrative’s release, I’m not sure how to take it other than literally especially when the description we also got before the Narrative preview was released was that the affected reactors were being reverted to their pre-assembly state. The parts coming apart seem to fit that. Some paratranslations that I see some users from the novel in regards to the topic also mention the time travel thing in regards to pre-assembly.

Although I agree that it’s less time travel and more time reversal. There’s also supposedly alms bits from the original interview about the crystallization being the Psychoframe’s original raw material form but that part I’m not entirely sure yet was actually mentioned in the interview or not. That part isn’t in Narrative novel or preview I think.
Amion

True, but it is the only excuse I would accept for such a thing to be present in UC. The Unicorn's crazy crystal growths and diffusion of the Gryps laser was already too much for me to stomach. If they're going for the full-fledge newtype magic arts powers with this, they might as well go all the way and give me an interesting scenario.

Because what we got in that 26 minute clip felt like more or less all I care to watch. But maybe they can do more to interest me.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
latenlazy

yazi88 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:23 pm That Fighter plane is the core fighter of the Narrative Gundam.
Ah! And here I thought we might also be getting a sneaky Riddhe cameo.
SonicSP

Amion wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:48 am True, but it is the only excuse I would accept for such a thing to be present in UC. The Unicorn's crazy crystal growths and diffusion of the Gryps laser was already too much for me to stomach. If they're going for the full-fledge newtype magic arts powers with this, they might as well go all the way and give me an interesting scenario.

Because what we got in that 26 minute clip felt like more or less all I care to watch. But maybe they can do more to interest me.
Agreed, I’m not particular a big fan of it either (the time abilities I mean).

Also I read that the novels confirm both localized time reversal and time traveling ability of the Unicorn Gundam units.
Deacon Blues

SonicSP wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:20 am
yazi88 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:56 pm From seeing the 24 ep preview of Narrative, rather than time travel, the context was that the generators of the mobile suit reactors hit by the Unicorn's psycho waves messed up the internal parts by pushing the parts apart. The video shows that the generator parts came apart.

Considering the author of Unicorn stated it in a video interview prior to Narrative’s release, I’m not sure how to take it other than literally especially when the description we also got before the Narrative preview was released was that the affected reactors were being reverted to their pre-assembly state. The parts coming apart seem to fit that. Some paratranslations that I see some users from the novel in regards to the topic also mention the time travel thing in regards to pre-assembly.

Although I agree that it’s less time travel and more time reversal. There’s also supposedly alms bits from the original interview about the crystallization being the Psychoframe’s original raw material form but that part I’m not entirely sure yet was actually mentioned in the interview or not. That part isn’t in Narrative novel or preview I think.
The problem is the fact that Tokyosaurus provided no source for the clip so I'm calling BS on the claim. It was probabaly a mistranslation like the Thunderbolt interview.
SonicSP

Deacon Blues wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:01 amThe problem is the fact that Tokyosaurus provided no source for the clip so I'm calling BS on the claim. It was probabaly a mistranslation like the Thunderbolt interview.
Wasn’t the time manipulation ability of Unicorn confirmed in the Narrative novelization translation by Zeonic though?

I only skimmed through it in regards to this issue since I was trying to avoid unrelated spoilers until next month but I recall its mentioned a few times throughout.
False Prophet

SonicSP wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:30 am
Deacon Blues wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:01 amThe problem is the fact that Tokyosaurus provided no source for the clip so I'm calling BS on the claim. It was probabaly a mistranslation like the Thunderbolt interview.
Wasn’t the time manipulation ability of Unicorn confirmed in the Narrative novelization translation by Zeonic though?

I only skimmed through it in regards to this issue since I was trying to avoid unrelated spoilers until next month but I recall its mentioned a few times throughout.
Yeah, the Zeonic summary did confirmed time travel. Not that it affected the plot to a large degree.

Anyway, I don't know why, but the idea of giving a single or a small group of Newtypes so much power is irking me. Gundam has that kind of fatalism and emptiness that attract me, but this is just too much power.
False Prophet

yazi88 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:26 pm That custom Silver Bullet in the trailer with the beam magnum is hinting something about its pilot... cause it doesn't seem that a custom colored unit like that is used by the Federation forces...

And as for the novel, from what I've been hearing its pretty much a epilogue to Unicorn and also tell it's own story too. Even tells adds details about Unicorn anime that was omitted but was in the novels, especially Full Frontal's mission.
zetatype wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:58 pm
nacho-wan wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:32 pm It's just me or the last trailer gives the vibes that Rita's brain was pulled from here to be inserted into a NT death machine? Surely I'm exaggerating a bit, but I'm guessing that the Phenex backstory is creepy.

Aside from that, what's the deal with the psychotic Neo Zeong pilot? He sure seems like loose bullet who should be given a massive warmachine
I just figured they were just doing some generic surgery, but putting her brain into the Phenex does seem like a possibility.

As for Zoltan, there is a line in the last trailer that implies he's a failed attempt to recreate Char.
"That stupid failed Red Comet"
Given the track record of clones and cyber newtypes, it's no surprise he's crazy.
Yes and yes, your suspicion are confirmed.

And do you think it is the same Silver Bullet that Gael piloted back in Unicorn?
yazi88

It might be the same Silver Bullet that Gael used in the last OVA of Unicorn, but customized, cause aside from the different paint job and extra set of V-fins, the head is a bit different too. I'm guessing its joints might be strengthened too to wield a beam magnum, or maybe it can handle one in the 1st place since it can wield heavy weapons in the 1st place because its basis, the Doven Wolf was a heavy weapons MS. Unlike the Delta Plus which was a light unit in the 1st place and its joints were damaged from using the Beam magnum in OVA 4 of Unicorn....
Deacon Blues

False Prophet wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:27 am
SonicSP wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:30 am

Yeah, the Zeonic summary did confirmed time travel. Not that it affected the plot to a large degree.

Anyway, I don't know why, but the idea of giving a single or a small group of Newtypes so much power is irking me. Gundam has that kind of fatalism and emptiness that attract me, but this is just too much power.

My summary does not confirm time travel whatsoever. You are grossly mistaken if you think it does.
SonicSP

As I understand it, it only confirms the ability to reverse entropy/time of specific objects as opposed to actually traveling back in time, like turning a generator back into its pre-assembled state in the present day. And this ability is refered to as “turn back time” and “manipulate time” on one occasion each by characters in the summary.

It wouldn’t be able to for example, go back in time and change history or anything. At least not that we know off yet.
False Prophet

Deacon Blues wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:17 pm My summary does not confirm time travel whatsoever. You are grossly mistaken if you think it does.
On reading the summary again, you are right to calling me out (I mistakenly thought the sequence which the Phenex emitted rainbow light was it gave away a time-travelling effect). Sorry!
Amion

I just finished a rewatch of Encounters in Space. An interesting quote from Lalah as she dies: "One day Humanity might be able to control time itself." Or something to that effect. Then she tells Amuro that "I see time!" Then we have Zeta's whole "You will see the tears of time" quote it always gave...

Huh. Time travel now feels like a foreshadowed event, on some level.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Deathzealot

Ah! So we only get to see Banagher. We don't get see another other Unicorn character outside of Mineva. Grumble.
Dark Duel

Ugh. That blog post pretty much confirms everything I was afraid of going into this movie...not that I'm surprised.
Will I watch it? Maybe. But frankly, it's not high on my priorities list based on those summaries.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
SonicSP

I just finished watching Narrative in cinema and while I'm not the biggest UC fan in the world, I throughly enjoyed this. Greatly paced, good battle animation and surpringly enjoyable story in scene than on paper.

Reading some of the plot points beforehand, I wasn't expecting much but by the end of the movie I came out of it caring about the new characters a quite a lot, to the point where the Unicorn character cameos felt more like uncessary additions more than anything. Narrative was also a joy to watch in battle.

I wasn't expecting to enjoy the story much to be honest but I really did. Definitely another good addition to UC.
yazi88

Can you please verify about this time travel aspect? People are really taking that line too seriously and I want some proof its not a actual thing...
SonicSP

Depends on what you mean by time travel. Time manipulation of sorts does happen but not something like traveling to the past or anything like that.

Spoilers for some minor plot details, just to be safe.
Spoiler
As far as I can remember for the movie, Unicorn is confirmed to reverse time for the mobile suit reactors it hit with its Psychowave in the Unicorn series final battle by reverting them back to their preassembled state. This is referred to by characters in Narrative movie and novel as "power to control time" and one character in particular salivates at the potential of having something so powerful.

If it is something like time traveling back to the past and changing history, then we don't see that. The closest we get to that is a Newtype using their power to see the future and manipulating events based on what they want to happen or avoid. That is an ability that is seen and used in the movie.

However the movie basically makes Psychoframes to be some sort of super hax device that can do anything with a strong enough Newtype including conquering death, traveling at light speed, etc. So while we never saw them time travel to the past or anything, at this point I really wouldnt be surprised if they could. Psychoframes being able to do impossible things is basically a big part of the movie’s plot and background.

Their potential is to do magical stuff including those that bends physics and reality is more or less limitless and it is because of this potential that Federation and Zeon made a treaty outlawing the developement of Psychoframes after the end of Unicorn. They are just way too dangerous. It is also why Phenex is being hunted in the movie as a runway full Psychoframe with a powerful Newtype in it can be dangerous.......or extremely beneficial to a person who can grab and harness such forbidden power somehow.