The Official Gundam Build Divers Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
YokozunaBulldozer

The Official Gundam Build Divers Anime Thread Mk I

Official site: http://gundam-bd.net/

Prologue episode: http://gundam-bd.net/movies/

Stuff revealed so far
-Gundam Build Divers will start airing April 2018
-Gunpla Battle Nexus Online(GBN for short) is a network game where participants dubbed "divers" can enjoy various missions using gunpla inside the cyber virtual space known as "Dimension".
-Main protagonist is middle school student Minami Riku. His crew consists of friend Hidaka Yukio aka Yukki, and classmate Yashiro Momoka aka Momo.
-There is also a girl named Sara, who begins as an enigmatic character who can understand "special feelings" within gunpla.
-The Tatsuya/Meijin of the show will be Kujo Kyoya, current champion of GBN and leader the force named Avalon.
-The veteran of the show will be Rommel, a man who leads the force named 7th Panzer Division.
-In GBN people appear as virtual avatars.
-Gunpla battles consist of the classic 1 on 1 and a 10 vs 10 team battle mode called force
-Force consists of two 10-member teams dubbed "force" battling each other while looking for the hidden "flag" unit of the match, if the flag unit is taken out, the team that defeated the flag unit wins
- Riku's gunpla will be the Gundam 00 Diver, a gunpla based on the 00 Gundam.

Characters
Minami Riku: Diver name Riku. 14 year-old student who attends a school in a coastal city. He is highly-skilled allowing him to be good at things. However, deep within he is searching for something he can be passionate about. After seeing Kyoya's battle, He makes up his mind to participate in GBN.

Hidaka Yukio: Diver name Yukki. Riku's classmate and best friend. He loves Gundam anime so much that his knowledge is on par with a grown-up's. His skills as a builder is also on point making him a reliable diver in GBN for Riku.

Yashiro Momoka: Diver name Momo. She is Riku and Yukio's classmate and also a member of the girl's soccer team at school. She is very active, and was eager to get Riku into the soccer club, but after encountering gunpla and GBN she goes on to play alongside Riku. She strongly believes that all things cute are just.

Sara: A girl Riku and his friends meet inside GBN. She has a strange ability that allows her to understand the special feelings within gunplas that are put into by its builders.

Kujo Kyoya: Currently GBN's strongest diver, and holds the title of Champion. Although he is a gentleman and has a gentle appearance, he shows a fierce burning passion when it comes to gunpla battles. Riku adores him and hopes to be like him. Leads the force named Avalon.

Rommel: An influencial leader of the force named 7th Panzer Division. He is a strategist who is dubbed the "wise general" and enjoys a hard fight, but his outward appearance is on the pretty side. He is a long time rival and friend of Kyoya.

Gunpla
Gundam 00 Diver: Riku's gunpla based off of 00 Gundam. Due to Riku customizing it to his liking, such as adding verniers and wings to the cone thrusters, it has unexpected mobility and has obtained a good balance of offense and defense. It is a gunpla that shows what kind of grasp Riku has towards gunpla.

GM III Beam Master: Yukki's gunpla based off of GM III. Like its namesake, it is armed with beam weapons and its main weapon called changeling rifles allows various methods of attacks. The legs are further enforced to ensure stability when shooting, keeping its feet on the ground.

Momokapool: Momoka's gunpla based off of Kapool. It aims for cuteness and therefore is customized to resemble a penguin and also stores Mini Kapools. It got rid of the missile launchers because they are not cute, and its iron nails have also become rounder for cuteness, resulting in a downgrade in offense. But not all is lost as its speed has been enhanced.

Gundam AGEII Magnum: Kyoya's gunpla based off of Gundam AGE-2. It has been built under the concept of being a hi-spec gunpla for the champion, and by adding offensive capabilities on the wings and shields it can pull off offensive manuevers in every situation making it a super offense type gunpla. It also hase a variable Phoenix mode proving that it is a gunpla fit for the champion of GBN.

Grimore Red Beret: Rommel's gunpla based off of Grimore. Built under the concept of further expanding its functions, it has been refurbished realistically in various parts of the gunpla, directly showcasing the high-ranking abilities of its user. Be it small or large it has various optional parts at its disposal.

Ogre GN-X(fighter unknown): A gunpla based off of GN-X IV. It is customized to resemble an oni, and specializes in close combat. When in Trans-Am mode, the visor goes down, tranforming to one-eyed mode. It does not take its eyes off an opponent it has locked onto until that opponent is taken out.

Seravee Gundam Scheherazade(fighter unknown): A gunpla based off of Seravee Gundam. It boasts high maneuverability which contrasts its appearance, And based on its obvious fine craftsmanship it is a high performance gunpla with a high level of firepower. Whether it has a hidden gimmick like its predecessor suit Virtue is yet unknown.

Voice Cast
Riku: Kobayashi Yusuke(Kazuki in BBK/BRNK, Arslan in The Heroic Legend of Arslan)
Yukio: Fujiwara Natsumi(young McGillis Fareed in Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Ophans)
Momoka: Hieda Nene(Cardfight Vanguard G)
Sara: Terui Haruka(Yuki Yuna in Yuki Yuna is a Hero)
Kyoya: Kasama Jun(Kuzunoha Amehiko in Idol Master Side M)
Rommel: Hayami Sho(Ginias Sahalin in Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team, Exkaiser in Brave Exkaiser, Da Garn in Brave of Legend Da Garn)
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:58 am, edited 13 times in total.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Kuruni

Re: GUNDAM BUILD DIVERS

The prologue is incredible.

I just wonder though. We have Sadaharu there, would we also see Elizabeth? Or better, Kaien?
My girlfriend was a loli.
YokozunaBulldozer

I really like 00 Diver and AGE-2 Magnum a lot already at first glance. Oh and VOTOMS fans, you will LOVE Rommel and his gunpla Grimore Red Beret. Just watch the prologue and you will know what I mean. Actually you know what, just check this page in MAHQ :http://mahq.net/mecha/gundam/bd/gh-001-redberet.htm

FYI, the reason I wrote Ogre Jin-x as it is is because the GN part is written in the kanji 刃 according to the model kit sample pics that are currently floating around the internet, which is read as 'Jin' and means 'blade'.
AmuroNT1

I dunno, I feel like the show is caught between two contradictory concepts. The whole point of Gunpla is that it's an actual thing you built with your own hands because, as long as you have the skill, you can do basically anything. Combining that with the whole VRMMO concept feels like it defeats the purpose.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Deathzealot

Errr... Actually, it looks like they still build their Gunpla if the last few seconds of the Prologue is correct. Riku is holding the Gundam 00 Diver Gunpla in hand after he logs out of the GBN. Though I don't know how the quality of the build will effect the battles inside GBN since it looks like they don't use Plavsky Particles anymore.

That said. I am actually looking forward to this entry of the Build Fighters universe. That said here is some of my comments on this series so far:
- It is like someone Youtube mentioned: a Crossover of Build Fighters, and Sword Art Online, without the death game, which is very interesting. Especially since I almost thought Build Fighters was actually crossed with SAO thanks to the choice of having your Avatar inside GBN being a non-human. Similar to SAO Movie and its Ordinal Scale Game.
- Also as a fan of the Grimoire, I love the Red Beret.
- Not to mention it looks like we got a Anf, or the Fanton, in a space config. So wonder what other hodge-podge or never before seen configs were are going to see like this in the near future.
- I also like the whole 10 vs. 10 Team Battle thing and I wonder if our heroes are going to join one of these forces.
- Speaking of the Force vs Force Team Battle I wonder if we are going to get larger teams where we can see recreations of different battles in Gundam or something like that.
- Also, did my eyes deceive me or were there an IBO machine somewhere in the first major brawl of the Prologue? If so, I can't wait to see other IBO stuff in Build Fighters.
- Man! This series is going to be great. Can't wait!
YokozunaBulldozer

I don't think they will pull a Matrix where the gunpla gets damaged in the real world if it is busted in VR, but the only possible way I see build quality factors into it all so far is maybe if it is used to determine defensive attributes such as durability and stuff of that nature.

So seeing the Grimore Red Beret I hope to see more past Sunrise titles referenced since that was one of the main reasons I loved the previous two shows. Would love to see an episode where a whole samurai-themed force consists of gunpla painted in the color scheme of all 10 Ronin Warriors/Samurai Troopers armors(6 from the good guys and 4 from the bad guys) or one of the brave robot shows. And from what I saw in the press conference, it seems that they want to further involve SD kits as well as their Gashapon capsule toy brand for mix building this year.
E08

YokozunaBulldozer wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:29 am Seravee Gundam Scheherazade(fighter unknown): ... Whether it has a hidden gimmick like its predecessor suit Virtue is yet unknown.
The answer - Yes. Bandai-hobby.net shows off a little glimpse of the gimmick.
Ryujin

One of the things that bothered me on a certain level regarding Build Fighters were the technical limitations of having an actual, physical arena & combatants. Of course, the show itself showed that the battlefield could be as big & the combatants as widely separated as the plot dictated, but the thought was still there, niggling in the STEM part of my brain.

With a VR environment, though, this concern becomes completely moot. I guess it's also very eSports that people logged in as their avatars just to be spectators in the match.
YokozunaBulldozer

E08 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:50 pm
YokozunaBulldozer wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:29 am Seravee Gundam Scheherazade(fighter unknown): ... Whether it has a hidden gimmick like its predecessor suit Virtue is yet unknown.
The answer - Yes. Bandai-hobby.net shows off a little glimpse of the gimmick.
Yeah, the official Japanese site bio which I translated from has it written under the assumption that people are not aware. :D
I really am curious as to who is gonna use Scheherazade though. Love the design and color scheme.
yazi88

I"m hoping that the setting is further in the future rather than a few years from the previous new shows. It might be best to go with a clean slate rather than have some people complaining about wanting to see previous shows characters coming back... Cause some people watching Try kept insisting on Sei and Reiji to come back even though their story was finished and there were a few cameos from other characters...
SNT1

Besides the 2 previous GBFs, the last anime that I really enjoyed was Gundam 00. This is a welcome series, just because it's fun even though BF is a more blatant gunpla rehash/commercial.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Kuruni

YokozunaBulldozer wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:40 am Oh and VOTOMS fans, you will LOVE Rommel and his gunpla Grimore Red Beret. Just watch the prologue and you will know what I mean. Actually you know what, just check this page in MAHQ :http://mahq.net/mecha/gundam/bd/gh-001-redberet.htm
Believe it or not? There is Red Beret Gundam already, it's variant of Green Beret Gundam
E08

Name of the custom GN-XIV Gunpla confirmed as Ogre GN-X. Also the bazooka used by Seravee Gundam Scheherazade seems to be the Virtue Physical's GN Physical Bazooka held upside down with added forearm bracket.
False Prophet

Already people have been nagging about "another 00 Gunpla". What do you guys think about Riku's 00 Diver?

Personally, while I love 00, it would be nice if we see a Gunpla not based on any MS piloted by Setsuna. It would had been great were Riku used an Arios/Kyrios gunpla based on his admiration of Team Avalon.
Kuruni

False Prophet wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:52 am Already people have been nagging about "another 00 Gunpla". What do you guys think about Riku's 00 Diver?
I readed that it can change parts according to situation. So once again, I wish they would give it several combo, maybe RabbitJoker or CycloneTank.

But since the character is called Riku, there's good chance that it will get Acro Smasher.
False Prophet

Kuruni wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:32 am I readed that it can change parts according to situation. So once again, I wish they would give it several combo, maybe RabbitJoker or CycloneTank.

But since the character is called Riku, there's good chance that it will get Acro Smasher.
Oh yeah, I forgot that you are a Kamen Rider fan too

That said, I do think that the palette which Build Fighter shows have been using now seems limited. I've seen Gunpla which you could literary say that it used a hundred different hues and still turned up right. Wish their design would get more colorful.
YokozunaBulldozer

False Prophet wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:52 am Already people have been nagging about "another 00 Gunpla". What do you guys think about Riku's 00 Diver?

Personally, while I love 00, it would be nice if we see a Gunpla not based on any MS piloted by Setsuna. It would had been great were Riku used an Arios/Kyrios gunpla based on his admiration of Team Avalon.
I love it, plain and simple.
Even in its basic state I think it looks like a nice re-deco of the basic 00 Gundam.
If they were to go with a non-Setsuna suit from 00 as Riku's I would like to have seen him use a customized Gundam Astraea or Rasiel.
Amion

Ah, Build Fighters universe, have you been restored to us? In the same year supposedly as Lelouch's glorious return and Fanfnir The Beyondo!, say it ain't so. There's even that hopelessly perverted and cheep Darling in the Franxx going right now. It feels like the next 2013 of mecha anime.

Great prologue. Here's a toast to it and the hope of the entire series being just as good. The fighting was filled with all the strategy and teamwork and ingenuity (and intensity) that TRY laughably FAILED to produce. If only the character development gets going. Maybe someone from the colonies will pop up or maybe hack the net to get in on the action.

Possibilities. But who's the director? Was that stated somewhere? *Goes to check*
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
YokozunaBulldozer

Amion wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:35 pm Ah, Build Fighters universe, have you been restored to us? In the same year supposedly as Lelouch's glorious return and Fanfnir The Beyondo!, say it ain't so. There's even that hopelessly perverted and cheep Darling in the Franxx going right now. It feels like the next 2013 of mecha anime.

Great prologue. Here's a toast to it and the hope of the entire series being just as good. The fighting was filled with all the strategy and teamwork and ingenuity (and intensity) that TRY laughably FAILED to produce. If only the character development gets going. Maybe someone from the colonies will pop up or maybe hack the net to get in on the action.

Possibilities. But who's the director? Was that stated somewhere? *Goes to check*
It says a director named Watada Shinya will be directing. Some of his notable contributions to Gundam include directing TRY Island Wars, episode 20 of 00, episode 4 of AGE, episode 3 of Thunderbolt, AGE Memory of Eden, episode 4 of the Unicorn OVA and 10-12 of the Unicorn TV edit, and episode 4 of IBO season 2.

Other than that he mostly did storyboarding it seems for Gundam shows according to Anime News Network.
Dark Duel

Re: The Official Gundam Build Divers Anime Thread Mk I

Okay, so I saw the mech and character designs on the site yesterday before I watched the preview/prologue.
So you can imagine my reaction when I saw a catgirl...and then a rodent in uniform.
And then when I realized that Sho Hayami was voicing the aforementioned rodent, that was kind of baffling.
But once you realize that you're not seeing actual people, but digital avatars a la Ready Player One(to use one example), it makes a lot more sense.
As for the character designs other than those two, well two of them(the main character and his sidekick) to me look more like they belong in Digimon than Gundam, personally. But it's kind of interesting that in the prologue, we don't actually "meet" the main character until the very end, with the bulk of the airtime being dedicated instead to Tall, blond and handsome...who I guess will be the experienced rival character similarly to how Tatsuya Yuuki was introduced relative to Sei back in GBF.
Moving on...
I was singularly underwhelmed by the overall performance of pretty much everyone except Rodent Rommel and TB&H. But I suppose the point was that these two were the driving force for their respective teams, but I was a lot more impressed at the level of skill displayed by Team Rodent compared to their opponents.
All the same, this looks a lot more interesting than I expected, and will definitely be checking it out.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."