Official Unicorn Sequel Poll

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Dustman

Official Unicorn Sequel Poll

https://twitter.com/gundam_unicorn/stat ... 8403005441

Your choices are, in the order listed
Unicorn 2
Hathaway's Flash
Crossbone Gundam
An original story in the UC setting

Hathaway's Flash, please! 2019 is the 40th for the franchise and the 30th for HF's serialization. With Unicorn at the end of its cycle, there will never be a better moment to strike. IMO Crossbone would be better off as a web series like Thunderbolt, especially if it's a raw adaptation. Other than the creative end of things, the kits are already so popular and longstanding that there aren't many opportunities for growth. Distributing the shows in different formats lets us have both, anyway.
YokozunaBulldozer

Re: Official Unicorn Sequel Poll

Hip hip hooray for Spongebob Crossbone
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
ShadowCell

what on earth even is there to tell in a Unicorn 2 anyway
AmuroNT1

I guess they haven't given us enough BS Newtype magic and pandering fanservice by reviving ancient MSVs literally nobody cares about.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Dustman

Is it alright if I go on a bitter, self-serving tangent for a moment? Not too long ago, I got into an embarrassing altercation after I suggested that children watching RE:0096 at 7am, who have an innate curiosity to guide them through new experiences, will probably be able to enjoy it far better than adult fans. That's to say nothing of the fact that I more or less said that Unicorn is "actually kind of decent."

Point is, I've become one of Unicorn's biggest fans for some reason and even I think a direct sequel is one of the worst things Sunrise has suggested in recent memory. No matter what your opinion is of the original, Unicorn 2 is a disaster waiting to happen. There's no point to it, none at all. The story's over, there's nothing left to talk about. How many chapters would it be? Would it be just an epilogue? Would the story be anime original or would they give Fukui a couple years to hammer out a novelization of equal length that they could adapt from on the 45th anniversary? Would it feature the same characters? Would it tie into Hathaway's Flash? Etc, etc.

They should have suggested Gaia Gear instead. Maybe even Sentinel, despite chronologically being a prequel. Anything but Unicorn 2. The fact that it got only 19% and came in third is nice and everything but that's still a dishearteningly naive number of voters.
zetatype

Well I'm not too crazy about either Hathaway's Flash or Crossbone Gundam. While I like the look of the Crossbone Gundam I read the first two volumes years ago and it didn't really grab me. Plus I've never been all that interested in the late UC material. I haven't read Hathawy's Flash, but I'm not a big fan of the mobile suits or Hathaway. If I had to choose one I guess it would be Hathaway's Flash, because I would like to see something that takes place in between Unicorn and F91, and it would be a decent way to close the book on Bright Noa.

As a fan of the Unicorn OVAs a Unicorn sequel is the last thing on the list that I would want. Not saying there can't be other stories after Unicorn, but I really don't see the point in a direct sequel to Unicorn. If Sunrise was to do something Unicorn related I'd much rather see an adaptation of the Unicorn manga.
Dark Duel

Of the options on the list, I honestly think Crossbone would be the one I would be most interested in; "an original UC" story I can't judge, but since I'd be willing to bet that this would in all probability be yet another addition to the bloated dead horse that is the One Year War, I'm not too excited about that one either. The only "original" UC story I would be interested in seeing would be something that is set after F91, but before Crossbone - whether with the same cast as a follow-up to the movie, or with new characters dealing with the goings-on at Frontier following the destruction of the Rafflesia and the subsequent Cosmo-Babylonian conflict.
HF I am not interested in in the slightest, mainly because I don't like the mecha designs and I can't stand Hathaway, so more of him is definitely not a good thing in my book.
As for "Unicorn 2", there's literally nothing left to tell story-wise with Unicorn's story/cast given where and how it ended, so that would be the worst possible option IMO.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
ShadowCell

i would not mind seeing a full-series adaptation of F91, like it was supposed to be before it got chopped down into an incomplete movie series. and if a resurrected F91 does well, it would be a good way to set up Crossbone too.
battletech

ShadowCell wrote:i would not mind seeing a full-series adaptation of F91, like it was supposed to be before it got chopped down into an incomplete movie series. and if a resurrected F91 does well, it would be a good way to set up Crossbone too.

I wouldn't mind either. The only thing that keeps F91 from being my favorite UC is it's incompleteness. The movie is like giving a starving man a crumb.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
Dark Duel

I agree SO very much. I actually am in the midst of a nostalgia-fueled Standalone Complex marathon ATM, but I may actually pause that long enough to rewatch F91, because that movie is flippin' awesome. But the fact that its ending is so open and it feels so incomplete, I really, REALLY want to know more and see what happens next.

Like, I would love to see that. Sadly, I doubt this will happen :(

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
YokozunaBulldozer

Regarding Crossbone would you guys like to see the Hasegawa character designs or a totally different person doing it? Cause Hasegawa's style is a tad outdated visually I feel.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Dark Duel

Definitely someone else. Ideally, get Yoshikazu Yasuhiko to do the character designs again.
Personally, I have a big problem with Yuichi Hasegawa's style because I think it's too simplified. You compare the character designs from Crossbone to Yoshikazu's character designs from F91 two years earlier, and the latter look A LOT better.

Amion

Crossbone at last, I say. However, Shadowcell's suggestion would be brilliant. A full-fledge F91 series with Crossbone right after. Problem is, I feel that they'd be hard pressed getting Tomino to do it, and there's no exact telling who they'd get to fill his place, for good or ill. At least with Crossbone the material is already there, and thus judgable material.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
LightningCount

Hmm...I'm still trying to finish Unicorn via the 0096 TV version after a long delay (I took a hiatus from the OVA versions after Episode 5). I'm nearing the end of what's been a mixed bag to say the least, and I'm not seeing how a Unicorn 2 would be interesting. I am surprised to hear there are some F91 fans here, as it's a UC entry that has really grown on me over the years (I think it takes a few viewings for everything to sink it). I figured I was in the minority on that one. As rushed as the movie is, I think it captures the gist of the main conflict, and so I'm not sure whether or not I'd need to see that stretched out into a TV series. I am intrigued by having its sequel, Crossbone; however, my interaction with it has been extremely limited, and as I understand it, Crossbone is a very strange evolution of F91. Still, I think timeline-wise, there's the most to gain from exploring that era, especially if we get to see the F91 cast again.

Don't know much about Hathaway's Flash except that it has to do with Bright's kid pulling a Char, I think. Not sure I really need to see that.

As far as an original UC title...if they're going to do anything like Thunderbolt, then I'd just rather they do Blue Destiny or Rise from the Ashes. The former is the UC project I want most by far. If they're going to something completely original from later UC, then they should do something that better links the timelines of the latter entries.

So, in summary, I guess I'd choose Crossbone if I can't have Blue Destiny. (I am curious why they chose to resurrect Blue Destiny in Gundam Ace, though; perhaps they are planning on it as a follow-up to Thunderbolt?)
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
branman88

I'm happy to see that there are other people that also want a full telling of F-91. I'd love to see the Crossbone civil war and also see some of those msv in action.
I AM THE CHOSEN CHILD OF GETTER!
icewaterveins

ShadowCell wrote:i would not mind seeing a full-series adaptation of F91, like it was supposed to be before it got chopped down into an incomplete movie series. and if a resurrected F91 does well, it would be a good way to set up Crossbone too.
I like the idea of a Gundam 00 route:

1. season 1 = Gundam F91
2. Time-skip
3. season 2 = Crossbone
Dark Duel

Actually, that is a good idea. But the question I have is whether the story could be properly told over two 25-episode seasons, or if it would require two full-length, 50-episode series. All depends, really, on how much there is to tell and how much of Crossbone they want to cover. The original Crossbone on its own probably can be covered in 25 episodes, but if they'd want to cover the Crossbone sequels(Skull Heart, Steel 7, etc...), that might require a full 50 eps.

As for F91/the Cosmo Babylon Civil War, from the little that I know that period covered roughly five years from the initial attack on the Frontier Side in UC 0123 to the collapse of Cosmo Babylon and the Federation recapturing the Frontier Side in UC 0128. So again, that might need a full 50 eps to cover adequately, but it depends on how much they want to do with it.

Could be profitable for them though - between the different variants of EF and CV units, the F91 and existing variants thereof, they could probably also sell more Gunpla by filling in the Formula series lineage - I have always been curious as to what hypothetical F92 - F96 might have looked like. (The Crossbones, of course, are F97)

Amion

I don't think the period between F91 and the beginning of Crossbone would get covered, just mentioned.

As for the sequels, I've never read any of those, and they don't sound anywhere near as good as the original. Better to not give them room to add them into the official timeline, as far as I'm concerned...
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Dark Duel

So I just happened to look this up again out of curiosity...Results as of right now are:

ガンダムUC2/Gundam Unicorn 2: 19%
閃光のハサウェイ/Hathaway’s Flash: 29%
クロスボーン ガンダム/Crossbone Gundam: 39%
それ以外の宇宙世紀の新しい作品/An original story in the UC setting: 13%

I'm fairly satisfied with those results, if only because of the reasons I mentioned previously. UC 2, there's literally nothing left to tell without turning into an at least GSD-level disaster, if not worse. And "original story in UC" is at least 60% likely to be "OYW sidestory # 9001", and the OYW is already a bloated, confusing and self-contradictory mess.
Between the remaining two, I would personally have preferred Crossbone to Hathaway's Flash, mainly because I cannot friggin' stand Hathaway, to start with, and second because I hate the HF mech designs. ALL the HF mech designs.
Whereas in Crossbone, I mainly just dislike the Jovian designs because of how goofy most of them are. Plus, it has characters - like Kincaid, Berah, and Zabine - to say nothing of Tobia "the Walking CMoA" Arronax - that I like and wouldn't mind seeing again. Yes, even as a crazy treacherous scumbag, I still like Zabine. Of course, I liked him better in F91, but even then he had his bastard moments, Magnificent or otherwise. So, with the caveat that I would like to see someone other than Yuichi Hasegawa do the character designs*, I would love to see Crossbone in all its animated glory.

*Ideally, Yoshikazu Yasuhiko. But I'll take anyone competent.
Just please, by all that is holy and good, NOT Hisashi Hirai. ANYONE except him.

Related: I'm actually listening to this song on continuous loop. Where's that song from, anyway? It wasn't in the movie, I just rewatched that (unless I missed it somehow)

Wingnut

Dark Duel wrote:Related: I'm actually listening to this song on continuous loop. Where's that song from, anyway? It wasn't in the movie, I just rewatched that (unless I missed it somehow)
Unknown. It's attributed to F91 by everyone and their dog, but no one seems to know for certain ("citation needed") just why that is. My personal headcannon is that it would have been the OP to the series had there been one with Eternal Wind being the ED song.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.