The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
SNT1

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Kuruni wrote:Well, while Mika doesn't lose yet, the battle against Graze Ein already cost him an arm and eye (outside of battle anyway). In this context, most Gundam protagonist have better record. A few lose mean nothing compare to permanent injury.

If you want to argue about that, ask your friend to lets you punch him ten times then cut your favor hand's thumb off. Then compare how well you two are in long run.
In the Graze Ein's case, wouldn't a more accurate analogy be to kill your friend and then lose a thumb? :mrgreen: :lol: I mean, since Ein hasn't done much since Ep. 25 because he's dead lol, I'd wager Mika's doing much better. #AndStill the undefeated champion of the world, Mikazuki Augus!
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Kuruni

No, I was comparing "multiple loses but without permanent damage" (most Gundam protagonist/you punch your friend ten times) to "single permanent damage" (Mika/losing a thumb).

We were comparing Mika to previous protagonists, and I pointed out that while he's indeed never lose, he does take premanent damage. Shifting context (from protagnost compare to other protagonist > protagonist vs antagonist) just to make it work in your favor is a very obvious cheap trick, mind you.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Dark Duel

I actually consider the fact that Mika, unlike, say, Kira for instance, has suffered some kind of permanent injury due to his combat experience to be a positive, rather than a negative, myself.
War's not pretty, but it's so uncommon to see protagonists suffering any kind of long-term consequences, be they physical or mental, that I regard it as a refreshing change.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
SNT1

No, I was comparing "multiple loses but without permanent damage" (most Gundam protagonist/you punch your friend ten times) to "single permanent damage" (Mika/losing a thumb).
Gotcha, I've got your references mixed up (I thought you meant Mika vs Ein). In that case, I agree that Mika's situation may be worse in the long run. But 31 Episodes in I haven't seen any ill effects that could cost him in actual battle, and that's a negative, to me. He's still a wrecking ball in the battlefield. Plenty of other Gundam shows have had their leads fight while injured and it shows in their battle performance that they are in fact, hindered

But if it does come to a point that Mika is finally slowed by his injuries to he point that he may actually suffer a brutal defeat, I am still rooting for Hush to do something great in his stead.
I actually consider the fact that Mika, unlike, say, Kira for instance, has suffered some kind of permanent injury due to his combat experience to be a positive, rather than a negative, myself.
War's not pretty, but it's so uncommon to see protagonists suffering any kind of long-term consequences, be they physical or mental, that I regard it as a refreshing change.
IBO does battles very gritty and realistic for what it is, which is the main reason it keeps me interested in spite of the mediocre directing.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Kuruni

Interesting, so Galan pull UnPerson on himself to make sure Rustal's plan would work. Consider how much of a bastard Galan was, one has to wonder how Rustal manage to gain this loyalty.

Vidar's words clearly refer to Ein...and I have feeling that being "close to him" isn't mere metaphor.

Hush is back in spirit and put even more effort than before.
Spoiler
Takaki decide that he isn't up to the upcoming lelvel and quit, can't blame him. Mika seem to undertsand it well even if his choice of worlds is pretty bad. From the ending sequence, I guess his story end here.
So LafterXAkihiro is pretty much official now :mrgreen: .

Look like we will see Vidar in action the next episode.
Amion

Kuruni wrote: Look like we will see Vidar in action the next episode.
Yes, yes we will. :twisted: It's about time, too. I was getting worried there.

So, Bael, huh. *Wriggles eyebrows* I'm wondering though, what was that on Chocolate-san's back, I wonder? And if he's no blood relative of Iznario, why was he chosen indeed? The mystery of this Char deepens further, and I'm loving it.

I feel like the entire Takaki/Aston situation ended well, but feel the writers got it all mixed up. It would've impacted me more if Takaki died, and Aston realized there was indeed a place for "Debris" like him to return to, and then have him quit Tekkadan to stay with Fuka. Of course, he'd have more trouble finding a job, assuming Takaki's is academic. Even so, the Human Debris are... well... treated as such by the writers. It's a problem existing outside the frame of the narrative and undermines an already well-trodden path for this series.

Yes, Mika's words at the end were well meaning, but he seriously needs lessons in softer language. His phrasing could easily be taken waaaay out of context. Sad truth is, I think he really did mean them: somehow I feel like he won't worry about Takaki anymore. At all.

This season is developing him in small ways to be a real psychopath. Heero and Setsuna cared too much, and were driven to be the way they were. I'd argue that Mika doesn't care enough, save about his dream. This doesn't necessarily mean he's a bad person yet, but he's made it clear he is more than willing to cross that line, and doesn't care where it's at.

Way to go to Hush, although I think his friend may need to give him some time to bulk up before using him as bench. :lol: Hope they have chiropractic care, ouch. :P

Heheh, hopefully we see some new mecha soon in plenty of action sequences. Seriously, a war to rule Mars? Sure! Sad thing is, it's one of those grand themes that could have gone with a whole 50 episodes by itself. We're already well into Season 2, and Chocolate-san's dastardly plan is nowhere at the stage to palm planets off to Tekkadan. Even so, that scene where he's tempting Orga sent chills up my spine. So much can develop, but will it? The writers are gonna have to pull Tomino-level writing to tie the remainder of this show together, and I doubt they can pull that off without cramming. Oh well, we'll see, won't we?
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
dienrachen

Kuruni wrote:Well, while Mika doesn't lose yet, the battle against Graze Ein already cost him an arm and eye (outside of battle anyway). In this context, most Gundam protagonist have better record. A few lose mean nothing compare to permanent injury.

If you want to argue about that, ask your friend to lets you punch him ten times then cut your favor hand's thumb off. Then compare how well you two are in long run.
Thing is, Mika wasn't simply injured, so his losses are quite ambiguous in terms of results. He almost literally made a pact with the devil - he sacrificed his arm and eye outside the cockpit, but in exchange he became better at wielding Barbatos. To me, that's closer to min-maxing than actually suffering damage (which implies you lose something without gaining anything in return).
X_zoro

This feels more like a death flag for Takaki then anything , I mean once Teiwaz hears about Tekkadan wanting to be the king of Mars their not going to like that and there will be a falling out and when that happens, you can bet your soul Takaki is going to die protecting his sister when Teiwaz is looking for Tekkadan members both current and former.
zetatype

X_zoro wrote:This feels more like a death flag for Takaki then anything , I mean once Teiwaz hears about Tekkadan wanting to be the king of Mars their not going to like that and there will be a falling out and when that happens, you can bet your soul Takaki is going to die protecting his sister when Teiwaz is looking for Tekkadan members both current and former.
Well that scenario is not impossible but I think the ending makes it pretty clear that this is the end of Takaki's story. With the exception of maybe an epilogue I doubt we will be seeing him again. Which is alright because it's a nice way for him to exit the series while freeing up more screen time for the other characters. Be kind of a dick move to kill him off after dodging death twice.

Anyway, good episode, ties up Takaki's arc nicely while providing a good chuck of foreshadowing for the future. Before S2 I had a feeling that Tekkadan's Alliance with Teiwaz would come back to bite them in the ass and after today that may very well be the case. Teiwaz isn't gonna let Tekkadan go so easily especially when the ultimat prize is Mars itself. Can Orga afford to fight both Gjallahorn and Teiwaz?
Kuruni

dienrachen wrote:Thing is, Mika wasn't simply injured, so his losses are quite ambiguous in terms of results. He almost literally made a pact with the devil - he sacrificed his arm and eye outside the cockpit, but in exchange he became better at wielding Barbatos. To me, that's closer to min-maxing than actually suffering damage (which implies you lose something without gaining anything in return).
Fine, replace your thumb with iguanodon-like thumb spike. Is that really an improvement?

But you too miss my point, the discussion at that moment is comparing various Gundam protagonists. Lose or gain is no factor there since some actually gain power without losing anything.
Shinji_Shinigami

I like it, how they are pushing orga more and more to his limits. But is it just me or does our Montag friend seem less villanous then he was in the latter half of season 1? I mean he was getting rid of his best friend with no second thought, yet now he feels....powerless? I don't know if i can point out what i mean ^^

I hope tekkadan is not trying to bite off more then they can chew....and i am pretty sure that the process of real tragedy is only starting to roll......
Dark Duel

Shinji_Shinigami wrote:But is it just me or does our Montag friend seem less villanous then he was in the latter half of season 1?
No, it's not just you. McGillis has always been an ambiguous character, but at the tail end of the last season he definitely did seem to lean more towards the villainous end of the scale given his manipulation and later attempt to kill Gaelio once his usefulness was at an end, with an aplomb that would have made Char Aznable envious.
By contrast, I think his actions thus far lean less towards the villainous, though no less ambiguous. But personally, I think a big part of that is that this season is setting up Rustal Elion as well as Montero-head as much more obvious bad guys.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Shinji_Shinigami

True, he has always been ambiguous, yet he feels less....agressive then he was in season 1. But given that he has the ability to backstab, i wonder when he will leave tekkadan to bleed out.

But then again, he sees something in them, that he mentioned twice already. Wonder if this will make an impact one day. And i wonder who McGillis really is. I mean it is said he is not a true McGillis. So what? maybe some Milliardo peacecraft clone? the heir of an lost Monarchy?

But i agree, that he will have to face of the ghost of the past. Yet his words, of that soldier beeing close seem...strange......donor organs? oO
Amion

If McGillis surprises us and doesn't betray Tekkadan, then it actually would be consistent with out he treated them throughout the series, as opposed to Galileo, who always dogged them and hated them for their AV systems. In a way, it would be fitting for Gali-Gali to be their final big bad to the end, rather than Chocolate-san.

Of course, we alreayd know what McGillis thinks of Gjallarhorn, so just seeing its founder in the Tekkies isn't exactly non-threatening. His origins will hopefully be fully revealed and enlighten us to his motives and ultimate goal with all this.
SNT1

With vacation and other stuff I was only able to watch IBO now. For better or worse, there isn't a whole lot going on in this episode. Basically:

+Takaki quitting, bye Felicia
+Again a crumb of development with Vidar. Thankfully we see that guy in action next ep.
+More Gjallahorn politics!
+Was warming up to McGillis, but then he went full Lucifer in that offer to make Orga king of Mars. Still looking like he'll be the big bad, with Rustal's faction only being the penultimate. It really seems like he's playing Orga and crew like he played Gaelio and Carta, but we don't quite know (like Orga said) why he would offer what he offered.
+Teiwaz head has also had some mustache-twirly moments back in S1. I'd like to see them finally play their hand.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Kuruni

Look like he take a bit of moral degradation? In S1 Gaelio disgusted about how Gjallarhorn deal with Dort protest, now he just doesn't care as long as they disturb order.

So they bring Landman Rodi back, and the former human debris choose them to honor Aston. Good thing, I simply like its design.

Interesting, look like that Jasley guy just Tekkadan's quick growing to indirectly snipe at Naze. This actually make even more sense. Naze also draw a clear line there, although he sympathy with Orga for working toward his family's greatness, Naze would never betray Teiwaz.

Ok, Hush become Genos to Mika Saitama :mrgreen: .

LOLROFL!!! I thought Nadi is struck with some disease and Chad smell some sign, but it turn out to be...nah, I won't spoil it :mrgreen: .

Oh my, Vidar just use rapier like a lance. And it's beautiful dance indeed. Hmm, someone suggest that G-Vidar is likely use some part from Graze Ein (so Vidar said he's really close). Again, that would make sense.

GRRRR!!! Bear roar!!! Pedobear roar!!! GRRRR!!!!!! Ok, aside from that, look like McGillis' motive is really an ideal... GRRRR!!! GRRRR!!!
Amion

Macky you pedophile. I, I don't know what to say. Although I sense the emotions aren't genuine. He gave her the truth, I think, but when she didn't understand it he gave her an example she would comprehend and wanted to hear.

Or at least I hope that's his motive. :? After all, he always was a creepy character, that Chocolate-san.

Vidar's wording sounded very weird. Something like "I was having so much fun fighting with us." Clearly Graze Ein isn't entirely gone, part of him/it resides in the Vidar Gundam. Speaking of... that machine is so sweet it's sickening. I love it. If only it had some more conventional weapons, but who cares?

Flauros and the mobile armors are starting to come into play. Hehehe. :twisted: And it looks like the King has his Throne, so to speak. :P But will he manage to set it over all of Mars? With the way Chocolate-san has confided to his loli, it appears he may actually have a soft spot for Tekkadan and mean what he says about giving them the whole darn planet. Orga's even meeting with the political leaders. That begs the question why Orga isn't working directly with Kudelia, or why she isn't meeting with them. Perhaps she is, but it seems like this is all happening separately. Surely working side by side they could impress the bloc leaders more than by their lonesome?

And with the next episode's title, it appears we are about to get some rather serious war developments. SNT1 will doubtless like that, and won't be the only one.
AmuroNT1

Kuruni wrote:Ok, Hush become Genos to Mika Saitama :mrgreen: .
Glad to know I'm not the only one who had this thought.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Dark Duel

Okay, Vidar's début was fairly impressive, though as I was watching it, a thought occurred to me about its rapier with the reloadable blade: That setup could work extremely well with a shot lancer, I think - allowing the pilot to reload after having fired the "lance".
Overall, a solid episode. Not much on the action side, but what action we did get was pretty great.
As for Montero-head's motivation, I really think he doesn't give a crap at all anymore, he just wants revenge. Hence his more callous attitude towards something that last time around evidently he was rather disgusted by. But oh well.
What I can't wait to see is what happens when Montero-head and McGillis finally meet face-to-mask.

Amion

It might be mask-to-mask, Duel, if Chocky is disguised as Montag.

And I was thinking the exact same thing as you about the Shot Lancer bit. If only, if only. Why can't we see something based of a SL sometime soon? I mean, the concept is perfect. Destroy the magic reactor, destroy the Gundam in most cases. Even the glorious all power Freedom would have never been built if the N-jammer Canceller had not, after all.