G-Reco Movie 1 confirmed for November

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
balofo

G-Reco Movie 1 confirmed for November

-Tomino confirmed yesterday in a lecture, he has worked on it for 6 months.
-Re-edited TV animation+new animation.
-Movies 2 and 3 will only happen if the reception for the 1st one is good.
-There will be drama this time to reach a wider audience.
-Queen Aida will appear only in the last movie if it happens.

Source: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/char_blog/20160417/
Iris Scope

Re: G-Reco Movie 1 confirmed for November

I look at this news as somewhat awesome since I didn't finish G-Reco in it's TV form but I can take a cautious approach to these movies.
Dustman

Do we know what the format will be? Will this cover only the first cour or will it include content from the entire first 26 episodes? In short, do any of these movies have the potential to be a proper sequel?
monster

Dustman wrote:Do we know what the format will be? Will this cover only the first cour or will it include content from the entire first 26 episodes? In short, do any of these movies have the potential to be a proper sequel?
From balofo's post, it seems to be the start of a compilation/remake movie series, not a sequel, but only the first movie is guaranteed, which would be bad if that's all it end up being.
Quiddity

Part of me is excited for it if only because it is a chance to do G-Reco in better fashion and make some improvements upon a show that was beautiful to look at but had major flaws with pacing, characters and exposition.

Yet part of me thinks the compressed nature of it will make it all the more confusing. If the TV show doesn't have enough room to fit the show's over-convoluted plot and absurd amount of characters and factions, how could a movie trilogy hope to do so?
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.
Amion

Quiddity wrote:Part of me is excited for it if only because it is a chance to do G-Reco in better fashion and make some improvements upon a show that was beautiful to look at but had major flaws with pacing, characters and exposition.

Yet part of me thinks the compressed nature of it will make it all the more confusing. If the TV show doesn't have enough room to fit the show's over-convoluted plot and absurd amount of characters and factions, how could a movie trilogy hope to do so?
If it's a remake and not just a compilation then nothing's stopping them from cutting out some of the unwanted characters and unnecessary factions. If they did that it wouldn't be impossible to rule out the first two movies getting Reco wrapped up in time for for a sequel.

Then again, three movies focusing on G-Reco to give it more clarity would be nice as well. At any rate, it did good in gunpla sales, yes?

At any rate, Tomino showed with MSG and Ideon that he can make some, :wink: , killer movies.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
BrentD15

balofo wrote:-There will be drama this time to reach a wider audience.
-Queen Aida will appear only in the last movie if it happens.
So, adding drama where there wasn't any just to appeal to those that want that?
Kinda shallow, if you ask me. :/
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Dustman

Not so much that, but to make the story easier to follow.

Reconguista is extremely unusual in how it was told. It is nothing but linear yet its characters are held at a distance. Each of them are uniquely human and their reactions are often appropriate to their surroundings but the story itself is not driven by an internal struggle and instead by action and adventure.

However, with the themes of the series being as esoteric as they are and with the presentation as being so broad, the fact that there wasn't that much focus on human drama becomes alienating. Case in point, any other series would have been hyper focused on the resulting guilt of Bellri's actions in Episode 6. But though there are subtle developments in his personality which follow, it would appear as though it didn't actually matter because it doesn't overtly relate to any kind of character arc.

I once saw somebody describe Reconguista as "pre-Freudian" and that profound events are portrayed without commentary. There is no emotional guidance to the story, no greater attempt to relate subjective psychology to the diegesis of its teleplay. This is an accurate assessment of the series and I think that while the end result was far from being as out of control as it would appear, it is with an increased focus on continual human relations that the story would become easier to navigate. And for many, even if the structure were to be intellectually confusing, they could at least leave with a sense of emotional accomplishment.
tHeWasTeDYouTh

I love the way this show was animated but the story was a big wtf(rushed, the series should have been 50 episodes)

hope Tomino can fix everything with the movies
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
BrentD15

Dustman wrote:Not so much that, but to make the story easier to follow.

Reconguista is extremely unusual in how it was told. It is nothing but linear yet its characters are held at a distance. Each of them are uniquely human and their reactions are often appropriate to their surroundings but the story itself is not driven by an internal struggle and instead by action and adventure.
There doesn't need to be an internal struggle to drive the story forward. :)
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Dustman

BrentD15 wrote:There doesn't need to be an internal struggle to drive the story forward. :)
Hey man, as far as I'm concerned, G-Reco's a masterpiece.

I love this show so much and it's among my Top 3 Gundams of the 21st century. I've never seen anything like quite it and it's take one hell of a serialization to match the excitement I got out of waiting for each new episode. No joke, the prospect of a sequel film has managed to put a kick in my step~

However, I COMPLETELY understand what people mean when they say that it was too dense. Everything I've identified is, in my opinion, part of what makes it so great. But that is also the root of its undoing and part of why it's so considerably difficult to organize the information that has been presented.

This is why, if we're going to be getting compilation movies where that same plot will be compressed, it makes all the more sense to restructure its narrative around human relationships. Everything else can be a complete mess but if a moviegoing audience can at least identify with the characters as a priority of their experience, that makes a trilogy - and that means a sequel! - so much more likely. And I don't know about you, but for a prize such as that, I'm willing to pay the price.
Deacon Blues

There was no mention in that article about three movies. He just says he can't make a second one if the first one isn't a success. Then the matter becomes a little serious about what one would do because there isn't a continuation. And again, no mention of "Queen Aida" appearing in the last movie. He says that he acknowledges the problems with the TV version. He also says he wanted to show Aida becoming a queen to govern the world after the show was over. He felt that this could be added when he created a movie version.
balofo

Deacon Blues wrote:There was no mention in that article about three movies. He just says he can't make a second one if the first one isn't a success. Then the matter becomes a little serious about what one would do because there isn't a continuation. And again, no mention of "Queen Aida" appearing in the last movie. He says that he acknowledges the problems with the TV version. He also says he wanted to show Aida becoming a queen to govern the world after the show was over. He felt that this could be added when he created a movie version.
富野講演
・半年間Gレコ劇場版1制作
・再編集と新規作画
・2以降は1がヒットしないと作れない
・ラストにアイーダ世界を統治する女王化

sauce: https://twitter.com/Char_Tweet/status/7 ... 3274639361

Go quality check your HF release since it's riddled with mistakes
Deacon Blues

Right, because I'm certain you know all about that and can cherry pick a problem a mile away. :roll: But please, go ahead and point them out to me if you're so masterful and hypercritical of that particular series and feel the need to bring it up in a thread that it has no bearing in :)

But again, what that Twitter posting comes down to is that he can't make a second one unless the first one is a hit. Granted, that Twitter shortening of the article uses 以降 which would mean "from 2 on" in the context, but unless the original posting you first linked to was requoted, Tomino only talked about a second movie. He's putting all his eggs in one basket and hoping he can earn the right to have a continuation. There is nothing in the original talk that hints at more than two. Still, his idea of a Queen Aida won't come to fruition unless the first one merits a continuation of the work (which in all honesty would be rather strange to do)
balofo

The MS pages have glaring typos in some names but the descriptions were alright, I haven't checked the main text.

BTW Nozaku is willing to pick it up if you ever drop it :)
Chris
Administrator

balofo wrote:Go quality check your HF release since it's riddled with mistakes
I swear to god, how many times do I have to talk to you about your trolling? Get your act together and don't do stuff like this.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
balofo

It was just a heads up for him to fix the HF release
Deacon Blues

It's a fan translation. I don't really care. Besides, if it was that relevant or alarming, it could have been remedied via PM. Not that difficult.
balofo

Deacon Blues wrote:It's a fan translation. I don't really care. Besides, if it was that relevant or alarming, it could have been remedied via PM. Not that difficult.
OK, PM next time
Arbiter GUNDAM

balofo wrote: -Movies 2 and 3 will only happen if the reception for the 1st one is good.
*snort* what a vote of confidence. Guess I should go back and pick up where I left off around episode 11.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion