Kuromukuro - New Mecha Series

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
LightningCount

Kuromukuro - New Mecha Series

Has anyone else seen this new mecha series advertised yet? It's called Kuromukuro. Pony Canyon is involved, and it's a 15th anniversary project of the anime studio P.A. Works. It looks like they're trying to make it stand out. They previously said they would think about a localization/overseas strategy, and now that's been officially announced (it's Netflix): http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... de/.100753

NOTE: The DailyMotion trailer works in most regions, whereas the Youtube trailer does not.

It strikes me as attempting to be this decade's Evangelion or Fafner (with maybe just a dash of Gunbuster). It has an interesting premise and good mecha designs, but I'm not sure if the character designs are for me, and I'm not entirely sold on the consistency of the CG yet. I was wondering what others' impressions were. Because it does look like this is a big, splashy TV production. Even though I'm not sold at this point, I have to say that it caught my eye more so than a lot of things lately.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
zetatype

Re: Kuromukuro - New Mecha Series

I really want to check this out, but unfortunately it looks like Netflix got its hands on it.

Granted its only streaming in Japan right now, but if Knights of Sidonia is any indication the earliest it will be available in the US is at the end of the show's broadcast.

Anyway, the trailer defintely caught my attention. Story premise sounds alright, and while the CG is a bit meh it looks like the battles could be very entertaining.
Ryujin

I watched the first episode. It's too early to tell where it'll lead, but one thing that caught my attention was that the UN's experimental giant robot has two operators in a tandem seating arrangement, much like an attack helicopter. It also seems to have some kind of gravity control, among other things.

The pair the UN had, along with the smaller units, were capable of holding their own so far against the invaders at the end of the first episode.
hitokirigarou

The samurai's robot looks like a combination of a knightmare frame and Bushido's Ahead.
PowerdGNFlag

Just watched the first two episodes and I liked what I saw. The ostensible MC plays support to our fish-out-of-the-transforming-cockpit-cube (cool transformation BTW) pilot which is a good start for me. The fact that the human forces can stand on their own against the Giant Mook types was also good, though so far they have to relegate the main enemy to KMK. There are hints of alien heritage in the MC (sorry, can't pluck the name right now) and I hope that however they reveal it they do it justice.

Though the fact that the aliens-at-first-sight has a masked (presumably human) agent as seen in the OP and flashbacks is worrying. Can the aliens just go and invade without needing the help of potentially-backstabbing human allies?
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Destiny_Gundam

I was curious to see how PA Works would handle a mecha anime and so far they're doing a pretty good job. The battle in episode 2 was particularly well done.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Henyo

'm liking this one. the first 2 battles were a nice change of pace for the opening episodes. and as the others have mentioned, the human mechs are actually able to fight back.

i'm placing my bet on reincarnation or direct descendant for Yukina relation to the princess.

and oddly enough, Dearest Mother likes this more than Gundam Unicorn(making her watch the Re:0096 version,) and Macross Delta. :?
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Zeonista

Yes, I have been watching this series too. PA Works is scoring again with interesting and engaging human characters (as opposed to troperiffic cut-outs) and drawing us into their story. The plot moves along well, telling us something new each time but not giving away anything either. The mecha design is very appealing, and shows a great blend of classic mecha appeal mixed with the current top standard in mechanical engineering & robotics. It's even a real dam! All in all, it's one of my fave features for this season.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Henyo

number of episodes have been announced:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-b ... es/.101863

from the looks of things this one is going to be like Rinne no Lagrange. a nice combination of slice of life and mecha.(YMMV for ze others of course.)

anyone else noticed that one of Yukina's classmate has a cellphone that has a Scope Dog Eyes for its camera lens? :D
Compass

Picked this up on a whim while waiting for Macross D. Not bad. Probably won't be one of the hits like Code Geass, but passable enough to enjoy.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
JDogindy

Its a pretty "meh" series. Not Buddy Complex bad, but it doesn't have a lot of character development, especially for the villain grunts.

I actually liked Mirasa or whatever her name was. I doubt she was a monster (unless you go to that Haven of morons called MyAnimeList); she was too focused on glory that she wanted to do whatever it took to get it, even with her stabbing one of the main characters. Personally, I hate that she & the other flunkies were killed off due to how anticlimactic they were. Hope her CV gets more gigs :P .

But... story was weak & I absolutely hate CGI mecha battles.
Henyo

better late than never as they say.

i liked this one just fine. it's quite refreshing to see the Earth Forces not being overwhelmed with technologically superior alien enemies. so is the main characters not getting a new mech.

with the announcement of a season 2 for the Eccentric Family, i'm hoping for at least an OVA to finish off that cliffhanger of an ending. though to be honest, the ending is similar to the original Macross'.