New Shoji Kawamori Interview - Revelations on Gundam, etc

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
LightningCount

New Shoji Kawamori Interview - Revelations on Gundam, etc

I'm still reading this, but this is as comprehensive an interview with Shoji Kawamori as I've ever seen. It goes through his thoughts on everything from Macross to Robotech to Battletech to Gundam to Eureka Seven to Escaflowne, and then some. And through it all, there are what seem to be new revelations. For instance: If I'm reading this right, apparently he and/or Studio Nue were involved in Gundam 0079, coming up with Minovsky particles, the colony laser, and other key elements of the Gundam universe! (Perhaps that's common knowledge, but I've never heard it before.)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder ... r-credits/
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Arbiter GUNDAM

Re: New Shoji Kawamori Interview - Revelations on Gundam, et

Eh what? Kawamori was still in college when Gundam was on TV.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Kuruni

Don't know about Kawamori, but according to the loosely based on true story of Gundam Sousei, Ichirô Itano (of Itano Circus/Macross Missile Massacre) worked on it.
My girlfriend was a loli.
MrMarch

It's a really good interview that covers a lot of history. Most of the stuff has been established before, but there are some new revelations (at least to me) that were really informative. It's also a fine summary of Kawamori's work over the years. Well worth reading!

Maybe I have to re-read the section about Gundam, but I think the article has it largely correct. As I recall, Kawamori, Miyatake and Studio Nue were involved in the writing/creation of the official Gundam fiction that was established AFTER the original Mobile Suit Gundam run, by way of their work in Gundam Century (published in 1981). That book established much of the world building of the Gundam universe.
Zeonista

For the informed mechaheads, there is not much new material, but it is nice to get a lot of Kawamori-sensei's career high points nicely listed, with commentary by the man himself. In that respect it is an excellent source. The biographical part of the interview is a great pleasure, since he lived the dream of doing what he loved, and getting the rest of us to love it too. (It is a bit of a downer too, given the repetitive & play-it-safe anime scene of the current day.) The bit with the sponsor regarding the Valkyrie Fighter sounded like a scene straight out of Gundam Sousei. I imagine every original mecha anime production has a similar story. :D

I have no doubts about his claim that some of the Studio Nue guys (himself included) worked on Mobile Suit Gundam and used it as a springboard for their own efforts. There is something very pleasing in a scene featuring the teenage sparkle-eyed Kawamori coming forward to Great Director Tomino with a cool idea and then having it be accepted and inserted into the story. Gundam Century probably started out as a big pile of production notes, memos, bull session memories, and side artwork that was saved and later was compiled and edited into a cohesive whole for the burgeoning Gundam fan base. Coming up with it would have scored some big points in the industry.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Raikoh

I definitely agree with a lot of the things said in the interview, especially about how good mecha design will spill over onto its setting to create a whole that's unique and consistent. That's something that many creators, not just of sci-fi but of all fiction, should try and account for. More anime-based interviews should be like this. Too often the writers cherry pick only the thing that they're interested in to talk about (example being some of the Tomino interviews) and they don't talk about things that could potentially interest people who aren't into anime like this does.

Of course they didn't ask the question I'd want to ask Kawamori: Why all the green hate?
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Kuruni

Too often the writers cherry pick only the thing that they're interested in to talk about (example being some of the Tomino interviews)
As much as it sound cool, I still try to figure out what can motivate people to ask another person about soemthing they (and their readers) have no interest to talk about.

Take a look at Mechatalk.net for example, I don't see any thread discussing Bollywood movies.
My girlfriend was a loli.