The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk II

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Xenosynth

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Haha. Contrary to that, I think IBO is the first serious Gundam production since War in the Pocket that I have enjoyed this much. I dunno, I keep feeling like I am operating at right angles to people, but whatevs. This week's was pretty good, even if the Gusion battle was a bit fast. I enjoyed the funeral concept, and the Mika kiss caught me by surprise. Okada is the best thing for a serious Gundam series in over a decade.

Also, for someone complaining so much about the plot, all I am remembering is this post by you in The Origin thread:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16027#p358900
balofo

Yeah I'm dropping IBO if the next major battle is bad as this one. It's really bad.
Amion

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Amion wrote:He said he thought she looked pretty. And he looked kinda smug while he was eating his fig. I don't think he was entirely clueless about what he did.
Him finding her cute at that moment was certainly his own thoughts, but the actions he took because of it were just him mimicking Naze (since Naze explained he made out with Amida because he found her cuter than normal). I doubt he understands the idea that you're only supposed to kiss some one you have romantic feelings for.
Ah, I see. Yeah, you're probably right there.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Destiny_Gundam

Regarding the battles, I'll admit I haven't found them particularly exciting either. Heck, even Comet Lucifer and Concrete Revolutio were better in that department. Still, the plot and characterization are more than strong enough to make up for it.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Kuruni

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Amion wrote:He said he thought she looked pretty. And he looked kinda smug while he was eating his fig. I don't think he was entirely clueless about what he did.
Him finding her cute at that moment was certainly his own thoughts, but the actions he took because of it were just him mimicking Naze (since Naze explained he made out with Amida because he found her cuter than normal). I doubt he understands the idea that you're only supposed to kiss some one you have romantic feelings for.
Interesting enough, it's actually match the study about RL child soldier I readed some years ago. They want to prove that they're still humans (not just a killer) and still capable of express affection, but their background make it twisted and they don't really have idea how to do it. What make it different is that in the case of RL child soldiers, their express of affection would be outright sex.

Anyway, look like that kiss will leave Kudelia freak out to the next episode.

Now I hope Atra will get her too :mrgreen: .

On the battle, I think IBO suffer from being on opposite spectrum of GBF-T. While GBF-T use too much dramatic effect that even colony breaking become bland, IBO choose to make the battle (except the first two) normal with too little emphasis for dramatic effect. You would think that in Gusion's debut, the moment Mika hit it with katana and it bounce off, and when he narrowly dodge the hammer that cause big impact, would get some effect to highlight how tough it is. As well as how Mika's methodically stab through Gusion's armor seam in this one. On the light side, it also avoid making the battle cheesy, which surely would harm overall impression.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Ascension

The battle against the Brewers was the first combat in the series that kind of disappointed me, and most of that was just because I completely lost track of the mobile suit battle beyond the actions of Akihiro, Masahiro, Mika, and the Guision. I never had a good feel for how many Man Rodis were out there, and I can't concretely recall ever actually seeing any of the Turbines' fire actually pierce any of the Man Rodis' armor, we just saw that they were fighting and later saw disabled Man Rodis sporting what appeared to be bullet holes, with no clear indication of how the Turbines were able to manage to get the upper hand. Also, the Guision's pilot seemed to only occasionally remember that he had those torso-mounted cannons? It seems like those ought to have seen more use. Meh.

Still, though, the rest of the fight was basically just there to frame Akihiro's storyline, which was much better handled, so I'm not too put off.

McGillis's apparent utter sincerity would be endearing if his fiancee wasn't NINE, as-is it just ups the creep factor.

I really hope Nobliss's plan turns out to be logical in the end. At the moment, I really can't figure just what he's trying to accomplish. Talking about Kudelia dying at "The Colony" has interesting implications, though... is this just the only colony that's on Tekkadan's path to Earth, or does this setting only have one O'Neill cylinder left post-Calamity? The latter seems plausible. We'll be seeing it in the next episode, it seems, so I hope to learn more.

Still enjoying the series quite a bit. (And 0080 is my all-time favorite entry in the entire Gundam franchise [possibly bar G, which of course had radically different aesthetics], Xenosynth, so maybe there's a correlation.)
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
Amion

I really enjoyed all the battles in this series so far up until the Brewers, for reasons outlined above. hopefully we get back on track now that they're gone.

As for the storyline, I just couldn't feel grabbed by it after getting beaten over the head with it so much since the Turbines entered the picture.

I don't know, McGillis doesn't seem like he really enjoys the thought of marrying his fiancee, only that he does care about her feelings, which is actually a nice touch. What surprises me is that it's clear he doesn't want to marry her and yet his dialogue indicates he doesn't see a way out. Surely his dastardly Char side is about to unleash itself. Another BIG question: If everyone in high society finds the engagement in poor tastes, how is his father getting away with it? It sounds like this is bordering on scandal, so why is he resorting to something not considered common practice or even ethical in the social climate? Shouldn't that hurt his family's future position more?
domino

This episode was duller than expected - a lot of build-up was made about Brewers being a military force so them going down so easily eventhough they are in heavily-armoured mobile suits was simply dissatisfying. Another unsettling aspect is that Mika faces no challenges during battle. He simply pokes and stabs at his opponents who are unable to really phase him (despite their words). Considering it was the first Gundam vs Gundam battle we've seen, it was even more of a disappointment that Gusion was defeated the same way as one of the children.

Anyway, the series is only at episode 13 and like G No Reco, I think it's too early to lay judgement on it yet. The storytelling and characterisation is very strong unlike recent Gundam series that at this time, we already know the characters very well. It's been a bit of a dull ride so far but it can easily pick up for the latter half.
Amion

Hoepfully the real Gundam vs. Gundam fight between the Kimaris and Barbatos will be more satisfying. After all, Galileo hates Mika, unlike Mr. Gaterface. Not to mention he's a very competent pilot who managed better than most against him.
balofo

IBO has already tanked, not even a 180 in writing can save it now.
Kuruni

Dude, one-liner is only kick ass when there's something actually cool about it. What you're doing is just an annoying complain.

Look I understand if you don't like it and you have right for that opinion, but keep complaining like this isn't much better than random spam message. It won't convince anyone to agree with you unless they're already share the same opinion.
battletech

Ascension wrote:I really hope Nobliss's plan turns out to be logical in the end. At the moment, I really can't figure just what he's trying to accomplish. Talking about Kudelia dying at "The Colony" has interesting implications, though... is this just the only colony that's on Tekkadan's path to Earth, or does this setting only have one O'Neill cylinder left post-Calamity? The latter seems plausible. We'll be seeing it in the next episode, it seems, so I hope to learn more.

I think his plan is for her to die as a martyr for the cause of freedom. Basically this universe's version of Zeon Zum Diekun or Heero Yuy. Who will the people turn to but her faithful backer Nobliss to help them seek to topple the system that killed her.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
Amion

Uh-oh. One does not like to think of that fat man starting a principality on Mars.
doghunter1

Amion wrote:Uh-oh. One does not like to think of that fat man starting a principality on Mars.
Just relax. It's not like he has other children.
Amion

doghunter1 wrote:
Amion wrote:Uh-oh. One does not like to think of that fat man starting a principality on Mars.
Just relax. It's not like he has other children.
You don't know that. For all we know he's got Sasro and Ghiren attending boarding school at Jupiter and Kycillia at an Earth prep school.
Zeonista

Boy, the series continues to be interesting. When things seem to be slowing down, poke the characters a little...

Salute the Tomino Flag again: With more feeling this time. Poor Akihiro, but that's the way the Gundam cookie crumbles. It was a better scene than I expected.
Wrong question to ask Maki-kun: Note to bad guys, do not ask Maki-kun if he enjoys killing. His likely answer will be, "I don't mind killing you." He's a good boy, Maki is.
The Butcher's Bill: Ouch, that was a costly win.
Join Tekkadan, we have soup!: Orga's job offer does make sense. The Brewer boys know their jobs and can take orders. Now just give them some food and a princess and meido to ogle and they will be good Tekkadan men! :D It won't replace all the lost soldiers from the battle, but it will do.
"Perhaps you think you're being treated unfairly.": Heh, Orga knows how to take advantage of a victory. Bonus points for the dog food line. :twisted:
After death, reaffirm life: Naze is the man. 8) Are the boys taking notes here?
Oppai to cry on: Poor Atra, but, yeah...
"I want this one": What is better than one Gundam? Two Gundams! Also a nice reward to Akihiro after being plot monkey and Maki-kun's understudy so far.
"Because you were cute.": As good a reason as any. Naze's lessons are paying off. :D Poor Kudelia-hime's heart was not prepared for it. More on this next episode. :wink:
More popular than Garma-sama: McGillis is the man of the future, and everyone knows it. WIth that sort of popular appeal it makes one wonder what he is hoping to accomplish.
Loli envy: Are the gossiping nobles upset because of the circumstances of McGillis's betrothal, or because they couldn't get a daughter there first?
Treachery at the Colony: Poor Kudelia-hime, too many people see her as being more valuable dead than alive when it comes to their schemes.Gotta wonder what some people have against peaceful prosperous co-existence...
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
zetatype

Well i gotta admit, I enjoyed this episode a lot more than I thought I would, in fact this is easily one of my favorite episodes of the first half of IBO.

One scene that really helped it was Masahiro and Akihrio's goodbye. I was a bit disappointed with the ending of last week’s episode as I though it didn’t have enough emotional punch. I mean yeah I kinda felt bad for Akihiro, but all I could think of at the end was, “Oh, that’s it”? I feel that their scene at the beginning of this episode gives it the addition emotional weight it needed and that it was important for Akihiro’s development. As painful as it was for Akihiro, being able to have a face to face good bye with Masahiro felt like it gave him some closure. Without that I feel like Akihiro would just be an emotional wreck and that his character arc these past episodes would have very little to show for in the end.

The fight was shorter than I expected, but I still liked it. Depsite snake tongue guy not being much of a challenge the BGM and Mika's response to his "You enjoy all the killing" (insert Metal Gear Solid reference) comment made the killing blow unexpectedly satisfying. Though at this point episode 7 is still the best episode in terms of mecha action.

Akihiro will now be piloting the Gusion, but who will be piloting the Graze now?

The scene with McGillis and Almiria was touching, but at the same time I'm a bit concerned. McGillis is obviously this series Char clone and we all know how charismatic and manipulative the real Char was. I wonder how much of his kindness is genuine.

I find it a bit of a stretch that funerals are now uncommon among humanity. I mean it makes sense for the members of Tekkadan, but all of civilization? Regardless, the funeral scene easily my favorie part of the episode, but I also think the show missed a big opportunity by not using the explosion in the ED, especially since we won't be seeing that ED anymore. Maybe they're saving it for someone else?

And of course there's that scene. It was surprising to say the least and awkward, but I liked it. I found it kinda...cute.. And I agree with that he's just copying Naze and doesn't fully understand the implications of a kiss.

Oh i almost for got about Nobliss in fact I almost forgot he even existed. Once again he shows he can't be trusted, though what did surprise me is the implication that Fumitan is spying for him. The possiblity of her being a spy is nothing new, but it never ocured to me that she could be spying for him.

Looking forward to the next episode and the new OP and ED. Though, I'm gonna miss the ones we currently have.
Midi_Amp

The series intrigued my by a whole lot. The show is so grounded my stomach churn with the child killing, senseless killing, and its political drama.... boy does Sunrise can pull a perfect 180 after a kid friendly show, no wonder parents are complaining.

One thing I have to complaint about the show is, are we getting the second coming of Jes... I mean, Kira? Does Mika is going to be all encompassing all winning pilot? It's going to be boring for sure.
Kuruni

Funny enough, I think that if Kira is in IBO, he's likely face the same thing as Shino's than Mika's in this episode.
Destiny_Gundam

The main problem with Kira isn't that he always won, it's how he always won. He'd just show up, fire off some aim hack beam spam and be done with it. There's no skill involved with that.

Mika always wins, but it's because he's just that good.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."