The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk II

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Deathzealot

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Actually both of the flunkies got it of the cockpit. The other managed to get into his cockpit fast enough, while Mika was busy mauling the other guy.

That said. Anyone else look at Mecha-Ein and think Dreadnaught from Warhammer 40k?
Dark Duel

Yeah, you're right.
Truth is, I hadn't noticed that all three of them - Carta and both her pretty-boy flunkies - had gotten out of the cockpit until I rewatched that scene late last night. I had noticed Carta and the one who got smeared, but not the other one.
Of course, the one who got smeared was dumb enough to actually stay out of the cockpit as Barbatos got right up in his face, whereas Carta and flunky #2 actually returned to their cockpits. But yeah.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Amion

Dark Duel wrote:Y'know, maybe it's just me being weird, but I was more than a little amused by the way the tundra confrontation played out. I mean, you'd think after Akihiro headshotted one of her blue-eyed-blonde pretty boys while they were posing last time around, Carta would've gotten wise to the fact that Tekkadan doesn't play by the rules she and her flunkies seem to.
But nope. She stands there, goes into a long-winded monologue about how she wants to fight them and the stakes, and then decides she's going to wait half and hour for them to get their act together - never even once contemplating the very distinct possibility that they - who have an absolute minimum of five mobile suits and a fair number of mobile workers, would have already been prepared for a possible attack.

And the fact that she and one of her flunkies were dumb enough to actually get out of the cockpit of their machines, thereby rendering themselves incapable of rapidly responding to an incoming enemy attack, is even more baffling. IMO, that strays deep into Too Dumb To Live territory. Predictably, as a result
Spoiler
the one who got out of the cockpit gets turned into a red smear on the snow, while the other one gets literally stomped flat.
And that's before he sets his sights on Carta herself.

Mind you, I'm not saying that Mika wasn't viciously brutal in combat against them, because he was. My thing is that Carta clearly was not expecting it, when any intelligent military commander should have.

Overall, loved the ep.
Intelligent military commander by our modern standards, you mean. Nowadays we don't have chivalrous codes of conduct. Our armies are just there to shoot until the enemy lies annihilated or retreats or surrenders. We got confirmation all the way back with Crank that Gjallarhorn isn't a traditional 21st century military by any standard and has pilots who want honor duels.

Carta and her groupies got out of the cockpits as a clear sign they were there for non-violent reasons. In a way, Mika's responsible for attacking envoys, which is very dirty play.

On the opposite side, Carta should've had a white flag with her. Now that was, in fact, a stupid thing to forget. :D However, if we read into it more, that red flag she had tied to her machine might have been the necessary signal. Maybe on Earth, red flags are a duel or honor sign for messengers delivering challenges. That would make sense then why she and her forces exited the cockpits. If this is so, it explains why the white flag wasn't used. And, like the white, the red might be socially self-explanatory. It's mere presence would have been respected by both parties. That makes her reaction of disbelief more credible.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Deathzealot

Didn't Crank have one as well?
Amion

Deathzealot wrote:Didn't Crank have one as well?
Did he now. :shock:

Er, I mean, of course he did! 8)

*Goes to check*
Kuruni

Interesting, I just noticed a symbolism in the main trio. Mika, Biscuit, and Orga are id, superego, and ego to Tekkadan. And the trio represent less of Hollywood's Freudian Trio (impulsive guy, calm guy, and middle guy) and more of Freud's theory.

Mika represent brutal instinctual drives, seeking to make Tekkadan better even if he has no idea what it's like, and crushing anything that dare to get in their way. Biscuit was the voice of reason and pretty much the only one in the whole group with normal life out of Tekkadan (afterall, superego is what make us "humans"). And finaly, Orga is one who actually driving the group, usually driven by Mika but (until recently) has Biscuit to slow him down (even if he never stop him).

Now that superego is gone, the whole group fully embrace brutal way (and Merribit, who also play the role of superego at times, is at grief of how she unable to stop it), and part of the ego is aware that it might lead them to destruction.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Dark Duel

Amion wrote:Carta should've had a white flag with her. Now that was, in fact, a stupid thing to forget. :D However, if we read into it more, that red flag she had tied to her machine might have been the necessary signal.
Deathzealot wrote:Didn't Crank have one as well?
He did. I just checked. And yes, I was well aware of its significance from the instance of the last fight with Crank. But there's an important difference or two, which I will get to momentarily.
Amion wrote:Intelligent military commander by our modern standards, you mean. Nowadays we don't have chivalrous codes of conduct.
Yes, I realize that Gjallarhorn seems to have rather archaic practices in certain respects, which are particularly evident with Carta and her...what was that absurdly sesquipedalian name they use?...*double-checks*
...her Outer Earth Orbit Regulatory Joint Fleet.

Now, not including the tundra confrontation, Carta and her forces have already faced Tekkadan twice.
Round 1: First encounter in space/orbit.
Round 2: The battle at Makanai's island in the Oceanian Federation.

In both instances, Tekkadan has clearly demonstrated that they don't play by any kind of rulebook that Carta and her blue-eyed blonde boys' band might be familiar with. They use unconventional tactics, and they don't stand around waiting for the other guy to go through their dance routine. Remember during the Oceania battle, while the pretty-boy squad is going through their little slogan Akihiro blows half the head off one of them.

Carta and her forces are 0 for 2 against Tekkadan so far, and they should have realized that to expect an enemy to play by the rules in Round 3 when they won Rounds 1 and 2 by not doing so is downright foolish.

That's number one. Point number two, I don't care how chivalrous you are, when you are in a potential combat zone piloting an armored giant robot, you stay in your giant robot's armored cockpit. Especially when you already know, or should know, that your most dangerous opponent is at least as fast as you and likes to get right up in people's faces and bludgeon them with a ginormous club.

I already thought it was stupid when Crank did it in Ep3, and at least he had the sense to stand faaaar away from the CGS base. By contrast, Carta and her two flunkies were standing close enough that an incoming mobile suit could close the gap and attack before they were ready to counter.

I just timed it. By my reckoning, from the moment Carta noticed Barbatos it closed the gap in six seconds, and I would say that at that point it had already been closing for about eight seconds. So had they been in their cockpits, they would have detected Barbatos and had fourteen seconds to react. Instead, they had less than half that time.

Four seconds later, whatever was left of Dead Pretty Boy #1 left a pretty red stain in the snow, while Carta and Dead Pretty Boy #2 were barely getting their butts back into their cockpits. But at least they had enough brains to get back into her mobile suit cockpit immediately once they saw Barbatos was inbound - not that it did them any good, but I give them props for at least trying.

Dead Pretty Boy #1...did the exact opposite. I kid you not, that idiot actually took an additional step or two forward, away from his cockpit hatch, AFTER they noticed the giant robot hauling ass their way!
Even if I give Carta a pass due to inanely archaic codes of conduct, this guy doesn't deserve any credit whatsoever, and totally deserved what he got. How someone that lethally stupid managed to even pilot a mobile suit at all baffles me.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Amion

They never challenged Tekkadan to a duel, and a white/red flag are supposed to protect soldiers getting close to the enemy.

I agree about the pilot being an idiot. He clearly wasn't bright enough to realize what Carta and Flunky #2 noticed. :lol:
merklich

doghunter1 wrote:Anyone know what the following mean in English, because they're supposed to be for the last two episodes:

24話「タイトル未定」3/20
ついにエドモントンに到着した鉄華団。
しかし鉄華団は、蒔苗東護ノ介が会議場へ到着するのを妨げようとするギャラルホルンの攻撃を受けてしまう。

25話「タイトル未定」3/27
鉄華団とギャラルホルンの激しい攻防戦が続くなか、新たなる脅威が現れた。
三日月は依頼主であるクーデリア・藍那・バーンスタインたちを守るために、単身でその脅威に挑む。
Source: http://gundamlog.com/archives/47057858.html
Spoiler
Episode 24 "Title Pending"
At last, Tekkadan has arrived in Edmonton.
While Tekkadan was in the assembly with Makanai, Gjallarhorn interferes and they battle.

Episode 25
During the fight between Tekkadan and Gjallarhorn, a new threat appears.
As Mikazuki had a request to protect Kudelia Aina Bernstein and the others, he sets to challenge the threat alone.
Calubin_175

Ein better not just start showing up at the end of 24.
Brave Fencer Kirby

Amion wrote:They never challenged Tekkadan to a duel, and a white/red flag are supposed to protect soldiers getting close to the enemy.
In episode 3, when Crank approaches with a red cloth on his shield, it's mentioned that such a red cloth is an old-school (pre-Calamity War) signal for a challenge to a duel. It's not a general sign for "don't kill me, I want to talk" like a white flag is, though I'm sure it's considered impolite to attack someone with a red flag before addressing their challenge one way or the other. Of course, Tekkadan has demonstrated repeatedly that they don't care about such things -- and Gjallarhorn only seems to fall back on it when they've been defeated in a conventional battle.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
Amion

Thanks for calling that out, Kirby.

So, Mika is no gentleman and broke some heavy rules. That explains why everyone's like "Wait! We haven't told them no, yet!"
Kuruni

I just wonder...will we see the Grimgerde again?

Of all non-Graze MS, it's one of two MS that don't have much chance to does much. And unlike Spiner Rodi, it's suppose to be cool. So it make sense if we'll see it again in the finale (likely with land equipments).
My girlfriend was a loli.
YokozunaBulldozer

Kuruni wrote:I just wonder...will we see the Grimgerde again?

Of all non-Graze MS, it's one of two MS that don't have much chance to does much. And unlike Spiner Rodi, it's suppose to be cool. So it make sense if we'll see it again in the finale (likely with land equipments).
Maybe in the last episode?
Other than that a comeback seems highly unlikely as we have two episodes left and they got to pimp out the living sarcophagus known as Graze Ein.
(watches episode 24)
Okay, that was quick. :mrgreen:
Amion wrote: Yes, I realize that Gjallarhorn seems to have rather archaic practices in certain respects, which are particularly evident with Carta and her...what was that absurdly sesquipedalian name they use?...*double-checks*
...her Outer Earth Orbit Regulatory Joint Fleet.
It is written as Outer Earth Orbit Regulatory Joint Fleet but when reading it we call it GLH 48.
You know, her personal boyband.
*GLH = Gjallarhorn.
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
BrentD15

Okay, so hypothetical situation:
If Graze Ein lives to the end, what's he gonna do afterwards? Become a propaganda machine? :lol:
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
radioactive28

Dang, it really looks like the next episode might be the last.

It's getting painful watching Orga push the way he does. The body count keeps stacking, and it was already bad enough when Biscuit went. Really makes me wonder, after all this fighting, if the reward waiting for them (whatever it might be) is worth it.

If next episode turns out to be the last, the worst ending I can think of now, is that the guys suddenly realise at the end that winning and surviving without friends and family to celebrate is pointless. That would be a terrible waste of time.
YokozunaBulldozer

BrentD15 wrote:Okay, so hypothetical situation:
If Graze Ein lives to the end, what's he gonna do afterwards? Become a propaganda machine? :lol:
Captain Graze does have a nice ring to it. :twisted:
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Deathzealot

Oh wow. What an episode! This is by far one of the better episodes of the entire series so far I have to say. I was little worried with the small time skip at the start of the episode but really it didn't really matter the action kept on coming. Also the arrival of Eugene and the former Brewer kids as reinforcements was just plain sweet. Then McGillis arrives to help and removes his mask. Jeez. Gaelio is going to be pissed!! I am really excited about this next episode. I cannot wait!

Also Kudelia in a Tekkadan Uniform looked pretty darn awesome.
Kyuzo Aoi

Spoiler
I pity Ein, because he became the Slaine Troyard of Gundam.

Not when he offs two of the Turbines with a single shot and possibly Shino.

And Gaelio is indeed going to be the Garma of this series unless he defects to Tekkadan.
I do hope that in the next season if that's true, Mika gets another Gundam. Graze Ein and Grimgerde might be too powerful for his Barbatos.
I am a Gundam!
Deathzealot

Spoiler
Did he actually managed to kill the Turbine girls. We do see the heavily damaged cockpits but they could still manage to survive. That one guy early in the series managed to make it when his Mobile Worker cockpit was crushed similar.