The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk II

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Locked
User avatar
mobiusdiablo
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Gryps 2

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by mobiusdiablo » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:14 pm

And someone wins the internet!

Not entirely sure how I feel on that but overall I think even if we only had this one season this was a good way to wrap it up. Room to continue, but all of the immediate pressing arcs are resolved, some awesomely, some hitting harder to the feels.
Damn Ein. Guess you went completely off the deep end. And Gaelio, you poor, poor miserable soul of a Garma Clone. Gali-Gali was a good guy all said and done, he just got used like a fool. And yet, I don't think McGillis was lying when he said he saw him as a friend, unlike Char with Garma.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!

User avatar
Amion
Posts: 2167
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:43 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by Amion » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:47 pm

McGillis wins the Masked Man award for being best Char Clone in ages. He was spectacular in his ruthlessness. I must admit I hate him now, but don't hate him utterly because his past is probably tortured.

Poor, poor Carta and Galieo. I guess McGillis was trying to say that they just came too late for him. Something bad must have happened in his life. Maybe he was a lot like the Tekkadan boys and empathized with them. Though clearly he won't hesitate to exterminate them if he feels the need.

As anticipated, S2 is a go! Now we wait and see what jobs the Tekkies get. I assume they've not seen the last of Kudelia. . . or she them.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.

User avatar
SNT1
Posts: 3843
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:29 am

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by SNT1 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:50 pm

The finale ended up just like I expected to, for the most part. I'm surprised all 3 wrecked by FrankEinStein last week were alive with merely flesh wounds. And I too pretty much expected McGillis to do his big bad "just as planned" speech to Gaelio, though I wished he put up a better fight with his Kimaris. I didn't want Gali Gali to die, but I guess he has the misfortune of his birth to blame.

That Mika reached some sort of clarity and eureka moment with his Barbatos didn't feel forced to me. I'm actually laughing at how bastardized and demented CreepyEin has become when he spouts of repentance and sins and purity like he has become a god or something. Best moment is upon hearing Crank's name at first Mika was like "who's that?"

All in all, good final battles, feel good ending. I like that the most important fight didn't actually happen in space. They need to give Eugene a mecha, ffs.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/

User avatar
Deathzealot
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:08 am
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by Deathzealot » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:42 pm

SNT1 wrote:That Mika reached some sort of clarity and eureka moment with his Barbatos didn't feel forced to me. I'm actually laughing at how bastardized and demented CreepyEin has become when he spouts of repentance and sins and purity like he has become a god or something. Best moment is upon hearing Crank's name at first Mika was like "who's that?"

All in all, good final battles, feel good ending. I like that the most important fight didn't actually happen in space. They need to give Eugene a mecha, ffs.
And Mika quipped back with his 'look who is talking' bit at the end there. Also his mentioning that he now knows how to use the sword like it is supposed to be used was amusing as well. Though, it also has a deeper meaning in the Barbatos itself and AJ System as well.

User avatar
Wellman
Posts: 317
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:24 am

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by Wellman » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:59 pm

Nice ending for Season one, honestly if that had been it, I would have been fine with the series staying put there. But the teasers left to help build season two will hopefully lead to another great season.
Spoiler
Show
I hated Gaelio at the start of the series but grew to like the poor bastard even as I saw how McGillis was using him. I only sort of wish he didn't have that breaking speech by McGillis so like Carta he could have died never knowing his best friend was a frigging Char.

Also was that Mikazuki's gun hand that got crippled? Damn shame no more capping fools with the easy he once was able to.
All that being said, I sort of wish or hope that the next season takes place after a significant time skip or deals with new group with the old ones sprinkled in here and there As much as I loved the series and the cast as a whole, I'd rather like to see another perspective of the upcoming conflicts.

phillosmaster
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:44 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by phillosmaster » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:37 pm

There was a point in this season where I had totally expected the second season to be from a different perspective and the Tekkies would be the villains of the arc. Orga and Mika's dialogues where becoming so cut throat and blood thirsty. If there was actually more fatalities from ep 24 then I could see them walking a darker path, but right now this ep ended so hopefully and on such an upnote that I doubt that's the direction we are going in right now.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.

User avatar
zetatype
Posts: 361
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:24 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by zetatype » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:21 am

Finally got around to watching the episode and overall its a solid episode and ending to the first season. Even if this was the end it would have been ok as far as gundam endings go.

So, my thoughts

- Fights were a little bit on the anti climatic side. As soon as Mika "mastered" the katana the battle just quickly ended and Gaeilo pretty much never stood a chance against McGillis as he prety much just toyed with him the entire fight. Still, the fights were entertaining and it was nice to see the Grimgerde in action again. However, its a real shame we didn't get to see Akihiro single handily thrash the enemy grazes. That would have been quite a sight.

- Lafter, Azee, and Shino are alive and well. While I'm not surprised theat Lafter and Shino made it out I was a bit surprised that Azee made it out as well. The whole thing is a bit of a cop out and takes away the sting of the previous episode, but at the same time I'm glad because I really want to see these characters get more attention. Hopefully, season two will capitalize on this.

- As soon the mission is complete Orga tells his gang to get the hell out of dodge and not throw their lives away. While it probably goes without saying, I enjoyed this speech because its a reminder that despite Orga's reckless actions he doesn't take his comrade's lives for granted. Though, on the flip side one could argue that Orga gets off a little bit too lightly given his actions.

While Naze tells Orga that he made the sacrifices of his comrades mean something, the question is were they really necessary? Orga was still reckless and things only worked out in the end because of timely arrival of Eugene and the others. In other words, Orga got lucky. The show would have been singing a much different tune had Orga failed. In the end, the battle hasn't really tempered Orga. He's still a (somewhat) reckless teenager and his success at the end here will most likely only encourage his current line of thinking. Guess we'll have wait until S2 to see where IBO goes with this.

- McGillis, who was probably my favorite part about the episode, goes full Char and Not Garma fullfills his destiny...by getting stabbed in the back. In the end McGiliis' betrayal of Gaeilo and Carta was to tip the balance of power within the Seven Stars and despite its simplicity it makes sense. And SNT1 certainly called it with regards to Mecha Ein. McGillis used him turn public opinion against Gjallahorn and with McGillis' father at the parliament the Earth Blocs are quick to lay the blame on him, resulting in his exile.

- The mission may be over, but Tekkadan's actions have sent ripples throughout the political playing field. The Earth Blocs have had about enough of Gjallahorn and are looking to create their own armies with Tekkadan as military advisers. However, Tekkadan is still a part of Teiwaz and this could easily lead to conflicts of interests. And while Gjallahorn has (presumably) lost some of it's power, its still around and far from finished. McGillis most likely has big plans for Gjallahorn, and you can bet he won't sit by and let some other power eclipse it. Between the current political situation and McGillis' efforts to revive the AV technology you'd think we were headed towards a "history repeats itself" scenario.

More thoughts to come.
Last edited by zetatype on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Brave Fencer Kirby
Posts: 1309
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:14 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by Brave Fencer Kirby » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:03 am

radioactive28 wrote:Damn, I think McGillis is seriously twisted. His motivations are still not fully revealed, but it seems like Iznario might be aware of what they are. Season 2 is going to be interesting.
He's said straight out more than once (in monologues where there's no one around to hear him except the audience, so he has no reason to lie about it) that his stated motivation of reforming Gjallarhorn and ridding it of corruption is his real motivation -- it's just that either he thinks that Carta, Gaelio, and the like would oppose his reforms so have to be removed preemptively, or else getting rid of them is the only way for him to get the authority he needs to enact his reforms in the first place.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!

User avatar
ZeonsSilverStar
Posts: 471
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:46 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by ZeonsSilverStar » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:53 am

It's funny that with all the talk of monsters and devils the show's real monster got off scot-free. A part of me wants to hate McGillis but what he did isn't too different from what Char did, though it could be argued that unlike the bulk of the Zabi family Gaelio, Carta, and Ein were decent people. Oh well come season two we'll see if the world he crafted is actually any better.

Anyway Mika vs. Ein turned out to be pretty anticlimactic. Once Mika used the AV to its full extent it played out like many of the other battles aside from his injuries which I assume are permanent. A small price to pay for stopping a rampaging machine I guess but I really want Mika to have more challenges in season two.
''Do you always have to stare at me like I just drowned your goldfish?'' Xigbar

radioactive28
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by radioactive28 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:17 am

Brave Fencer Kirby wrote:
radioactive28 wrote:Damn, I think McGillis is seriously twisted. His motivations are still not fully revealed, but it seems like Iznario might be aware of what they are. Season 2 is going to be interesting.
He's said straight out more than once (in monologues where there's no one around to hear him except the audience, so he has no reason to lie about it) that his stated motivation of reforming Gjallarhorn and ridding it of corruption is his real motivation -- it's just that either he thinks that Carta, Gaelio, and the like would oppose his reforms so have to be removed preemptively, or else getting rid of them is the only way for him to get the authority he needs to enact his reforms in the first place.
Huh. I guess I wasn't really paying attention to him then. His conversation with Iznario implied something personal, so I guess something related to Gjallarhorn aggrieved him so much that he made it his life's mission to see the organisation change?

User avatar
Deacon Blues
Posts: 1484
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:39 pm
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by Deacon Blues » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:04 am

I'm willing to bet that the grievances that McGillis has probably stem from his childhood (the organization robbing him of his parents or some crap). But, the nice thing about both of these is that we don't really have a confirmed death of Gaelio or Eins, so there is a possibility they could come roaring back in some regard.

What I don't understand is the politics of this whole thing. Sure Gjallahorn was trying to prevent old what's his face from returning to take power again, but if the other delegates were aware of that, what did they fear from putting someone else in power. I mean the whole build up of getting the wig-wearing woman into power just went out the window when he appeared. No campaigning or what not he just appears and all votes go to him. That just seems odd in itself. I'd love to see if he somehow turns twisted and it was some diabolical plan.

Now that the first season is over with, I'm wondering if they will be rolling out with a novelization anytime soon...

In the MSV category, they've announced it as "Iron-Blooded Orphans: Lunar Steel" (or maybe that's supposed to be Steel Moon, I can never tell when you can invert the word order... kinda how 突撃機動軍 is mobile assault forces). Eh, Steel Moon sounds better.

User avatar
Chris
Administrator
Posts: 4704
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:20 pm
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by Chris » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:50 pm

Deacon Blues wrote:I'm willing to bet that the grievances that McGillis has probably stem from his childhood (the organization robbing him of his parents or some crap). But, the nice thing about both of these is that we don't really have a confirmed death of Gaelio or Eins, so there is a possibility they could come roaring back in some regard.
They both got stabbed right through the cockpit, which in IBO counts as a kill. Also, we see McGillis comforting Almiria later about Gaelio, so I'm pretty sure he's gone.

PrissAsagiri UK
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:13 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by PrissAsagiri UK » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:52 pm

Deacon Blues wrote:What I don't understand is the politics of this whole thing. Sure Gjallahorn was trying to prevent old what's his face from returning to take power again, but if the other delegates were aware of that, what did they fear from putting someone else in power. I mean the whole build up of getting the wig-wearing woman into power just went out the window when he appeared. No campaigning or what not he just appears and all votes go to him. That just seems odd in itself.
It does seem like an odd political system when the expected result can be turned around, by one speech in one room, when we're used to thinking of election campaigns as going on for weeks or months - and that one's candidacy, one's eligibility, seems to depend on being physically present at the parliamentary session where the vote is held. Possibly Arbrau is effectively a one-party state, so what we're seeing here might be more "the Party" picking its leader than what we'd consider an election in a modern Western nation. It feels as though the rigged nature of the game is rather an open secret; Fleurs' Gjallarhorn-backed manipulation of the system to present herself as the only credible candidate seemed to be tacitly acknowledged by at least some of the other members of the assembly, and it may be that the steps she took to put herself in that position won her no favours and made her no friends, hence the surge of support for Makanai once he was actually able to present himself. (Kudelia's youthful idealism and optimism probably didn't hurt Makanai's cause either.)

User avatar
BrentD15
Posts: 900
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:36 am

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by BrentD15 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:30 pm

Chris wrote:
Deacon Blues wrote:I'm willing to bet that the grievances that McGillis has probably stem from his childhood (the organization robbing him of his parents or some crap). But, the nice thing about both of these is that we don't really have a confirmed death of Gaelio or Eins, so there is a possibility they could come roaring back in some regard.
They both got stabbed right through the cockpit, which in IBO counts as a kill. Also, we see McGillis comforting Almiria later about Gaelio, so I'm pretty sure he's gone.
I believe this is called "Schrodinger's Cockpit". :mrgreen:
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25

User avatar
Amion
Posts: 2167
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:43 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by Amion » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:39 pm

PrissAsagiri UK wrote:
Deacon Blues wrote:What I don't understand is the politics of this whole thing. Sure Gjallahorn was trying to prevent old what's his face from returning to take power again, but if the other delegates were aware of that, what did they fear from putting someone else in power. I mean the whole build up of getting the wig-wearing woman into power just went out the window when he appeared. No campaigning or what not he just appears and all votes go to him. That just seems odd in itself.
It does seem like an odd political system when the expected result can be turned around, by one speech in one room, when we're used to thinking of election campaigns as going on for weeks or months - and that one's candidacy, one's eligibility, seems to depend on being physically present at the parliamentary session where the vote is held. Possibly Arbrau is effectively a one-party state, so what we're seeing here might be more "the Party" picking its leader than what we'd consider an election in a modern Western nation. It feels as though the rigged nature of the game is rather an open secret; Fleurs' Gjallarhorn-backed manipulation of the system to present herself as the only credible candidate seemed to be tacitly acknowledged by at least some of the other members of the assembly, and it may be that the steps she took to put herself in that position won her no favours and made her no friends, hence the surge of support for Makanai once he was actually able to present himself. (Kudelia's youthful idealism and optimism probably didn't hurt Makanai's cause either.)
I feel the same way. It seems that she was going to win by virtue of being the only candidate, and that she had clearly rigged it so that Makanai wasn't there and thus wouldn't be able to participate. But he showed, and everyone decided they'd had enough already of Ms. Wig and Iznario. Surely they knew he was in the building.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.

User avatar
Kuruni
Posts: 2976
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:43 am
Location: sitting next to a yandere loli
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by Kuruni » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:38 pm

Deacon Blues wrote:I'm willing to bet that the grievances that McGillis has probably stem from his childhood (the organization robbing him of his parents or some crap). But, the nice thing about both of these is that we don't really have a confirmed death of Gaelio or Eins, so there is a possibility they could come roaring back in some regard.
Agree with Chris that Gaelio's death is pretty much confirmed. For Ein, well, there is very slim chance that Mika simply cut where the intereface system is and thus can be salvage and put into new body :mrgreen: (although this mean he will be comic relief for S2).

Deacon Blues wrote:What I don't understand is the politics of this whole thing. Sure Gjallahorn was trying to prevent old what's his face from returning to take power again, but if the other delegates were aware of that, what did they fear from putting someone else in power. I mean the whole build up of getting the wig-wearing woman into power just went out the window when he appeared. No campaigning or what not he just appears and all votes go to him. That just seems odd in itself. I'd love to see if he somehow turns twisted and it was some diabolical plan.
That's how it happen IRL, Thailand, pre-junta. I'm afraid that I can't say much without violate our no political rule, but lets say that in previous Bangkok mayor election, one side's campaign has nothing more than "Vote for me, or 'that guy' would win". He won. :|
My girlfriend was a loli.

User avatar
Brave Fencer Kirby
Posts: 1309
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:14 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by Brave Fencer Kirby » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:45 pm

Chris wrote:They both got stabbed right through the cockpit, which in IBO counts as a kill. Also, we see McGillis comforting Almiria later about Gaelio, so I'm pretty sure he's gone.
Ein got stabbed straight through the cockpit, but Gaelio actually got hit off to one side of the torso. Here are screenshots. It's a bit difficult to see since the shot of the actual hit is zoomed in so far, but McGillis' sword impacts to the left of the cockpit, in the joint between the cockpit hatch and the torso armor. Presumably he hit something vital that immediately disabled the Kimaris, but he doesn't seem to have hit the cockpit itself.

The fact that Almiria is crying certainly means that she believes Gaelio is dead, but I wouldn't put it past McGillis to have him quietly captured and held somewhere while telling the world that he was killed.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!

User avatar
Amion
Posts: 2167
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:43 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by Amion » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:51 pm

That still looks like the cockpit's general location to me. You are right though, it's not quite dead center. But does it really have to be? It was still at an angle and depending on what got shorn off or moved when the blade pierced the armor, Galileo might be dead in a more gruesome fashion.

I'm going to bet that he's dead, despite my hopes, because McGillis has proven heartless and conniving. If he's still got Galileo alive, it can only mean bad things for him. In fact, I wouldn't put it past Chocolate Man to put poor Galileo in another Alaya suit and make a comment like "just look at you now, Galileo. You have become the paragon of the very thing you despised."

So to avoid some horrible use of his preserved life, let's assume he's been shish-kabobbed and leave him to rest in peace.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.

User avatar
Brave Fencer Kirby
Posts: 1309
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:14 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by Brave Fencer Kirby » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:19 am

I've added more screenshots with better detail to that album since the original post -- the sword actually hits the cockpit dead-center and gets deflected by the armor, so if Gaelio survived, it's by happy accident rather than an intentional move by McGillis. Still, it might be overly meta, but the fact that they specifically animated the cockpit surviving (relatively) intact means I would be surprised if they didn't do anything with Gaelio in season two.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!

User avatar
SNT1
Posts: 3843
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:29 am

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by SNT1 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:30 pm

I've been thinking about this lately in light of McGillis' stab not being in the center; Azee and Lafter survived even though they seemed very dead from ep 24's animation, their cockpit shots looked worse off than Kimaris'. If Gali-Gali can prove to be popular enough he may survive for S2. Hopefully not as an AV-equipped doombot torso.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/

Locked