The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk II

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
PrissAsagiri UK

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Amion wrote:Ok. I'll admit now that McGillis' actions make no sense anymore, for above observations, unless he does indeed have a scapegoat.
Speculation, in response to this and also to zetatype's post above: I think at this point, McGillis' stated desire to "reform Gjallarhorn" is just a line he's been feeding Gaelio in order to tap into his uncorrupted idealism and chivalric streak. I think McGillis believes Gjallarhorn to be beyond reformation or redemption, and at this point he's out to tear down Gjallarhorn and the whole delicately-balanced political system that enables and is enabled by it.

His internal monologue in episode 23 states that Carta and Gaelio "are indeed the ones to change Gjallarhorn." What I think we're seeing now is that, rather than regarding them as examples of what's good in Gjallarhorn and as power players in a reformed organisation, he's been engineering their failures in order to demonstrate how hopelessly and irredeemably corrupt the organisation is. Carta's repeated failures have served to demonstrate how woefully inept Gjallarhorn's combat forces are, as a bunch of low-birth Martian nobodies have rampaged first through the orbitals and now across Earth itself, unchecked by Gjallarhorn's best and brightest whom they've stomped at every turn. Now he's manipulated Gaelio into betraying the principles and taboos that Earth holds dear - Gjallarhorn is very visibly interfering in the internal affairs of one of Earth's power blocks, and has sent a mobile suit into that power block's capital city to do it, and the mobile suit in question is equipped with the reviled Alaya-Vijnana system.

McGillis has clearly spent quite a bit of effort building up "Montag" not just as a name and a costume but also as a pool of resources he can use, unconnected to the name McGillis Fareed or to the Fareed family or to Gjallarhorn. I think he's unafraid to confront Gaelio as "McGillis" because he intends to discard that name and identity entirely in the wake of the turmoil that's about to be unleashed - if Gjallarhorn falls, the Fareed family and the other Seven Stars families will fall with it, and McGillis can live entirely as Montag from that point onward.
Amion

PrissAsagiri UK wrote:
Amion wrote:Ok. I'll admit now that McGillis' actions make no sense anymore, for above observations, unless he does indeed have a scapegoat.
Speculation, in response to this and also to zetatype's post above: I think at this point, McGillis' stated desire to "reform Gjallarhorn" is just a line he's been feeding Gaelio in order to tap into his uncorrupted idealism and chivalric streak. I think McGillis believes Gjallarhorn to be beyond reformation or redemption, and at this point he's out to tear down Gjallarhorn and the whole delicately-balanced political system that enables and is enabled by it.

His internal monologue in episode 23 states that Carta and Gaelio "are indeed the ones to change Gjallarhorn." What I think we're seeing now is that, rather than regarding them as examples of what's good in Gjallarhorn and as power players in a reformed organisation, he's been engineering their failures in order to demonstrate how hopelessly and irredeemably corrupt the organisation is. Carta's repeated failures have served to demonstrate how woefully inept Gjallarhorn's combat forces are, as a bunch of low-birth Martian nobodies have rampaged first through the orbitals and now across Earth itself, unchecked by Gjallarhorn's best and brightest whom they've stomped at every turn. Now he's manipulated Gaelio into betraying the principles and taboos that Earth holds dear - Gjallarhorn is very visibly interfering in the internal affairs of one of Earth's power blocks, and has sent a mobile suit into that power block's capital city to do it, and the mobile suit in question is equipped with the reviled Alaya-Vijnana system.

McGillis has clearly spent quite a bit of effort building up "Montag" not just as a name and a costume but also as a pool of resources he can use, unconnected to the name McGillis Fareed or to the Fareed family or to Gjallarhorn. I think he's unafraid to confront Gaelio as "McGillis" because he intends to discard that name and identity entirely in the wake of the turmoil that's about to be unleashed - if Gjallarhorn falls, the Fareed family and the other Seven Stars families will fall with it, and McGillis can live entirely as Montag from that point onward.
This is very likely at this point, but it was a big gamble to assume Ein wouldn't destroy Tekkadan before even getting into the city. And now that Gali-Gali knows, there's a connection between Montag and McGillis. Next week will probably clear up whether he truly intends to kill Galileo. At this point it looks likely...
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
lingabao

Wow, even having read all these posts before watching Ep. 24, it was still a gut punch to see Ein rip through so many (nameless but still recognizable) characters.

I think McGillis, based on his past experience with Mika, expected Ein and Mika to fight one way or another (in or out of the city) and assumed rightly that the destruction released by them battling would take focus, given how many eyes must have been on the Arbrau election. This really is a no-lose situation for McG - either Ein wins, at the cost of Gjallarhorn's reputation and many civilian lives, or MIka does, exposing the weakness of Gjallarhorn in spite of it's creation of a Frankenstein monster.
hitokirigarou

lingabao wrote:watching Ep. 24, it was still a gut punch to see Ein rip through so many (nameless but still recognizable) characters.
Azee, Lafter, and Shion aren't nameless characters.
Kuruni

The only nameless character killed by Ein is that MW's pilot.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Amion

Regardless, they're not anyone, now...
Wellman

Amion wrote:Regardless, they're not anyone, now...
We will see, technically I can see all of them surviving although now that I think about it the one I want to see survive the most Lafter probably might be the worst off given how they framed that scene. But even Ride who's Mobile worker I think fell off the bridge during the battle with the other actual nameless mobile worker soldiers could potentially be alive at this point so we will find out next week.

Edit: Things aren't looking good for Gal-Gali though, I figure either he survives and is made into a scapegoat to blast the current regime or he gets killed and made into a scapegoat to blast the current regime, either way McGillis plan for him so far doesn't seem to be one I see him going along with and thus he will be made a sacrifice if he wasn't already intended to be one.
Amion

Devious Chocolate Man. Never trust blonde strangers who offer candy to little girls. . .

Anyway, you're right, Wellman, it is likely that several supposedly dead characters will survive. Although Shino is definitely burger by now, thanks to Mr. Blender Foot.
Kuruni

I think you mean Lafter, Shino is actually still alive when they contact him.
Amion

I thought he had a scene where he hears them breaching the city, and then Ein rips out the cockpit and crushes it?

Got to go watch that again...
Kuruni

Yes, Ein crush something, but I'm not sure if it's cockpit.
nacho-wan

The appearance of Gringere at the Earth Battlefield and McGillis discarding his mask make sense only if we are close to the final episode and they need closure for his and Gaelio's arch. Otherwise it's just random Char clone behavior that has plagued so many other Gundam series.

As for Tekkadan actions so far, they are self destructive nonsense. There is no way they could actually survive such a ridiculous operation as the one cooked by Orga. They just don't have the numbers to get head to head with the Ghallarhorn troops nor the necessary equipment for a zerg rush - which suffers by the fact they decided to not being the Gundams into the city proper.

I'm intrigue if the staff can pull this off in one episode, even if they get a second season it would be hard to close this one in 24 minutes.
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
Amion

nacho-wan wrote:The appearance of Gringere at the Earth Battlefield and McGillis discarding his mask make sense only if we are close to the final episode and they need closure for his and Gaelio's arch. Otherwise it's just random Char clone behavior that has plagued so many other Gundam series.

As for Tekkadan actions so far, they are self destructive nonsense. There is no way they could actually survive such a ridiculous operation as the one cooked by Orga. They just don't have the numbers to get head to head with the Ghallarhorn troops nor the necessary equipment for a zerg rush - which suffers by the fact they decided to not being the Gundams into the city proper.

I'm intrigue if the staff can pull this off in one episode, even if they get a second season it would be hard to close this one in 24 minutes.
Maybe if the two MS fights end quick, and the parliament session doesn't have any tricks and Mackanai's presence alone means his victory, we can just see him taking immediate control and telling Gjallarhorn to get the heck out of Dodge while they still have some dignity left. Blenderfoot will be scrap by then, and Gali-Gali either turned to the crazy Masked Side, or pushed into whatever grizzly fate Chocolate Guy composed for him in his devious yellow head. :twisted:
radioactive28

Damn, I think McGillis is seriously twisted. His motivations are still not fully revealed, but it seems like Iznario might be aware of what they are. Season 2 is going to be interesting.

On another note, I was totally off about the fate of the Tekkadan MS pilots, but glad to be wrong.
Last edited by radioactive28 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
zetatype

WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! SEASON 2 CONFIRMED!!!!!!!
balofo

Can't wait for the new characters so they can job to Mika...
lingabao

Hmmm ... somewhat satisfying? Glad to see so many familiar faces, but combined with the ending of Ein/Mika's battle, it makes Ep. 24 seem a lot less dramatic.

Personally looking forward to some new Gundam frames in season 2.
Kuruni

We start right in the battle and thankfully Orga quickly take everyone away so Mika doesn't has to fight with handicap.
Spoiler
Glad that Shino and the girls survive. And it's turn out that we're right how McGillis plan to make Ein a monster in public's eye. Although I were surprised that he plan to kill Gaelio off from start. Hell, this is Char Clone at finest. Cold, heartless, and manage to come off as greater villain despite being on the same said with Tekkadan. I actually hope poor Gaelio can turn the tide at that point... Yet McGillis' words after the battle give some deeper implication to his act at degree...again, Char Clone at its finest.
Graze Ein use tomahawk boomerang! Ok, it doesn't goes back, but I still get that vibe.
Spoiler
I know it can't be good the moment Barbatos enter "super mode", Camille Bidan come to my mind. And the look at Mika a moment later doesn't help. Glad that he made it.
A little too bad that we only get cut to Mika's battle from time to time, the damage they leave suggest something truly astonishing.

Hey, Makanai is cool. He switch between jolly old man and ruthless boss, yet he give Kudelia a chance to give speech despite he doesn't has to. I guess as an old politician, he've seen enough to know when to quit being nice.

Fitting ending for first season. There're some open thread (like McGillis and the upcoming chaotic world post-Gjallarhorn), but pretty much everything started in this season is conclude.
Deathzealot

I am actually glad the Turbine girls survived, I was expecting at least one of them to die. But am glad both are okay. Also Shino is okay as well.

That said. Kudelia is staying on Earth while Tekkadan is heading for home. Very nice. Maybe it is time to dig out a few of IBO Fanfic ideas I had swimming in my head for awhile now. Though, I cannot wait for what Season 2 is going to bring us.