The Official Gundam Thunderbolt Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Deathzealot

Re: The Official Gundam Thunderbolt Anime Thread Mk I

What the heck is the Moore Brotherhood? And is it compared to the Federation.
Deacon Blues

They're refugees from Side 4, which was destroyed in the beginning of the One Year War. They're a unit of volunteer soldiers. In order to see their beloved Moore rebuilt, they're dispatched to the Thunderbolt sector to recapture it.

Hint: Read the manga :P
Deathzealot

So they are under Federation control then? I kind of got the impression that they are an independent command that is only using Federation units.
Ryujin

Well-done animation-wise, lots of technical detail, in keeping with the manga. An upgraded Gattle design! Normal suits with armoured heft to them!

Especially noteworthy was the sequence with the Zaku's POV. It did a great job conveying the pilot's growing panic & helplessness when suddenly faced with the FA-G.

It's an interesting directorial choice, perhaps playing on the assumption that a significant part of the target audience would probably have had similar experiences while playing first-person shooters.

I wish they'd tone down some of the character interactions, though. Bordered on soap-opera caricaturish.

Not to mention the captain's EYES.
zetatype

Deathzealot wrote:So they are under Federation control then? I kind of got the impression that they are an independent command that is only using Federation units.
If I had to make a comparison I would say its similar to how the Sides have (had) their own autonomous defense forces that answered directly to the local government as opposed to the Earth Federation. This gives them some degree of freedom from the Federation's chain of command, but since their leaders ultimately answered to the Federation they were to some extent part of the Federation.

I guess it all depends on what Side 4's relationship with the Federation was before the OYW.
Deacon Blues

Well if you consider the financial backing of Fleming Industries, well then I'm sure money can buy just about anything with the Federation ;) It is how Io ended up being assigned to the Spartan after all.
Zeonista

YokozunaBulldozer wrote:I agree it does feel a bit compressed, yet at the same time I am just glad to see this animated, and the soundtrack is on point.
I may have to get the series soundtrack when it becomes available.

So #2 is out in a couple of months? Good to see Sunrise is not stretching out the waiting times on it.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Deacon Blues

For what it's worth, the manga rolled out with a Dolos-class cruiser on Earth. It's utilized under the ocean as a base capable of launching Jukon-class subs. Rather nifty idea if you ask me.
Zeonista

Absolutely nifty. 8)
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Iris Scope

Just watched the first episode and I find myself sympathizing more with Darryl than Io for the moment. Being an all around cocky guy will give off that impression but also even if you have an enemy, just sneaking up on them and shooting them in the head is a kind of cowardly instead of honorable kill. And also, Io's bloodlust increases when he gets his Gundam. Weirdo!

Some have accused the show of being too written like a soap opera but being that I am from a location which makes it's profit off soap operas, I can't help but feel more at home watching the drama of two people talking about relationships or revenge than the usual Gundam talk of politics and Newtypes.
Deacon Blues

Since when does killing in war have to be honorable? Hate to say it but I think those days are long over...
Iris Scope

What I meant to say was that taking the victim by surprise just before blowing his brains out felt so dirty and underhanded. And considering what we got out of Io personality-wise, if the plot synopsis says that he and Daryl are fated to kill each other, I hope Daryl gets the pleasure of ending jazz fan first before he gets shafted.
Deacon Blues

Iris Scope wrote:What I meant to say was that taking the victim by surprise just before blowing his brains out felt so dirty and underhanded.
And war isn't? I guess I'm not really phased by it since I saw it in the manga first, but even then I was like "wow, that was awesome!".
Turn-A Binker

Anyone know the music and song(s) used in this?
ieh4f

Iris Scope wrote:What I meant to say was that taking the victim by surprise just before blowing his brains out felt so dirty and underhanded. And considering what we got out of Io personality-wise, if the plot synopsis says that he and Daryl are fated to kill each other, I hope Daryl gets the pleasure of ending jazz fan first before he gets shafted.
Really hope Gato do the same to Kou three years later
Imperial

Iris Scope wrote:What I meant to say was that taking the victim by surprise just before blowing his brains out felt so dirty and underhanded. And considering what we got out of Io personality-wise, if the plot synopsis says that he and Daryl are fated to kill each other, I hope Daryl gets the pleasure of ending jazz fan first before he gets shafted.
I'm amazed that as long as the franchise has been going on and hammering us with the idea that war is an ugly, dirty business, there are still fans clinging to this romantic notion of battlefield chivalry.

Anything short of war crimes is fair game. Standing in an open field and taking turns firing at each other went out of style generations ago.
This space for rent
J-Lead

Iris Scope wrote:Just watched the first episode and I find myself sympathizing more with Darryl than Io for the moment. Being an all around cocky guy will give off that impression but also even if you have an enemy, just sneaking up on them and shooting them in the head is a kind of cowardly instead of honorable kill.
Know what else might be considered cowardly by that flavor of logic? Sniping. Y'know, shooting an enemy from an undisclosed location where they can't possibly get to you.

Io was perfectly justified in shooting that (similarly) cocky twit in the face. They thought they were invincible, leisurely racking up kills like a competition, and I felt that watching them panic when Io forced them to realize that they are very much mere mortals was actually kind of satisfying.
Iris Scope wrote:What I meant to say was that taking the victim by surprise just before blowing his brains out felt so dirty and underhanded.
Considering they just killed quite a number of Io's comrades from the safety of their sniping positions, I'd have done exactly what Io did in his shoes (provided I had the balls.)

It's simple opportunistic practicality. They took advantage of their position and equipment to pick off the enemy from afar with little risk of casualty, and Io saw an opportunity to take one out, take their mobile suit, and head home alive.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
YokozunaBulldozer

Turn-A Binker wrote:Anyone know the music and song(s) used in this?
I don't know if they managed to get the rights for it in the anime but in the manga the scene where Io is prepping for sortie as he listens to pirate radio, his line is "Nice. Giant Steps(John Coltrane's album) is a classic.".
Other than that, a jazz musician by the name of Kikuchi Naruyoshi was in charge of the music according to staff credits so it could be his original music for the anime(I tried to see if it is Giant Steps but unfortunately I am not well versed in jazz music so apologies for not being able to give you a direct answer).
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Deacon Blues

Episode 3 is confirmed for March release.
Gelgoog Jager

Previews for Ep 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnDvAGBulSg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdxTLrTsCBw

Things look bad for Zeon, but I hope Darryl will give Io what he deserves for being so cocky.