Recent Mecha Series

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Dark Duel

Re: Recent Mecha Series

Mythgarr wrote:Also that series where skimpy outfit girls riding jetbike turning into robots....
You mean Cross Ange? I just binge-watched that one a month or so ago; Pretty heavy on fan service - as expected of a series with a whopping TWO male characters in its entire cast, but it's still a pretty great one
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
vrj_rrls_2015

The last year specifically?
Fafner Exodus was really good
Vent Noir

vrj_rrls_2015 wrote:The last year specifically?
Fafner Exodus was really good
Of course, it's better if you've seen the original Fafner (and the movie, Heaven and Earth).

Speaking as someone who didn't like Fafner at first, though, I'm amazed at how the series keeps on getting better.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Dark Duel

TBH, the first time I saw the original Fafner, I did so out of order because the very first DVD I bought was one of the later volumes, and it had the single most awesome episode in the entire original series.
(Two words: "Welcome home.")
SO I was instantly hooked. Then I saw it in actual order once I'd bought all the DVDs, and I kinda understood why some people I've talked to are turned off by it, because it starts off kinda slow and a little weird. But I cannot recommend it enough. IT. IS. AWESOME.
Also, it's short enough that the entire thing can be binge-watched without running the risk of burnout.

Right of Left, the prequel OVA, is not actually necessary to really enjoy the series, but it helps to understand a little of the concept. But the original series and especially Heaven and Earth(the sequel movie, which leads into Exodus) are absolute must-see*, and I would recommend watching everything to have come out of that franchise, because it's all awesome.
I can safely say that Fafner as a whole is my all-time favorite mecha anime series ever.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
SonicSP

Dark Duel wrote:
Mythgarr wrote:Also that series where skimpy outfit girls riding jetbike turning into robots....
You mean Cross Ange? I just binge-watched that one a month or so ago; Pretty heavy on fan service - as expected of a series with a whopping TWO male characters in its entire cast, but it's still a pretty great one
Yeah I really enjoyed that show (and no not just because of the fanservice, I really did enjoy the most of the story and writing), probabaly my favorite anime of last year.

Which is strange because the anime I looked forward to was G-Reco which really disappointed me in the end and this other Sunrise mecha anime that I've never even heard off took over my life instead. I didn't expect it enjoy it as much as I did and emotionally invest in the characters but it really touched me (and honestly I even cried once or twice a little bit),

It's definitely not for everyone though because of the heavy fanservice.
Mythgarr

Yeah, Cross Ange's amount fanservice is why I hesitated to watch it. Maybe sometimes later. I have tons of anime backlogs..
Visit The Dreams
Henyo

if you're okay with over the top fanservice, and nonsensical..things, then you might want to check
Kenzen Robo Daimidaler.

it's getting a dub(might watch it in that form. i personally liked this show.)

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ate/.93869
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Zeonista

Buddy Complex, Suisei no Gargantia, Majestic Prince, Argevollen, and Aldnoah Zero are the best stand alone mecha series in the past decade. They harken back to the classic mecha anime series, but have some new ideas that make them interesting.

Buddy Complex: Best use of time travel (science and drama) in an anime series in a long time. Also a wonderful star-crossed love story which made the time travel aspect rather poignant. The mecha suits are good no-frills real robots when the Special Ability is not being used.

Suisei no Gargantia: Best use of "smart mecha" in...quite a long time. The hero's character growth with the help of the heroine is quite engaging, and the "give peace a chance" cliche is more heartfelt this time.

Majestic Prince: Delightful Five Man Team versus Giant Mecha-Monsters fu updated for modern anime produciton. The kicker this time is the team, the so-called "Hopeless Five", is the least likely to succeed. They don't believe they can survive, let alone defeat the alien invaders. They do so of course, but how they get there is a lot of fun. The mecha tech is good, proving that heroic giant robot mecha can still be awesome when done right.

Argevollen: Possibly the best team mecha anime since Patlabor. A certain nation's designated F Troop has the Heroic Prototype fall into its hands after the hotheaded n00b disobeys orders and secures it. Hilarity and mecha battles ensue, imperiling a Sinister Scheme! If you liked playing Front Mission games, the mecha and the tactics will be appealing, and the ensemble cast makes the story very interesting.

Aldnoah Zero: This story takes a whole bunch of mecha anime tropes and gleefully stands them on their heads. The peace-loving princess gets blown up, the hero pilot is an ice-blooded analyst, the invading giant robots really are unstoppable, and the neo-feudalism of the invaders is genuine, not just costuming. And that is just the first episode! As someone who knows the Mecha Anime Tropes front to back, I really had no idea what would happen from episode to episode sometimes, and went along for the ride, and enjoyed it a lot.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde