The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Calubin_175

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

So Graze Kai 1/100 with the mace later?
zetatype

Amion wrote:
Deathzealot wrote:So now they have the hulks of two Grazes... I wonder if we end up with two Graze Kais instead of the one. Granted one would have most likely be torn apart for spare parts but still I really hope Tekkadan ends up having more then just the Workers, a single mobile suit, and a Gundam.
Mayhaps the two Graze become the one Graze Kai?

I didn't dig this episode as much. First off though, I'd argue to Destiny that Mika's ruthlessness IS development so far. Until now we've yet to see clear ruthless, heartless intent on his part. The prologue could've been a serial rapist for all we know, and was too short to make a fair summation of his personality. Now we can at least say for sure that this kid knows where his "empathy" switch is and how to turn it off whenever he wants. In fact, it may just be stuck on "off" on a daily basis.

My two cents, though these are just my first impressions, *Does my best Lightningcount impression*
Spoiler
A slower, weaker episode than the last two, I must admit. But not without its subtle hints and moments.

On the topic of the music, we're intro'd to a new bit of soundtrack, and it was played in a poster-child example of how to shift serious moments into humor with accompanying music. The almost festive, cheery sounds playing when the meal was prepared contained a definite threat in the notes at the appropriate moments the scene switched from the meal to the older boys plotting. Sadly, this is literally the last time anything sounds refreshing to my ears this week. The battle music was the standard so far, though still quite thematically acceptable at this stage. Two episodes from now I expect more of the OST and the director's choice of what plays in these kinds of scenes.

moving into the scenes themselves, we get some more unique and diverse character behavior for a few people. By this point it's clear Kazuki has a snacking habit, as he's been shown eating in several key intervals, specifically the OP itself. Quotes from his as yet unnoticed sweetheart seem to indicate he does this when he's nervous, perhaps. Kudelia certainly needed his positive opinion. I swear I've been in her position many times over the course of my baking exploits throughout the years. I loved her reaction and was embarrassed right along with her. She seems to know how to make quality, but I wouldn't put her in the kitchen on a tight budget, not until she learns to make "cat's" claws, or whatever. Guess the Snack Pack were just enjoying messing with her and her lack of knowledge on proper knife handling.

Orga continues to show he's a badass with a cool head. It's probable he's been plotting the situation that unfolded since he woke up from his Mouse surgery, given how smooth it went. He develops a bit here, showing some clear fairness with actually giving the CGS 1st a clear way out, only to have his mercy spat at in the face, literally. After what they did, the 1st would have probably been shot in the Napoleonic-styled Gjallerhorn military, so seeing them sneer at the man who's cornered them showed they really did ask for it.

Another interesting hint from Orga this episode is that he may have had issues with his father in the past. His conversation with Kudelia gave a very pensive look on his face when she mentioned "I can't go back to my Father." He also has yet to shoot a gun of his own, and I'm starting to wander if he can't. If Mikazuki is the one who shot his father after the man wounded him in the story's prologue, it stands to reason that Orga would have troubles with killing people at gunpoint. Regardless, it showed some authoritative power when he had a subordinate perform the execution of of the CGS instead of himself.

A couple minor characters are introduced or developed here. The guy who looks like a skinny Ramba Ral with a Hitler styled mustache proves he's an apple who didn't fall far from the rest of the CGS tree. He will probably jump ship the moment opportunity knocks with the promise of cash. What exactly is he good for, anyway? So far, he's only been seen wielding the ever awesome utilities of a nail filer.:D At least Dexter, who's bio's probably been up on the site for a while, has made his entrance to the series, and mostly as a human plot device. Maybe this cowardly rodent will grow into a human in time, but I wouldn't count on it.

The real focus of this episode was on our main hero and heroine, and as predicted the two have made their first big leap in development, and they do it together and by supporting each other's growth. This is how it should be done; if only there had been more. Mikazuki proves he's indeed bullish, and also a trifle ruthless. Once again, the voice actor manages to betray more than a robot in this episode, but a boy who can turn off his sympathy like a switch. It seems he could always do this, and unlike characters of the past, such as Setsuna or Heero, his reasoning is that he has his own noble code he's following. That, and a childish devotion to Orga. Never in Gundam have we had a protagonist on the opposite side of the moral argument: he actually told the sympathetic Crank not to regret killing as a soldier, and even said he wanted to kill him. He does something that reminds me of Girge from the Break Blade Manga, exiting his cockpit to shoot his exposed foe right in the face without so much as a flinch. I actually approve of this move:

The world gets some solid building this episode. We learn that even before the Calamity War there was a Victorian flare to how things were done. Duels of honor were commonplace in that time. From this episode onward the presence of ostentatious outfits and names like Gjallarhorn no longer seem out of place or strange. Obviously, as it is proven to do, Human History, or at least styles, have gone full circle until the pomp and ceremony we see here is the standard part of culture, and has been for 300 hundred years of tradition. Coupled with the knife scene in the OP scenes, this could bear some bloody consequences in future episodes. Crank is the first victim of this culture, though his fate was arguably more satisfying and bearable than what might have been otherwise. At least his being allowed to perform the mission solo ensured the Orphans didn't get slaughtered. It's a shame the man died, but he did so with purpose. At this point his development remained consistent with the last episode in how he had planned not to murder the orphans after all, but instead fulfill the primary objective.

Despite some good elements the episode's plot pacing and story killed the momentum. Kudelia's character growth this episode should be a profound moment for her, but it comes too quickly. The episode last week built up to this, and that saved her resolutions to have the surgery from coming out of the blue, err red. (because it's Mars.;P) Crank gets it far worse. The episode has only three primary acts: the meal, the coup, and the token honor battle with the sympathetic old soldier. The episode was focused in its plot, but still took too long with scenes that weren't necessary or might have gone faster. Until now G-Tekketsu has been flying forward in its plot, to the detriment that some viewers have missed foreshadows and development. The plot slows this time, and while character development speeds up to compensate, the episode's meager 24 minutes have to do part of the work of the last 48 to make up for some lost ground, and mostly fails. This episode should have focused on a single event it portrays. As things stand, Mika's slow development doesn't take us far enough to merit the attention. Kudelia's growth isn't shown in the detail it deserves and suffers some rough patches in the road to presenting her resolutions. Crank doesn't even do more than show up and die, all told, wasting a central part of the last episode as meaningless sympathy building for someone we all knew was doomed from the first panel.

What I believe should have happened was split the events of episode 3 into two episodes, one to focus on the big moment of Orga's company takeover, long overdue and anticipated since the one-shot orphan got struck in the minefield. That scene, while provocative, got very little emotional build-up beside a convenient piece of soundtrack. It did its job, but not enough to satisfy me after all we've seen the 3rd endure. It feels almost as if the story attempted to rush over the Orphans and the grim details of their revolt, even softening it with humorous dinner scenes that should have come at the start of next episode to lighten the mood and reset the audience for an emotional showdown with Crank.

Alas, the CGS is no more. The Tekkadan, the Iron Flowers, have bloomed, ready to guard their princess of peace on her way to Earth and plot progression. But first, it looks like we'll be visiting the corn fields of Mars soon, and a scene between Atra and Mika that promises to be romantic for once. Hopefully this time the conversation involves more effort on Mika's part.

(Personally, I don't like the name Iron flower. It sounds like a Guild name from Fairytail, and conjures the indelibly scandalous image of a bunch of female mages in skimpy leather attire while riding motor cycles or some other heavy metal. Hiro Mashima, what have you done to me?) At least Tekkadan sounds more appropriate in Japanese, and has the added meaning of Iron Fire. Kudos to whoever thought to name the Gundam series after its characters rather than its titular Gundam. As yet...

rating: 6/10

P.S: I'm loving the ending theme more and more. "Space blues" is just a phrase that keeps getting more awesome as time goes on. And its Zeta-style 80's imagery cannot be in better tastes. It makes me worry, though. We already see what happens to Mika's brain when he fights. If the parallels to Kamille's developed character in the 40's of Zeta continue we may just see him in an induced vegetative state by the end of IBO.
I don't know I thought Aina was handled pretty well. The first two episodes and parts of episode 3 did a nice job of slowly developing her, but I feel like one more episode of her feeling useless would have felt like dragging it out longer than it needed to be. Sure her development at the end doesn't really come of as profound, but I don't think it needed to be especially at this point in the story. They should save the profound moment for somewhere further down the line when she gets involved in the political side of things or who knows maybe asking to be implanted with the "Whiskers" is a bit of foreshadowing.

I do however agree about the revolt and Crank, no that they were bad, but clearly an opportunity was missed. The revolt comes off as too easy and clean (despite Mika killing the commander and his lacky) and is most likely the result of trying to quickly get it over with. It would have been better if things didn't go according to plan and the orphans ended up in a shootout with the first corp. Definitely would have added to the grimy feel of the first episode.

As for Crank, not much to say. It was pretty obvious he was gonna die for the purpose of giving his subordinate motivation (at least it seems that way) but it would have been nice to get to know the character more and maybe more insight as to why he is so against fighting child soldiers. Instead he comes off as a box to check off the old gundam checklist of tropes.
Not Heero Yuy

Episode 3 also has a bit of foreshadowing that the 1st corp. might exact a revenge on "Tekkadan" by joining forces with Gjallahorn.

I agree that the revolt was a bit "rushed" and easy. There should have been at least some tension between the 3rd group and the 1st corp., leading to some brutal battles within CGS.
domino

Only thing about the revolt that was "easy" was that the 1st Corps made it so easy for the 3rd group since they never suspected they'd do anything in retaliation.

In its simplicity of execution, it was quite realistic
Amion

domino wrote:Only thing about the revolt that was "easy" was that the 1st Corps made it so easy for the 3rd group since they never suspected they'd do anything in retaliation.

I fully agree with this. It was the best choice for them to use the tactic they did. A shootout would have felt cliche since it was so expected. What I meant by focus an episode on it was spend time building up the exact plan. It wouldn't have taken more than about three or four more minutes. But those minutes are precious in an episode and they got used, in my estimation, on the fight scene.

I change my mind on Obari being the chief fight director if this was the episode he directed. It felt way to DBZ standoff for me. I want whoever did the last episode to STAY directing the action for as long as possible. So long as their choreographing remains consistently that great, we'd be in for some glorious action.

Speaking of Fellini, looks like he's actually a character on the franchise now, just like Ral. It would be hilarious how we would eventually get all the Build Fighter's cast in actual series roles here and there. :D
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Ryujin

Amion wrote:
domino wrote:Only thing about the revolt that was "easy" was that the 1st Corps made it so easy for the 3rd group since they never suspected they'd do anything in retaliation.

I fully agree with this. It was the best choice for them to use the tactic they did. A shootout would have felt cliche since it was so expected. What I meant by focus an episode on it was spend time building up the exact plan. It wouldn't have taken more than about three or four more minutes. But those minutes are precious in an episode and they got used, in my estimation, on the fight scene.
Indeed. Given that certain essential personnel were with the 1st (like the ACCOUNTANT), a face-to-face confrontation with the potential for a shootout would've been a risky, wasteful move on Orga's part. What he did was a practical, realistic choice.
Deacon Blues

It's interesting to note that while the scenario, the storyboard, direction, character and mechanic animation director have all been different for these three episodes. I wonder if that will allow them to retain better animation for this season.
zetatype

Ryujin wrote:
Amion wrote:

Indeed. Given that certain essential personnel were with the 1st (like the ACCOUNTANT), a face-to-face confrontation with the potential for a shootout would've been a risky, wasteful move on Orga's part. What he did was a practical, realistic choice.
Well I wasn't saying Orga should have gone with the guns blazing option right of the bat. I was just saying the episode would have been more interesting if everything didn't go according to plan.
Zeonista

Episode 3 got the plot ball rolling in earnest. We got a mutiny, a unit's rebirth, a duel, and a statement of purpose. Whew, what a lot of story in in a single episode! With this much action per episode, I would not be surprised if there were only 25 episodes.

Snack Pack and Clumsy Princess: Thus has Amion named them, thus they shall be known! :D Kudelia's ham-handed willingness to help out was endearing. Mika scored human points for being nice about eating it anyway, even if he is a metabolic furnace. :) I don't think Kudelia's embarrassment was ship-worthy here, just an attack of modesty over being praised for doing so little.

She Knows Him Well: Arta came across much better as a true childhood friend this episode. She does not understand his soldier side, but she understands the boy who talks to her and likes seeing her around.

How'd you like the sedative in your stew?: The mutiny happened swiftly, to my mild surprise. Actually I was surprised I was surprised, since the Orga-Mika duo plan and act swiftly. It was swift enough for me to wonder if Orga hadn't been considering it for a while. Or maybe it is a final judgement on the leadership of the CGS that they cold be taken in so swiftly and completely? OTOH Orga showed wisdom in not indulging in a bloodbath but paying off anyone who didn't want to stay. It makes me confident we are cheering on the right people here.

Tekkadan: Yes, we have the Japanese association with natural imagery in full swing! :lol: It's a nice image though, and it hints at some depth in Orga. Maybe the thing that makes him willing to indulge Kudelia and agree to accept her as the first client?

the death of honor: Farewell Krank, we hardly knew you. Krank's death was standard Gundam samurai theater, but having it happen so soon was a foreshadowing. Idealism (barring Kudelia) is bled out in the dust, what is next is a ruthlessly practical struggle for success and victory. Let the bodies hit the floor!

Kudelia's resolve: Kudelia-hime gained much cred with me this episode. Apparently she gained much cred with Orga too. Her willingness to stand as prize for the duel was a vote of confidence in the boys and herself. No more indecisive princess here, the leader is beginning to emerge. Her decision to use her connections and get funding for Tekkadan was good leadership as well, and an omen that Kudelia intends to go the distance. (The Toradora background shines through here, no indecisive wallflowers in that show.) She is the best political princess in terms of using her actual resources and abilities since Lacus-hime, believe it!
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Kuruni

zetatype wrote:Well I wasn't saying Orga should have gone with the guns blazing option right of the bat. I was just saying the episode would have been more interesting if everything didn't go according to plan.
Intersting? Maybe, but I think it would cause more harm than good. As it would mean the focus of this episode (Kudelia's developement and Crank's duel) will likely have to pushed to another episode, leaving this one much weaker in term of conetent and likely come of more as filler.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Zeonista

Kuruni wrote:
zetatype wrote:Well I wasn't saying Orga should have gone with the guns blazing option right of the bat. I was just saying the episode would have been more interesting if everything didn't go according to plan.
Intersting? Maybe, but I think it would cause more harm than good. As it would mean the focus of this episode (Kudelia's developement and Crank's duel) will likely have to pushed to another episode, leaving this one much weaker in term of conetent and likely come of more as filler.
You have a point in story pacing and development, at least in the sense that the mutiny was less important than Kudelia's decision and the duel. The mutiny makes the two important story points important and possible though. In order for Orga & Kudelia to be able to make the decisions and Mika to sustain them in the duel, the weak adult leaders and the treacherous Group 1 have to go. Orga's ability to make quick decisions and have the other boys carry them out says a lot for him. Of course with a gunslinger like Mika at his side he can afford to plan in confidence! And I like Orga's ruthless planning, which makes him willing to take advantage of Group 1's self-pitying truculence and the adult leaders' blinkered vision. The mutiny therefore is a flawless victory because it is so optimal.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
zetatype

Kuruni wrote:
I don't see that as a bad thing. Personally i think that would be better for the pacing and resolution of these plot threads. Though since we most likely don't have the usual 50 episode count I guess that kind of pacing isn't the most ideal.
Last edited by zetatype on Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amion

If what I heard is true, then IBO is scoring big in Japan already. If it keeps up we might in fact see a season 2. Of course, the quality might not be good if the writer's aren't prepared for it.

Glad you agree, Zeonista. The Snack Pack they shall be. Speaking of, if that old lady in the cornfield is their grandmother, she shall undoubtedly be named Granny Smith.
balofo

1st ep ratings:

世帯 個人 KID TEN   M1  M2  M3   F1  F2  F3
*2.7 *1.3 *0.1 *1.9  *2.7 *2.4 *0.4  *2.0 *0.7 *1.5   01話

sauce: http://peace.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/shar/1424827760/

Better than G-Reco and BF/Try. Kids didn't seem to watch it :)
Amion

What's the average rating for a show like IBO? And I assume the next two episode ratings tell more than first episode.

Awaiting Chris' review... the last tow came out pretty fast.:D
balofo

Looks like someone dropped a colony on Australia again!
Kuruni

For real? I wonder if they decide to add a twist by make it AC colony instead of UC one...
My girlfriend was a loli.
Laevatein

One of the things that makes Iron-Blooded Orphans different from the rest up to this point is that the usual Princess - Pilot dynamic is reversed: in traditional Gundam shows with said dynamic, the pilot is ignorant of the world's affairs or has a distorted subjective view of it, and the princess is the one who slowly shapes him through their interactions, whether it be Heero Yuy - Relena, Kira - Lacus, Setsuna - Marina, Banagher - Audrey etc.

In Mika and Kudelia's case though, it's Kudelia who's slowly learning more about the world as it's explained via Mika, and the best thing is that Mika does it without being condescending or being arrogant on his part: he has none of the self-righteousness that the other "princess" characters may have had the situation been reversed, he just lays it out cleanly and plainly. And here, where he shows her exactly why her worries aren't quite as grand as it seems, it's nice to see that beneath that killer veneer, Mika actually is quite thoughtful.

It's also nice to confirm that Mika did know that Atra made him that bracelet, and that he's thankful for it. Out of all the "stoic" Gundam leads we've had so far, Mika so far is hands down the best of them in terms of characterization: he doesn't angst needlessly, has a good head on his shoulders, and isn't afraid to show kindness when necessary, but at the same time he's also the most pragmatically brutal of the stoic leads. Sorry Setsuna, but there are people more Gundam than you now :p
Destiny_Gundam

Interesting to see that Canada has merged with Russia, rather than with the US like it usually does. No one cares about Greenland, I guess.

A 9 year old fiancee? Some one's sure living the dream... :lol:

Poor Atra. Mika's gonna get taken away by the princess and I'm afraid nothing you can do will stop that.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Ryujin

There's no way that whole bit with Fareed, his fiancee & that bag of sweets wasn't intentional on the studio's part.

Once again, Biscuit's the one who first notices the details--he immediately recognized the Gjallarhorn emblem on the car.

I actually found this episode interesting for the setting info & all the routine logistics work that was shown, such as handling paperwork for the change in ownership, making travel arrangements, keeping the company running, not!Guts' employment terms, the price of corn, etc.