The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Amion

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Deathzealot wrote:Don't Jinx it Amion!?!
You mean like how Arbiter said "I am confident in AGE's future."? :P
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Kuruni

Finally watch Episode 2...and it still keep up the strong impression.

Once again, they use kids to announce the next episode in manner that totally contrast with everything else.
Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Kuruni wrote:BTW, although her role is only minor in the first episode, the way she announce next episode (with cheerful voice that totally contrast the tone of this episode) make me wonder if Atra's role would be to "soften" thing? Hopefully she won't just get killed off in few episodes.
Nah, she won't die. Well, at least she won't die until after she gets utterly heartbroken by Mika getting taken away by the princess.
Well, the trend in anime/manga is that...While it's true that usually the hero will pick the princess and leave his mundane love interest, when said mundane love interest is very young then it's equally often that the hero will leave the princess heartbroken (but strong enough to move on with her life, their journey teach her that much) and go back to his mundane girl.

BTW, I just notice that Atra's hairdo give illusion of inumimi.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Destiny_Gundam

Aina is definitely being set up as the main heroine, and in anime 99% of the time the main heroine has to get involved with the main hero romantically no matter how much sense it makes. Watch it end up like Turn A did. That kind of drama is right up Okada's alley.

And Atra ain't no dog girl, she's squid girl ~de geso!
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Zeonista

This episode really sealed the deal in terms of story and characters.

Barbatos launch: A brief discourse on piloting mobile weapons in this AU, with the difficulties highlighted for our enlightenment. True thought-controlled MS without Newtypes involved is a rare one for Gundam. Nicely done! Subsequent "Yabe!" moment was great even if it did undercut the Big Damn Hero entry.
Ethics of Oppression: Having a Gjallarhorn pilot feel disgust and dishonor about fighting child soldiers instead of being all "just doing my job" was an interesting wrinkle.
Eulogy for a red shirt: It's a nice passing moment that shows the Third Group loves each other even if no one else does.
Cookie and Cracker: Dawwww, kawaii!! Check off that Gundam archetype box, and sic 'em on Kudelia-hime! :D
Atra: I don't care if she is the Childhood Friend or not, Kudelia-hime is already up one.
Loyalty: Heh, I stand by my previous claim that Kudelia can walk away with CGS #3 as her personal army if she is smart about it. The truthfully named "iron blooded" orphans aren't going to be thrown away.
Not a Victim: I was not expecting Taka-kun to come out with that line about rejecting victim status, much less smash Kudelia-hime with it. 0% angst and woe from the Third Group. (I am watching a Gundam anime, right?)
Legend of the Galactic Inspectors: The smugly elite and pretty Earthnoids who don't have to get their hands dirty keeping the Red Planet from getting dyed red with blood are here to pass judgement on you. What is worse, they may be right. :D
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Dendrobium Stamen

Okay, finally got chance to watch episode 2, and... this is different. In a very good way, too; familiar but not comfortably so.

In some ways, almost every element of the series can trace is lineage back to a previous entry in the Gundam franchise, but the differences are substantial enough, and the writing good enough, that it doesn't feel repetitive or like it's retreading old ground.

The trailers and pre-release information left me very cool on this series, but now I've seen the show properly, I'm seeing the light; if Iron-Blooded Orphans continues on these lines, I'll be very happy indeed.

Oh, and I utterly love the opening theme - fantastic!
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
Deathzealot

Yup. Therefore please don't Jinx it.
Amion

At this point I think we should all take a step back and look at the franchise through the lens of logic and good sense. Exactly how "different" are we going to want in a Gundam story? It's 30+ years old. There's been so many entries to the franchise that we can't really say "Oh wow, that's never been done!"

I know, I know, we haven't have bio Gundams that sprout tentacles and can warp reality with special fields and be used to Instrument Humanity's Hive Mind, or had Gundams that become sentient and transform into animal forms. Or Gundams that can be easily stored inside forcefield balls that we can wear on our soldier's belts, or had a star explode and burn the Solar System off the galaxy, or alien overlords with death-ray shooting saucers.

And I think I'd be making a very fair assumption to say that most of us are kinda glad those things haven't happened. Sure, there's different stuff that could be done. But going in and sifting through the tropes commonly used is a bit unfair. I've been seeing a lot of "Been there, seen this before." reactions. Fair, especially with Kudelia. I just wish we'd not have it so early on.
monster

Amion wrote:I've been seeing a lot of "Been there, seen this before." reactions. Fair, especially with Kudelia. I just wish we'd not have it so early on.
I actually would expect such reactions this early. Those are typical first impression reactions. Ideally, as the series develops and grows into its own identity, such reactions would decrease if not disappear altogether, especially when considering the series as a whole. Then again, maybe that's too idealistic of me.

On that note, why do you think such reactions would be fair regarding Kudelia?
Dendrobium Stamen

Amion wrote:Exactly how "different" are we going to want in a Gundam story? It's 30+ years old. There's been so many entries to the franchise that we can't really say "Oh wow, that's never been done!"
Evidence-01 aside, I point you toward the ELS... but I do see your point, completely. As a franchise, Mobile Suit Gundam is 36 years old - were it a human, it'd probably be a dependable salaryman with a wife and child/children by now. A lot of the biggest, boldest ideas have been thought and put into practice by now - which isn't to say there are none left, as you note, just that we may not want them in Gundam; got to leave some things for Macross, after all ;)
Amion wrote:I've been seeing a lot of "Been there, seen this before." reactions. Fair, especially with Kudelia. I just wish we'd not have it so early on.
I think these reactions are natural at this stage - the series is too new to be itself, we (me included) are looking at the component parts and saying "I know this bit, I've seen it in another series!", because we're too close to the beginnings of Iron-Blooded Orphans to see a holistic whole, we're just picking at the sum of its parts because we can. Not that that's a bad thing, of course, it's worth recognising that not every idea is brand-spanking-new; but it'll be interesting to see how the new and the familiar mesh together as the series goes on.
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
Amion

monster wrote:
I actually would expect such reactions this early. Those are typical first impression reactions. Ideally, as the series develops and grows into its own identity, such reactions would decrease if not disappear altogether, especially when considering the series as a whole. Then again, maybe that's too idealistic of me.

On that note, why do you think such reactions would be fair regarding Kudelia?
Considering the production crew were on board for 00, it's not unreasonable I think for some people to expect they'd do similar things with her as Marina Ismael. And we have had characters in Kudelia's situation, if not immediately or of their own will, like Relena. She very easily could still fall into that stereotype, which may or may not be a good thing per individual opinion.

I realize it's only a first impression reaction, but that doesn't mean I like seeing it, especially since I know some who simply aren't watching because it didn't look mind-blowingly different or new.
monster

Amion wrote:Considering the production crew were on board for 00, it's not unreasonable I think for some people to expect they'd do similar things with her as Marina Ismael. And we have had characters in Kudelia's situation, if not immediately or of their own will, like Relena. She very easily could still fall into that stereotype, which may or may not be a good thing per individual opinion.
The thing is, Kudelia isn't really in the same situation as either Marina or Relena.

Marina's goal was simply to find foreign aid for her country.
Relena's goal has something to do with pacifism.
Kudelia's goal is either to gain independence/separation from Earth for the colony in Mars and/or more favorable trade between the colony and Earth.
Kuruni

I think Kudelia is more of Cagalli, but trade the action with more thoughtful personality.
Destiny_Gundam wrote:Aina is definitely being set up as the main heroine, and in anime 99% of the time the main heroine has to get involved with the main hero romantically no matter how much sense it makes. Watch it end up like Turn A did. That kind of drama is right up Okada's alley.
From my observation (which is pretty limited, I must admit), I think it would become more clear if they ever bother to develope Atra. If we never get to know why she ever has crush on Mika, then she really stand no chance (which is sadly, usually how Gundam handle romance). But if we ever get even one flashback of why she's so attach to him (and doesn't get killed off soon afterward), then her chance is actually pretty good.

It's too early to make a call now, unless you're yaoi fangirl and almost finish the first draft of MikaXOrga fanfic :P .
Last edited by Kuruni on Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monster

Kuruni wrote:I think Kudelia is more of Cagalli
In terms of what?
Kuruni

A rebellious princess who get out of her comfort home to does what she believe in, even if it's soon clear enough that she doesn't know as much as she think.
monster

Kuruni wrote:A rebellious princess who get out of her comfort home to does what she believe in, even if it's soon clear enough that she doesn't know as much as she think.
Technically, both Relena and Marina also left the comfort of their own home to do things according to their beliefs. In fact, that can also apply to other Gundam characters as well. The same also holds true as far as people not knowing as much as they think.

As for being rebellious, I believe the part where Cagalli went outside of Orb's territory and actually did something while her father was still alive was at her father's approval, which would be the near opposite of what's happening with Kudelia now.

Speaking of which, I wonder what role Kudelia's father actually have that he cannot even control the actions of his teenaged daughter when he clearly opposes it.
Kuruni

Relena take some time before walk dow that road, while Marina's mission is still what you expect to be within her function as princess. Cagali and Kudelia's mission are something not within their function (consider that Kudelia's father did object it).
In fact, that can also apply to other Gundam characters as well
You ignoring princess/ojou element of the character. Well, if you disect a character's elements into various tropes, then attribute each of them to different characters, then yes, some of them will apply to many characters. How else TV Tropes become so big?

Now, if you think I said Kudelia is just dress-up Cagali, I didn't. I just think they start with similar archetype, but Kudelia seem to get a clue faster about her naive than Cagali (and unlikely to ever get in action herself), so their character developement should be in total different direction.

Just curious, what you though to be my reply? Is it something along the line of "talk big but actually powerless"?
monster

Kuruni wrote:Cagali and Kudelia's mission are something not within their function.
I suppose that would depend on what Kudelia's function is. I'm not actually sure what that is at the moment.
Kuruni wrote:Just curious, what you though to be my reply? Is it something along the line of "talk big but actually powerless"?
No, I wasn't focusing on the powerlessness aspect. I just think the two are going at this from the opposite ends. While one is on a personal quest, the other had a mission in mind that affects her colony. So that makes the comparison with Cagalli no more and no less valid than the comparison with Relena and Marina.

And with that said:
Kuruni wrote:Well, if you disect a character's elements into various tropes, then attribute each of them to different characters, then yes, some of them will apply to many characters.
All the more reason why I think a one-to-one comparison is not really meaningful if its just based on these superficial similarities. Of course, when there are substantial similarities, then the differences would serve as a contrast between the two characters. For example, Char and Zechs have more substantial similarities than Char and Neo, which have more superficial similarities.

Until we know more about Kudelia, I think a comparison with Cagalli, Relena, or Marina would be more like a comparison between Char and Neo.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Amion wrote:
Deathzealot wrote:Don't Jinx it Amion!?!
You mean like how Arbiter said "I am confident in AGE's future."? :P
When the hell did I EVER say that?!
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Amion

Oh Arbiter... I'm sorry. I know the trauma is deep. :P
balofo

Currrent known Seven Star members, notice the Gjallarhorn crest has seven stars in it:
-Fareed family: headed by Azunario, McGillis is his adopted son.
-Bauduin family: unknown head, Gaelio and Arumiria siblings.

Maybe we're getting more aces from the other families