The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Locked
User avatar
Dark Duel
Posts: 4784
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:39 pm
Location: A blue City in a red State

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by Dark Duel » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:19 am

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Biscuit has siblings named Cookie and Cracker. Of course :lol:
Yeah, I facepalmed pretty hard at that one. It's almost funny, but yeah.
I enjoyed the episode overall as well. As I'm sure everyone saw coming, the episode starts with a flashback to what Mika was up to while Orga and the others were out there fighting, with
Spoiler
Show
Mika's mobile worker cockpit being installed in Barbatos, and a little bit of well-placed exposition as to how the thing works with that neural-interfacing system.
Then the faaabulous McGillis Fareed and Gaelio Bauduin meet up with the guy who ordered the attack on CGS to kill Kudelia.

Speaking of which, the more I see of her, the more I like her. Very interested in seeing what happens next. Poor Atra though. It's kinda cute how she has a thing for Minazuki, who of course is typically oblivious(though justified IMO in his case). I just hope they end up doing something significant with the story there, too - though I don't like those odds :/
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS
// GUNPLA THREAD //

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."

User avatar
Deathzealot
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:08 am
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by Deathzealot » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:25 am

What I am wondering is what happened to the President? Did he get killed off-screen or something?

User avatar
Amion
Posts: 2167
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:43 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by Amion » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:37 am

Zeonista, this show is giving me a Zeta Gundam feel. :D

But first... Cracker and Cookie make their entrance. I had the same reaction as Destiny. "Cookie and Cracker are Biscuit's younger sisters? Of course!"
Spoiler
Show
This episode's battle blew my mind. It was even better than Fafner Exodus' battles this season! And Exodus impressed me by many leaps and bounds.

I just feel like a new standard has been set for Gundam battles. The age of Wing's fodder fests is currently taking a break! I haven't seen this kind of fighting since Zeta! The music hit the right notes on the fight score perfectly, as well.

Was I the only who, surely not, loved the dialogue between the old guy and Mika?
"You're a child?!" Mika: "You bet. And so are all you've killed. And so are the ones who will kill you all."

I had goosebumps from that. When was the last time we had a Gundam pilot actively taunting a foe with the intent to kill? Not since Jared and Kamille? This kid ain't no Kio/Kira. You can easily hear the sheer malice in his voice when he replies to Crank.
Some may find this episode heavy-handed in some scenes, but I feel it can't help it. Heavy topics hit hard. Especially when it's from the POV of a woman who's just now realizing how right she's been all this time. In fact, her beliefs are being proven more than justified.
Spoiler
Show
The maid dodged the question of how she was injured. She's more than she seems. Could she be at traitor? She ran when she should have been by Kudelia's side, and reported straight to her father... I don't trust her.
The ending theme reminds me of Old Folk Blues (or whatever it's called) from Cowboy Beebop, but crossed with Zeta's ending theme. Definitely a Zeta vibe coming from this show. Definitely. Okada, you're fastly impressing me, and it looks like you know how to write a fight scene like Tomino. Good show, Woman, good show. *claps hands in applause*
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.

User avatar
balofo
Posts: 2459
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:45 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by balofo » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:00 pm

Am I the only one praying for this to have a 2nd Season in 2016?

User avatar
Dark Duel
Posts: 4784
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:39 pm
Location: A blue City in a red State

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by Dark Duel » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:04 pm

Real Folk Blues. I actually didn't watch the ED clip. But maybe I should...And yeah, I agree with pretty much everything else. Y'know, it's funny, but Crank Zent is turning out to be a lot more likable a character than I expected from the character design. I mean, aside from the fact that every time I try to type that name, my brain makes me want to type "Clark Kent" instead, I actually like the guy. He reminds me a bit of a more badass version of Andreas Darlton.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS
// GUNPLA THREAD //

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."

User avatar
Raikoh
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:42 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by Raikoh » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:09 pm

I admit that the most common complaint about the exposition dumps are not entirely unjustified, but I also feel that people are looking for things to complain about if the only thing on their minds is how they'd prefer to be left in the dark. It's a brand new setting with a ton of characters right off the bat, I think a little exposition is necessary for world building.

So far I think Tekketsu is decent. It feels like it's building up steam for things later down the line, since there are a ton of character arcs that are apparent from the first two episodes. M3 took 8 episodes to actually start picking up, so I wouldn't be surprised if Tekketsu has similar pacing.

I like the new take on the peace princess that Kudelia brings in where she's not nearly as important as she's made out to be, although I wish that her character had a bit more meat behind it, since at the moment she's pretty stock. Mika is okay, he's certainly more interesting than the standard Chirico-inspired main character. So far, I think the best written character is probably Orga although the most likable are the snack family.

I get the feeling Biscuit is going to die, given how useful his ability to sense Ahab Reactors is likely to be.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE

nacho-wan
Posts: 425
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: A galaxy far far away...

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by nacho-wan » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:44 pm

Dark Duel wrote:
Destiny_Gundam wrote:Biscuit has siblings named Cookie and Cracker. Of course :lol:
Yeah, I facepalmed pretty hard at that one. It's almost funny, but yeah.
:/
Join me in your club. I was like what...?! Is their mother named Dough or smething?

I was impressed with the episode. A solid follw up. I ended craving from more mobile suit combat.
Spoiler
Show
guess we'll get a duel in the next episode
. Love the fact that the graze ain't cannon fodder like I though. Gives more weight to the battle when you don't expect the opponent to blw up from a random shot like the leos from wing.

My only concern is that Kudelia is going t become Fraw Bow and team biscuit her charges...
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller

User avatar
Evex
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:33 am

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by Evex » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:44 pm

Amion wrote:

The ending theme reminds me of Old Folk Blues (or whatever it's called) from Cowboy Beebop, but crossed with Zeta's ending theme. Definitely a Zeta vibe coming from this show. Definitely. Okada, you're fastly impressing me, and it looks like you know how to write a fight scene like Tomino. Good show, Woman, good show. *claps hands in applause*
Odd I got a james bond feel from the ending. It just sounded like something you would hear at the beginning of one of the james bond films. Its a very different contrast to the shows actual opening. Where the opening is more up beat, but the ending is more solemn in its approach.

User avatar
Deacon Blues
Posts: 1484
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:39 pm
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by Deacon Blues » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:30 pm

Well, the episode is starting with the Engrish again... this time with Gandam appearing on the post boot-up screen for the OS. Plus, they're still going with Kuderia for her name, which makes me wonder if that really is supposed to be the spelling and they're just utilizing some weird one for the subs for some odd reason. Can't quite make out the other squares on the screen. They're visible but not really visible :/


SAR - Synthetic-Aperture Radar
ADF - Automatic Direction Finder

IRS - Interrespondence System (not sure)
AWS - ** Weapons System
OS - Official Sensor (not sure)

AI - Attitude Indicator
SPWS - Special Purpose Weapons System (just a guess)
AMS - Active ** SYstem
ND - Navigation Display
AFS - ** Filing System (similar to the Andrew File System?)
SLR -
PFCS - Powered ** Control System (Thought it was primary, but you can read power)

User avatar
RyuseiDateSRX
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 11:31 am
Location: London

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by RyuseiDateSRX » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:30 pm

Awesome episode. Loved it.
RyuseiDateSRX wrote:Also, this is something I wanted to ask ever since watching PV2 when it came out, but does anyone else also think that Mikazuki sees through Barbatos' eyes directly through his own eyes? If you look at the end of PV2, the activation sequence in the cockpit seems to show a retinal scan or whatever and then it switches to another view with a HUD. And from the way the camera view is more elevated on that second view, which seems to line up where Barbatos' head is, it seems to suggest that Mikazuki is directly seeing through Barbatos' eyes and seeing its HUD. Plus, in the episode, there was light reflecting on Mikazuki's eyes in Barbatos' cockpit. If Mikazuki does see through Barbatos' eyes directly through his own eyes, then that's freaking awesome!
I called it. Awesome.

User avatar
Amion
Posts: 2167
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:43 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by Amion » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:58 pm

RyuseiDateSRX wrote:Awesome episode. Loved it.
RyuseiDateSRX wrote:Also, this is something I wanted to ask ever since watching PV2 when it came out, but does anyone else also think that Mikazuki sees through Barbatos' eyes directly through his own eyes? If you look at the end of PV2, the activation sequence in the cockpit seems to show a retinal scan or whatever and then it switches to another view with a HUD. And from the way the camera view is more elevated on that second view, which seems to line up where Barbatos' head is, it seems to suggest that Mikazuki is directly seeing through Barbatos' eyes and seeing its HUD. Plus, in the episode, there was light reflecting on Mikazuki's eyes in Barbatos' cockpit. If Mikazuki does see through Barbatos' eyes directly through his own eyes, then that's freaking awesome!
I called it. Awesome.
You certainly did. Finally, we get a mecha with a system like that installed. It's amazing. Goodbye, panoramic monitor...
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.

User avatar
Kyuzo Aoi
Posts: 393
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:13 am

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by Kyuzo Aoi » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:17 pm

The Ending theme, is a bit...balladic. A nice change from the norm, though. It's like being back to the 70s.
I am a Gundam!

nacho-wan
Posts: 425
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: A galaxy far far away...

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by nacho-wan » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:14 am

Deacon Blues wrote:Well, the episode is starting with the Engrish again... this time with Gandam appearing on the post boot-up screen for the OS. Plus, they're still going with Kuderia for her name, which makes me wonder if that really is supposed to be the spelling and they're just utilizing some weird one for the subs for some odd reason. Can't quite make out the other squares on the screen. They're visible but not really visible :/


SAR - Synthetic-Aperture Radar
ADF - Automatic Direction Finder

IRS - Interrespondence System (not sure)
AWS - ** Weapons System
OS - Official Sensor (not sure)

AI - Attitude Indicator
SPWS - Special Purpose Weapons System (just a guess)
AMS - Active ** SYstem
ND - Navigation Display
AFS - ** Filing System (similar to the Andrew File System?)
SLR -
PFCS - Powered ** Control System (Thought it was primary, but you can read power)
As for the OS talk, nobdy found weird that a demon named MS as three crosses on the log on its start/up screen
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller

User avatar
battletech
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:56 am
Location: Orbiting Jupiter

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by battletech » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:44 pm

nacho-wan wrote:
Deacon Blues wrote:Well, the episode is starting with the Engrish again... this time with Gandam appearing on the post boot-up screen for the OS. Plus, they're still going with Kuderia for her name, which makes me wonder if that really is supposed to be the spelling and they're just utilizing some weird one for the subs for some odd reason. Can't quite make out the other squares on the screen. They're visible but not really visible :/


SAR - Synthetic-Aperture Radar
ADF - Automatic Direction Finder

IRS - Interrespondence System (not sure)
AWS - ** Weapons System
OS - Official Sensor (not sure)

AI - Attitude Indicator
SPWS - Special Purpose Weapons System (just a guess)
AMS - Active ** SYstem
ND - Navigation Display
AFS - ** Filing System (similar to the Andrew File System?)
SLR -
PFCS - Powered ** Control System (Thought it was primary, but you can read power)
As for the OS talk, nobdy found weird that a demon named MS as three crosses on the log on its start/up screen

It could be that it's representing a bound demon. The mobile suit is a demon and to use it for your own purpose it has to be controlled.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke

User avatar
Quiddity
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:13 am
Location: The Ephemeris

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by Quiddity » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:48 pm

Checked out the first episode, was fairly decent but similar to Reconguista it was hard to understand the various factions presented, such as who those 2 guys in the spaceship were (Gaelio and McGillis I think?) and how they connect to everything. At least from my perspective as one who is basically coming into the show completely blind without having read up on the show at all.

The main character's design reminds me a lot of Jiron Amos from Xabungle for some reason.
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.

User avatar
Deacon Blues
Posts: 1484
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:39 pm
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by Deacon Blues » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:40 pm

Quiddity wrote:Checked out the first episode, was fairly decent but similar to Reconguista it was hard to understand the various factions presented, such as who those 2 guys in the spaceship were (Gaelio and McGillis I think?) and how they connect to everything. At least from my perspective as one who is basically coming into the show completely blind without having read up on the show at all.

The main character's design reminds me a lot of Jiron Amos from Xabungle for some reason.
It's fairly established in the first episode that they're inspectors and are travelling to Mars to check up on things. If you watch episode 2 it continues with their arrival...

latenlazy
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:30 am

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by latenlazy » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:47 am

nacho-wan wrote:
Dark Duel wrote:
Destiny_Gundam wrote:Biscuit has siblings named Cookie and Cracker. Of course :lol:
Yeah, I facepalmed pretty hard at that one. It's almost funny, but yeah.
:/
Join me in your club. I was like what...?! Is their mother named Dough or smething?
It's Oven, obviously.

User avatar
Not Heero Yuy
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:35 am

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by Not Heero Yuy » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:06 am

Hiya, newbie here. Just wanna say that IBO is looking like a promising new title to the franchise.

- Animation is great
- Music is great
- Big fan of Barbatos' design. Looking forward to see how this gets upgraded mid-way
- Having only 25 episodes (So far) Hoping to see 25+ more
- So many likable characters. Biscuit, Orga and of course, Mikazuki are on my favorite list in the series
- Kudelia seemed to be an interesting character as well

I've never been this hyped since Unicorn's EP7. I wasn't a fan of the G-Reco series, Build Fighters was only great during fights but that's it.

User avatar
Amion
Posts: 2167
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:43 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by Amion » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:35 am

Not Heero Yuy wrote:Hiya, newbie here. Just wanna say that IBO is looking like a promising new title to the franchise.

- Animation is great
- Music is great
- Big fan of Barbatos' design. Looking forward to see how this gets upgraded mid-way
- Having only 25 episodes (So far) Hoping to see 25+ more
- So many likable characters. Biscuit, Orga and of course, Mikazuki are on my favorite list in the series
- Kudelia seemed to be an interesting character as well

I've never been this hyped since Unicorn's EP7. I wasn't a fan of the G-Reco series, Build Fighters was only great during fights but that's it.
Now, now. Don't get too excited. This is the Gundam fandom, after all. :P
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.

User avatar
Deathzealot
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:08 am
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Post by Deathzealot » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:39 am

Don't Jinx it Amion!?!

Locked