The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Amion

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

While it could be better, I get a good feeling from the op. It reminds me of Code Geass' op. I sincerely do hope it's the worst of the OPs and we get a better one, rather than a worse. I still remember that second OP from Code Geass...

Ok. So 25 episodes. What gives, sunrise? You were prepared to give AGE 50+ and when it fails you decide all the rest of the Gundam series should just stay 25 episode blurbs? No. I'm not happy is an understatement. I'm furious.

Our only hope is that Orphans manages to garner enough support back home to qualify for a round 2. *Starts praying*
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
balofo

the recent character update says Coral Conrad plans on assassinating Kudelia and that he will hate Mcgillis when he arrives at the Gjalahorn Mars Branch
Arbiter GUNDAM

Kuruni wrote: *nod* Despite being naive rebellious princess archetype, her reaction to Mika's words make me think that she's ready to grow out of it.
One could hope. Princess, Queen and female leader-type characters often don't fare well in Gundam. Of course there's always room for improvement. :)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
LightningCount

IMPORTANT: Don't judge the final episode count totally on Blu-ray releases. The recent Fafner Exodus series only had 13 episodes scheduled for its Blu-rays because, unbeknownst to viewers at the time, it was going to be split into two seasons, for a total of 26. Now, that said, there was an initial announcement saying 26 episodes for Fafner Exodus before the Blu-rays said only 13. I'm not sure if there was an initial announcement for Iron Blooded Orphans that said 50 or not.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
RyuseiDateSRX

Well there was once a 4chan thread quite recently saying that Iron-Blooded Orphans is gonna be 50 episodes split into 2 cours. But I don't remember seeing a source. I really hope it's true though. 25 episodes is not enough. Especially for a series that seems to be promising so far.

Also, I was thinking about if they're gonna show all 72 Gundams in the show, but if it's 25 episodes, then that's less likely. With 50, there's a better chance.

I am thinking though, they might not necessarily show all 72 Gundams, no matter the episode count. I get the feeling Bandai might make a bit of them figure/game/manga/other exclusive. I hope they still will show a lot of the Gundams in the anime though.
monster

Maybe Sunrise has found the sweet spot for Gundam with Build Fighters and Reconguista and is merely continuing that trend. There's nothing wrong with that. Plenty of shows have only 25/26, or even 12/13, episode counts.
Amion

If anything, I'd very vehemently argue, and I know I'm not alone, that Reconguista was very much not meant for 25 episodes and acts as a good showcase for what happens to a series with a lot of material without enough time to fulfill.

We can't truly argue for Orphans, until we know the gist or even most of the plot, whether it deserves fifty episodes.

It does seem to be this trend though, probably because of costs, for shows to only be 25 episodes or so. Maybe this time will be different if the show gets serious praise. I get the feeling Reconguista, if it was successful, might have gotten better treatment.

Or, it could be it was given less attention because Orphans was in the works.

On another note: I read earlier that the staff on this show are almost the same as 00, and that its been in the works since 00's ending. Where's the source for this? If it's true, then I feel it will indeed get 50 episodes, given how long Bandai has had it in the process of creation.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
monster

Amion wrote:If anything, I'd very vehemently argue, and I know I'm not alone, that Reconguista was very much not meant for 25 episodes and acts as a good showcase for what happens to a series with a lot of material without enough time to fulfill.
Are you saying that Reconguista was cut short? Because otherwise, then they should've known that they only had 25 episodes and to write a story that would fit that length.

At this point, if Orphans really is only meant to be 25 episodes in length, then all we can expect is that they know not to write a 50-episode story. Because if they do, and the quality suffers because of it, then the blame is not on the episode count, but on them.
balofo

If the series is indeed 25 eps only, then it's a simple journey from Mars to Earth as this pic shows in the official website: http://g-tekketsu.com/world/img/plot.jpg

In the same site there's a pic of the ep 14 script which is called: The ship that carries hope. http://img.sunrise-inc.co.jp/images/201 ... 032734.jpg

I'm assuming they get the Tekkadan ship around mid-series, first half is in Mars and the second will be the travel to Earth.

That seems pretty underwhelming considering the awesome setting they gave us
monster

They could just skip much of the travel. I don't think this series has to be like Star Trek Voyager.
CyborgZeta

The longer the series stays on Mars, the better. It would be a waste if they went to Earth too soon.
My Anime/Manga stats.
"Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
Gundam0089

I hope the series is 50 episodes, weary on this 25 ep thing. Odd how we don't have a clear answer yet. Isn't this information that's released before the first episode airs?
Kratos

Bit late to the party, but some Thoughts!

+Nice artwork that fits with the setting.

+I'm getting very strong vibes from the core cast - likable, and with a good internal dynamic. Also, lacking in cliche, for the most part, which is nice.

+Kudelia is already leaps and bounds better than similar Gundam heroines - much more directly engaged with the action and the main cast than Relena or Marina ever were and with a clear arc ahead of her. I hope she continues to be a central aspect of the show.

+Unique setting for a Gundam series. That's been the trend for more AUs than people tend to realize, but it's still nice to get away from the Colonies and have a new setting to play around in.

+Mecha look very cool in motion. Design work is strong.

+Theme song is so, SO rad. It's amazing what a visually and musically that can bring to a show.

Stuff I didn't like:
-The episode was over-stuffed. Watching it was like talking to somebody who is really excited about a pretty cool idea they have, and so they're breathlessly telling you about everything without giving anything time to sink in. Plenty of the stuff could have been saved for even the second episode. The first should have spent more time with the boys, really establishing the setting and world they live in.

-Similarly, the rushed aspect made what is on paper a fairly simple political situation muddied and confusing onscreen. Not critically so, but it shouldn't be as obtuse as it was.

-Atra. She needed more. A scene with Mikazuki would have gone miles in establishing their friendship, maybe something where he visits and tells her about his mission (which I assume he'd done, because how else would she have known?). A friendship between a young soldier treated like a dog by his PMC and a shop girl who treats him like a normal dude is an interesting dynamic that would fit the series like a glove; a girl pining after a boy from afar is boring. I hope we get more there.

-While the boys themselves are fine, I really didn't like how one-dimensionally awful their superiors were.

-A couple weird jump cuts took me out of the action. The obvious one is when Mikazuki comes out with the Barbatos, but the beginning, when the boys are suddenly training in their Mobile Workers, had a similar effect.

-And on that note, I wish the Barbatos itself had been...I dunno, explained? Or mentioned. Why isn't it being used by the PMC? That it's a relic from the previous war is made pretty clear in the episode, but only through inference. Is it (assumed to be) damaged? If so, why is it there? Is its special reactor, I dunno, powering their base? Is it a fixer-upper project, and if so, it would have been nice to have had that established. If its functionality or value is known, why would it have been left behind by the superiors when they fled? So much about it could have been established so much better. Hopefully some answers will come, but it didn't seem to be presented as mystery by the show, so I dunno.

I'm not as pumped as I was for G-Reco, but I'm definitely on board and interested to see where this goes.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
zetatype

Kratos wrote: -And on that note, I wish the Barbatos itself had been...I dunno, explained? Or mentioned. Why isn't it being used by the PMC? That it's a relic from the previous war is made pretty clear in the episode, but only through inference. Is it (assumed to be) damaged? If so, why is it there? Is its special reactor, I dunno, powering their base? Is it a fixer-upper project, and if so, it would have been nice to have had that established. If its functionality or value is known, why would it have been left behind by the superiors when they fled? So much about it could have been established so much better. Hopefully some answers will come, but it didn't seem to be presented as mystery by the show, so I dunno.
Mika told Kudelia that the base is powered by an Ahab reactor. In the beginning of the episode where Mika finds Orga in the room with the Barbatos you see all these huge cables coming out of it. Also sortly before the Barbatos makes its grand entrance we see the base lights go out. So yes the implication is that the base is powered by the Gundam. This would also explain why the PMC is not using it in battle

As for why the superiors didn't take the gundam. Well first of all they were in a hurry so they didn't want to waste time preparing it and mobile workers are probably better suited for a quick get away (and stand out less). Another possibility is because it would give their postion away. During the attack Biscuit mentioned that he was picking up energy readings from ahab recators other than their own. This implies Ahab reactors give of a unique energy signature that can be detected.

EDIT: Another part that heavily implied the gundam was powered by an Ahab reactor is when the the inspectors were talking about ahab reactor technology and the scene switches from them to the Gundam.
Last edited by zetatype on Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kratos

There we go! Thanks. I missed the bit where Mika tells Kudelia about the base being powered by an Ahab reactor. That makes more sense.

I should probably watch the episode again; it had a lot going on, and it was pretty late when I fired it up.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Henyo

i went and made Dearest Mother watch IBO. she seemed interested enough. let's see in how far she'll make it.

Orga using their retreating superiors reminded me of the Miracle of El Facil in Legend of The Galactic Heroes. only difference is that Orga actually did something for the retreating adults to be come targets. Yang on the other hand just went the other direction.(he and the civilians escaped thanks to the Empire soldiers mistaking them for asteroids.)

anyone getting a bit of Simon and Kamina vibes from Mikazuki and Orga?
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Zeonista

I am going to join the "Yay great!" bandwagon for this show. Not just because the Colonists are the official heroes against the remote and controlling Federation. A few things to spotlight while I gnaw on the bone tossed to me by Sunrise. :D

Strong Opening Episode: I really liked this as it quickly told us what we immediately needed to know about Mars, the situation Post-Disaster, the independence movement, the hidden strength of CGS, and Gjallarhorn.

Smart Heroes: Orga, Mikazuki, Biscuit, and Eugene are clever, adaptive, and professional in their own way. Despite being regarded as speed-bump cannon fodder by everyone except Kudelia, the Third Group refuses to be dismissed as such. It's the return of the rolled-sleeves everyman heroes to Gundam (and mecha anime in general) after too long an absence. It was easy to root for them as Third Group used everything they had to fight a successful delaying action against the too-confident Gjallarhorn force.

Mikazuki: Not emo, not confused, not a social 'tard, not a Gundam. It's a good sign.

Barbatos Smash!: Best Gundam debut ever. 8) Orga's calm dispatch of Mikazuchi to go fetch the CGS's combat-capable power plant and use it as a counterattack was both awesome and a warning that the boys bear close watching by everyone.

Pretty Princess: Kudelia has indications of becoming Lacus Mk 2, an aristocrat who gives a damn and has "people power" in measure to make sure gains made by the Gundam hero(es) are not wasted. And anyone who takes Her Worship at face value as a pretty fluffball deserves what they get. Kudelia needs a little practical experience to balance her ideals, but t'will do. (Kudelia's loser dad can go die in a fire.)

Legend of Galactic Gundam Heroes: I got that vibe on Biscoe a little bit.

My only negative comment so far is for Atra-chan, who seems to be the designated ignored childhood friend right off the bat. :roll: Anyone willing to lay odds on her ending up with Biscuit at the end of the show? :lol:

Also, to YouTube and Hulu; if you guys are going to stream it too, please announce WHEN you are going to stream it so people in the Anglosphere do not diligently tune in on the broadcast date and get denied. Uncool, man, uncool.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
LightningCount

I've had a chance to gather my thoughts on Episode 1, so here's my reaction. It was a solid first episode, but not spectacular. Overall, it was better--and more involved plot-wise--than I expected, though, which is a good thing. Going in, I felt like it was going to be closer to something I'd like to see for Gundam than the previous few entries, but I wasn't sold on it. After watching it, I'm still not totally sold on it or hooked by any means, but it is closer to what I was looking for, just like I thought it might be.

Before I talk specifics, two things affected me before even watching it: 1.) I haven't kept up with Gundam very well since Gundam 00/Unicorn, only seeing bits and pieces of what's come since. However, the seeming flood of entries, whether that be remasters/reworkings with new animation, spinoffs like Build Fighters, OVAs like The Origin, or AUs like AGE and Reconguista in G has given me an overwhelmed sense of Gundam burnout, as well as the impression that the franchise is stretching its brand thin. 2.) In the interim, there have been a surprising amount of above-average mecha-related shows with their own unique innovations/approaches, making the Gundam franchise, with its flood of recent reimaginings, seem a little less special and confident in itself as of late.

So, with those factors in mind, Iron Blooded Orphans had a steep hill to climb for me.

Unlike some reviewers, I do not have a problem with the many elements it is throwing at the viewer in Episode 1. A lot of Gundam shows, especially AUs, run things this way. It's not inherently bad storytelling, and in fact, it's partially a cultural difference between Western and East Asian storytelling structures. Frankly, straightforward and linear storytelling--which sometimes seems to be an obsession in the West--can get tired fast, and this alternate, broader approach of teasing things to come can be more engaging and interactive, so long as the threads are pulled together (which is already happening). The only element I felt was maybe too sandwiched in too fast was Atra, but even that wasn't awful. All of that said, I'm not saying I loved the way all of the disparate pieces were put together--the intro flashback and the callback to that flashback were too ambiguous and forced for my tastes, for instance--but the idea of structuring it this way was not a problem for me at all.

(Some of the scene cuts were curious, though: Could Mika really get back to the Barbatos and launch that fast like The Big-O?)

Now, going back to my note about other mecha anime lately, I saw a reviewer on ANN note similarities to Aldnoah.Zero, and that did kind of strike me. To elaborate a bit with my own additions to that thought: In the wake of an old war between Earth and Mars, we have an idealistic Martian princess trying to get to Earth to broker peace against the wishes of various pompous, fancy-dressed factions in orbit who want her dead. She then is aided by a group of child soldiers with a soft-spoken male lead. And then, there is the Ahab Reactor filling in for the Aldnoah Drive.

Now, I'm not saying they're the SAME by any means, but there are enough parallels to make me feel some deja vu given how recent Aldnoah.Zero was, which is uncomfortable when entering a new series and a new Gundam universe. The old-fashioned, too-often-repeated Gundam standard element of a peace princess in of itself is kind of irksome for me. Moreover, I already see a potential Marina/Shirin-type pairing with Bernstein and her aide/servant (whom I believe to be more than she seems).

I guess I'm finding a trend in my thoughts here, but the characters are solid, though unremarkable. They were all likable enough, and the episode did a good job creating a sense of earthy camaraderie, but only Orga, Akihiro, and Nadi stood out strongly to me. Some blended in a little too much, and were hard to pick out this episode; but that's bound to happen with a cast this big.

Mika is maybe a cross between Setsuna and Garrod, but I really didn't get a strong feeling one way or the other toward him. While he did it more humanely, he did a Heero Yuy-style rejection of an Episode 1 offering from a princess girl when he wouldn't shake Bernstein's hand.

While he's his own man, Orga broadly feels like a cross between Holland from Eureka 7 and Kamina from Gurren Lagaan. Speaking of which, the relationship between Orga and Mika reminds me just a bit of Kamina and Simon somehow. Also, the whole cast of characters, with their gritty, oppressed background and ragtag look has shades of the crew from Attack on Titan.

It was a shame to see CGS’ shady boss move on so quickly. Are we really moving past the premise that quickly?

Regardless, in my mind, this series will totally fall apart if Orga is offed. He's the only one who completely stands out right now among the protagonists. The Japanese opening credits suggest he may be the Captain Bright of this series, though; and best case scenario, they create a Mega Man X-style Zero and X partnership throughout the narrative for him and Mika. (As an aside, ironically and surprisingly, I realized not too long ago that the name Orga was used for one of the Human CPUs in Gundam SEED.) But you know, Biscuit was the real surprise takeaway here, as he turned out to be an interesting player in the group, and not the bumbler/comedic relief I had expected. I also think the older enemy soldier in the Graze (the instructor of the guy who attacked) is intriguing.

Not crazy about the whole "Whiskers" thing--feels a little like it's for shock value, and it brings to mind the alien harnesses from the TV show Falling Skies. But, I suppose it does add another difference to the series.

In terms of the design work of the characters, there's not a whole lot that excites me. I don't dislike the designs, but I don't love any of them. I've noticed that since Gundam Unicorn, there have seemingly been more and more retro and/or 70s-style elements slipping into the facial or hair designs for Gundam characters, and that trend continues here, albeit more subtly. I'm not a huge fan of that trend. Some of these characters could be right at home in Cyborg 009. At least there's no masked character...

I haven't quite figured out yet if all of the fancy-dressed characters in space are on the same side or not. Are they all with Gjallarhorn, or are they two private militaries like CGS? On that note, is Gjallarhorn an official army? They were formed by the various Earth blocs according to online info, but are they subject to government oversight, or are they mercenaries? If it was in the episode, I missed it. I have to say, subtitles in a show like this don't offer the same experience as an English dub. (Though, I have no complaints about occasional mistakes in the subs--it's a simulcast stream, after all; it's lucky we're even seeing ANY official subtitles.) Even so, it's not something they needed to say yet, but I'm curious. They remind me a little of the OZ Prize outfit from the Gundam Wing side-story manga series Gundam: The Last Outpost (aka G-Unit). I could see that blond guy trying to pull a coup eventually.

While not mind-blowing, the mecha design is perhaps a little more than solid, and might be the strongest aspect thus far. While there is a bit of a ZOE flair to things, I like the dichotomy of designs we're seeing. The scenario of Mobile Workers vs. a Mobile Suit was nice, and the Graze feels like a legitimate mass-production design--actually, it has shades of something OZ or the UNE might produce. (Though, that part where it opens up its head to reveal some sort of sensor is a bit odd; fascinating, but maybe over-the-top superfluous.) My verdict is still out on the Barbatos--I'm not sure I like it as much as the enemy MS; but its big war lance looks to be both great and unique in action based on the Japanese opening credits.

The opening song is growing on me, and the images there are pretty good (even going so far as to show us space stuff very early); I wonder what the ending song will be. The OST BGM hasn't really grabbed me yet.

I do wonder where the plot will go, too. I get the impression that we will not be on Mars for too long (based on CGS' base being wrecked in Ep.1 and the space elements shown in the opening credits). That seems odd to me. If this stays at 25 episodes, it might write itself into some corners. I can see the trajectory being: struggle to get Bernstein off Mars using various covert ways and back-alley contacts to sneak her around Chryse, and then protect Bernstein in space until she gets to Earth. Could that be all there is to this? It seems hard to believe, but from a traditional, linear storytelling perspective, that's how it would go down. That seems more OVA-ish than a TV series. I'm not sure how characters like Atra are going to fit into this story; perhaps she will be a go-between in terms of gathering intel in Chryse's streets to help Bernstein. To me, if you take out the "protect the princess" angle, there were seemingly a lot more options of where to take the plot; though, this certainly gives it a simple, central focus that more casual viewers might like, and if it gives us a lot of Mars life intrigue, it still might work out well.

Anyway, the overall tone, the multiple sides to the plot, the gritty setting, and the competency of the characters were all appealing to me.

Animation-wise, it's solid. The 2D mecha are very nicely realized, but there were very few moments where I felt the action was eye-popping. I think Gundam 00 left more of an impression on me in terms of the opening action. I feel like this has a bit more of a deliberate UC approach to its fighting so far, which has its pluses and minuses. It’s strange, because I could tell they put a lot of effort and budget in, but it didn’t grab me like I would have liked. Again, it's nice to see 2D mecha again, but some of the choreography from 3D mecha lately (i.e. Fafner Exodus) has been better executed, which isn't something I thought I would ever say.

I'm grateful to be able to see this show, but the streaming does have some odd quirks. Why, for instance, can I stream on a computer for free with ads via Daisuki, but can't stream on a video game console to a TV with ads for free? Both ways, they’re still getting the ad revenue. Perhaps when Crunchyroll gets it that will change. But will Crunchyroll's stream be members only? It's already going to be a week behind, but will it keep that sense of exclusivity anyway?

With all of the streaming outlets compared to other Gundam shows, I feel like this is an effort to get back into the US and/or global market with Gundam. From the buzz on the web, it's getting new people into Gundam it sounds like (partially by simply being visible at streaming sites people use), and it seems like it's built for that. I got the impression watching this that, barring the Barbatos, it almost doesn't need to be a Gundam series. It almost could have been its own thing. I notice that they're downplaying the Gundam name on it, too, which they did before with G-Reco. Since G-Reco was originally planned for a splashy overseas release (according to implications of a 2014 NY Comic Con press release), I am wondering if they want to capture new fans without the "weight" of the Gundam name. (G-Reco had some hiccups, and so now they’re pushing IBO in its stead.) It's sort of like how Mission Impossible has put up Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation as its primary titles in recent years rather than Mission Impossible.

Anyway, overall, I think it was a fine and solid first episode. I think it will be an entertaining, quality series, and it has above-average production values; but I wasn't blown away, and I'm not without reservations going forward. The Gundam name brings a lot of expectations with it, and right now, aside from the fact that it’s giving excellently rendered 2D mecha, it isn't standing out much from the recent mecha crowd. Take away the Gundam name from it, and from one episode--which to be totally fair isn’t much to judge it on--it’s almost a middle-of-the-road mecha sci-fi.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
monster

LightningCount wrote:While he did it more humanely, he did a Heero Yuy-style rejection of an Episode 1 offering from a princess girl when he wouldn't shake Bernstein's hand.
I thought it was great was when he commented on the reason Kudelia gave as to why she wanted to shake hands, but I don't think his refusal was a rejection at all. I actually think he was genuine about not wanting to get Kudelia's hand dirty.
Stardustace53

monster wrote:
LightningCount wrote:While he did it more humanely, he did a Heero Yuy-style rejection of an Episode 1 offering from a princess girl when he wouldn't shake Bernstein's hand.
I thought it was great was when he commented on the reason Kudelia gave as to why she wanted to shake hands, but I don't think his refusal was a rejection at all. I actually think he was genuine about not wanting to get Kudelia's hand dirty.
I also liked that scene. I may be pointing out the obvious, but it seemed to foreshadow for the audience that Bernstein is going to have to "get her hands dirty" if she truly intends to make a real difference for her cause. It might be interesting to see if that means compromising her ideals to achieve some of her political goals, or having to take a life, or both. It's my only hope for her to be an interesting character moving forward, if it's handled well.

It also begs the question of whether the characters understood the significance of that exchange.

Mika was probably being polite, but is he wise beyond his years to the point of knowing/predicting that Bernstein will have to dirty her hands soon and may not realize it yet? Was he making a point to her?

More likely, I think, is that his polite reason for refusing hit her with the realization/premonition that she will have to "get her hands dirty" soon... and perhaps she's wondering just how much her ideals and morals will be bent/tested if she really intends to accomplish anything.

Or I'm reading (watching?) too much into the exchange. But maybe that's why so many people have mentioned it specifically in their reviews.
LightningCount wrote:At least there's no masked character...
That ellipsis is missing a "yet" :P

But maybe they'll do something novel with the trope.