The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
monster

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Wingnut wrote:Also they managed to get the Gundam from sitting on its duff power source to operational mobile suit quite quickly. Kinda surprised me in that sense.
Actually, I thought it would've happened sooner, around the time when that guy (who ended up dying later on anyway) first needed help.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Very solid first episode and I enjoyed the characters, particulalrly Biscuit and Orga. The exposition bits with McGillis and Gaelion were a bit clunky but most everything else was done pretty well.

Like many, I liked how we're starting off with the Mobile Workers and that these Gjallarhorn MS are very threatening and of course it was great to see Barbatos in motion and that Gjallarhorn guy get so totally owned.

All in all, unlike the first episode of the previous show I found this to be very organic, dynamic and engaging. My faith is strengthened and my body is ready for more. COME AT ME, GUNDAM!!
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Amion

*Steps forward and raises multi-ton war lance* Well, if you say so...
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Stardustace53

I was flabbergasted to find out there was a brand new Gundam series premiering today. I used to be a huge Gundam fan, but fell off the wagon after 00 (which was enjoyable enough) -- I feared I'd just grown out of it. Thank goodness I remember MAHQ, which is the only place I know where I could find other Gundam fans to discuss this new show with!

And this first episode has restored my fan-ness! It did a much better job of introducing the characters and setting than the last couple of Gundam shows I've tried to watch, without being over-expository (although I had to ask myself why the Inspector officers felt the need to even have that conversation... I guess you can't make small talk about the weather in space, so you default to world-building exposition instead).

I'm getting a definite "OZ" vibe from the Gjallarhorn guys, which isn't a bad thing.

I'm also getting a bit of a Relena vibe from Ms. Burnstein, which IS a bad thing.

The orphans (boys/teens/young men) didn't come off as too cliche for my tastes, and there's enough that I want to know about their past to make up for the emotionless child super pilot, and unpleasant treatment of kid pilots cliches that seem to pop up in Gundam a lot. It was a little disappointing that the only female characters I remember were a naive rich girl with empathy that may border on stupidity, and a little girl whose defining trait will be her crush on the stoic main boy. I guess it's a Japanese thing.

Still reserving judgement on the body count. It'll be interesting to see how deaths are handles moving forward. The
Spoiler
mine-laying kids
were pretty obviously dead-meat after the first scene, and I'm not sure if it was necessary, as the injustice of the 3rd division's situation in the final act of the episode was enough to get me invested in the action. I suppose it did serve to make me dislike the overzealous Gal. (abbreviated because spelling is hard, darn it!) commander more.
Kyuzo Aoi

I watched the episode and the fact that the setting is on the Martian surface is a bit of fresh air from the last series. Barbatos knocking the Graze with a mace is kinda a bit anticlimactic, but it shows.

The mobile workers looked decent in combat; of course unless you bring a regular MS.

I think McGillis might go Graham Aker/Mister Bushido in the later episodes. He's the requisite Char, for sure.

Now the mystery is solved on why the CGS pilots go shirtless. The nodes on their backs connect them to the device amplifying their abilities.

Not!Dique Gunhale is actually more likeable than we thought. He's a more emotional version of Inaho Kaizuka from Aldnoah, voice actor notwithstanding, with the piloting skills given to Mikazuki instead.
I am a Gundam!
nacho-wan

monster wrote:
Wingnut wrote:Also they managed to get the Gundam from sitting on its duff power source to operational mobile suit quite quickly. Kinda surprised me in that sense.
Actually, I thought it would've happened sooner, around the time when that guy (who ended up dying later on anyway) first needed help.
magnetic coating in the joins helps with getting the rust out!
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
balofo

1st BD only has ep 1, the 8 remaining will have 3 eps each.

25 eps series confirmed
Deathzealot

balofo wrote:1st BD only has ep 1, the 8 remaining will have 3 eps each.

25 eps series confirmed
Goddammnit!! Is this going to be the new thing for Gundam Shows Now or What? I am really getting tired of these shortened series. /sigh/

That said, still the first episode therefore I am not going to say anything about the series yet but the episode itself was quite interesting. I loved that the Gundam showed up like that which made it one of the better Gundam introductions yet in my opinion.
balofo

Yeah I really wanted this one to be 50 eps since there's enough material to go around...
Deathzealot

Hmmm I wonder. Are they going to do two seasons maybe like 00 which would be interesting? It is a bit early for them to announce that but it would be a interesting change.
balofo

Deathzealot wrote:Hmmm I wonder. Are they going to do two seasons maybe like 00 which would be interesting? It is a bit early for them to announce that but it would be a interesting change.
There was some speculation it would be like 00 seasons but nothing officially said yet.

If it's 25 eps only then it will a be a waste
Deathzealot

balofo wrote:
If it's 25 eps only then it will a be a waste
Agreed.
Kuruni

Deathzealot wrote:Hmmm I wonder. Are they going to do two seasons maybe like 00 which would be interesting? It is a bit early for them to announce that but it would be a interesting change.
Not this again...

By 20th or so episode we will praise this as the greatest gift from Sunrise, then spend much of 2nd season complaining.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Deathzealot

Who knows. Still it is a bit early to say anything we should sit back and wait to see what is going to happen.
Gundam420

This episode was okay. Nothing bad, but nothing amazing either. For a first episode it comes across as too infodumpy. I don't mind info dumps as long as they're interesting, but I can't help but shake the feeling that with everyone complaining about G-Reco being "hard to understand" they're trying to make this as accessible as possible. Because of that, this episode didn't leave much of an impression on me compared to other first Gundam episodes and left me kinda bored. Still I'm looking forward to what this show has in store.
PSN: (Japan Account) gundaminator
hitokirigarou

I hope Orga doesn't become an antagonist later on.
zetatype

Woooooo!!!! time for a new Gundam series.

Ok gotta admit I wasn't exactly hyped going into this epsiode, proabably due to a little bit of Gundam fatigue, but after watching it I gotta say I'm definitely a lot more interested.

I have to say quite a lot to pack into just one episode but it gets the job done pretty well and gives a good idea of what to expect.

One of my concerns when IBO was announced was the show was stretching itself out too much with its cast of characters. However, the episode gives a good first impression of the characters, particularly the CGS kids who give off a bit of an "08th MS team" vibe. The only concern I have atm is Mika's stoic and kinda emotionless personality, but its seems the show is well aware of this as Orga has more than enough personality to pick up the "emotional" slack. Hell, if it weren't for the previews I would have thought Orga was the MC given how many lines and screen time he has. And based on the OP it looks like the show will be treating Mika and Orga as equals rather than Orga just merely filling in a supporting role as the mentor/big brother. Apart from his piloting, one thing I did like about Mika was his short conversation with Kudelia when she wanted to shake hands.

As for Kudelia, I think she's ok. She definitely fills in the naive princess/diplomat pursuing peace and independence, though she doesn't come off as too naive or happy go lucky.

One other small concern I have regarding the character is how a lot of the adults come off as scummy in either their personality or character design. Granted a lot of other Gundam series have the "adults suck" theme present, but it seems a bit more overt in IBO especially just from just the first episode. Granted there are a few that don't come off like this particularly the mechanic Orga was talking to about the "whiskers".

The action was pretty good and i find myself liking the fighting between the mobile workers more than I though I would. The Barbatos' entrance was really short as far as first time entrances for gundams go, but syncing that one track with it bursting out of the ground gave the scene quite an impact despite its short time.

Finally, loving the OP. Great song and good animation. Love reapeating those first few line over and over. Also pretty good English on the singer's part, though he might want to put more emphasis on the "dir" part of "direction"
Dendrobium Stamen wrote: Getting a very Zone of the Enders vibe so far, with the MWs standing in for LEVs, and the MS standing in for Orbital Frames... not a bad thing mind you, I really enjoy the ZOE universe.
Same here, I hope that the mobile workers stick around for a while as the work horse for the conflicting factions since its gives the mobile suits and the gundam a much more imposing feel.
zerogradius

Stardustace53 wrote:And this first episode has restored my fan-ness! It did a much better job of introducing the characters and setting than the last couple of Gundam shows I've tried to watch
I felt the same way. I was put off by G Reco initially. Had no problem with this one.
I'm also getting a bit of a Relena vibe from Ms. Burnstein, which IS a bad thing.
Yes, and very much so. I really hope this is not the case. One Relena was bad enough. Mika also needs more of a personality. Hopefully they will both be more fleshed out as this series progresses.
It was a little disappointing that the only female characters I remember were a naive rich girl with empathy that may border on stupidity, and a little girl whose defining trait will be her crush on the stoic main boy. I guess it's a Japanese thing.
You must be reading my mind because I had the same impression. I hope other characters who will be part of the action will play a pivotal role at some point.
Kuruni

zetatype wrote:As for Kudelia, I think she's ok. She definitely fills in the naive princess/diplomat pursuing peace and independence, though she doesn't come off as too naive or happy go lucky.
*nod* Despite being naive rebellious princess archetype, her reaction to Mika's words make me think that she's ready to grow out of it.

BTW, although her role is only minor in the first episode, the way she announce next episode (with cheerful voice that totally contrast the tone of this episode) make me wonder if Atra's role would be to "soften" thing? Hopefully she won't just get killed off in few episodes.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Destiny_Gundam

Kuruni wrote:BTW, although her role is only minor in the first episode, the way she announce next episode (with cheerful voice that totally contrast the tone of this episode) make me wonder if Atra's role would be to "soften" thing? Hopefully she won't just get killed off in few episodes.
Nah, she won't die. Well, at least she won't die until after she gets utterly heartbroken by Mika getting taken away by the princess.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."