The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
monster

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Chris wrote:If Gundam were anti-war, no one would ever fight at all.
An anti-war sentiment does not need to be portrayed by a strict non-violence approach. It is simply enough to portray war as being an undesirable situation even if, on occasions, fighting in a war is considered necessary to prevent an even worse situation.

In that sense, even Build Fighters can be considered as indirectly/subtly presenting an anti-war sentiment by showing how much better life can be when the world is not being ravaged by an actual war.

That said, Orphans doesn't need to worry about it either way.
Chris
Administrator

monster wrote:
Chris wrote:If Gundam were anti-war, no one would ever fight at all.
An anti-war sentiment does not need to be portrayed by a strict non-violence approach. It is simply enough to portray war as being an undesirable situation even if, on occasions, fighting in a war is considered necessary to prevent an even worse situation.

In that sense, even Build Fighters can be considered as indirectly/subtly presenting an anti-war sentiment by showing how much better life can be when the world is not being ravaged by an actual war.

That said, Orphans doesn't need to worry about it either way.
I would argue that Gundam has never and will never genuinely have an anti-war message because as an action series it simultaneously glorifies the war and weapons that characters preach against. A true anti-war story wouldn't focus on the combat in that way. But if you stick with "war is a necessary evil" you can still have your action scenes.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
monster

Chris wrote:I would argue that Gundam has never and will never genuinely have an anti-war message because as an action series it simultaneously glorifies the war and weapons that characters preach against. A true anti-war story wouldn't focus on the combat in that way. But if you stick with "war is a necessary evil" you can still have your action scenes.
Rather than the combat scenes, I think what prevents Gundam from genuinely having an anti-war message is the commercialization of the gunpla. Nevertheless, it was never my intention to make any kind of judgment on the genuineness of any anti-war message that Gundam may or may not have. I simply wanted to point out that the idea that an anti-war message can only be shown by people choosing not to fight is wrong. One can justify or even glorify the use of violence in a war (as well as the sacrifice that comes with it) while still being against the situation that brings about the need to use violence. In other words, a necessary evil is still evil.
Outlaw

I think it would be more apt to say that Gundam tends towards the "war is hell" message rather than being straight up anti war. To varying degrees depending on specific series of course.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
balofo

With the recent gunpla spoilers we have these factions:

-CGS
-Gjalhorn
-Teiwaz
-Brewers
Kuruni

balofo wrote:-Brewers
It's almost impossible, but I really wish they're what I think...

Nobody dare to mess with them, because they're source of booze.
Last edited by Kuruni on Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My girlfriend was a loli.
monster

Kuruni wrote:
balofo wrote:-Brewers
It's almost impossible, but I really wish they're what I think...

Nobody dare to mess with them, because they're source of booze.
If we're going by the name itself, they could be related to tea or coffee instead. Or, a third alternative would be a union of several weak factions that over time formed one strong entity.
Kuruni

Right, but booze is still most fun to think about.

It's actually would be clever utilization of the setting. While it would be only mild problem on Earth, where can you find more yeast on Mars? (maybe they discover Martian yeast and find that it produce the greatest liquor...)
Wingnut

Well, I doubt they're baseball fans from Milwaukee.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
YokozunaBulldozer

According to the official site Ein Dalton is a young ensign while Crank Zent is a seasoned lieutenant.
Both are Gjallarhorn officers and pilot Grazes.
Ein Dalton is voiced by Uchida Yuuma who voiced Kousaka Yuuma in Gundam Build Fighters TRY.
Crank Zent is voiced by Mamiya Yasuhiro, a voice actor who apparently voiced Samuel L. Jackson's character in the Japanese dub of The Other Guys.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Gundam0089

So how do you all feel about the "Gundam" Gusion? Do you think a Gundam should really look like a Gundam, or is it all just a name?
LightningCount

Gundam0089 wrote:So how do you all feel about the "Gundam" Gusion? Do you think a Gundam should really look like a Gundam, or is it all just a name?
Interesting question. I think it partially depends upon the "universe." Turn-A really flipped the manual, after all. Since this is AU, I think there is more room for interpretation, so long as there is "some" reference. We have to remember that these AUs are defining Gundam for themselves; presumably, they should have no knowledge of what a "Gundam" should be. In the case of the Gunsion, it still has an abstract V-fin if you look closely, the classic skirt pieces more or less, and it has the sunken-in, angular yellow eyes that go back as far as the original Gundam from 0079. We've had bulky Gundams before with some level of abstraction, whether it be the 00's Virtue or the GP2 from 0083. Plus, we do not know if what we are seeing of Gunsion is a shell of extra armor.

All of that said...I will say if you didn't put the name "Gundam" on it, then a Gundam would not come to mind very quickly--maybe even never. I'd probably say it has more in common with the UNE's single-production MS from Gundam X or something. I do like the design, though. The mechanical design from top to bottom is very good, but I ironically find the title Gundam to be the most boring.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Gundam0089

To me, a Gundam is largely a visual presence. They've all had the same type of design features over the years. I don't want to sound like one of those types of fans, but I feel the name and the look are largely intertwined and shouldn't be messed with too much. It doesn't have to be the same old RX-78 redo everytime, but as long as it carries several features.

Gundam Kimaris for example, I see that as a good design that adds new elements, while still keeping the recognizable Gundam presence.
Amion

I don't know, the going theme this time around is that a Gundam frame being used makes it a Gundam. So in this show it's probably going to be a literal mechanical classification.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Arbiter GUNDAM

On the one had, I've felt that Gundams have been getting less... unique? Special? in recent years (especially in Cosmic Era; you can't move without bumping into a bloody Gundam!) Somewhat the same in Build Fighters but I digress.

On the other hand, coming up with some new mecha design and calling it a Gundam seems... suspect.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Kuruni

Maybe they take a hint from Ishinomori Pro about how Rider doesn't alway look like traditional Rider.

Well, we also have Gundam G-Lucifer from G-Reco, even if it doesn't call so in series.
Vent Noir

To be honest, while I'll give it a shot, as far as mecha shows go, I'm far more interested in Macross Delta, Heavy Object and especially the new season of Fafner: Exodus than this. The only thing that's really caught my interest so far is the fact that it's by the directer of A Certain Scientific Railgun, although really that makes me want to see a third season of Railgun instead.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Destiny_Gundam

If any of you haven't encountered Mari Okada before, here's a pretty good primer on her particular style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5s66kiOSUM
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Amion

Read this somewhere back when we learned shew as going to be the main writer. I guess this is a real case of needing to see it to form an opinion. Always a wise choice, that, so no worries.

Aren't we getting someone for the action scenes? Obari? Isn't he on-board as well?
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Amion wrote:Read this somewhere back when we learned shew as going to be the main writer. I guess this is a real case of needing to see it to form an opinion. Always a wise choice, that, so no worries.

Aren't we getting someone for the action scenes? Obari? Isn't he on-board as well?
Yeah but he's probably only going to be doing certain scenes.

As for Mari Okada... her shows tend to leave people with strong opinions eh? [sarcasm]oh boy, that's exactly what we need in a Gundam show.[/sarcasm]
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion