The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
latenlazy

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Chris wrote:
latenlazy wrote:I have to wonder if they're introducing too many characters to give them proper development and screen time. Also, sometimes when a story works too hard to introduce that many setting pieces and premises, it suggests that the writing will be heavy handed. This could still go either way (action choreography seems great though, much more real robot like Gundam 00).
What gives you the impression any of this will be the case? Most of these orphan kids will probably just background characters or get killed. The base premise doesn't sound any more convoluted than a typical Gundam series, and I don't see anything (so far) to suggest heavy-handed writing.
Might be the number of characters doing dramatic over-stylized poses and the fact that the setting tries to set up a lot of tension points and conflicts rather than let the story build up to it. Not an opinion to hang one's hat on by any means of course, but it was my personal impression.
Amion

Deacon Blues wrote:Episode 14 is tentatively titled "The Ship that Carries Hope". I'm wondering if it takes that long for them to get off the planet... 0_o;
The longer they stay on Mars the better. I am, for the first time in 30 years of Gundam, getting a series that's focusing on another planet rather than Earth and its internal squabbles. Despite that the EFC (Earth Forces of Corruption) are at it again this time, at least I get a vista of terraformed homesteads on the Red Planet's dusty surface. And I'll keep my terraformed homesteads, thanks. IO will probably end up on Earth somehow, following Gundam tradition. If it doesn't then it means we actually are getting a first in the franchise.

So let me dream! :P
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Arbiter GUNDAM

I'm with Amion; the longer on Mars, the better.

That said, I think it's pretty obvious they're pulling a Wing with the characters in this show. :D
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Destiny_Gundam

So the blonde enemy ace is voiced by Sakurai. Given the recent trend of his roles you can be sure he'll turn into a raging butt hurt psycho at some point.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Mythgarr

Pulling a wing on these days and age will seen as baffled by the younger ones. Wing was made as grandeur and as pretentious as possible. Based on the premise of G-Tekketsu, you have something that looks to be grounded and serious, and you're showing almost invincible pilots doing cool non-sensible poses while being obnoxiusly brooding? It'll be head-scratchingly baffling.
Visit The Dreams
Arbiter GUNDAM

Mythgarr wrote:Pulling a wing on these days and age will seen as baffled by the younger ones. Wing was made as grandeur and as pretentious as possible. Based on the premise of G-Tekketsu, you have something that looks to be grounded and serious, and you're showing almost invincible pilots doing cool non-sensible poses while being obnoxiusly brooding? It'll be head-scratchingly baffling.
Actually I meant more in the sense that they might be trying to draw in a number of female viewers with a cast that's almost all pretty-boys.... so far.

--Freyja Wion
YokozunaBulldozer

Destiny_Gundam wrote:So the blonde enemy ace is voiced by Sakurai. Given the recent trend of his roles you can be sure he'll turn into a raging butt hurt psycho at some point.
I have the feeling Gaelio will be the Goose to his Maverick considering your speculation to a certain extent.
Or heck, would be fun to see him turn out to be the Char to his Garma.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Wellman

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:
Mythgarr wrote:Pulling a wing on these days and age will seen as baffled by the younger ones. Wing was made as grandeur and as pretentious as possible. Based on the premise of G-Tekketsu, you have something that looks to be grounded and serious, and you're showing almost invincible pilots doing cool non-sensible poses while being obnoxiusly brooding? It'll be head-scratchingly baffling.
Actually I meant more in the sense that they might be trying to draw in a number of female viewers with a cast that's almost all pretty-boys.... so far.
But a high number of pretty boys have been standard in most Gundam shows since the mid 90s anyway.
Deacon Blues

Episode.01 is titled "Iron and Blood".
Zeonista

latenlazy wrote:I have to wonder if they're introducing too many characters to give them proper development and screen time. Also, sometimes when a story works too hard to introduce that many setting pieces and premises, it suggests that the writing will be heavy handed. This could still go either way (action choreography seems great though, much more real robot like Gundam 00).
Cast of dozens is a Gundam trademark since the original. Not everyone is really going to get spotlight time, but then again the supporting cast close to the main set will have names and personalities. And Gundam is also well known for cheerfully trimming the cast list at times. ;)

Edit: I agree with Amion, the story can stay on Mars for a while and let the story and basic team dynamic get established. Then they can head off to Earth and their eventual disappointment.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
battletech

So Iron Blooded Orphans is tied at number seven amongst men for most Anticipated Fall 2015 Anime in a poll. Women didn't give a crap. I guess all those shirtless boys didn't help. http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... 2015-anime
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
Zeonista

battletech wrote:So Iron Blooded Orphans is tied at number seven amongst men for most Anticipated Fall 2015 Anime in a poll. Women didn't give a crap. I guess all those shirtless boys didn't help. http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... 2015-anime
Given the fan disappointment with the last dramatic offerings, I can understand if the enthusiasm is not overwhelming here. It's a sad comedown from the days when a new Gundam series really got the fandom excited. But Sunrise will get the ad blitz started soon, and the merch to follow thereafter. And it does look interesting and a little fresh for a Gundam series.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

battletech wrote:So Iron Blooded Orphans is tied at number seven amongst men for most Anticipated Fall 2015 Anime in a poll. Women didn't give a crap. I guess all those shirtless boys didn't help. http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... 2015-anime
Well, we are looking forward to more Haikyu!!! so at least we have our priorities straight ;) Joking aside, I had no idea that this new Gundam series was coming in October until today. Doesn't mean I am not interested, just more things stand out to me right now. Although does Sunrise often announce a Gundam series this close to October? I know the news has been out for a while, but compared to the announcements of the other fall shows I am curious if this is a common thing for Sunrise to be one of the last to annouce? Was this later then the last few Gundam announcements or have I just forgotten when the last few revealed?
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Dendrobium Stamen

If I'm perfectly honest, none of the pre-release material for Iron-Blooded Orphans has convinced me that I should be watching it, come October time - and it seems Japanese fans may be in the same boat.

Then again, neither AGE nor Reconguista in G gripped me at all - aside from keeping up with the sporadic output of Unicorn, the last Gundam series I watched from beginning to end was 00, thinking about it. In all honesty, "because it's a Gundam show" isn't enough of a reason for me to invest the time and effort any more - it has to be a good Gundam show.

Still, as with the most recent series, I'll give Iron-Blooded Orphans a couple of episodes to decide whether I want to progress or not; who knows, it may well be amazing.
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
Arbiter GUNDAM

I very much hope that it is amazing, considering what the last two dramatic series had to offer.

--Freyja Wion
Amion

And so, as the due date steadily approaches, our forum ultrasounds are actively at work panning out for the potential defects in Bandai's latest infant money cow attempt, before its inevitable inception into our world, for better or worse.

So, shall we start counting all the possible things that can go wrong with this, just to follow good old internet tradition?*Evil grin*
ShadowCell

i wonder if the "meh" reaction in Japan is more "this doesn't look interesting to me" or more "i'm getting kinda tired of Gundam"...?
Amion

One kinda leads into the other, maybe? If they're getting tired of Gundam, it could be that at this point it no longer really matters what kind of AU they create, whether it's a masterpiece or a failure.

And not liking another Gundam series after a series of bad experiences may also leed into people getting tired of Gundam...
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Amion wrote:One kinda leads into the other, maybe? If they're getting tired of Gundam, it could be that at this point it no longer really matters what kind of AU they create, whether it's a masterpiece or a failure.

And not liking another Gundam series after a series of bad experiences may also leed into people getting tired of Gundam...
I think it has more to due with the volume Sunrise is producing.

Maybe if they took a break from Gundam (essentially pull a Macross) more average anime fans might be interested in what it has to offer. But with a new Gundam series every couple of years, mixed with the bad reception of Age, the confused reaction to everyone NOT a Gundam fan from GBF and GBFT, and lastly from the wholly "your mileage my vary" reaction to Gundam Reconquista, there hasn't been a Gundam series since 00 S1 that the average fan (who has little experience with Gundam/mecha shows in general) have been able to get into (without massive negative backlash like Age).

Personally, after talking at conventions to see how average anime fans feel about Gundam many have an attitude that it "simply isn't made for me anymore." They don't feel that there is anything they can watch without knowing extensive background information. Judging by how Seed/00 is looked down upon by "hardcore" fans, I don't blame them by feeling put off.

Maybe that is just sample bias and I fully accept that I could be talking to the wrong people; but I have not seen a lot of excitement regarding this show by regular anime fans... Hoping this new series will be a dark horse! I would like to see this Gundam series get a lot of love!
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Amion

Well, I think Shadowcell and me were referring to the Japanese fans in particular. They're a bit different, surely, what with Gundam's place in culture. How different from the fan's you've talked to, now that's not so clear. Like with the up coming Star Wars episode, people actually take notice in Japan. Or at least, they used to. Obviously, like you said, there's a disconnect happening.

I do believe we got some info during AGE's run about how the new generation of kids in Japan really don't like or appreciate space opera or sci-fi, or something along those lines. It's like you said, Soma, Gundam isn't being made for the average fan anymore. 00 S2 was basically traditional fare forced into the story when Bandai got skittish about something different and outside the standard formula. The last few series seem to be an effort to experiment, with mixed results. Fans hated AGE, for good reason, you've mentioned the BTF reactions about right, and Reconguista appealed only to a small demographic, and even they and the creator can admit it could have been much, much better. Now we've got...whatever we've yet to classify Tekketsu as being.

That said, a good, long break would indeed be a solution. But then again, the show that picks up the dropped torch would NEED to be an awesome, spectacular show. One that's proven to attract an audience... otherwise, Gundam might fall and never rise again. Perhaps they do plan such a thing, and Tekketsu is their last experimentation before shutting themselves up the lab to figure out what works.

On the note of about what works: they keep trying to reach a certain demographic of new fans by using formulas or different uses of the same or similar material, ignoring that the original MSG was created simply to tell its story, target audience be colony dropped. Perhaps its time they focused on that again. But of course, this is Bandai. Such a thing, 'tis impossible. :P