The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Amion

Re: The Official G-Tekketsu Anime Thread Mk I

Dark Duel wrote:
Vent Noir wrote:Well, they started making bishonen protagonists to draw in the female audience, right? I think male viewers would probably be more suppourtive of a female lead than many studio execs give them credit for.
You can say that again. I can think of an example - albeit on this side of the pond - in which studio execs were very reluctant to move forward with (and actually suspended production of) an animated series because its protagonist was a girl, due to so-called conventional wisdom that said "girls will watch shows about boys, but boys won't watch shows about girls".
Well, they were wrong, and male test audiences reacted very favorably to the character, who not only is a girl, but does not fall into most of the typical stereotypes generally associated with female characters in animated works. (I refer, for the curious, to The Legend of Korra)
In the interest of objectivity I will point out that during test screenings, the protagonist's gender didn't actually matter to the aforementioned audience - they just said she was awesome. Which she was.

So as long as the character is well-developed and not too stereotyped, I don't see a problem with a female lead in Gundam. In fact, I would love to see that.
Unfortunately, execs like to listen to those conventional wisdoms they were forced to memorize, and will never deviate from said wisdom and reject anything that refutes that as a fluke.

And as for the other side of the pond. Heh. I could start laughing. Because it won't be happening no matter how hard we all wish.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Mythgarr

balofo wrote:Unconfirmed:

Character design: Michinori CHIBA
OP: BACKON
OST: AVEX
Backon is on a roll :)
I like GBF first OP, but not the second one.
Visit The Dreams
Kuruni

Maybe it's just my bad impression on feminist, but I have feeling that even if the female protagonist is one of the most ass-kicking pilots in Gundam history, those "certain people" will still cry foul if she has girly side off-duty (say, really good at housework) and happy about it (be proud of how the family are good because of it).
My girlfriend was a loli.
latenlazy

Dark Duel wrote:
Vent Noir wrote:Well, they started making bishonen protagonists to draw in the female audience, right? I think male viewers would probably be more suppourtive of a female lead than many studio execs give them credit for.
You can say that again. I can think of an example - albeit on this side of the pond - in which studio execs were very reluctant to move forward with (and actually suspended production of) an animated series because its protagonist was a girl, due to so-called conventional wisdom that said "girls will watch shows about boys, but boys won't watch shows about girls".
Well, they were wrong, and male test audiences reacted very favorably to the character, who not only is a girl, but does not fall into most of the typical stereotypes generally associated with female characters in animated works. (I refer, for the curious, to The Legend of Korra)
In the interest of objectivity I will point out that during test screenings, the protagonist's gender didn't actually matter to the aforementioned audience - they just said she was awesome. Which she was.

So as long as the character is well-developed and not too stereotyped, I don't see a problem with a female lead in Gundam. In fact, I would love to see that.
Japan is not the US.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Kuruni wrote:Maybe it's just my bad impression on feminist, but I have feeling that even if the female protagonist is one of the most ass-kicking pilots in Gundam history, those "certain people" will still cry foul if she has girly side off-duty (say, really good at housework) and happy about it (be proud of how the family are good because of it).
Eh, maybe? But just because there are a few people who speak VERY LOUDLY about certain things and aren't happy no matter what happens, does not mean an entire group is bad. Nor should you have a bad impression because a few less then positive "interactions(?)." Its like me getting to Florence and after a few interactions with Italians, assume they are pushy, womanizing, people because of first impressions.

And on the flip side, I am sure there will be people who would be very angry about a female protagonist in Gundam. Claiming that Gundam is ruined...(because, you know, with every new Gundam series the entire franchise is ruined) and that it has become a "girly" series. Because of that, I am almost happy we will never get a female lead, because I do not want to see comments on the internet talking about that. My faith in humanity can only be destroyed so many times...

Plus this is anime, there will always be people who are VERY and UNREASONABLY upset about something, no need to single out a specific group for a completely hypothetical situation that will probably never happen.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Chris
Administrator

Not that there's much of a topic to begin with here because it's all speculation, but let's not veer too far off course with this. Every time there's a new Gundam series this topic comes up of a female lead, but Japan being Japan is not likely to do this. If you all want to discuss this specific issue in-depth, make it its own thread.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Kyuzo Aoi

Back to topic.

I checked again the site, and the skirt part is partially shown. I sense a 00 influence there.
I am a Gundam!
sdwoodchuck

balofo wrote:The inspiration might be this https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tekketsu_Kinn%C5%8Dtai

Japanese Army division made of children used in WWII, most of them died
I was going to point out exactly this. I'd be very surprised if that isn't the inspiration for the title, given that Tekketsu Kinnotai was a unit made up of middle/high school aged children, and Gundam frequently leans on the theme of children used in warfare. All things considered, I think we can also expect it to be pretty dark, if that's where it's drawing inspiration.
YokozunaBulldozer

sdwoodchuck wrote:
balofo wrote:The inspiration might be this https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tekketsu_Kinn%C5%8Dtai

Japanese Army division made of children used in WWII, most of them died
I was going to point out exactly this. I'd be very surprised if that isn't the inspiration for the title, given that Tekketsu Kinnotai was a unit made up of middle/high school aged children, and Gundam frequently leans on the theme of children used in warfare. All things considered, I think we can also expect it to be pretty dark, if that's where it's drawing inspiration.
Or hints of Ender's Game perhaps?
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Henyo

if we ain't going to get a female MC than at least a female Captain on the same level as Bright Noa. add in a bit of Jamil for good measure.(this is also something i'm hoping for the Macross Delta.)

how about a 14th Gundam Fight with female MC? :twisted:
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Kuruni

Maybe they decide to pick after gay marriage trend and give Takakazu Abe-like MC, complete with iconic scene which him unzip the normal suit and reveal that he doesn't wear anything underneath.
laj12387

Kuruni wrote:Maybe they decide to pick after gay marriage trend and give Takakazu Abe-like MC, complete with iconic scene which him unzip the normal suit and reveal that he doesn't wear anything underneath.
Being a gay man myself I'd love to see a gay MS pilot maybe not a main character but as a supportng character that isn't very flamboyant. However the likeliness of that is very slim, from what I've heard Japan isn't very supportive of the LGBT community. And nothing like that would happen out side the yaoi/bara fandom most likely :(

OK, back on topic. From what I've seen of that MS I really like the rounded shoulders look it very refreshing from the boxy shoulders we normally get. Also I'm getting a strong zeta gundam vibe from it as well with the design.

If the whole WWII blood and iron thing is true as a influence I think it's a great idea for a darker story a war that dragged on to long with very little man power left so kids are forced to be recruited in to army and throghen in MSs against there will.
SaintEvolution

The design of this new Gundam reminds me a bit of Hyaku Shiki, a bit of Knight Gundam, a bit of Vegan Mobile Suits(from AGE) and a bit of Unicorn Gundam too.
RyuseiDateSRX

http://g-tekketsu.com/

Image updated. Loving the look so far. I really do wonder if that's the suit at an incomplete state. There's just some parts of it that seem to suggest that, like the waist.
Deus257

I wouldn't mind a dark grim series, showing the true horrors of war, especially with a female lead who starts off happy and optimistic but as the series progresses and she encounters the hell of combat gets turned into mush and molded into a hardened warrior who has seen the worst of humanity through out the series and at the conclusion with the war over has trouble readjusting to a life of peace.
balofo

Info so far:
-Done by studio 3

Rumors:
-Director: Tatsuyuki NAGAI
-Screenplay: Mari Okada
-Mecha design: Ippei Gyobu and Naohiro Washio
-Character design: Michinori CHIBA
-VA: Mitsuaki Madono
RLZIII

Now some of the head is revealed. If this suit is under construction in this image, then obviously the final design won't likely be as strange. But if this image depicts the fully built mobile suit, we are going to have some strange Gunpla. I'd bet we'd see a lot of strange designs in this series if that's the case.

I have some high hopes for this series. Of course these are just hopes based on nothing but a slowly-revealing shaded image, but I am still holding on to hope.

I really want an awesome Gundam series like Gundam 00. Not like it in the sense that it should copy what Gundam 00 did, but like it in the sense that Gundam 00 was just an awesome series. Of course opinions vary, but Gundam 00 had some great designs, some unique story elements, cool characters, et cetera.

Gundam AGE wasn't, in my opinion, as bad as many made it out to be, but it still just didn't stand out very much to me having seen every Gundam series. Gundam BF and BF TRY were obviously very different kinds of series being based around Gunpla, even though they were cool in their own way. And while G-Reco was cool, albeit confusing as well, with great animation and some cool designs, it's not on the same level as some of the best series (perhaps because of how confusing it is).

We need another series like Gundam 00 where the mass majority of fans are really pleased with everything overall.

Perhaps G-Tekketsu is going to be that series. Or maybe it will be a steaming pile of crap. I'm sure we'll hear plenty of pre-mature options both ways when the reveal happens in less than 48 hours.
latenlazy

AGE had a solid first arc, a hit and miss second arc, and an awful third arc with some good moments. What stood out most was its lack of focus and consistency. That's what turned promising setups into cardboard cutouts.
Strike Zero

The face has been revealed. If it doesn't appear, try refreshing your browser

http://g-tekketsu.com/

Pretty slick.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Kuruni

It seem to wear "mask" like Sengoku Astray.