Yuri and Yaoi

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Henyo

Yuri and Yaoi

with this news:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_ ... ted_States

i feel that its a good time as any to discuss about these two genres.
there has been a marked increase in yuri and Yaoi animes over the past few seasons.

what's your standing on Yuri and Yaoi?

edit:i reread the rules. and am having the feeling that this topic might violate them. but, since this is about animes with those themes..so yeah.
Last edited by Henyo on Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
ShadowCell

Re: Yuri and Yaoi

uh

wtf? is this supposed to, like, be controversial or something
Henyo

ShadowCell wrote:uh

well, i was afraid it might snowball into..trouble. but hey since one reated in a neutral way. i'll go on ahead. :D

i'm mainly on the yuri side, but i'm slowly developing a very small preference for some guy couples. at the moment i fully support Shion and Nezumi from No.6.
Strike Zero

ShadowCell wrote:uh

He brings up the supreme court decision, then directly relates it to yuri and yaoi. There is no way he is not asking for trouble.

Yeah, this thread should be burned, pronto.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Destiny_Gundam

So long as people aren't stupid this thread should be fine. Just keep things focused on the genres of anime rather than the real life goings-on.

I have nothing against same-sex couples, but I'm not much of a fan of yuri or yaoi. I like yuri less, but that's probably mostly to do with how nasty sections of the yuri fandom can get.

Last (actual) yuri show I watched was Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san, and I did enjoy it, mostly because it had a great straight man (the comedy term, not a hetersexual male).

Shows these days will mostly use half hearted yuri teases, which I'm not fond of either. If they're going to include stuff like that they should at least treat it seriously.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Brave Fencer Kirby

Yaoi and yuri tend to annoy me for the same reason other fanservice annoys me: it's often used in place of actual worthwhile content, instead of in addition to it.

It's worth noting that both yaoi and yuri are basically made for straight people. Yaoi in particular is aimed primarily at straight women -- which is why it features handsome adyrogenous prettyboys whose relationship work almost exactly like heterosexual ones (ie, one being "the man" in the relationship). There's actually an entirely separate term (bara) for stuff whose intended audience is gay men. Yuri seems to have broader appeal than yaoi. Straight women tend to like it because it's typically more romance-oriented (not unlike yaoi in that respect, actually), and straight men tend to like it because "lesbians are hot", in a nutshell. If there's a yuri equivalent to bara I'm not aware of it, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was.

So yeah. Yaoi and yuri have very, very little to do with actual LGBT people and/or social issues.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
Henyo

Destiny_Gundam wrote:So long as people aren't stupid this thread should be fine. Just keep things focused on the genres of anime rather than the real life goings-on.

I have nothing against same-sex couples, but I'm not much of a fan of yuri or yaoi. I like yuri less, but that's probably mostly to do with how nasty sections of the yuri fandom can get.

Last (actual) yuri show I watched was Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san, and I did enjoy it, mostly because it had a great straight man (the comedy term, not a hetersexual male).

Shows these days will mostly use half hearted yuri teases, which I'm not fond of either. If they're going to include stuff like that they should at least treat it seriously.
i thought this thread has been locked..i worried too much huh? oh well.

on the last part of your post, i can state one such series: Hibike Euphonium. especially the anime version.(episode 11 must be seen.)

can anyone recommend a worthhwile yaoi title? somewhere around the levels of Sasameki Koto.
is Loveless good? i'd like to try it because of the artist.(origina Gundam OO character designer. :twisted: )
Destiny_Gundam

Henyo wrote:on the last part of your post, i can state one such series: Hibike Euphonium. especially the anime version.(episode 11 must be seen.)
Yeah, there's that. A lot of people still claim that yuri is the only possible interpretation for those scenes, but I don't agree. Relationships are as unique as the people involved so it's foolish to always try to shoehorn them into certain categories.
Henyo wrote:can anyone recommend a worthhwile yaoi title? somewhere around the levels of Sasameki Koto.
is Loveless good? i'd like to try it because of the artist.(origina Gundam OO character designer. :twisted: )
I really enjoyed Loveless so I'd recommend it. Kyo Kara Mao and Yami no Matsuei (Descendants of Darkness) are also really good, though those are more teasy than outright yaoi.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Henyo wrote:on the last part of your post, i can state one such series: Hibike Euphonium. especially the anime version.(episode 11 must be seen.)
Yeah, there's that. A lot of people still claim that yuri is the only possible interpretation for those scenes, but I don't agree. Relationships are as unique as the people involved so it's foolish to always try to shoehorn them into certain categories.
Henyo wrote:can anyone recommend a worthhwile yaoi title? somewhere around the levels of Sasameki Koto.
I really enjoyed Loveless so I'd recommend it. Kyo Kara Mao and Yami no Matsuei (Descendants of Darkness) are also really good, though those are more teasy than outright yaoi.
Yeah, unfortunately, a lot of anime can't seem to have any sort of closer, much less physical situations/relationships occur between people (straight or otherwise) to take place without a chunk of the fandom screaming "ROMANCE!!!!!", "YURI/YAOI!!!!", "PAIRING CONFIRMED!!!" and so on, even completely ignoring any other words/actions/signs to the contrary; Hibike! Euphonium being such a recent example. As Destiny mentions, a number of people seem to only be able to look at such scenes as ranging from "yuri-bait" to full on "yuri", but nothing else.

If anyone suggests that it could simply a close friendship, they get treated like they have some sort of mental illness.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Strike Zero

I just wanted to chime in and point out that not all yuri/yaoi fans are completely deranged. I consider myself a fan of the genre, and I enjoy picking out subtext, but I've learned over the years to be sensitive towards people who opt not to see things my way.

Take the Hibike! Euphonium example. I love Kumiko/Reina, and I love all of the subtext that comes with it, but I don't have a problem with people who don't subscribe to it, because the show isn't even about romance to begin with. The same goes for any other shows with subtext that aren't explicitly a part of the genre.

Of course, just like how it irritates you guys when yuri/yaoi fans tell others off for not shipping their ships, I find it just as annoying when non-yuri/yaoi shippers tell them stop doing what they're do because they're "wrong" or "delusional" or any other number of such disparaging labels. Bottom line, the whole point of shipping is to have fun, and it's disheartening when people get down on each other for it, no matter which side it comes from.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Henyo

Strike Zero wrote:I just wanted to chime in and point out that not all yuri/yaoi fans are completely deranged. I consider myself a fan of the genre, and I enjoy picking out subtext, but I've learned over the years to be sensitive towards people who opt not to see things my way.

Take the Hibike! Euphonium example. I love Kumiko/Reina, and I love all of the subtext that comes with it, but I don't have a problem with people who don't subscribe to it, because the show isn't even about romance to begin with. The same goes for any other shows with subtext that aren't explicitly a part of the genre.

Of course, just like how it irritates you guys when yuri/yaoi fans tell others off for not shipping their ships, I find it just as annoying when non-yuri/yaoi shippers tell them stop doing what they're do because they're "wrong" or "delusional" or any other number of such disparaging labels. Bottom line, the whole point of shipping is to have fun, and it's disheartening when people get down on each other for it, no matter which side it comes from.
yeah. as good o'l Optimus Prime would say:
Freedom is the right of all sentient beings
let's not forget respect people!
going back to the discussion has anyone here watched the older entries? like from the 90s and earlier?
Oniisama e and the other works of the author of Terra e. Terra e itself is chokefull of yaoi with the right goggle settings.

how about mangas? the only Yuri Mangas i've finished are Kashimashi, Iono-sama and Sasameki Koto. i've got all five volumes of the first mentioned actually. and have watched the anime version 2 times. :twisted:
SonicSP

I read a yuri manga called Prism recently about two girls rekindling an old romance from grade school. Back then one of them was a tomboy so the other didn't even know she was a girl until the met again in high school after going their seperate ways in middle school (said tomboy is also the prettiest girl in school now so that was a real shock to the other one - because she always thought she was a boy all this time)

It was kinda sweet and felt very natural in my opinion. There aren't many chapters before the manga was cancelled in 2012 because the author got caught copying some of the drawing he made directly from other people's photographs. Officially it's "on hiatus" but really it's not coming back given the publishers cut ties with the author.

But whatever little I read was pretty good. It focussed more on the relationship rather than fanservice parts. I personally do not know of much yuri that is like this so it was a good read to me - even if it was incomplete.

They were even some interesting aspects of the story such as one of the girl's sister finding out and even one time where some random straight people hollared some verbal abuse at them in public. I assume some of these are real issues that can face LGBT couples.

It's a damn shame what happened with this manga though because I thought it was good. I wish I can find something similar in the genre somewhere else. Not that I don't enjoy the more traditional fanservice-ish stuff either, but those are more common and I like both types of yuri personally.
Gundam420

Octave is a good yuri manga. It was completed not too long ago, and is somewhat similar to Prism.
PSN: (Japan Account) gundaminator
Destiny_Gundam

When it comes to manga you'll find a ton of yuri titles focused on the actual relationship aspect, especially if it's shoujo or josei. You see it less in anime because that sort of work is still pretty niche and they just don't sell very well.
SonicSP

Destiny_Gundam wrote:When it comes to manga you'll find a ton of yuri titles focused on the actual relationship aspect, especially if it's shoujo or josei. You see it less in anime because that sort of work is still pretty niche and they just don't sell very well.
You have any suggestions? I'm sort of looking for those.
Henyo

http://okazu.blogspot.com/

my main source of Yuri news and reviews. you might find some titles worth your time here. :D
try Sasameki koto. for one thing its set in a co-ed school. and the main couple is the tall girl(who's practices karate) and the girl who likes cute girls. oh and the latter doesn't hide her preferences.

if you like can read tagalog.(or have the patience to translate it through whatever translator in the net.) try World Canvas.
Destiny_Gundam

SonicSP wrote:You have any suggestions? I'm sort of looking for those.
I can't really give you any since it's not a genre I seek out. If you're the type that only gets legit releases, I often see a manga called Girl Friends on store shelfs.

Otherwise, most 'methods' sites lets you filter by genre.
SonicSP

Thanks for the suggestions. Just looking for any good suff on the genre that people may personally know or like. I haven't really seeked it much either, though I do run into some once in awhile. Perhaps it's time to explore more of it.
Henyo

Gakuen Polizi, from the same Author of Girl Friends is also legally available in english.(by seven seas entertainment.)

the latter is a good read. less on the fanservice and on the actual hardships the relationship brings.
of note though, it features a lot of conversations about beauty products.
Android raptor

I had my yaoi phase as a dumb kid (there are people here who witnessed it firsthand, trust me when I say it was awful for every one) but with maturity I've since lost interest and actually gained a lot of disgust for the genre and fandom. The yaoi genre, as defined by male/male stories written by and for women, suffers from massive amounts of glorification of abusive relationships and even pedophilia amongst many other unsavoury things. The dedicated fandom also leaves much to be desired (even the most misogynistic of gamers pales in comparison to the misogyny I've seen yaoi fans partake in). For the most part, yaoi isn't a great place to look for good stories featuring m/m relationships and certainly shouldn't be seen as anything close to reality (and in many ways is actually extremely demeaning and offensive to queer men).

From my experience yuri is a bit better, probably due authorship being more diverse (many yuri authors are actually women and yuri is a huge shoujo mainstay). However, its less common in fandom especially and what exists often isn't too my tastes (never been big on slice of life or schoolgirl).

Finding stories with same-sex couples is important to me as a queer person, however I personally prefer to seek out individual things I hear are good or content of specific pairings I like (if possible).
Let me show you my Pokemons!
Liking characters no one else does since 1989.