Turn-A Gundam getting a US DVD release!

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
WreckFlair

Re: Turn-A Gundam getting a US DVD release!

Quiddity wrote:DVD art is quite nice and appears to be original art from designer(s) on the show. Type of art that is usually on the Japanese releases and may have been in this case. 6 discs, with 4 episodes each except for the last one.
If you get a chance, can you throw up some pictures of the art?
Quiddity

MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.
WreckFlair

Looks pretty awesome. Thank you!
MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot

*Im not removing this signature until ZZ Gundam gets dubbed and is released in America*

Started on October 14,2007
zetatype

Well hot damn. I had no idea rightstuf was shipping Part 1 early. Just checked my order status and it looks like I'll be getting it tomorrow, AWESOME!
Wow, you know for a release that is only DVD and not dubbed, the artwork is pretty damn good.
Chris
Administrator

zetatype wrote:Wow, you know for a release that is only DVD and not dubbed, the artwork is pretty damn good.
What does being DVD only and not dubbed have to do with the quality of the artwork?
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Destiny_Gundam

Because a sub only dvd release is usually considered to be a cheapo release with minimal effort put into it. So it could be surprising to see they cared enough to use good artwork.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Ziryab

*stares at clock, stares at new DVD, stares at clock*

Is it the weekend yet?
Hmm. Luke, this Gundam reminds me of a puzzle.

Steam ID: MediumPunch
3DS FC: 0189 9106 6003
Deacon Blues

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Because a sub only dvd release is usually considered to be a cheapo release with minimal effort put into it. So it could be surprising to see they cared enough to use good artwork.
You are aware that they're very limited with what they can use in terms of design for that stuff, right? Mirroring the Japanese style would have required yet more licensing fees for other artwork and what not. That's why so many of the American DVD releases for some anime was just downright terrible.

Then again, the graphic designer who did most of Bandai's titles was the same person... and I despised those releases. Made me wondering if Bandai was intentionally cost cutting that side of things. When you compared it to releases by Funi, ADV, etc, they just couldn't hold a candle.

*hugs DVDs with designs by Nightjar*

So good... :lol:
Deathzealot

Oh Wow. I am thinking I am going to be using Rightstuf again for they just called me personally to say that they are going to be trying to charge me again for my order on Tuesday Morning. I don't think I ever had another company do that, send me an email about it, but not calling me. Wow.
Deacon Blues

Yeah, I had a voicemail from them for the Origin when it shipped because my bank didn't recognize the retail as being legit and bounced it back to them.
Deathzealot

And it wasn't automated which was...nice?
MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot

Today my copy came in! The quality of the cover art and discs are amazing. Can't wait till ZZ Gundam gets that treatment.

Getting a closer look of the back cover it actually says Rightstuf on it right next to Sunrise. Seriously I hope Rightstuf helps bring more Gundam series to us (besides the ones already planned).
*Im not removing this signature until ZZ Gundam gets dubbed and is released in America*

Started on October 14,2007
Darkerangel

I just got my copy too. However, probably won't be watching it till later. I want to do a Gundam Marathon again.

So what we need next after Part 2? ZZ, V, and X? Right?
Mobile Suit Gundam Rebirth A rogue space team called U-FEA is in search for the Beacon of Hope for the future of humanity. They will have to use the blueprints of the Mobile Weapons before them as part of their arsenal to take down the Xen-Dominion.
LightningCount

The posted DVD images look gorgeous. But just so everyone knows, Rightstuf.com is seriously a legit business. It's been around as a retailer since the late 80s, and was one of the official ways early fans of anime in the US got their anime. I remember first hearing about them/seeing one of their print catalogues sometime in the mid-90s. The company is made up of passionate fans with a commitment to quality customer service. They've always gone out of their way when I've dealt with them. And they have done a really good job since they entered the licensing/partnership realm, too. I don't have their Gundam releases (yet), but all of the stuff I've seen previously from their releases has been top-notch. They try to get the best video source masters they can. I am really hoping for a successful result from all this. I would love to see Gundam X get this kind of treatment!
Darkerangel wrote:I just got my copy too. However, probably won't be watching it till later. I want to do a Gundam Marathon again.

Yes, but what about Gundam SEED C.E. 73: Stargazer? It's small, but it would be nice to see it released after those sometime.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
InjuredPelican

Darkerangel wrote:I just got my copy too. However, probably won't be watching it till later. I want to do a Gundam Marathon again.

ZZ would be very nice to have since the host on youtube pulled those episodes.
"And so I fight for the Moonrace. However, I am also fighting for the Earthrace! I fight against anyone who does not cherish their people's lives! No matter who they are, I will fight against them!"
-Loran Cehack
Deathzealot

Sorry to nerco this thread but I just finished watching this first half of the series and let me say for a person who only has seen tiny tidbits of the series here and there that is quite interesting. For those who haven't watched their DVDs yet I put my thoughts on the series in spoiler tags.
Spoiler
It is quite an interesting story and setting, and I can really see some influences that G-Reco sported. I really like this story then the tired old Colonies VS Earth stories. It adds some life into the franchise that makes watching the series quite a pleasure.

However, the Mecha Designs, (GAH!) are something I flinch over everytime I see them. Granted there are a few jewels in the lot, the Zaku Clone, but the majority are just bad. I just cannot believe they choose to use an amphibious mobile suit for the first main mook mobile suit for the Earth Faction. There were plenty others they could have used but they went with a lesser known amphibious unit. The rest of the units, mainly those that fall under the Moonrace are just look plain weird in my mind. The only one I actually seem to like is the WaD just because it looks cool.

Also why in the world did they shrink the Gallop so much? There should have no problem with Sochie's Kapool able to be carried by the Gallop in its hanger. Instead of sitting half in the hatch like it was during a few episodes. Granted I can see the Gallop having trouble carrying the vastly taller Turn-A which is what twenty meters tall where any other mobile suit it had carried in the past around 17 to 18 meters tall. I saw no real purpose to have a shrunk Gallop like that beside having it be a glorified support unit for the Turn-A. Also did anyone notice that that it got is damaged machine gun turret repaired/replace between Episode 24 and 25??
Anyways, rant done, now I would like to mention I really hope the second DVD set ships early again for now I am on the edge of my seat for the next half of the series where we get to the major space arc.
iguanaman8989

Well, part 2 got an early release. Didn't get a shipping notice or anything either that I noticed, other than the charge on my card.
Was a nice surprise when I got home today.
Deathzealot

iguanaman8989 wrote:Well, part 2 got an early release. Didn't get a shipping notice or anything either that I noticed, other than the charge on my card.
What?! I haven't got anything like that from them yet. Lucky SOB....
zetatype

iguanaman8989 wrote:Well, part 2 got an early release. Didn't get a shipping notice or anything either that I noticed, other than the charge on my card.
Well that explains why I'm missing $40 from my account. Looks like I'll be getting my copy on friday.

I really need to check my inbox more often.