The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
balofo

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

If people want to have different topics for fans and detractors of a series, then let's have Pro and Anti topics just like 2ch.

Mods please.
Blazer-X

Just watched the episode, so I figured I'd give my two cents (that no one will care about because its a wall of text).

First off, I have very mixed feelings about the fight. On the one hand, it was tactically beautiful. We finally got to see Gunpla Academy fight as a team instead of solo slaughtering their enemies. It really shows how they are not just 3 strong individuals, but 3 players that know how to properly support each other, which had been my biggest fear since day one. On Lucas's side, we got someone who is both a very strong player and a very good tactician. It's easy to see exactly why he's the European champ, especially if they play mostly 1v1.

I don't think they did a bad job showing him off either. He "took out" Shia using a brilliant strategy with a FAR INFERIOR part of his machine. Even when going up against both Adou and Wilfrid at the same time, he managed to neuter The End and hold off Transient. There isn't much doubt that he is at least BETTER than Adou and arguably better than even Wilfrid.

That said, there are some inconsistencies between how good he was hyped and how well he display his skills here. First of all, unlike the preview, Gunpla Academy wasn't losing. At no point in the battle did I seriously felt that Gunpla Academy was even at a serious disadvantage. Sure, its cool that Lucas "took out" Shia and "disabled" Adou, but then we have to remember that his teammates are practically nonexistent, so that was more of just him balancing the fight than him actually winning. Second, while he does feel stronger than any individual Gunpla Academy members, it wasn't nearly enough to face 3 of them at once. In many ways, the fight felt one-sided against Lucas. It almost feel like he was struggling at times (especially given the focus on him during the fight) to keep his charade up and fight off 3 very strong opponents. On the other hand, while both Adou and Shia were visibly surprised or scared, Wilfrid never lost his cool.

There were also a couple of plot points that really could have been approached better:

The plavsky particle rate was something that was introduced as early as the Nielsen Labs fight between Sekai and Wilfrid. In the tournament fights of Try Fighters, the idea of it being a limit was fleshed out somewhat more. That said, I think I am with everyone else when I call BS on the way they explained it this episode, especially with Gunpla Academy seemingly running on infinite energy while Crossbone FC having to recharge every few minutes. But that was something that could have been SO EASILY EXPLAINED that I found it slightly insulting they didn't bother:

We know that Crossbone FC is a small MS. We know that it uses up a lot of energy with its weaponry. All they had to do was tweak Wilfrid's line from "Where does the machine store such an amount of particles?" to "How does such A SMALL MACHINE store enough particles to constantly use all its weapon at full power?" and suddenly, it would at least be somewhat excusable.

Second, its obvious that Lucas thinks he is good enough to solo the other teams and that "he doesn't like to leave something so fun to others". That part of him that comes off almost as selfish. I would have much rather they made this a bigger part of his personality and had him been a powerful player whose downfall is that he only focuses on himself. Not in a Junya "you're all on your own" kind of way, but a "you're all here to support me, the ace of the team" kind of way. We see that somewhat in this episode, but I think it was a lost opportunity that they didn't bother to emphasize as an ideological battle between the 1-ace-2-support vs 3-ace setup.

All said and done, I think this was one of the better team battles in the series. One can only hope that the grand finale between Seiho and Gunpla Academy is going to be at least as team-oriented and not just "we all have a rival on the other team, lets make this 3v3 into three 1v1s".
gunform1010

Blazer-X wrote:Just watched the episode, so I figured I'd give my two cents (that no one will care about because its a wall of text).

First off, I have very mixed feelings about the fight. On the one hand, it was tactically beautiful. We finally got to see Gunpla Academy fight as a team instead of solo slaughtering their enemies. It really shows how they are not just 3 strong individuals, but 3 players that know how to properly support each other, which had been my biggest fear since day one. On Lucas's side, we got someone who is both a very strong player and a very good tactician. It's easy to see exactly why he's the European champ, especially if they play mostly 1v1.

I don't think they did a bad job showing him off either. He "took out" Shia using a brilliant strategy with a FAR INFERIOR part of his machine. Even when going up against both Adou and Wilfrid at the same time, he managed to neuter The End and hold off Transient. There isn't much doubt that he is at least BETTER than Adou and arguably better than even Wilfrid.

That said, there are some inconsistencies between how good he was hyped and how well he display his skills here. First of all, unlike the preview, Gunpla Academy wasn't losing. At no point in the battle did I seriously felt that Gunpla Academy was even at a serious disadvantage. Sure, its cool that Lucas "took out" Shia and "disabled" Adou, but then we have to remember that his teammates are practically nonexistent, so that was more of just him balancing the fight than him actually winning. Second, while he does feel stronger than any individual Gunpla Academy members, it wasn't nearly enough to face 3 of them at once. In many ways, the fight felt one-sided against Lucas. It almost feel like he was struggling at times (especially given the focus on him during the fight) to keep his charade up and fight off 3 very strong opponents. On the other hand, while both Adou and Shia were visibly surprised or scared, Wilfrid never lost his cool.

There were also a couple of plot points that really could have been approached better:

The plavsky particle rate was something that was introduced as early as the Nielsen Labs fight between Sekai and Wilfrid. In the tournament fights of Try Fighters, the idea of it being a limit was fleshed out somewhat more. That said, I think I am with everyone else when I call BS on the way they explained it this episode, especially with Gunpla Academy seemingly running on infinite energy while Crossbone FC having to recharge every few minutes. But that was something that could have been SO EASILY EXPLAINED that I found it slightly insulting they didn't bother:

We know that Crossbone FC is a small MS. We know that it uses up a lot of energy with its weaponry. All they had to do was tweak Wilfrid's line from "Where does the machine store such an amount of particles?" to "How does such A SMALL MACHINE store enough particles to constantly use all its weapon at full power?" and suddenly, it would at least be somewhat excusable.

Second, its obvious that Lucas thinks he is good enough to solo the other teams and that "he doesn't like to leave something so fun to others". That part of him that comes off almost as selfish. I would have much rather they made this a bigger part of his personality and had him been a powerful player whose downfall is that he only focuses on himself. Not in a Junya "you're all on your own" kind of way, but a "you're all here to support me, the ace of the team" kind of way. We see that somewhat in this episode, but I think it was a lost opportunity that they didn't bother to emphasize as an ideological battle between the 1-ace-2-support vs 3-ace setup.

All said and done, I think this was one of the better team battles in the series. One can only hope that the grand finale between Seiho and Gunpla Academy is going to be at least as team-oriented and not just "we all have a rival on the other team, lets make this 3v3 into three 1v1s".
Yeah Lucas came off as a bit of a jerk. Still gotta long way to go in impressing Ms. Meatbun in spirit with an attitude like that. Though that kind of UNDERSTANDING seems hamfisted...

Eh, I'm stuck between "team tactics" and "settling rivalries".
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
killmikekill

gunform1010 wrote:
killmikekill wrote:At the end of the day, this is an animated show devoted primarily to selling plastic model kits to children. Hopefully, we can either enjoy the series or find something else where we can find that enjoyment that this series isn't providing you.
Or for people like me, managing to have cool battles to replicate in stop motion. Hahahaha.
Do you make videos like this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ml0Q9ucEYQ

If so then that's pretty sweet. I can't remember how many times my younger self imagined certain battle scenarios with certain gundam models and toys versus toy tanks or airplanes, or other gundams, etc.
gunform1010

killmikekill wrote:
gunform1010 wrote:
killmikekill wrote:At the end of the day, this is an animated show devoted primarily to selling plastic model kits to children. Hopefully, we can either enjoy the series or find something else where we can find that enjoyment that this series isn't providing you.
Or for people like me, managing to have cool battles to replicate in stop motion. Hahahaha.
Do you make videos like this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ml0Q9ucEYQ

If so then that's pretty sweet. I can't remember how many times my younger self imagined certain battle scenarios with certain gundam models and toys versus toy tanks or airplanes, or other gundams, etc.
No. I need to learn. D:

Also, we're done a disservice by having no stop motion recreations of any of the BF battles. Such a shame.

Strike Zero

A guy by the name of plamoo does some of the best stop-motion animation using Gundam and other figures I've seen, especially his most recent ones.

For example.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
gunform1010

Strike Zero wrote:A guy by the name of plamoo does some of the best stop-motion animation using Gundam and other figures I've seen, especially his most recent ones.

For example.
Now that is the kind of quality we need. Good show.

Chris
Administrator

balofo wrote:If people want to have different topics for fans and detractors of a series, then let's have Pro and Anti topics just like 2ch.

Mods please.
We don't need any such thing. What we need is for people of all ranges of opinions to remember that watching a show meant for children doesn't mean acting like children when discussing it.

To everyone that this applies to: if you want to come to these threads every week and bemoan how terrible this show is and how it's the WORST THING EVER, feel free to. You are well within your rights to do so, but don't act as though your opinions are absolute facts. And don't be surprised if people disagree and push back against your opinions.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Raikoh

If it's a question on where a small machine would store particles, I'd question why not use an MG Crossbone. It's just slightly larger than a normal HG. I think it's safe to say they wet the bed with how they did the particle stuff with Crossbone, especially when literally the very last episode (and throughout the entire series for that) we had two units doing way more over-the-top things and particles were never even glanced upon. Decent idea, execution was quite lackluster.

Speaking of, what ARE the rules regarding MGs in the Build Fighters universe? How come we've never seen any of them?
Last edited by Raikoh on Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
gunform1010

Raikoh wrote:If it's a question on where a small machine would store particles, I'd question why not use an MG Crossbone. It's just slightly larger than a normal HG.

Speaking of, what ARE the rules regarding MGs in the Build Fighters universe? How come we've never seen any of them?
Could it be due to some perceived unfairness? Though I call BS with that, even though all the fighters weren't exactly enjoying the sudden 1/48 Zaku (which... probably actually wasn't a 1/48 Zaku lol).

Also, are we supposed to assume the open tourney still works with the same rules and schedules as seven years ago?

Kuruni

Back to topic.

I still say Lucas' strategy is most sensible tactic in this situation. Again, his team has one ace while Celestial Sphere has three, but he's also the strongest out of four. It's possible* that he even tune up the X1FC to increase its performance to the point that particle usage would be impractical for HG gunpla**.

Still, clashing head-on is still what only idiot would does in this situation - he may be the strongest, but not to the point that he can curbstomp Celestial Sphere team like he did to White Wolves. So he use hit-and-run, as well as ambush, to take down the Celestial Sphere one-by-one with his superior gunpla. Should everything goes as he plan, then he can slowly make Celestial Sphere worn-out while X1FC is still in relatively better shape and can take them out in last few minutes. Think of it, if his ambush actually take G-Portent out, he would successfully refuel for third time, with one teammate still alive (and possible leave to hide somewhere), and The End damaged. So he can either take The End out in that two minutes and win by score, or fail to does that, enter the duel round. Now, if the battlers are allow to to repair their gunpla for this duel round, then it's him (who's strongest) and with X1FC in perfect shape, against either oonly one of Celestial Sphere.

Really, it's finest strategy I can think in his situation.

* Read - I'm speculating here.
** Although different, particle limitation isn't new. Remember how Star Build Strike need to absorb beam for use the discharge system or spend extra long time to charge it? It even run out of particle during the racing round. It also brough up recently when SxDxG spam it beam breath that such attack is only possible because it absorb extra particle from Try Fighters in previous episode. So yes, the gunpla can still move around, but can't use much of gimicks, maybe even has weapons and propulsion system reduced to minimum output (Bandai should consider publish the article focus on the Battle System's function, really).
Last edited by Kuruni on Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Kaioshin Sama

Chris wrote:
balofo wrote:If people want to have different topics for fans and detractors of a series, then let's have Pro and Anti topics just like 2ch.

Mods please.
We don't need any such thing. What we need is for people of all ranges of opinions to remember that watching a show meant for children doesn't mean acting like children when discussing it.

To everyone that this applies to: if you want to come to these threads every week and bemoan how terrible this show is and how it's the WORST THING EVER, feel free to. You are well within your rights to do so, but don't act as though your opinions are absolute facts. And don't be surprised if people disagree and push back against your opinions.
Thank you Mr. Guanche! Does having to come in and say this sort of thing ever make you feel like a dad by the way because it's sort of the impression I get.

@balofo: I'm going to try my hardest not to make this come across as too patronizing but let's talk about a few things really briefly as I see it. One thing I've never really understood is why people seem to think coming in and saying things like "Try is as bad as age, I just want this to end" or "how much worse can this get?" and expect to be taken seriously. If you want it to end there's a pretty simple solution that can solve the problem for you right now, stop watching it. No real excuses there, it doesn't get any easier than that.

Now assuming you stayed on and watch, when you take the attitude of wondering "how bad will the remaining eps be?" it's pretty dishonest to suggest that you're keeping any sort of open mind and room for saying anything particularly positive and that's not really productive posting. What do you have to contribute in that case if you're not even considering the possibility of what I guess you could call a good episode or even moment? Like how do you expect to be taken particularly seriously.

Anyway honestly your posting style for this show really makes me think you'd have more luck on /m/ where they love to take the it can only conceivably be crap approach and work to find reasons to justify the outlook rather than watching the show and then form an opinion approach you'd typically expect.

Like sorry but to me it's just so clear that you've made up your mind on the show for a long time and are only going to have the zingers about how bad it is to say in the couple weeks so it's like what can you realistically contribute. Anyway that's the way I see it, it just puzzles me how anyone could see it particularly differently, maybe it's just an internet generation thing Chris talked about in one of the podcasts where there's this belief that there's no such thing as an uninformed or unhelpful opinion. I mean AmuroNT1 manages to make a post where he pretty much weighs out the whole episode just fine so yeah...anyway I'll let people get back to discussion, just felt I needed to say a few things here.
gunform1010

Kuruni wrote:Back to topic.

I still say Lucas' strategy is most sensible tactic in this situation. Again, his team has one ace while Celestial Sphere has three, but he's also the strongest out of four. It's possible* that he even tune up the X1FC to increase its performance to the point that particle usage would be impractical for HG gunpla**.

Still, clashing head-on is still what only idiot would does in this situation - he may be the strongest, but not to the point that he can curbstomp Celestial Sphere team like he did to White Wolves. So he use hit-and-run, as well as ambush, to take down the Celestial Sphere one-by-one with his superior gunpla. Should everything goes as he plan, then he can slowly make Celestial Sphere worn-out while X1FC is still in relatively better shape and can take them out in last few minutes. Think of it, if his ambush actually take G-Portent out, he would successfully refuel for third time, with one teammate still alive (and possible leave to hide somewhere), and The End damaged. So he can either take The End out in that two minutes and win by score, or fail to does that, enter the duel round. Now, if the battlers are allow to to repair their gunpla for this duel round, then it's him (who's strongest) and with X1FC in perfect shape, against either oonly one of Celestial Sphere.

Really, it's finest strategy I can think in his situation.

* Read - I'm speculating here.
** Although different, particle limitation isn't new. Remember how Star Build Strike need to absorb beam for use the discharge system or spend extra long time to charge it? It even run out of particle during the racing round. It also brough up recently when SxDxG spam it beam breath that such attack is only possible because it absorb extra particle from Try Fighters in previous episode. So yes, the gunpla can still move around, but can't use much of gimicks, maybe even has weapons and propulsion system reduced to minimum output (Bandai should consider publish the article focus on the Battle System's function, really).
Yeah, except he didn't bother to plant remote detonated bombs or anything to ensure Shia is taken out.

Xenosynth

Slight ramble for Balofo
Spoiler
I think part of the problem Balofo is that you are coming across as a bit rude. I mean, I joke about FT's bad writing but I wouldn't pop in the thread going 'Wow garbage, it's worse than Age' and then insult people who seem to like it. If you genuinely like FT that's your opinion, you can like the designs or the way they wrote the fights or whatever. But I mean, just like how you snapped at StrikeZero and Amuro, don't you realize that's how you come across in this thread? Obviously you don't like how they made you feel about FT, and so then you come in here and do similar things, it just... I dunno.

I mean, you're talking like your opinion is fact, but from what I've seen here, there are people who enjoy Igloo, people that enjoy ZZ, people that enjoy 08th MS team, and from what I can gather in Japan polls and whatnot, Japan in some ways has just as many weird likes and dislikes as America (ZZ seems to fluctuate, Seed Destiny seems loved, etc). I think that if you feel it's really one of the worst, then that's your opinion, but when week after week you seem to be using hyperbole and repeating yourself, it just gets a bit tiring, we don't really gain anymore insights or anything, it's just 'Balofo continues disliking the show.'

I think people wouldn't mind as much if you didn't come across as so... abrasive. Latenlazy, Raikoh, etc. all have complained but haven't bothered people because they are just bringing in facts on why they dislike certain elements.

I'm mostly just sad with how you've reacted to me at times because from the Mecha/Tech threads as well as some of the other threads I have a lot of respect for you and your knowledge when it comes to Gundam topics relating to tech things, and I thought we got along fine before. I by no means love this series or put it with my top favorites, but I just try to enjoy bits of it.
Anyway, that's all I'll say on it, I don't want this to become an argument again, but I felt I'd put how I feel. I hope that there's no issues between us in the future though Balofo, because again, I respect you and enjoy your posts in the mecha/technology forum, as someone relatively new compared to many people there I always have things to learn with that stuff, which I enjoy.
balofo

I have no personal problems with anyone, nor the insults hurt my feelings :)

I will tone down the criticism in the anime threads, that's the best for everyone
domtropen

About using MG: Unless it's late UC gunplas MG is still bigger than most HG gunplas, so stuff like MG The-O or Sazabi would be as big as some big 1/144 MAs. Would it have to be counted as big MA with 3 pilots instead? Also MG with its internal frame and general price would be a nightmare to fix [this also apply to extremely complicated Sei-made gunpla that gives Yuuma nightmare for how to fix it]. Using some MG parts should be fine though just like Blue Destiny with big arm in SS1.
Yeah, except he didn't bother to plant remote detonated bombs or anything to ensure Shia is taken out.
How many people would know she can fix her gunpla during battle? and how many non-military lovers would carry remote bombs around in gunpla fights? :wink:

For particle storage it is interesting that Lucas's team use the big Geara Doga with that huge heavyarms backpack, perhaps to maximize particle storage while having decent mobility.
killmikekill

So since there are 4 episodes left, does anyone know how this is going to breakdown? Will it be a two-part fight of Minato vs. Try and then another two-part fight of Gunpla Academy v. Try or will there be a gunpla eve type episode that breaks it up?
gunform1010

domtropen wrote:About using MG: Unless it's late UC gunplas MG is still bigger than most HG gunplas, so stuff like MG The-O or Sazabi would be as big as some big 1/144 MAs. Would it have to be counted as big MA with 3 pilots instead? Also MG with its internal frame and general price would be a nightmare to fix [this also apply to extremely complicated Sei-made gunpla that gives Yuuma nightmare for how to fix it]. Using some MG parts should be fine though just like Blue Destiny with big arm in SS1.
How many people would know she can fix her gunpla during battle? and how many non-military lovers would carry remote bombs around in gunpla fights? :wink:

For particle storage it is interesting that Lucas's team use the big Geara Doga with that huge heavyarms backpack, perhaps to maximize particle storage while having decent mobility.
Ok fine, but Lucas had some time to spare as Wilfrid didn't spot him immediately. Could have bought time by destroying more crucial components.

You gotta wonder if RGs, if they exist (probably don't or people are still stupid to not have stumbled upon it) are horrid to fix also.
killmikekill wrote:So since there are 4 episodes left, does anyone know how this is going to breakdown? Will it be a two-part fight of Minato vs. Try and then another two-part fight of Gunpla Academy v. Try or will there be a gunpla eve type episode that breaks it up?
Hopefully it's a Gunpla Eve esque episode.

Xenosynth

Anyway, we have 3 episodes left I believe, I hope they get around to animating the Xi and other winners soon but I'm slightly worried. S1 already kinda animated them with very low frames and I can agree this week it feels like the Budget was cut. The FC was basically the Sengoku Astray of this season, and I don't know if it's because of budgets or if it's just hard to animate it.

I did enjoy the core fighter tricks that were used, especially the launching of the beam sabers. I hope more games/works that have the FC in it would do that trick again in some way because it was pretty cool/surprising. I'm still glad it got animated at all though, plus finally an HG sized kit.

Raikoh: I agree with that too. MGs and PGs are in this weird place because while we haven't seen them we KNOW they work with plavsky particles, like the 1/48th Zaku (Which was sized like a 1/12th though when you look at the hand size.) Size restrictions got even more weird with the whole MA = 3 pilot thing as well, would that could for MG sized MG? Would a PG be too big for even all 3 to enter? I do understand that they probably want the rules a bit vague but if they just went over a bit more it'd be at least a productive use of filler.

Dom: I don't have access to the episode atm, but didn't they have Geara Doga HWS style backpacks?
gunform1010

Xenosynth wrote:Anyway, we have 3 episodes left I believe, I hope they get around to animating the Xi and other winners soon but I'm slightly worried. S1 already kinda animated them with very low frames and I can agree this week it feels like the Budget was cut. The FC was basically the Sengoku Astray of this season, and I don't know if it's because of budgets or if it's just hard to animate it.

I did enjoy the core fighter tricks that were used, especially the launching of the beam sabers. I hope more games/works that have the FC in it would do that trick again in some way because it was pretty cool/surprising. I'm still glad it got animated at all though, plus finally an HG sized kit.

Raikoh: I agree with that too. MGs and PGs are in this weird place because while we haven't seen them we KNOW they work with plavsky particles, like the 1/48th Zaku (Which was sized like a 1/12th though when you look at the hand size.) Size restrictions got even more weird with the whole MA = 3 pilot thing as well, would that could for MG sized MG? Would a PG be too big for even all 3 to enter? I do understand that they probably want the rules a bit vague but if they just went over a bit more it'd be at least a productive use of filler.

Dom: I don't have access to the episode atm, but didn't they have Geara Doga HWS style backpacks?
Reminds me, a BBG totally could fit an MG Dom but not a HG Dom. So how the heck did the then disguised BBG register as a 1/144 Dom (+ scratchbuild for foreshadowing! ;D)?