The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Post Reply
User avatar
balofo
Posts: 2459
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:45 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by balofo » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:37 am

Just having a healthy discussion, what's the problem?

User avatar
X_zoro
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:01 am

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by X_zoro » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:41 am

balofo wrote:Last 10 years? Only Stargazer, 00 S1 and BF can be considered at least average rest is either meh or pure trash like IGLOO Apocalypse/2, AGE, OO S2, OO Movie, Try, IBO(Season 2 is gonna suck too, sorry).People need to learn the difference between facts(QUALITY in this special) and opinions(Hey dude I think Sekai is a great character when he's a badly written joke).
oh I didn't know you had a time machine ? can you tell me what the out come is in the series final ? can you tell me who dies ? oh and can you tell me how many Gundams are in season 2 ? you can't ? wait what that ? you say you can only speak out of your ass and have no facts ? oh you have one more thing to add ? you say your just a butt hurt troll who has nothing better to do and is just waiting for the mods to ban your ass ? well you should have just said that in the first place you silly.

User avatar
balofo
Posts: 2459
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:45 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by balofo » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:47 am

oh I didn't know you had a time machine ? can you tell me what the out come is in the series final ? can you tell me who dies ? oh and can you tell me how many Gundams are in season 2 ? you can't ? wait what that ? you say you can only speak out of your ass and have no facts ? oh you have one more thing to add ? you say your just a butt hurt troll who has nothing better to do and is just waiting for the mods to ban your ass ? well you should have just said that in the first place you silly.
Sure:
-Mikazuki dies piloting Barbatos due to the AV, Orga had died earlier. Discount Relena survives but retires, taking care of the orphans.
-2 more enemy Gundams, one is the last boss, Tekkadan gets one and repairs it. Chocolate man helps in the final battle.

Screencap this

User avatar
X_zoro
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:01 am

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by X_zoro » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:51 am

balofo wrote:
oh I didn't know you had a time machine ? can you tell me what the out come is in the series final ? can you tell me who dies ? oh and can you tell me how many Gundams are in season 2 ? you can't ? wait what that ? you say you can only speak out of your ass and have no facts ? oh you have one more thing to add ? you say your just a butt hurt troll who has nothing better to do and is just waiting for the mods to ban your ass ? well you should have just said that in the first place you silly.
Sure:
-Mikazuki dies piloting Barbatos due to the AV, Orga had died earlier. Discount Relena survives but retires, taking care of the orphans.
-2 more enemy Gundams, one is the last boss, Tekkadan gets one and repairs it. Chocolate man helps in the final battle.

Screencap this
already did and also I can see why everyone see you as the village idiot.

User avatar
balofo
Posts: 2459
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:45 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by balofo » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:55 am

That feel when people resort to name calling.

Like clockwork.

User avatar
X_zoro
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:01 am

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by X_zoro » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:03 am

balofo wrote:That feel when people resort to name calling.

Like clockwork.
what else do you call someone with false claims and no evidence ?

User avatar
balofo
Posts: 2459
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:45 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by balofo » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:05 am

What false claim?

User avatar
ShadowCell
Moderator
Posts: 5830
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:59 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by ShadowCell » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:11 am

christ almighty.

both of you, stop. balofo, i will delete your posts until you drop this stupid little shitfight and quit being such an ass.

User avatar
X_zoro
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:01 am

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by X_zoro » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:22 am

ShadowCell wrote:christ almighty.

both of you, stop. balofo, i will delete your posts until you drop this stupid little shitfight and quit being such an ass.
my apologies my lord :(

User avatar
Outlaw
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:51 am
Location: Washington

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by Outlaw » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:28 am

Eh, it was more BT, for both better and worse. I liked the humor and the ending nod was nice, but the big fight at the end wasn't my cup o' tea.

On a personal note I wish they'd tone down the grandiose special attacks. It's to the point now that someone trying to play Gunpla Battle with a regular MS (RX-78 for example) would be hopelessly outmatched even if they built it to literal perfection.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."

User avatar
Loop_Stratos
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:52 am
Location: In another galaxy

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by Loop_Stratos » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:00 am

is it just me or
Spoiler
Show
Fumina's Mom=Second coming of Rinko Iori
and not liking the fight. It was like BF Ep. 25 done wrong.
IMO

This is just a block of text. Move on.

User avatar
Kuruni
Posts: 2936
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:43 am
Location: sitting next to a yandere loli
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by Kuruni » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:29 pm

Overall good. I actually laugh several time for the first half.

Loli!

For her little screentime in the series, Marika's shipping mom act seem to stick out enough and played to greater degree here.

My...they actually use Fanfan in GBF-verse? Make me wonder if JSDF use Type 61 MBT? That heat hawk spoon...I won't surprise if there's actually real thing.

Ok, so the lightheart part is fun to watch, and the suspense set up is pretty good.
Spoiler
Show
From the starting with Scramble Test to Nilsen Lab's overtaken by Arista, the tension build-up in fine pace. (Maybe it's just me, but seeing how gunpla move through crystalful passage with small windows to other world remind me of Bydo's demension in R-Type series.)

It's just too bad that the battle to reach Arista is kind of let down (again). Easily the weakest part of this special, although it's nice to see Kamiki Burning's gimmick.

Thankfully, the battle against Scramble Gundam itself is pretty good, I think this is what Nils said that his ability to control Plavsky would make him too strong to fight. The thing not only stronger than usual, but control battlefield like its own arsenal, and even summon attack from other place altogether.

Hmm? When they use new Winning Road, Kamiki Burning arms emit both flame and blizzard...referrence to God Master's God Devil Finger? Nevertheless, Giant Superior Dragon is awesome (with possibly referrence to Wizard All Dragon to boost). I understand why it might seem anti-climax to some (could be better if they narrowly win despite combine everyone's power, they're fighting reality warper afterall), but I think it's good enough.
My girlfriend was a loli.

User avatar
Wingnut
Posts: 6890
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Detroit, MI
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by Wingnut » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:58 pm

Loop_Stratos wrote:is it just me or
Spoiler
Show
Fumina's Mom=Second coming of Rinko Iori
Well,
Spoiler
Show
she definitely seems to want to be a grandmother or something. Though it's possible she just wants her daughter to be happy with someone else. However in the end there's nothing to worry about as even on an isolated tropical island, it would take quite a bit for Sekai and Fumina to actually get to any base even without outside interference from Shia and Gyanko.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.

User avatar
Compass
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:29 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by Compass » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:57 pm

I don't watch GBF for riveting politics, and haven't watched any series for that in years. This is a fun anime, the designs are great, and it's a literal throwback machine when you see stuff like Hildolfrs animated for the first time.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex

User avatar
battletech
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:56 am
Location: Orbiting Jupiter

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by battletech » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:19 pm

GBF and Try at their root are just an expression of what's great about Gunpla. Gunpla is fun and only limited by someones imagination and creativity. All in all this was an enjoyable thirty minute commercial that gave a few laughs and cute moments. I personally don't fault it for being what it is.

Now just have to wait for the GBF special. Is that still happening?
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke

Dustman
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:20 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by Dustman » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:28 pm

Ah, it's safe to post now? OK! I've got a lot to say...

I rewatched Try in preparation for this since a lot of it had already slipped my mind. While it was airing, I was disappointed with the directionless plotting, mediocre rivalries and telltale signs that the production had fallen behind schedule. However, if I were so disaffected over a recent depression in my hobbies, what does it say about my personality and my contributions to the lives of others that I'll prioritize misery over letting myself grow out of it and into another subject of interest?

Because I choose to remain with Gundam and wait for another series I really like, I do at least make an effort to love or respect the things I've spent my time on. As I usually do, I gave Try a second chance. Sadly, I wasn't expecting it to find new life and it really didn't. Most of my criticisms held and I may prefer to just ignore the series from this point on. However, I did find this viewing to be marginally superior to my first. Seeing it in clusters over the course of a week is just not as tiresome as overstaying its welcome at 6 months. Its saving grace is it at least seems conscious of its own limitations. Other than compensating with over the top action, it doesn't bite off more than it can chew. Some of this is due to poor planning but the lack of substance, lower stakes and standalone format is what saves it from overpowering the original.

My only hope for Island Wars was that it would focus on humor. And I got that exactly what I wanted! But only for the first half. It pains me but this special just isn't very good. The only reason it seems to exist is for the final scene. Although... as much as I appreciate the effort and wanted something like this so badly, it bothers me that she needed a Gunpla and didn't know how to build one when her homeland manufactures its own plamo line. The way it's handled doesn't really compliment the actual events of the special and it sucks that it doesn't, because it should.

The battle sunk this special like the Titantic. I'm not exaggerating when I say it was so loud and exhausting that it gave me a headache. Outlaw said it best: Try's addiction to Gurren Lagann-style attacks has broken the game beyond recognition. There were always ways this could be fixed or mitigated, from making it clear that Nils's Plavsky particles are different from Arian's, to having the ridiculous feats seen in Island Wars be no more than an effect of the destabilized crystal. These abilities are instead available under normal conditions. This once got so bad that Lucas needing to refuel the Full Cloth's particles not only made him hopelessly disappointing for the hype they gave him, I also recall that his particle deficiency actually confused people since he was playing by the rules of the first series (meanwhile Sekai was off launching some BS Plavsky ghost attack against Denial just one episode earlier).

In all fairness, I still enjoyed the first half of the special and I almost teared up during the final scene. Maybe I should have expected as much but I'm still really disappointed. The optimism I had for this and the reason I was willing to give Try a second chance is because I loved Build Fighters and I truly do want a third series. The setting is perfect for endless spinoffs and it has the marketability to support it. But if it wasn't clear enough before, it's time to start fresh. Try doesn't need another sequel. I don't know what the word is on the OVA directed by Kenji Nagasaki but it'll be great to see the effect his input would have at this stage.

User avatar
X_zoro
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:01 am

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by X_zoro » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:33 pm

Dustman wrote:Ah, it's safe to post now? OK! I've got a lot to say...

I rewatched Try in preparation for this since a lot of it had already slipped my mind. While it was airing, I was disappointed with the directionless plotting, mediocre rivalries and telltale signs that the production had fallen behind schedule. However, if I were so disaffected over a recent depression in my hobbies, what does it say about my personality and my contributions to the lives of others that I'll prioritize misery over letting myself grow out of it and into another subject of interest?

Because I choose to remain with Gundam and wait for another series I really like, I do at least make an effort to love or respect the things I've spent my time on. As I usually do, I gave Try a second chance. Sadly, I wasn't expecting it to find new life and it really didn't. Most of my criticisms held and I may prefer to just ignore the series from this point on. However, I did find this viewing to be marginally superior to my first. Seeing it in clusters over the course of a week is just not as tiresome as overstaying its welcome at 6 months. Its saving grace is it at least seems conscious of its own limitations. Other than compensating with over the top action, it doesn't bite off more than it can chew. Some of this is due to poor planning but the lack of substance, lower stakes and standalone format is what saves it from overpowering the original.

My only hope for Island Wars was that it would focus on humor. And I got that exactly what I wanted! But only for the first half. It pains me but this special just isn't very good. The only reason it seems to exist is for the final scene. Although... as much as I appreciate the effort and wanted something like this so badly, it bothers me that she needed a Gunpla and didn't know how to build one when her homeland manufactures its own plamo line. The way it's handled doesn't really compliment the actual events of the special and it sucks that it doesn't, because it should.

The battle sunk this special like the Titantic. I'm not exaggerating when I say it was so loud and exhausting that it gave me a headache. Outlaw said it best: Try's addiction to Gurren Lagann-style attacks has broken the game beyond recognition. There were always ways this could be fixed or mitigated, from making it clear that Nils's Plavsky particles are different from Arian's, to having the ridiculous feats seen in Island Wars be no more than an effect of the destabilized crystal. These abilities are instead available under normal conditions. This once got so bad that Lucas needing to refuel the Full Cloth's particles not only made him hopelessly disappointing for the hype they gave him, I also recall that his particle deficiency actually confused people since he was playing by the rules of the first series (meanwhile Sekai was off launching some BS Plavsky ghost attack against Denial just one episode earlier).

In all fairness, I still enjoyed the first half of the special and I almost teared up during the final scene. Maybe I should have expected as much but I'm still really disappointed. The optimism I had for this and the reason I was willing to give Try a second chance is because I loved Build Fighters and I truly do want a third series. The setting is perfect for endless spinoffs and it has the marketability to support it. But if it wasn't clear enough before, it's time to start fresh. Try doesn't need another sequel. I don't know what the word is on the OVA directed by Kenji Nagasaki but it'll be great to see the effect his input would have at this stage.
Exactly how I feel, it was a good OVA for what it was but some of the fights, weren't as Grand or explosive, ( I mean the second to last episodes fight in Try was really good ) I didn't get that same feeling sadly :( but I still enjoyed the OVA for what it was just a Fun reminder why we love build fighters.

User avatar
Brave Fencer Kirby
Posts: 1309
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:14 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by Brave Fencer Kirby » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:09 pm

Yeah, I wasn't particularly impressed. The first half was the same boring harem shenanigans from the series, which wasn't interesting then and isn't interesting now. The second half is spamming overpowered attacks and persevering through the power of plot armor. The epilogue raised more questions than it answered, including leaving the entire driving question of the plot unresolved.

What made Build Fighters great was entertaining characters, a solidly executed plot, and fantastic combat scenes. Try wasn't as good at any of that, but still had some good moments. Island Wars doesn't even come close and mostly felt like a waste of time.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!

User avatar
Vent Noir
Posts: 1167
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:30 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by Vent Noir » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:16 pm

People ARE aware that they can killfile people using "Friends and Foes" in the User Control Panel, right? I've had Balofo in there for a while. Unfortunately, it doesn't block quotes from him in other people's posts - if it did, I wouldn't have to see anything from him.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".

User avatar
YokozunaBulldozer
Posts: 692
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by YokozunaBulldozer » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:16 pm

Hate it or love it seeing
Spoiler
Show
Superior Dragon emerging from that magic circle and finishing Scramble with Jigen Haoh School Punch It Like Saint Seiya
was like the time we had the Spider-man reveal on the Civil War trailer. :mrgreen:
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER

Post Reply