The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Amion

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

BrentD15 wrote:
Strike Zero wrote:
Lord Dearche wrote:Build Fighters was a real gundam show
Define "real Gundam show" pls, because I have a hard time believing that somebody would seriously group the Build Fighters series in the same vein as other shows like Zeta, 00 or even G.
If it has "Gundam" in the name and is brought to us by Bandai and Sunrise, it's Gundam. 8)
*Applauds*
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
zetatype

Oh Build Fighters TRY, you made me laugh, you made me cry, you made me facepalm in utter disbelief...luckily in the end you gave me plenty to laugh about.

In the end this episode was pretty much just a bunch of fanservice without much substance...and damn it I just couldn't stop smiling the entire time. Glad that the episode decided to just go nuts and have fun as the series tends to be at its best when it does so. Only thing I was bummed out about is that we still never got to see Sei.

As a whole GBF TRY was a step down compared to S1 from the under developed characters to the stilted fights (at times) and yet I don't regret a single moment I spent watching it. In the end it was just nice little fun series to sit back and watch.

Hopefully the OVAs will be worth looking into.
YokozunaBulldozer

BrentD15 wrote: If it has "Gundam" in the name and is brought to us by Bandai and Sunrise, it's Gundam. 8)
What you said. Nothing more nothing less.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

zetatype wrote: As a whole GBF TRY was a step down compared to S1 from the under developed characters to the stilted fights (at times) and yet I don't regret a single moment I spent watching it. In the end it was just nice little fun series to sit back and watch.

Hopefully the OVAs will be worth looking into.

^This sums up my feelings perfectly about the series. Especially the "nice little fun series to sit back and watch." Yes the show didn't need to take itself so seriously sometimes, but then, so did the viewers. Or maybe I liked it more because I was watching G-Gundam during the run of Try...hmmm

Either way, zetatype you put into words what I struggled to say and thank you for that!
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
YokozunaBulldozer

Why I loved this show:
1. Sunrise mecha anime homages
2. More SD kits
3. Obari
4. Left me craving for more to the end
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Outlaw

Despite its (many) failings I still managed to eke out some enjoyment from Try.
I would probably place it around ZZ level. Both followed up an acclaimed series but feel short due to poor pacing, hit or miss humor, and a very bumpy start.

I'm actually going against character and find myself formulating an alternate version of Try in my head. Now if hell freezes over maybe I'll actually share it at some point. :lol:
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
Wellman

Truthfully, I had low expectations of the first season of Build Fighters and I had low expectations of this season. Both exceeded them in different ways.

Personally I never really got all the love the main story of Build Fighters got to begin with but the fights were very good. Try is all about Gundam fanservice, so it didn't let me down. If we get another season and it is about ludicrous plot to make me think fighting with plastic models is something other then a game birth out of love for Gundam Fanservice, then it better be damn good because as I stated before I'm only watch this series for Gundam and fights.

I stick to the main war entries in the franchise or dip out else where when I want a story.
AmuroNT1

I can only speak for myself, but part of Build Fighters' appeal to me is that it's NOT just a main war entry. As I've said before the classic Gundam formula, with its many rote elements like the rookie hero and the doomed Newtype girlfriend, has really been losing its appeal lately. You can only watch the same basic plot elements played out so many times before they wear thin. It's probably part of the reason stories like Unicorn and G-Reco just didn't appeal to me.

Build Fighters manages to be a Gundam story, but NOT a Gundam story at the same time. It employs some of these old clichés, but adds new and interesting spins that we haven't gotten in mainline shows and probably never would. The references and homages show that this effort is a labor of love trying to breathe new life into a venerable franchise and not simply a dismissive "This isn't your grandpa's Gundam!"
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
AceOfSpades1

Hey kiddies, Uncle Ace is home!...Again! That's besides the point...well let's point out a few things shall we? First for those of you who actually build gundam models...do you usually go with a 1/144 like the show? Or do you go bigger? Personally I started there but I found I prefer the 1/100 MG models myself. Second was anyone depressed with the ending to Try Fighters? Not the ending itself just the fact it ended? I honestly wasn't into the show at first during season 1, and now I find I can't get enough. Also someone pointed out they were disappointed Sei didn't make an appearance, was I the only one who wanted to see Reiji again? Also without revealing any actual spoilers for those who may not have watched the final episode. What the bloody hell was with the reveal of Sekai's Master at the very end? I had suspicions and I still don't understand! What was that?! Why was he there?! HOW WAS HE THERE! MY LIFE IS A LIE! Well now that that's out...who can answer Ol' Uncle Ace?
"Ol' Uncle Ace is here to stay"
AmuroNT1

AceOfSpades1 wrote:Also without revealing any actual spoilers for those who may not have watched the final episode. What the bloody hell was with the reveal of Sekai's Master at the very end? I had suspicions and I still don't understand! What was that?! Why was he there?! HOW WAS HE THERE! MY LIFE IS A LIE! Well now that that's out...who can answer Ol' Uncle Ace?
The staff has said that characters from mainline Gundam shows exist in the Build Fighters universe and live peaceful, happy lives. Judging by everyone's utter lack of reaction to Mr. Ral, nobody in-universe even notices or realizes.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
latenlazy

AmuroNT1 wrote:I can only speak for myself, but part of Build Fighters' appeal to me is that it's NOT just a main war entry. As I've said before the classic Gundam formula, with its many rote elements like the rookie hero and the doomed Newtype girlfriend, has really been losing its appeal lately. You can only watch the same basic plot elements played out so many times before they wear thin. It's probably part of the reason stories like Unicorn and G-Reco just didn't appeal to me.

Build Fighters manages to be a Gundam story, but NOT a Gundam story at the same time. It employs some of these old clichés, but adds new and interesting spins that we haven't gotten in mainline shows and probably never would. The references and homages show that this effort is a labor of love trying to breathe new life into a venerable franchise and not simply a dismissive "This isn't your grandpa's Gundam!"
It's not a typical war entry, just a typical shounen entry.
Strike Zero

AceOfSpades1 wrote:First for those of you who actually build gundam models...do you usually go with a 1/144 like the show? Or do you go bigger?
I'd love to build more Master Grades myself, but so far I haven't been able to justify dropping a $50-$100 dollar deuce in order to acquire one, so I stick to HGs.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Xenosynth

@Ace: I prefer MGs personally. HGs don't give me as satisfying a feeling when I build them. I still get ones for suits I really like, or if I feel it won't get an MG anytime soon, or for customization purposes (and sometimes to inflate the order to take advantage of free shipping over X amount deals.) I do also enjoy Re/100 even if they lack the inner frames and details, the Mk III was a fun build for me. I also enjoyed the one RG I built, even if it was a bit fragile (RX-78-2).
zetatype

AceOfSpades1 wrote:Hey kiddies, Uncle Ace is home!...Again! That's besides the point...well let's point out a few things shall we? First for those of you who actually build gundam models...do you usually go with a 1/144 like the show? Or do you go bigger? Personally I started there but I found I prefer the 1/100 MG models myself.
Currently I'm going with 1/144 scale. I used to build the 1/100 scale ones during my high school days, but I haven't built one in 7 years now. I currently just don't have the money, time, or space. Money wise its not the cost of the kits that are a problem its the cost of paints. While it isn't necessary, especially with today's gundam kits, I like to glue, sand, and paint all of my gundam models with the exception of the 1/144 RG kits. So bigger models mean more paint. It also doesn't help that I need a new air brush.

Another factor is that the articulation of the 1/144 kits, particularly the HG kits, has come a long way since Gundam Wing aired in the US. In addition to the bigger size the 1/100 scale MGs had much better articulation which was a big deal for me. Today MGs still generally have better articulation than the HG counter parts, but the gap is not as wide as it used to be. A a result, the appeal of MGs is not as great as it once was for me.

Also, a nice thing about the 1/144 HG series is that there is much better variety. There are some mobile suits designs out there that would never get a MG release and unfortunately it doesn't seem like sunrise is interested in 1/100 non-MG kits like they were during the SEED era.

I hope that some day I'll be able to build 1/100 scale kits again especially since I have a stack of them from my high school and early college years including a sexy Crossbone Gundam kit and a rather intimidating 1/60 PG Wing Zero kit.
Compass

Real Grades are viable alternatives to MGs. I used to build MGs and switched over to RGs. Smaller, and there's not as many so I won't be going to the market to buy the next one off my buying list really quick.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Raikoh

I've built a few MGs, one RG (Zeta) and a ton of HGs. HGs just feel my style, mostly because I don't really have the willpower to get better at building and HGs (especially newer ones) are very easy to make and keep stable. It might've been specific to the kit but I couldn't even prevent the RG Zeta from exploding every time I touched it, so that's an idea of the level I'm at (actually I think it was one of my first five kits or something and I didn't realize it was RG...). I haven't gotten to doing any painting yet, mostly because I don't know where to get tools (or where I'd have open air space to paint).

My main priorities on model buying tend to just be suits I like, and a lot of MGs aren't fitting for a hipster who likes less popular stuff like AGE-2, Delta Kai (though that HG was pretty terrible from my experience), and Z'Goks. The Re/100 is releasing a Dijeh so maybe I'll give that a whirl...
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Compass

It's okay, even Sgt. Keroro enjoys building 1/144 HG kits.

http://i.imgur.com/gOdVEIw.jpg?3
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
AceOfSpades1

Such reactions I didn't quite expect; I started off with the 1/144 scales and moved to 1/100 MG which I ended up preferring the larger scale. I never quite went as far as painting and sanding; and the trouble I have with my hands now I probably never will. But even the larger MG still have some small pieces; I don't think i could ever get back to HG's; I was excited when they recently released the MG Gundam Double X (one of my favorite suits). But also the characters exist in Gundam Build Fighters which I find strange; I always assumed Mr. Ral was just a cosplayer...cause otherwise that just opens a whole LOT of more questions then anything.
"Ol' Uncle Ace is here to stay"
Compass

Why? The thing is, for all we know, maybe their name for Amuro Ray is Potato Jay, and Ramba Ral is Goomba Gal. :lol:

That would solve the issue without suspending disbelief. Ral may look like Ral to us, but we don't compare anyone to Amuro Ray in real life as a stunning likeness.
Raikoh

But we do know, since they name drop a lot of Gundam characters in Build Fighters.

I think that people like Ral can fall back on the excuse of "very diligent cosplayers" in this case. There might be a ton of people in the audience or on the streets who notice that Mr. Ral is identical to Ramba Ral, just not shown on screen since that'd be explaining the joke.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE