The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
gunform1010

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Lord Dearche wrote:
gunform1010 wrote:
Lord Dearche wrote:Also an important note. Amuro said a while back that Chinan was confirmed dead, but he's clearly alive in the epilogue.
I noticed. Also, was that Mao nearby?
No, just 2 random people. One had long black hair while the other had short brown with a bandana banana.

Also 3 other great parts of the episode. 1: Sei fans got trolled, HARD! 2: Shia confirmed for better builder then Sei. In fact, she can even TEACH people to become better builders then Sei. 3: Bearguy-San Popeye

The Disapointment: The master wasn't Grahamu Eika or Allenby. It was just Domon. Pfft, what a let down.
The master situation was called from the getgo. Hmph.

Sekai needs to be more creative in combat, but no. Fairness. :evil: We could never dream of him being clever as the Bat. :evil:
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
Raikoh

I'd sincerely hope that the new Burning isn't even more absurd than the Build Burning, because that would completely remove any semblance of drama from the entire plot, and make the characters look dumber for not immediately going to the "destroy the world" attack.

In fact, a lot of the building stuff makes little to no sense. Minato consistently pulls off insane builds, one-upping himself all the time (and he overpowered all of the Try Fighters himself before plot armor kicked in)... And yet he's not supposed to be as good as Yuuma, who does a little scratchwork? Crossbone is the strongest Gunpla in the tournament, but it doesn't outperform anything and chews through energy like a unit from SRW L? Chopping parts off of the Build Burning makes it more effective? A crappily built Destiny can fight one-on-one with the Build Burning, but the Mega Shiki punches it once and its arm explodes?
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Lord Dearche

The only drama Try ever had was entirely forced. Such as the forced Assimilation schtick that simply existed for the sake of making it look like Sekai actually had to acomplish something. Where in reality it was just one punching/clashing everything to victory.

It's like ZOIDS New Century/Zero. They made it look like the team was struggling but in reality Bit and Zero were just gary stuing it up the entire time and winning every match aside from one battle.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Raikoh wrote:
In fact, a lot of the building stuff makes little to no sense. Minato consistently pulls off insane builds, one-upping himself all the time (and he overpowered all of the Try Fighters himself before plot armor kicked in)... And yet he's not supposed to be as good as Yuuma, who does a little scratchwork? Crossbone is the strongest Gunpla in the tournament, but it doesn't outperform anything and chews through energy like a unit from SRW L? Chopping parts off of the Build Burning makes it more effective? A crappily built Destiny can fight one-on-one with the Build Burning, but the Mega Shiki punches it once and its arm explodes?
I mean you are discounting the situation, the battle damage, the skill of the builder, the feelings of the person involved (a key aspect in these shonun shows), and who they were fighting. For example, the Crossbone was fighting against one of the strongest teams in the series…it was basically a 1 v 3 the entire fight and he held his own. For good or ill, Lucus’ appearance seemed more to tease him for a season 3 then actually show him off.

Yuuma was just less flashy then Minato. I always saw the difference between the two as the conflict between a traditionalist and modernist. Yuuma would create new and different suits, but stay within the realms of realism and what was seen in a lot of previous Gundam shows. Minato took the phrase, “Gunpla is freedom” quite literally, even to the point of going to the extreme in this last episode.

I agree the particle stuff was wonky, and I do wish they explained it in detail, since it seemed like a weak plot device.

Final thoughts: This last episode was really funny. Try was fun, but it was far from deep, original, and had a lot of clichés. I am happy I watched it and could always find joy in it and never took it very seriously. I never understand the, in my opinion, hyperbolic comments of terribleness regarding Try and I probably never will. Overall Try was not as good as the first season, but I would never tell someone NOT to watch it. And I think as time goes on, people will look on Try more fondly, since I think there is a lot to like, despite all the warts.

Goodbye Try! Wednesdays will feel a little empty now!
Lord Dearche wrote:The only drama Try ever had was entirely forced. Such as the forced Assimilation schtick that simply existed for the sake of making it look like Sekai actually had to acomplish something. Where in reality it was just one punching/clashing everything to victory.

It's like ZOIDS New Century/Zero. They made it look like the team was struggling but in reality Bit and Zero were just gary stuing it up the entire time and winning every match aside from one battle.
Welcome to the shonun genre? Or just sports genre? Or any genre that is like this? Want another example of the stuff you are talking about. Season 1 of Build Fighters did the same thing, for good or ill.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
latenlazy

Soma Taozi wrote: Welcome to the shonun genre? Or just sports genre? Or any genre that is like this? Want another example of the stuff you are talking about. Season 1 of Build Fighters did the same thing, for good or ill.
And this is where we disagree. While S1 certainly was a shounen show, it had so much more going for it that set it apart. They forced little things here and there, but those forced elements were at best small catalysts to important plot and character development moments that took off on its own believably. The problem with Try was that the forced writing was through many parts the only thing driving development. Someone else mentioned earlier that Try took itself too seriously where S1 would jab at itself for evoking cliches and tropes, and I think that was spot on. Try was a typical shounen show in the smallest most basic sense, which is exactly what people who don't generally like shounen would find criticisms for, and exactly why S1 was such a pleasant surprise. It's kinda interesting that all the pre-emptive criticism for BF ended up not applying to BF but its sequel.

It's never "just" how the genre is. Execution matters, and how you innovate or develop around the basic genre elements matter. For example, Gurren Laagan falls under the shounen genre, but almost no one has dinged it for forced writing.
monster

So is the Gunpla Battle Japanese Championship another national championship?
gunform1010

Raikoh wrote:I'd sincerely hope that the new Burning isn't even more absurd than the Build Burning, because that would completely remove any semblance of drama from the entire plot, and make the characters look dumber for not immediately going to the "destroy the world" attack.

Uh... but I think they dug themselves into a hole with the God... I'm sorry, Kamiki Burning. :mrgreen:

Yeah they were inconsistent. Hey, at least it's not as bad as what can/can't kill TFs. :mrgreen:

toysdream

monster wrote:So is the Gunpla Battle Japanese Championship another national championship?
It seems so. The announcement in the final scene refers to the 全日本ガンプラバトル選手権 - i.e. the "Gunpla Battle Japanese Championship" - which is the same thing they participated in during the previous episodes. (They didn't always specify "U-19" in the dialogue, so its omission here isn't necessarily significant.)

What's more, this final scene takes place the following year - specifically in April of the next year, according to the Japanese script, which is why we see all those students clamoring to sign up the for the Gunpla Battle Club at the start of the new school year. It's possible that winning the junior championship entitles you to enter the adult contest next year, starting from the regional qualifiers and working your way up, but it actually seems to me as if they just skipped ahead to next year's junior championship and the much-vaunted Open Tournament took place offscreen before the credits sequence.

That's my best guess, anyway. It's honestly not clear to me, and I've been working on the show!

-- Mark
monster

toysdream wrote:
monster wrote:So is the Gunpla Battle Japanese Championship another national championship?
It seems so. The announcement in the final scene refers to the 全日本ガンプラバトル選手権 - i.e. the "Gunpla Battle Japanese Championship" - which is the same thing they participated in during the previous episodes. (They didn't always specify "U-19" in the dialogue, so its omission here isn't necessarily significant.)

What's more, this final scene takes place the following year - specifically in April of the next year, according to the Japanese script, which is why we see all those students clamoring to sign up the for the Gunpla Battle Club at the start of the new school year. It's possible that winning the junior championship entitles you to enter the adult contest next year, starting from the regional qualifiers and working your way up, but it actually seems to me as if they just skipped ahead to next year's junior championship and the much-vaunted Open Tournament took place offscreen before the credits sequence.

That's my best guess, anyway. It's honestly not clear to me, and I've been working on the show!

-- Mark
Thanks for that. I actually went back to episode 5 just to confirm that Under-19 was the only thing missing in the name.

As an alternative to being the same tournament, my first guess was that this is the no-age limit tournament, as there's already a U-13 and a U-19, assuming there is no minimum age limit. But I suppose, since it is the next year, it might be the same U-19 tournament after all.

So if the open (world?) tournament took place off screen, I suppose that could be the subject of the OVAs, assuming they're not an April Fool's trick.

EDIT: Ah, I just saw the banner outside and it is still the U-19 tournament.
toysdream

monster wrote:EDIT: Ah, I just saw the banner outside and it is still the U-19 tournament.
Ah, thanks! This is the problem with editing scripts based on rough versions of the animation - I don't get to see all the details until the final episode is released.

When the open tournament was first mentioned back in episode 12, Adou said that he planned to enter the open tournament in "this year's championship," so logically it really should take place during the same calendar year as the national championship. So yes, it does look like they simply skipped over the open tournament and fast-forwarded to next year's junior national championship. Like you say, this seems like obvious OVA fodder.

-- Mark
monster

toysdream wrote:When the open tournament was first mentioned back in episode 12, Adou said that he planned to enter the open tournament in "this year's championship," so logically it really should take place during the same calendar year as the national championship.
Yeah, although he did say that he had to win the nationals first, so is it not as open like it was when Sei and Reiji entered 7 years ago?
toysdream

monster wrote:Yeah, although he did say that he had to win the nationals first, so is it not as open like it was when Sei and Reiji entered 7 years ago?
Yep, it seems like you have to win the national championship before you're eligible for the world one. It also seems as if, unlike the Japanese championship, the world tournament isn't segregated by age - hence Adou's excitement about fighting Fellini, Luang Dallara, etc.

In the original series, there was a single contest with representatives from various regions - some countries were regions unto themselves, but Japan was divided into multiple regions. So for example, Fellini was the representative for all of Italy, but both Mao (representing Japan's 5th Block) and Sei/Reiji (representing Japan's 3rd Block) made it into the world tournament. I guess, under the new rules, only one Japanese team would be allowed in - or maybe one adult and one U-19?

I also have a hunch that players compete in the open tournament as individuals, rather than teams, so the Try Fighters dynamic might not apply there. But they've never really explained any of this for the record.

-- Mark
monster

toysdream wrote:I guess, under the new rules, only one Japanese team would be allowed in - or maybe one adult and one U-19?

I also have a hunch that players compete in the open tournament as individuals, rather than teams, so the Try Fighters dynamic might not apply there.
I'm thinking all three members of Try Fighters would be eligible, so maybe all the national champions from the U-13, U-19, and (presumably) adult tournaments would make one national representative team for the world championship, except now they're fighting as individuals.
But they've never really explained any of this for the record.
Yeah, that's the frustrating part, because without it, there's no way to know how much Yajima changed from the original format and what applies only to Japan or only on a national level.
AmuroNT1

All I have to say is, we need fan artists to draw a picture of Setsuna fanboying over the Super Fumina, saying "You have become Gundam!" and an embarrassed Fumina responding "Don't YOU start!"
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
YokozunaBulldozer

AmuroNT1 wrote:All I have to say is, we need fan artists to draw a picture of Setsuna fanboying over the Super Fumina, saying "You have become Gundam!" and an embarrassed Fumina responding "Don't YOU start!"
Even better. Setsuna in Minato clothing while Exia's personified form wears that maid outfit in its colors. :mrgreen:
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Strike Zero

My excitement for when they unveiled the Super Fumina was palpable . A while back, I had wishfully hoped that somebody would be gutsy/shameless enough to use an AGP figure in battle, and whaddaya know, Mintato turns out to be that somebody. Minato, my man, you win everything forever. :mrgreen:
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
BrentD15

Fumina is now a Gunpla. Everyone pack their bags and go home, there's nothing left to build.

I love the Dom R35, Woundwart, Xi (non-SD), Charzabi, and all the other cameos.
Spoiler
Also, Guntank in space. :P
Also, everyone except the main characters have proven their worth, while Sekai proves he's the worst Gundam character since Lacus Clyne.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Dark Duel

No, IMO the worst character since Lacus Clyne (specifically GSD Lacus) is still Kio Asuno.
Haven't had the time to watch the ep yet, but I've seen some stuff about it, and I'm looking forward to it. Will probably chime in again tonight after watching.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
gunform1010

BrentD15 wrote:Fumina is now a Gunpla. Everyone pack their bags and go home, there's nothing left to build.

Spoiler
Also, everyone except the main characters have proven their worth, while Sekai proves he's the worst Gundam character since Lacus Clyne.
Guntank in space? I-

:evil: *flips table*

Compass

gunform1010 wrote:
BrentD15 wrote:Fumina is now a Gunpla. Everyone pack their bags and go home, there's nothing left to build.

Spoiler
Guntank in space? I-

:evil: *flips table*
It drives through space on the rage of the haters.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex