The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Geoxile

Re: The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk III

Calubin_175 wrote: Sadly, the Dorette Fleet cast got no development and Mashner just became a typical crazy irrational Tomino woman who longed for shota.
We learned that it wasn't just some greedy power grab or some evil plot to conquer the planet. Dorette just desperately wanted his people to return to Earth regardless of the circumstances. It highlighted the importance of returning home for the spacenoids.

I wouldn't call Mashner irrational, even if she did seem to go crazy over Rockpie's newtype ghost. If the captain of the Knossos had listened to her they probably had a better chance of living, instead he ordered the gunners to keep on firing at Mask and left the ship as a sitting duck for Mask to take out. Mashner wanted them to put up shields and accelerate to the Full Moon rather than fight. At the very least if they were able to escape with shields, they might've been able to enter the atmosphere.
Calubin_175

So we learnt that Venus Globe people could be midgets or long life span skeletons. How about the GIT pilots? Are they just young Venusians who haven't succumbed to the mutation yet?

The ending was a good idea but just lacked execution. It is still better than a bad idea ending which was executed in full.
latenlazy

Calubin_175 wrote:So we learnt that Venus Globe people could be midgets or long life span skeletons. How about the GIT pilots? Are they just young Venusians who haven't succumbed to the mutation yet?

The ending was a good idea but just lacked execution. It is still better than a bad idea ending which was executed in full.
Given that both Flamina and Kia's gf were shown to be midgets too at the end...
Destiny_Gundam

Only Flamina was. Mick is just tall.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Geoxile

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Only Flamina was. Mick is just tall.
I don't think so.

In the ED Mick is slightly taller than Flaminia's bodysuit and from what we've seen she's a bit taller than Klim; neither Flaminia nor Klim seemed particularly tall.
http://i.imgur.com/XJWlxGo.jpg

In the epilogue she's like a head taller than Kun. Unless Mick is 6 feet or taller I'd say Kun is probably under 5 feet.
Destiny_Gundam

Kun still has the proportions of a regular person in that shot. There's no reason she'd be out of her body suit (if she had one) at that time anyways.
latenlazy

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Kun still has the proportions of a regular person in that shot. There's no reason she'd be out of her body suit (if she had one) at that time anyways.

http://i.imgur.com/vDzvPti.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YMjhpsy.jpg
http://imgur.com/rEsXOVn

Last one for reference between Manny and Mick. She's taller than Manny in the second picture, who is slightly shorter than Mick, and in the last episode she is much shorter than Mick. Pretty sure that Kun is a dwarf, but not as bad as Flamina or La Gu.
Amion

We should also consider what we're discussing and how the whole point of a body suit is to disguise one's true height. For all we know a body suit is adjustable. You know, like how they change the fashion in this age every year, "Red, it's the new green!", in Venus Globe it's something like:

"Six feet tall! It's the new five!"
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
latenlazy

Amion wrote:We should also consider what we're discussing and how the whole point of a body suit is to disguise one's true height. For all we know a body suit is adjustable. You know, like how they change the fashion in this age every year, "Red, it's the new green!", in Venus Globe it's something like:

"Six feet tall! It's the new five!"
Amion makes a good point. It may not just be about height either. They could literally customize their body proportions with body suits I think.
Ryujin

Flaws aside, I'll remember this series for the great production design work. Those little design details, variations & idiosyncrasies do so much to breathe life into a setting.

Settei book when?
Geoxile

BrentD15 wrote:
Geoxile wrote:Someone on /m/ pointed this out:

http://s7.postimg.org/5jwvzyjzd/1427553538221.png
Mask could've shot the G-Self's cockpit and killed Bellri, but he aims at the head instead. This is when Bellri pushes the Kabakali's rifle to the side.

http://s7.postimg.org/swuxih02z/1427554092597.jpg
He hesitated here for a solid two seconds. This is right before the bird hits the Kabakali, he has the G-Self in a vulnerable position and doesn't shoot until the bird hits the Kabakali.

Maybe Luin got cold feet at the thought of actually killing Bellri. He isn't really the type to hesitate.
You mean like how other protag rivals had the chance to just shoot their opponent, but didn't? Nothing odd when it comes to Gundam. 8)

Let's see that scene in motion.
Destiny_Gundam wrote:
latenlazy wrote:No offence Destiny_Gundam, but I feel like you've actually missed a lot of content and explanation that's actually in the show. The explanations are all there. They're just not accessible, but I suppose that's the point.
If the point really was to bog everything down with nonsense so that only the 'elites' can appreciate it... Tomino is a pretentious dick :lol:
Whatever you think, DG.
Mask also uses some sort of magnetic rappel gun on Bellri in episode 11 instead of just shooting him dead.
Amion

Last night I just suddenly dawned on the obvious reason for Tomino doing Masher the way he did. It was to make fun of the whole Newtype ghost factor by making it so the audience can't see Rockpie's spirit.

It's the opposite to Merida's attempt to impersonate Setsuna F. Seiei. Instead of glowing particles disembodied voices or dramatic music, we get Mashner's shocked and ecstatic behavior when seeing her dead lover. You know, like how anyone would.

So he starts giving her directions based off his newfound omniscience and she does the only sensible thing and listens to him.

Rockpie: Yo, Mashner, it's me, your boytoy! I've become more powerful than you can possibly imagine. Plus, I got to meet Char Aznable, Amuro Rey and all them other homeboys! I'm drawing on their collective wisdom of piloting or fighting a single warship to get you outta this mess!

The poor, unwitting captain of the Knossos, however, doesn't realize any of this because he can't see the ghost, and thus believes poor Mashner's lost it. When in reality she's just doing what Zinnerman and everyone else did when they realized they were being "targeted". :P And thus thinks an ecstatic Mashner is insane.

"Is that Rockpie's idea too?"

"Of course it is!"
Calubin_175

That's a great revelation!

Newtype ghosts do exist as it has been shown in UC verse already.

So is this the only bit mysticism we've been getting from G-Reco? There were all those pressure scenes and Belliri recognising his killed victim etc. Mysticism was very prevalent in Tomino works back in the 80-90s, even in Takahashi's works.

The new form of mysticism pioneered by Evangelion in the late 90s lasted for a bit and now the latest mecha anime don't seem to have them anymore.
gunform1010

Calubin_175 wrote:That's a great revelation!

So is this the only bit mysticism we've been getting from G-Reco? There were all those pressure scenes and Belliri recognising his killed victim etc. Mysticism was very prevalent in Tomino works back in the 80-90s, even in Takahashi's works.

The new form of mysticism pioneered by Evangelion in the late 90s lasted for a bit and now the latest mecha anime don't seem to have them anymore.
The mysticism fell out of favor b/c...?
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
BrentD15

gunform1010 wrote:

Muh gritty realism.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Geoxile

BrentD15 wrote:
gunform1010 wrote:

Muh gritty realism.
It's funny since Metaphysical biology was a science in Eva
Destiny_Gundam

Chris's final reviews are up, and once again some one else seems to voice my thoughts a lot better than I do :lol:
BrentD15

Chris, I do not agree with your opinions on this show, but I respect as just opinions as much as I respect a wrapper for a candy bar. 8)
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Amion

Chris' reviews are succinct as always. A fitting review and rating.

Now, on that note, I, Amion, shall at long last swallow my distaste for the first few episodes of Turn A and watch it. About time I did. Sounds like there's great things to see in it, and it's the best time as any now that this Tomino story's finished with its run.

*Goes to do that*
BrentD15

Amion wrote:Chris' reviews are succinct as always. A fitting review and rating.
I personally disagree, as there are a lot of holes in his arguments, particularly his expectations about:
*the one-sided rivalry between Bellri and Luin being intentional
*the warmongering of Zuchini and Cumpa the reason why the war started in the first place
*Luin's characterization in the first two episodes being the start of the reason why he became as prideful as he was in the last episode, especially representing how the oppressed can become as bad as the oppressors
*Manny's love towards Luin/Mask was to prove her love to him (especially after Barara's comment about the "memories" he gave her)
*Cumpa bluffing about the G-Self's "nuke"

If I'm not explaining it well enough, here's a quote I found online:
"The point of Luin is that the opressed can be as much dicks as their opressors; only by 'transcending' the hate for each other (UNDERSTANDING, as /m/ would say) can shit like that stop. Ties into the next point as well.
The point of the war being 'senseless' has to do with discrimination again, in that distance leaves wrong impressions of others. I'm probably not explaining this too well, but the thing is that the point of the Reconguistas is that they see Earth as a paradise but Earthnoids as the filthy barbarians inhabiting that paradise undeservedly.
If there had been more contact by Space and Earth, this misconception would've been cleared up way faster, as Kun Soon realizes at the end of the show, and war could've been avoided.
Ameria, meanwhile, is something else: while the younger characters get along fine, it's the older, adult characters who throw them into a war they have no real investement in."

I hope this clears some of the stuff. :oops: