The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-IV

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Dark Duel

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-I

I predict Lucas's two partners will job pretty hard, followed by Lucas handing the other two a beatdown before Wilfrid and/or Shia pulls out a random trump card - probably the former, and just as probably Trans-Am or something along those lines - for a narrow win.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
AmuroNT1

I dunno if Trans Am will be as much of a trump card as you guys think. At this point, I'm sure most fighters probably expect that if someone is using a Celestial Being-type Gundam model, it's going to pull out Trans Am at some point. It's just become an iconic part of 00, and since the whole point is that these characters are huge Gundam otaku, not recognizing that would be like being shocked to find out that Luke Skywalker has "magic powers".
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
gunform1010

AmuroNT1 wrote:I dunno if Trans Am will be as much of a trump card as you guys think. At this point, I'm sure most fighters probably expect that if someone is using a Celestial Being-type Gundam model, it's going to pull out Trans Am at some point. It's just become an iconic part of 00, and since the whole point is that these characters are huge Gundam otaku, not recognizing that would be like being shocked to find out that Luke Skywalker has "magic powers".
I mean sure, but do they have the means to counter it?
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
YokozunaBulldozer

For now my bet is on Lucas.
Not because I think Gunpla Academy sucks but that glare... that glare...
Also just because Wilfred and pals lose doesnt mean that the possibility of them fighting Sekai and friends is gone in my opinion. So even if Lucas manages to school Celestial Sphere I am not too worried. Of course if Gunpla Academy manages to pull through I would like that as well.
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
gunform1010

YokozunaBulldozer wrote:For now my bet is on Lucas.
That'd be so amazing but... sons of Seiho vs PPSE (despite it being defunct, it still kinda works lol)

YokozunaBulldozer

gunform1010 wrote:
That'd be so amazing but... sons of Seiho vs PPSE (despite it being defunct, it still kinda works lol)
Yeah but after Goukijunya became Piccolo and Lucas gave THAT GLARE my shonen senses were tingling of a possible unexpected loss. Again this is just a hunch so I wont be going all Troy-meets-Levar if I end up being wrong. Regardless I still do want to see Sons of Sekai and Gunpla School get it on like Gravion for a grand finale.
gunform1010

YokozunaBulldozer wrote:
gunform1010 wrote:
Yeah but after Goukijunya became Piccolo and Lucas gave THAT GLARE my shonen senses were tingling of a possible unexpected loss. Again this is just a hunch so I wont be going all Troy-meets-Levar if I end up being wrong. Regardless I still do want to see Sons of Sekai and Gunpla School get it on like Gravion for a grand finale.
You mean Sakai, lol. But that would be an awesome fight, Lucas vs Minato. We can only dream...

gunform1010

Spoiler
Lucas looks at some profiles. He's really wanting to impress Aila in spirit. Sekai's improving with building but says something stupid. Fumina's in disbelief about Sei's gunpla but Yuu reassures her over somethin'. CZIOMMER?!! Minato's hard at work not watching TV. The bar from S1 returns, and Allan's drinking. Adou likes to get swole. TO THE FUTURE FIGHTERS!

Selection was obvious. Lucas is like "ah boo hoo but i'll kick Gunpla Academy's ass" and Shia's like "nuh uh". Minato joins in and Yuuma's pissed. Adou tells Minato and Yuu to shut up. The triplets show up again. Jobbers are watching too.

Granada team gloats. Something about the open tournament. THE FIELD IS A SKY WHAT. The GA team finally fights together.

Crossbow no sells the fangs, but ADOU CAN SPAM, YOU KNOW. -O- Lucas chops the superfang off. Adou has good armor, as he survives Lucas's attack... Wilfrid gets the other members' locations. Granada throws them off somehow... The core fighter of Full Cloth tries to backshoot Shia. The Full Cloth reks the G-Portant. Luckily those things from Hawken help self-repair. Lucas is charging himself when... ok this is some game of chicken.

Adou and Wilfrid try to double team- nope, heel blades. Dead End no selled by I-Field and revovlers jacked. Blades lock btwn Wilfrid and Lucas, Lucas flees for another plan. Lucas is caught, but is bought time at the cost of a teammate's head...

The G-portant makes it and Lucas is surrounded by all three GA members... Adou's damaged and the G-Portant isn't in good shape. With less than two minutes remaining, Wilfrid goes solo! Some burst mode counters sprouts wings, and Wiflrid nicks Lucas.... maybe. Nope... But then yes. What a tease.

Next week is TRYon 3 fight and we get to see Yuu and Minato sceaming at each other one more time.

YokozunaBulldozer

Spoiler
Well my hunch was off but regardless great match.
I thought I saw Daigo and Justin somewhere.
Next episode I will be nerdgasming over the glorious Tryon3.
Gundam420

I'm really losing my patience with this show. After building up Lucas as a complete badass last week, this is the result? Spending most of the episode running away?! Would it have been so hard to simply have him wreck Shia and Saga? It would at least add some excitement and drama. Then have Wilfried beat him. Simple. And when in the ZOINKS did fuel suddenly become a factor?! I thought plavsky particles were already enough to move the gunpla, and now this? I knew the show had budget problems but, this is just desperate. I don't know if I should continue.
PSN: (Japan Account) gundaminator
AmuroNT1

I really can't help but wonder if you were watching an entirely different show, because to me, that fight was fantastic.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Gundam420

Maybe it's just expectations. But I wasn't exactly enthralled by Wilfried talking about how awesome and powerful Lucas is while he's running away from them. Also I wouldn't call getting damaged on the shoulder a critical hit (looking at you Shia).
Last edited by Gundam420 on Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
PSN: (Japan Account) gundaminator
Sulendil Zeta

AmuroNT1 wrote:I really can't help but wonder if you were watching an entirely different show, because to me, that fight was fantastic.
I wishes I have your version of the episode AmuroNT1, because like Gundam420, I find the episode a bit bland. Yes, it's nice to see the Crossbone animated and use all its arsenals in its disposal, but I wishes there is a bit more tension and higher stakes on this fight. It would be more impressive if Lucas can trash at least one of Gunpla Academy's Gunpla, but nope, he had to aim for that G-Portent with (unknown by Lucas) regeneration ability, and render his effort useless.

And man does the scene after the credit cringeworthy. Does any viewer at that point really expect Lucas to win there? Of course Gunpla Academy wins, even if Lucas did somehow manage to break Transient, he would still have to deal with other two mechas with very little time left with a damaged Crossbone. There is no chance he would win there, and the buildup of the (fake imho) suspense is just hit a wrong button in me for some reason.

With Try, the problem is that the characters is just not so interesting and fun for me to root and care for. During S1, we got some characters that are quite likable, like Fellini and Aila, and that makes the fight more enjoyable (although the fight choreography helps too). Compared to Try, the characters feel more bland to me.

On the bright side, next episode should be interesting. Can't wait to see Tryon 3 in action, and the shouting match between Yuuma and Minato. :D
latenlazy

I'm in the "stale fight" camp. The Crossbone looked glorious animated, but if they were really going to make this fight great they should have at least done more with that final exchange than a single sword clash. The stakes also would have also been much higher if Lucas took out both Adou and Shia, especially if they weren't going to be in that last part. He was close to doing that anyways of course, but they should have nailed that one shut, and more impressively. That would have built up Lucas a lot more. It's the problem with the show depending on hype rather than show to make things interesting all over again.
Kuruni

I'm on "great fight" camp. Lucas' hit-and-run tactic is sensible when you're the only ace against three. Only idiot would fight head-on in such situation.
My girlfriend was a loli.
YokozunaBulldozer

Kuruni wrote:I'm on "great fight" camp. Lucas' hit-and-run tactic is sensible when you're the only ace against three. Only idiot would fight head-on in such situation.
What you said.
It was not "the perfect plan" but they worked with what they had.
And they did have them fooled for a while.
Also, that 2:1 where Lucas impales The End with his foot while Blocking Transient was nice.
Rewinded that part 3~4 times too.
Amion

Kuruni wrote:I'm on "great fight" camp. Lucas' hit-and-run tactic is sensible when you're the only ace against three. Only idiot would fight head-on in such situation.
While I agree that the hit-and-run tactic made sense, don't understsnad why we got this sudden issue with Plavzky shortages being a problem. It makes sense in a way, I just wish we could've gotten this at some earlier date, you know? Had someone explain that there's this set amount of particles a given gunpla can have at a given time and it's based probably off the quality of the gunpla.

I have to hand it to the first half of this fight, where CS and Nemesis' team actually operate as teams. Great how the action and quality of it took a sudden rise.

And fall. That last bit was gut-wrenchingly annoying. I don't like being teased when I know the outcome before watching. I agree Lucas beating the other two before losing to Transient would have been preferred.

Still, Lucas went far, and made CS look cool enough for me to care about, so I have to say this episode was a legitimate success. Besides, we all know Lucas is the Champion for the European Block. If (Or when) we get the third cour, Lucas will be at the World Tournament with a team of two more competent teammates, right? Or is all that talk about his titles in Europe pointless?

Minato. I-I'm so sorry! I'm already crying about you losing to that cardboard cut-out and his Not!-Zeta Gundam. *Cries* Oh why couldn't Trion 3 shred apart TRY and Celestial Sphere both? We all know Minato's the best character this side of S1! *Slithers back into lair, sobbing*
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
mobiusdiablo

I honestly think the Lucas fight was great due to actually using intelligence and tactics against three incredibly strong opponents, and even then the Full Cloth with no personalized gimmicks whatsoever was able to fend off both Transient and The End, to the point that the Transient was shot to hell at the end of the match. Hell, if it weren't for the Haro repair drones Shia had, the Portent would be done too.

People are complaining about Sekai just spamming supermoves to win (which I have issues when he pulls them out of his ass) but yet when someone has to use his wits, it's still not entertaining? What do you guys want?

The Plavsky storage has been brought up in the past few episodes but not really explained; in S1 they weren't mentioned at all and I assumed that it just permeated the playing field. I wonder though if it has to do with how well the Gunpla's built but that's for the mecha discussion. As far as I'm concerned though, I'd say the particle storage was likely due to the Crossbone nomming on energy to handle Transient and The End.

On a side not, I think Transient's Burst mode is a reference to the 0 Gundam's GN particle wing effect from the opening of 00, though the trails were a lot thinner.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Lord Dearche

Finally watched the episode.

THIS is what Try needed to be. This battle is the only thing in Try so far that was even remotely close to the real fight in Build Fighters. Overall the episode was the best of Try, partly due to the fact that Sekai and jiggy How? wasn't there to ruin it all.

It used actual tactics like how they'd use in the real season. But there are some complaints as always.

-Lucas was made out to be the greatest threat to anyone, and then he goes down so easily to make the GA look better. He didn't even take out a single unit.

-They constantly kept bringing up the whole particle issue, but not once was the GA ever afflicted with particle usage.

-<3 Shia, easily best girl. But I don't care if it's in the manual description, being able to perfectly repair a unit that's been taken out already is such BS. You're these are freaking cheap plastic toys, not Nanomachines, son.

-Animation. The fight was saldy hardly animated. It spent most of it's battle shots reusing stock footage from Adou and then still shots.

Also.
Try being Try Wilfred will pop out some random super attack to one shot Luacs even though Lucas will have the upper hand for 99% of the match, just to give Wilfred something to counter Sekais magical pyysical quantizing after image BS that shouldn't even exist.

aka, he'll use TRANS-AM probably.
http://i.imgur.com/GS0BuVX.gif
Raikoh

Maybe it's because of lowered expectations, but I kind of liked the fight. It has some major, major problems like the writing making no sense and having no dramatic weight because Gunpla Academy was never in a situation where they were pressured and seemed like they may lose, not to mention that their units were shown to be way superior to the Full Cloth by NOT needing to refuel for five minutes after fighting for thirty seconds despite the end of the very last episode having them state the Full Cloth is supposed to be the strongest Gunpla in the entire freaking tournament. Great continuity.

It's one of those recurring things with Try where a SMALL alteration would have made the fight so much better, since choreography-wise this is closer to what we had in S1, with Lucas using all of his unit's tricks and doing more than just standing static and super spamming (until the end). Just have him wreck Adou and Shia at the start (maybe at the cost of one teammate), have a back-and-forth with Wilfrid where the second teammate is taken out, end up beating or almost beating Wilfrid when Shia's BS recovery wins the day. We can accept the main teams losing a teammate now and again, you know, because otherwise it makes it look like they weren't even challenged...

Speaking of, why DIDN'T they finish off the Portent? They just left it bleeding out instead of shooting it another couple times to be sure?
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE