The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-IV

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
gunform1010

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-I

monster wrote:
YokozunaBulldozer wrote:Personally the way stuff got setup this week I feel like it will be one ep of GA vs Granada, one ep of TRY Fighters vs Build Busters, then two final eps of TRY Fighters vs Lucas. Just my speculation.
So you think Lucas will actually beat Gunpla Academy? I would actually like that, but with all the rivalries being set up, I doubt that would happen.
No, b/c that would ruin the set up as you said it would. The sons of Seiho and PPSE must face off.

Something I'm worried about- ultimately the RG Core Duplicates may take down Minato and co. No, Yuuma should get a chance to take down Minato, but that might be asking too much if he's supposed to get revenge on Adou.

Speak of which, HA. Adou's still the jerkbutt who took down Yuuma two years ago.
Last edited by gunform1010 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
YokozunaBulldozer

gunform1010 wrote:
monster wrote:
YokozunaBulldozer wrote:Personally the way stuff got setup this week I feel like it will be one ep of GA vs Granada, one ep of TRY Fighters vs Build Busters, then two final eps of TRY Fighters vs Lucas. Just my speculation.
So you think Lucas will actually beat Gunpla Academy? I would actually like that, but with all the rivalries being set up, I doubt that would happen.
No, b/c that would ruin the set up as you said it would. The sons of Seiho and PPSE must face off.
Yeah but that glare....that piercing glare...
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
gunform1010

YokozunaBulldozer wrote:
gunform1010 wrote: No, b/c that would ruin the set up as you said it would. The sons of Seiho and PPSE must face off.
Can Yuuma survive and humble Minato? :D

YokozunaBulldozer

gunform1010 wrote:
YokozunaBulldozer wrote:
gunform1010 wrote: No, b/c that would ruin the set up as you said it would. The sons of Seiho and PPSE must face off.
Can Yuuma survive and humble Minato? :D
He probably would challenge Yuuma again like team rocket. Again. And again. And again. They probably will maintain their Deadpool and Cable-like relationship.
BrentD15

This is either the new SEED Destiny, or the new AGE.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
latenlazy

Haven't seen episode yet, but let's not get hyperbolic about Try wrt to other series.
domtropen

IMHO still far better than Age and destiny.

Since Sekai can shoot out a big phoenix instead of just a shapeless fireball [and shown to be able to adjust the size and power of the said phoenix quite soon after] and Junya can make plasky hair and blade, why would it be out of expectation for Sekai to be able to do something else with plasky particle thingy [that is known to be affected since S1 by mind and emotion]? Also it was shown a few times already that Sekai practiced a lot in order to move and fight well with Build Burning, not just go partying and fooling around till the match. And how can people expect him, who just learn about gunpla for a few months, to be able to make high-level gunpla [just the Zaku trio level] in such a short time?

Btw in this episode does the white Zaku fire bullets or beam at Crossbone Fullcloth?
Bryant Molirse

I enjoyed the episode.
WARNING!!! I EDIT My posts in the image threads if there is NO NEW REPLIES!!
gunform1010

domtropen wrote:IMHO still far better than Age and destiny.

Since Sekai can shoot out a big phoenix instead of just a shapeless fireball [and shown to be able to adjust the size and power of the said phoenix quite soon after] and Junya can make plasky hair and blade, why would it be out of expectation for Sekai to be able to do something else with plasky particle thingy [that is known to be affected since S1 by mind and emotion]? Also it was shown a few times already that Sekai practiced a lot in order to move and fight well with Build Burning, not just go partying and fooling around till the match. And how can people expect him, who just learn about gunpla for a few months, to be able to make high-level gunpla [just the Zaku trio level] in such a short time?

Btw in this episode does the white Zaku fire bullets or beam at Crossbone Fullcloth?
People are pissed b/c they don't think Sekai lives up to the "2nd Coming of Reiji" hype. And to be honest, this may be true: Reiji had a whole bunch of attacks covering different ranges and he wasn't quite into Gunpla Battle as Sekai was.

Plus the Jigen Haoh School Finishers got repetitive and Sekai's had one too many self-induced deus ex machina. As you can tell from my icon though, I'm the only one that likes these impossible acts. D:

And to answer your side question, those were beams. Otherwise Matsunaga wouldn't flip out, as the I-Field is meant to absorb beams.
Last edited by gunform1010 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

balofo

Reiji and Sei were both unlikable, as was Mao.

Fellini and Yuuki saved the show
gunform1010

balofo wrote:Reiji and Sei were both unlikable, as was Mao.

Get out of here. Everyone knows Aila was the best character of S1. 8)

Man, I like the episode 18 and 20 versions of the Build Fighters? Very gentle buildup music compared to thrilling all-out feel of the original. Where can I get that err... "underscore" (I think?) version?

YokozunaBulldozer

gunform1010 wrote:

Man, I like the episode 18 and 20 versions of the Build Fighters? Very gentle buildup music compared to thrilling all-out feel of the original. Where can I get that err... "underscore" (I think?) version?
Let us all admit that it was Ral and his itchy butt that saved the show how about that. :mrgreen:
zetatype

Honestly I think Try's biggest problem isn't the asspulls, which quite frankly don't bother me, its that most of the rivals aren't interesting.

The reason for this is that there are too many rivals fighting for what limited screen time there is. Most of Try's opponents that showed up at the beginning of the season were pretty much side lined and restricted to token appearances by the halfway mark. Other opponents like Toshiya and Junya don't show up until the halfway mark and don't get any development until it was their turn to fight the protagonists in the tournament. Most of these rivals just come and go without leaving a worth while impression.

Most of S1's rivals by comparison were much more fun and interesting because the show gave them time to show off their personalities and form friendships/rivalries with the Sei and Reiji. So when it was their turn to face them in the tournament the battles had much more meaning and weight to them (Fellini vs Sei and Reiji).

As for today's episode

It was ok. While most of the fight was rather meh I really did enjoy Sekai's new attack at the end. Sure its an asspull but it was a magnificent asspull. However, i feel like Junya's arc was lacking despite the episode trying to make a big deal out of him, and this is because of what I mentioned earlier. He gets only half an episode of back story before his big fight with Sekai and the we're suppose treat it like its a big deal. With very little build up this fight comes off as a small stepping stone for Sekai rather than something more significant. Oh well, nice insert song.
BrentD15 wrote:This is either the new SEED Destiny, or the new AGE.
Nah, despite what I've about Try I still find it entertaining. Try would have to intentionally sabotage itself to come even close to Destiny and AGE. With shonen fighting tournament shows like Try I don't demand much, just some decent action with some good music and I'm happy. Hell if it wasn't for the fact that I was pleasantly surprised by S1's quality I probably wouldn't have even been bothered by Try's flaws. Shows like Destiny and AGE however I expect a lot more.
Last edited by zetatype on Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
gunform1010

YokozunaBulldozer wrote:
gunform1010 wrote:

Let us all admit that it was Ral and his itchy butt that saved the show how about that. :mrgreen:
Sei: Yuuma, did you also get hemmo-
Yuuma and Ral: NOOOOO!

Strike Zero

If Lucas were to actually beat the Gunpla Academy, that would be a genuinely exciting twist, but we all know how that's actually going to go.

This was a decent ep. The only moment that really bugged me with was the pointless post-fight flashback, in which they showcased Sekai's entire final attack again. When it comes to time-wasters, you can't get much more blatant than that.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
killmikekill

I wish Lucas' team mates had the X-2 and the X-3 when they fought the Gunpla Academy. That would be pretty sweet to see the gundams from Crossbone fight. I can't wait to see the Fullcloth X-1 in action. I can only imagine how good of a gunpla it is.
latenlazy

Finally watched. This episode was almost good, except for the fact that Junya's story could have used a lot more development and setup earlier on, there was far too much filler dialogue and animation, the fight coreography was kinda clumsy in parts, and they really sucked at time management. Maybe they're running low on budget or didn't have time to storyboard the rest of Gabai's fight, but whatever the case its only highlighting earlier criticisms some of us have had for this series.
Brave Fencer Kirby

zetatype wrote:Honestly I think Try's biggest problem isn't the asspulls, which quite frankly don't bother me, its that most of the rivals aren't interesting.
It's both, really. That, and the fact that outcome of every battle is completely predictable because of the way they've built up the rivalries. I don't think anyone actually expected Junya to beat Sekai, because he'd been set up as the evil version of Sekai (or, well, the jerk version at least) so of course Sekai has to beat him to prove his philosophy superior. Similarly, we still haven't settled Fumina's rivalry with Shia or Yuuma's with Adou (or Sekai's with Wilfred, for that matter, though that's been given less attention), so the chances of Lucas beating the Gunpla Academy before they face Team Try Fighters is basically zero.

Junya also had no development beyond "older, jerkier Sekai", so it's hard to care about him. We don't even know why he turned evil, even -- okay, he wanted to grow stronger and the Jigen Haoh master wouldn't teach him the school's ultimate techniques (which according to Mirai don't actually exist anyway?), so he got bitter and left. But we don't know why he's so obsessed with strength in the first place, or why he was deemed unworthy of Jigen Haoh's secrets, or how he got from martial arts to Gunpla Battle, or anything about him really, other than he became a jerk after being denied the ultimate secrets of Jigen Haoh school -- and even that little development came pretty much entirely in his two focus episodes, while he was battling and well after he was introduced, which just comes across as too little too late. If you want us to care about the battle, you need to do it before the battle starts.

Plus, Sekai's win came completely out of nowhere. There was no build up, no foreshadowing, no hints or suggestions. He just pulled a (second!) ultimate technique out of nowhere because the plot required it. I could accept that if he'd been shown to be experimenting with different things he could do or if there'd been some discussion between him and his teammates (and maybe people like Ral or the Meijins) about the nature of his Phoenix Death Punch and other ways he could use that ability. But none of that actually happened. Instead, we're shown that Junya is clearly the better fighter, until suddenly he's vaporized by plothax. There's no sense that Sekai earned that win. He was losing, badly, until he suddenly learns a (complicated and complex!) new technique out of nowhere and wins with it. It's emotionally unsatisfying.

There's also the fact that they haven't made very good use of the 3v3 format. It would have been a much more satisfying end to that fight if Sekai won with Fumina and Yuuma's help, instead of them standing around watching because they believe in the power of Sekai's plot armor. You could even spin it as Sekai being stronger because he has friends that add to his strength, where Junya has forsaken his friends for the sake of his own power, which ironically leaves him less powerful. Seriously though, how many times have we actually seen teams fighting as teams, instead of just having three 1v1 fights going on simultaneously? (When someone's not going 1v3 to prove what a badass they are, that is.) If you're not going to use GBF's format of having a fighter/builder team (which was actually a new and interesting dynamic in the Gundam series -- there's never been a regular "backseater" role in any Gundam show I'm aware of), then at least make use of the 3v3 team format you've set up. Instead, we get increasingly strained excuses to focus on 1v1 battles within the 3v3 format. There's some teamwork in some battles (the Try Fighters worked together somewhat to defeat the SD Hydra, for instance) but there hasn't been any focus on it at all since Fumina stopped using the Winning Gundam as booster parts. Why bother changing the show format and ditch part of what made the original interesting if you're not going to use the new format for all it's worth?
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
Amion

I'm suspicious that the idea to make the battles 3 on 3 was a decision the actual storyboard didn't have any say on or didn't really want. They really blew it with the way teams don't fight together, almost like they're putting six people on the field when they absolutely have to. Even Shia's fight ends up as a 1 vs 1 that attempts to do what Aila and others did in S1. It makes sense to me that at least some of the people in animation/storboard were never quite on board with the ultimate choice of triple battles.

And on the note of mass negativity about TRY's failures....

Who's ready for the second season? :twisted: Cuz we know there's a chance of it if the gunpla's been selling.

What's the status on ratings nowadays? I haven't heard anything in a while on here about the Japanese reception.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Kyuzo Aoi

I think Shinn Asuka's, ehem, Wilfrid's team would win but it would be a very hard one.

Also, the shot where Akira is revealed to have got his license on the last two days amuses me a lot.
I am a Gundam!