The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-IV

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.

Moderators: ShadowCell, EZero8

Locked
User avatar
Kuruni
Posts: 2893
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:43 am
Location: sitting next to a yandere loli
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-I

Post by Kuruni » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:35 pm

That's mismatch, you're comparing "character debut" fight to "plot advancing" fight, why not compare it to final battle?

The equivalent to Great K vs Shia is Greco vs Nils. And compare to that, Shia's fighting style show a lot more skill than Nils back then.
Last edited by Kuruni on Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My girlfriend was a loli.

User avatar
AmuroNT1
Posts: 3691
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:41 am
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-I

Post by AmuroNT1 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:42 pm

Raikoh wrote:Also, people have realized something interesting
Spoiler
Show
Fumina is ending up doing the same thing Sazaki tried to do in S1 (before he got good and became a world class fighter in his own right), by latching onto absurdly broken builders/fighters and not doing anything of note but reaping rewards - in this case, Lady Kawaguchi candidate. Obviously neither side of the fourth wall is likely to notice this, but it's an interesting implication, isn't it?
This isn't a "realization", it's an incredibly cynical and dismissive view of the show and an insult to Fumina as a builder, fighter, AND character.

I don't really see the problem with the multi-year champion Gunpla Academy stomping a character who had specifically been set up for comedic purposes over the last five or so episodes. It would be like if the first season had pitted Meijin against Reiner; you KNOW how it's going to go from the outset. If Wilfred and Adou had launched it'd only have been even more one-sided.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power

User avatar
balofo
Posts: 2459
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:45 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-I

Post by balofo » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:49 pm

My speculation on the remaining eps.

ep 18 is the Lucas/Junya debut. Sekai's training before the Junya fight, maybe his master appears
ep 19 is the Junya fight
ep 20 is the remaining quarters for Minato, Academy and Lucas VS Zaku Losers
ep 21 is filler before the semis, maybe Sei appears to repair Try Burning here
ep 22 is Try VS Minato
ep 23 is Academy VS Lucas
ep 24 is filler before the finals
ep 25 is the finals

User avatar
Lord Dearche
Posts: 386
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:12 am

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-I

Post by Lord Dearche » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:41 pm

Did you even watch the fight? Fellini had her on the ropes until she was forced into using the system. He easily knew of and disposed of all her clear funnels. It wasn't some one sided fight. And he could have taken her out in the end if it wasn't for Kirara. Which was moot beacuse he made an entirely different unit a week later.

EDIT:Last post was towards the one on the last page.

User avatar
gunform1010
Posts: 815
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:29 am

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-I

Post by gunform1010 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:45 pm

Ah c'mon you guys know had Aila not been distracted by the agonizing prospect of fighting Reiji she would have curbstomped Fellini rather easily.

Even though Fellini knew all her moves her super reflexes would have still trounced Fellini under normal circumstances.

Moving on, I'm not getting why Wilfrid would be able to get away with the forcing of the "Butterfly Solo Stunt". Can the judges allow such a thing? If not, were they simply not able to tell that Wilfrid was forcing Shia to go solo? And why not send all units in coordination with the untested Gunpla? Punishment for being a sassy little sister isn't the best reason to pull this stunt in a tourney.

Next time hopefully smells of a battle worth watching, but let's hope it matches with the Kampfer Amazing vs GM Sniper K9 fight.
Last edited by gunform1010 on Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works

User avatar
Arbiter GUNDAM
Posts: 2905
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:36 pm
Location: Cruisin' the Universe w/Spaceman Spiff!!!
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-I

Post by Arbiter GUNDAM » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:58 pm

Hmm, I don't think so. Fellini is an excellent fighter and clearly had plans in place for Aila's tricks. It certainly would have been a difficult fight but not easy one either.


Things to say about the current episode---

1. Once again, TRY's humour falls flat on its face. Why is everyone so shocked by the Tryon 3? It can't be the first combining Gunpla people have seen, in fact I know it isn't. Is Super Sentai not made in Japan by the late 2030s or something? tl;dr my opinion of Minato has improved considerably

2. Also falls flat with rivals. Only a few of them are worth a darn and now Shimon and Gyanko have been reduced to cheerleaders. Kei loses like the loser he is; what was even the point of him? I don't give even two damns. Why? Because he was introduced late and has received almost zero exposition. I doubt I'm going to care much about Junya either. He's shaping up to be the Ultimate Vagan Pilot of this series.

3. I might argue in favor of Shia's victory being a little too easy but it gave me such a dark rush of pleasure to see her Gunpla tearing apart that piece of Gundam AGE crap that I fear I'm becoming a supervillain. Mwahahahaha! :D
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion

User avatar
kayone73
Posts: 378
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:36 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-I

Post by kayone73 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:03 pm

balofo wrote:My speculation on the remaining eps.

ep 18 is the Lucas/Junya debut. Sekai's training before the Junya fight, maybe his master appears
ep 19 is the Junya fight
ep 20 is the remaining quarters for Minato, Academy and Lucas VS Zaku Losers
ep 21 is filler before the semis, maybe Sei appears to repair Try Burning here
ep 22 is Try VS Minato
ep 23 is Academy VS Lucas
ep 24 is filler before the finals
ep 25 is the finals
Yiur prediction only seems to leave room for the Japan national tournament. What about the world tournament?

User avatar
gunform1010
Posts: 815
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:29 am

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-I

Post by gunform1010 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:05 pm

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Hmm, I don't think so. Fellini is an excellent fighter and clearly had plans in place for Aila's tricks. It certainly would have been a difficult fight but not easy one either.


Things to say about the current episode---

1. Once again, TRY's humour falls flat on its face. Why is everyone so shocked by the Tryon 3? It can't be the first combining Gunpla people have seen, in fact I know it isn't. Is Super Sentai not made in Japan by the late 2030s or something? tl;dr my opinion of Minato has improved considerably

2. Also falls flat with rivals. Only a few of them are worth a darn and now Shimon and Gyanko have been reduced to cheerleaders. Kei loses like the loser he is; what was even the point of him? I don't give even two damns. Why? Because he was introduced late and has received almost zero exposition. I doubt I'm going to care much about Junya either. He's shaping up to be the Ultimate Vagan Pilot of this series.

3. I might argue in favor of Shia's victory being a little too easy but it gave me such a dark rush of pleasure to see her Gunpla tearing apart that piece of Gundam AGE crap that I fear I'm becoming a supervillain. Mwahahahaha! :D
Pfft, if you say so for the Fellini vs Aila debacle.

1. I'd think it's b/c it's so unnecessarily super robot esque. Not that that stops out-of-universe people from loving the Tryon3.
Heck, if I had the chance to in the GBF universe, my team would bring in the Ideon. AHAHAHAAHAHAHA :twisted:
2.I'm hoping for a Gunpla Eve-ish episode if we don't get the explosive finale of last season (unlikely we'll get another Plavsky leak) to see the R-Gyagya and Shimon's 1st customized Gunpla.
3.The Chinned Butterfly is beautiful.
kayone73 wrote:
balofo wrote:My speculation on the remaining eps.

ep 18 is the Lucas/Junya debut. Sekai's training before the Junya fight, maybe his master appears
ep 19 is the Junya fight
ep 20 is the remaining quarters for Minato, Academy and Lucas VS Zaku Losers
ep 21 is filler before the semis, maybe Sei appears to repair Try Burning here
ep 22 is Try VS Minato
ep 23 is Academy VS Lucas
ep 24 is filler before the finals
ep 25 is the finals
Your prediction only seems to leave room for the Japan national tournament. What about the world tournament?
The endgame of the series has always been the Japan Nationals from the getgo. If we get a third season of them participating in the world tournament though that'd be Ameijin.

Does anyone else hate the fact the OP had extra sounds inserted into it?
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works

User avatar
Lord Dearche
Posts: 386
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:12 am

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-I

Post by Lord Dearche » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:26 pm

The issue with Tryon 3 isn't that its a combiner, but that it turned into an awesome ZOINKS super robot, complete with dramatic intro, AND a title card. And it wasn't just for the sake of the show, Minato some how literally caused a Title Card and pose to happen in the actual fight.

http://i.imgur.com/Fv8Agqx.jpg

Even the Mejin was at a loss for words and had to think of something up quick.

As to K, there was never any point to him. People made a deal out of him because he was voiced by Sugita, but since day one he was literally nothing but a joke character who was there to jobb.

And yeah, this show is specifically about the Japan U-19 tournament, there was never going to be a world tournament at all. If there is a third season, I dount we'll see much of team Try Fighters specifically. Since Try in general has been pretty poorly received due to the changes from S1. (Going from fun show with logic to some degree to a generic shounen cliche filled with tropes).

User avatar
gunform1010
Posts: 815
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:29 am

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-I

Post by gunform1010 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:29 pm

Lord Dearche wrote:The issue with Tryon 3 isn't that its a combiner, but that it turned into an awesome ZOINKS super robot, complete with dramatic intro, AND a title card. And it wasn't just for the sake of the show, Minato some how literally caused a Title Card and pose to happen in the actual fight.

http://i.imgur.com/Fv8Agqx.jpg

Even the Mejin was at a loss for words and had to think of something up quick.

As to K, there was never any point to him. People made a deal out of him because he was voiced by Sugita, but since day one he was literally nothing but a joke character who was there to jobb.

And yeah, this show is specifically about the Japan U-19 tournament, there was never going to be a world tournament at all. If there is a third season, I dount we'll see much of team Try Fighters specifically. Since Try in general has been pretty poorly received due to the changes from S1. (Going from fun show with logic to some degree to a generic shounen cliche filled with tropes).
Wouldn't the key audience though be in Japan? What do the Japanese think?

And we still don't get how the camera works for these tourneys...
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works

User avatar
BrentD15
Posts: 890
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:36 am

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-I

Post by BrentD15 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:45 pm

I'm starting to hate the fact that my work schedule is forcing me to miss the discussions.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25

User avatar
gunform1010
Posts: 815
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:29 am

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-I

Post by gunform1010 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:50 pm

BrentD15 wrote:I'm starting to hate the fact that my work schedule is forcing me to miss the discussions.
That's better than losing sleep over watching it twice.
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works

User avatar
Amion
Posts: 2163
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:43 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-I

Post by Amion » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:55 pm

BrentD15 wrote:I'm starting to hate the fact that my work schedule is forcing me to miss the discussions.
I feel your pain today, BrentD. I ended up without internet access.

Anyway, I for one don't want to see a third season. If it's in the works, I really hope they alter it so the writing is better. The TRY fighters are so poorly developed that they can still be considered clean slates, if with a bit of grey in them. Still, it'd be better if they ended the show with as much grace as possible, rather than continue with it.

After all, rumor has it that a certain frozen tear will be the primary focus of 2015's Fall season.... :twisted: (Just kidding, I'm not trying to give that rumor support. Believe me)
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.

monster
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:45 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-I

Post by monster » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:57 pm

BrentD15 wrote:I'm starting to hate the fact that my work schedule is forcing me to miss the discussions.
Hey, I feel for you, but you've repeated this line of comment for several weeks now. My goodness, enough is enough. :) :twisted:

User avatar
gunform1010
Posts: 815
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:29 am

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-I

Post by gunform1010 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:58 pm

Amion wrote:
BrentD15 wrote:I'm starting to hate the fact that my work schedule is forcing me to miss the discussions.
I feel your pain today, BrentD. I ended up without internet access.

Anyway, I for one don't want to see a third season. If it's in the works, I really hope they alter it so the writing is better. The TRY fighters are so poorly developed that they can still be considered clean slates, if with a bit of grey in them. Still, it'd be better if they ended the show with as much grace as possible, rather than continue with it.

After all, rumor has it that a certain frozen tear will be the primary focus of 2015's Fall season.... :twisted: (Just kidding, I'm not trying to give that rumor support. Believe me)
Everyone just wants Reiji to fulfill his promise to Sei from S1, I'm sure. An OVA of the ensuing reunion and rematch should suffice.
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works

User avatar
BrentD15
Posts: 890
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:36 am

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-I

Post by BrentD15 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:00 pm

gunform1010 wrote:
Amion wrote:
BrentD15 wrote:I'm starting to hate the fact that my work schedule is forcing me to miss the discussions.
I feel your pain today, BrentD. I ended up without internet access.

Anyway, I for one don't want to see a third season. If it's in the works, I really hope they alter it so the writing is better. The TRY fighters are so poorly developed that they can still be considered clean slates, if with a bit of grey in them. Still, it'd be better if they ended the show with as much grace as possible, rather than continue with it.

After all, rumor has it that a certain frozen tear will be the primary focus of 2015's Fall season.... :twisted: (Just kidding, I'm not trying to give that rumor support. Believe me)
Everyone just wants Reiji to fulfill his promise to Sei from S1, I'm sure. An OVA of the ensuing reunion and rematch should suffice.
Yeah, same here.
I also want to see Gyanko's new gunpla she was supposed to be developing, but I'm pretty sure it's been dropped at this point since she's been demoted to cute cheerleader.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25

User avatar
YokozunaBulldozer
Posts: 692
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-I

Post by YokozunaBulldozer » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:34 pm

Personally the reason and joy of watching TRY for myself is
1. Hunt for easter eggs that are references or homages of other Gundam stories and other Sunrise works be it obvious or subtle
2. Whatever Obari works on
3. Anticipating the ridiculous and silly gunplas that are not restricted to the conventional mobile suit format/design

As long as the three above are met I am one happy camper and probably why I dont care anymore of what the outcome will be for the show and just enjoy it regardless since Tryon3 is the moonlightbutterflywinsall for me. All I need now is the high grade kit for it.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER

User avatar
Lord Dearche
Posts: 386
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:12 am

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-I

Post by Lord Dearche » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:01 pm

Gyanko can't be the cute cheerleader, She has to actually be cute to fit that role. Shinon probably fits the role more as the genki clutz who's always getting hurt in the exact same spot on his face.

Also no one mentioned this but, Sei clearly saw their match, which means he clearly saw the Try Harder Build Bunnny in action. And had no comments about it at all.

Third season will take place in Mashita and Reiji's world after he rebuilds his Gunpla battle empire with the help of his cosplaying waifu.

User avatar
kayone73
Posts: 378
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:36 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-I

Post by kayone73 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:17 pm

gunform1010 wrote:
The endgame of the series has always been the Japan Nationals from the getgo. If we get a third season of them participating in the world tournament though that'd be Ameijin.

Does anyone else hate the fact the OP had extra sounds inserted into it?
That's dissapointing and pretty weak

User avatar
AmuroNT1
Posts: 3691
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:41 am
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-I

Post by AmuroNT1 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:28 pm

@ Arbiter: I think the whole point with Tryon 3's intro was just how insanely over-the-top it was, with Minato shouting at the top of his lungs the whole way through and all the dynamic posing and such. Yeah sure, Super Robots obviously exist in BF's world (otherwise what was Minato's inspiration?), but I don't think people are used to that kind of overt display of classic SR goofiness in Gunpla Battle.

I still think the biggest flaw with Try is the fact that it needed more than 25 episodes. This kind of story really needs a lot of time to flesh out the different characters; for the original BF it wasn't so bad, but the 3-on-3 format has proven to be a double-edged sword. On the one hand we've had a lot of characters introduced who are pretty cool and probably wouldn't have been in the show if they'd stuck with the 1-on-1 format. On the other, character development time is getting stretched pretty thin even before you factor in things like battles and digressions for comedic beats. Keeping things focused on a national tournament rather than going all the way to the World Championship helps a bit, though.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power

Locked