The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
latenlazy

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk I

domtropen wrote:Besides, how many grappling moves can that G-fighter really do with the movement range of just two arms anyway? And not to mention his grap and crush is not working anymore since Sekai can counter it and destroy the crushing tracks already. Plus Sekai does know how to grapple like the arm lock during his fight with Destiny Gundam earlier.
Which is the bigger critique with this episode IMO. They set up Notsleggar to either have some kind of big reveal or at least do some significant martial artsy things to make Sekai's life difficult, and that gets mostly papered over this episode. It could just be that they wanted to establish that Notsleggar was a serious guy, but if that were the case I'm not sure pointing out that he employs some principles of martial arts would be the way to do it, and even then making him Mr. Serious didn't really surmount to much in the end.
Strike Zero

When it comes to Suga, the guy is still a bit of a mystery, because they've yet to reveal how he even knew what Jigen Haoh-ryu is. By Sekai's own admission, it's a highly obscure martial arts style, yet Suga knew enough about it that he was able to counter it, at least for a brief while. Makes one wonder...
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
latenlazy

Strike Zero wrote:When it comes to Suga, the guy is still a bit of a mystery, because they've yet to reveal how he even knew what Jigen Haoh-ryu is. By Sekai's own admission, it's a highly obscure martial arts style, yet Suga knew enough about it that he was able to counter it, at least for a brief while. Makes one wonder...
And I'm sure they'll reveal how Suga knows about Jigen Haoh later. The problem I'm identifying is that they kinda set up a confrontation between Suga and Sekai that doesn't really play out. For all the hype Suga doesn't really do anything noteworthy that was specific to this threat of "Jigen Haoh won't work on me".
AmuroNT1

But they DID play it out. Firstly we saw Suga counter one of Sekai's moves and put him in a hammerlock; Sekai managed to escape using a basic tactic to break that kind of hold. Then Sekai managed to turn it back against Suga by calling one attack, making him get ready to counter it, and then throwing out an entirely different one before he could react.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
latenlazy

AmuroNT1 wrote:But they DID play it out. Firstly we saw Suga counter one of Sekai's moves and put him in a hammerlock; Sekai managed to escape using a basic tactic to break that kind of hold. Then Sekai managed to turn it back against Suga by calling one attack, making him get ready to counter it, and then throwing out an entirely different one before he could react.
So...in other words Jigen Haoh didn't seem to have any problems...despite the claim? I guess you may have seen that fight differently, but I thought they were setting expectations up for more than what we got...
Strike Zero

One important thing to consider is that Suga made the mistake of demonstrating his technique against Keiko. Like Domon before him, one look beforehand was all Sekai needed in order to formulate a way to counter it.
latenlazy

Strike Zero wrote:One important thing to consider is that Suga made the mistake of demonstrating his technique against Keiko. Like Domon before him, one look beforehand was all Sekai needed in order to formulate a way to counter it.
But that's why I think the hype was mishandled. For the audience, that was just a single move. It's hard to lend credibility to the idea that you have a counter to an entire school of martial arts with a single move.
Strike Zero

Frankly, I didn't feel like his prowess was hyped to the extent you thought it was. All he said was, "Jigen Haoh-ryu won't work on me." Meaning, Sekai normal mode of fighting wouldn't be as effective. And in the end, that was true -- he could block basic grappling moves using the G-Bombers arms, and was able to recognize Sekai's special techniques. His downfall came when Sekai threw him off by starting one move, then suddenly switching into another, leaving him no time to react.

What it comes down to, he was simply overconfident. Note the utterly flabbergasted look on his face when Sekai managed to block his bombardment of Big Zam bullets.
latenlazy

Strike Zero wrote:Frankly, I didn't feel like his prowess was hyped to the extent you thought it was. All he said was, "Jigen Haoh-ryu won't work on me." Meaning, Sekai normal mode of fighting wouldn't be as effective. And in the end, that was true -- he could block basic grappling moves using the G-Bombers arms, and was able to recognize Sekai's special techniques. His downfall came when Sekai threw him off by starting one move, then suddenly switching into another, leaving him no time to react.

What it comes down to, he was simply overconfident. Note the utterly flabbergasted look on his face when Sekai managed to block his bombardment of Big Zam bullets.
And I feel like nearly every one of his scenes has been about hype, from "Ohh he came from the Gunpla Academy" to "Ohhh he crushed the Neo Zeong" to "Jigen Haoh won't work on me!" to Alan going "he transferred to that school?" to "surprise G-Bomber arms!" to "He's a serious guy!". I think I'll leave it at that. I thought the episode was entertaining enough, but there were a lot of things I still take issue with.
Strike Zero

Well, one thing I will say the show could have done better was handling the way they hyped him up, because looking back, none of the stuff you just mentioned made much of an impact on me. Not in the same way Aila using a Jegan to stomp a Devil Gundam did last season. For the most part, the show relied on second-hand info to let us know that Suga was great.

Sure, he destroyed the Zeong guy's Gunpla, but we didn't actually get to see how he did it, so we just had to take their word for it that it was super awesome. We finally get to see him in action against Team Song Vase, but all he got to do was defeat Keiko, who is nowhere near Sekai's level.

So, yeah, I didn't feel that Suda's straightforward defeat was so disappointing, because we didn't get to see enough of him enough beforehand to let me feel that.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying all of this is horrible -- he's still a cool guy, and his showing with Yomi during the second half of the battle more than made up for anything that might have been previously lacking.
latenlazy

Strike Zero wrote:Well, one thing I will say the show could have done better was handling the way they hyped him up, because looking back, none of the stuff you just mentioned made much of an impact on me. Not in the same way Aila using a Jegan to stomp a Devil Gundam did last season. For the most part, the show relied on second-hand info to let us know that Suga was great.

Sure, he destroyed the Zeong guy's Gunpla, but we didn't actually get to see how he did it, so we just had to take their word for it that it was super awesome. We finally get to see him in action against Team Song Vase, but all he got to do was defeat Keiko, who is nowhere near Sekai's level.

So, yeah, I didn't feel that Suda's straightforward defeat was so disappointing, because we didn't get to see enough of him enough beforehand to let me feel that.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying all of this is horrible -- he's still a cool guy, and his showing with Yomi during the second half of the battle more than made up for anything that might have been previously lacking.
So the way I interpreted the use of second hand information was that they were setting up for a big reveal/surprise, which we didn't really get, which is why I thought the hype under-delivered. We could just be seeing the same problem from opposite directions.
Strike Zero

If you ask me, the "big reveal" you speak of came in the wake of his off-screen defeat of the Zeo Zeong, when we found out that he uses a G-Fighter with arms (which got me really going, I might add, that's not something you see every day). I suppose they could have taken it a step further and had him doing all sorts of zero-g kung-fu with it, which would have been nuts.

But, as I mentioned before, it's not as though the build up didn't lend itself to what we got, given how minimal it was.
latenlazy

Strike Zero wrote: But, as I mentioned before, it's not as though the build up didn't lend itself to what we got, given how minimal it was.
And that's where we disagree I guess. I didn't find the build up to be minimal at all.
Raikoh

latenlazy wrote:
Strike Zero wrote: But, as I mentioned before, it's not as though the build up didn't lend itself to what we got, given how minimal it was.
And that's where we disagree I guess. I didn't find the build up to be minimal at all.
The problem isn't with the build-up, I think. It's that this has been done at least three or four times in Try alone where a team is built up, dispatched of in a single episode with very few problems outside of getting past their initial gimmick (Team Dragonar's lack of a Plan B, Angelfish not being in the pool, etc.) and with very few exceptions they completely lose any presence after they're defeated. It's a case of Monster of the Week but they're drawing out the establishment of the characters over multiple weeks. Outside of Gyanko and maybe Shimon, none of these guys are really going to be recurring characters from the looks of things, so why even bother going into so much detail building them up?

It's like how they established that Shimon was a boxer, but he barely used any boxing technique or tactics. Just like how they established that Suga is a grappler, but he only had one plan that involved his grappling and Sekai broke out of it with no issues, after which Suga abandoned his CQC options.

There's a reason that the original Build Fighters had the preliminaries (even in the World Tournament!) mostly filled with cannon fodder who were just fun cameos of past characters like Jamil. Suga's sort of like if they took the Jamil from S1, spent two episodes establishing him and building him up as a major threat, and then took him out as anticlimactically as they did in-canon.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
latenlazy

Raikoh wrote:
latenlazy wrote:
The problem isn't with the build-up, I think. It's that this has been done at least three or four times in Try alone where a team is built up, dispatched of in a single episode with very few problems outside of getting past their initial gimmick (Team Dragonar's lack of a Plan B, Angelfish not being in the pool, etc.) and with very few exceptions they completely lose any presence after they're defeated. It's a case of Monster of the Week but they're drawing out the establishment of the characters over multiple weeks. Outside of Gyanko and maybe Shimon, none of these guys are really going to be recurring characters from the looks of things, so why even bother going into so much detail building them up?

It's like how they established that Shimon was a boxer, but he barely used any boxing technique or tactics. Just like how they established that Suga is a grappler, but he only had one plan that involved his grappling and Sekai broke out of it with no issues, after which Suga abandoned his CQC options.

There's a reason that the original Build Fighters had the preliminaries (even in the World Tournament!) mostly filled with cannon fodder who were just fun cameos of past characters like Jamil. Suga's sort of like if they took the Jamil from S1, spent two episodes establishing him and building him up as a major threat, and then took him out as anticlimactically as they did in-canon.
Agreed! Would have brought these points up too, but I already swore I'd stop talking about my problems with character development in Try :lol:
monster

Strike Zero wrote:When it comes to Suga, the guy is still a bit of a mystery, because they've yet to reveal how he even knew what Jigen Haoh-ryu is. By Sekai's own admission, it's a highly obscure martial arts style, yet Suga knew enough about it that he was able to counter it, at least for a brief while. Makes one wonder...
There's nothing mysterious about it. Sekai keeps yelling out his moves, including the name of the school of martial art to which they belong.
HellCat

Sekai is a broken character. It's apparently wrong for him to just go charging in but it always wins out in the end.

Go look at BF. They were all friends but Yuuki was still the rival that Sei and Reiji wanted a decisive victory against throughout the entire show. It kept tension and was part of why we wanted to see them make it through rounds.

Sekai has smacked down everyone and it has become boring. You need to give your hero a challenge or there's nothing to engage with. We have a character who both graduated from Gunpla Academy and is a skilled martial artist....why have them defeated the episode after their threat to Sekai was established? There are ways you could have given Try Fighters this win without having to steamroll the other side.

Again, Sekai is broken. He constantly wins and it's not even really by anything inherent to Gundam/Gunpla lore. He just shouts and then kicks/punches his way to victory with no real effort. You can predict how all the fights will go because it's been the same every episode.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Mythgarr

See? See? That's the problem with Sekai and Build Burning Gundam in general: THEY ARE BORING!

Yuuma and Lightning is more interesting in term of potentials, but they wasted them too!

And at this point, we're not even hinted on what kind MS Sekai and Yuuma will use next. Will Sekai use BBG until final, or will there ever be upgrades? Will Yuuma changes Mobile Suit (and surprise us all by using Beargguy III-F?)

When Lightning Backpack was coming to BBG, I was thinking it'd combine with it and become its backpack while Winning becomes its gloves. Nope, BBG's just using it as surfboard...like how that Amethyst V Gundam is using the G-Fighter like surfboard...
Visit The Dreams
Arbiter GUNDAM

HellCat wrote:
Sekai has smacked down everyone and it has become boring.
Except for that one time in episode 4 where Sakai beat him rather decisively. :)
and it's not even really by anything inherent to Gundam/Gunpla lore. He just shouts and then kicks/punches his way to victory.
You mean just like Domon? :)

Don't get me wrong, I think Try has flaws, but these particular criticisms are not it.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
HellCat

G Gundam was made in 1994. 20 years later I'd kind of hope script writing had improved, not got worse.

Domon actually only achieved draws when fighting his future allies on that note.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.