The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Strike Zero

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk I

I have to shake my head at the notion that Winning's new form can in any way be considered "damage control." Designs for new model kits, especially those belonging to the show's front-runners, don't just magically appear out of thin air at a few weeks notice. If the point of Fumina's upgrades is to address the shortcomings of her Winning, then that was the plan from the start.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
HellCat

I'm talking more about the character, less so the Gunpla. Though given the apparent lack of logic that kits ideas together in Try I could well believe Star Winning follows it's sibling just because it's what they wanted to do.

Surely we can be amicable in discussing the show. It's usually when two opposing sides mutually gel that you hit on notions that would otherwise escaped both parties.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
gunform1010

monster wrote:
gunform1010 wrote:I'd say the tourney's still held during the summertime and is concurrent with the nationals.
No, I meant the year the entire series of tournaments (regional, national, and world) restarted within the 7 years between the two series after Yajima Trading reverse engineered the system.[/quote][/quote]
Oh you mean when exactly did like the 8th start after the rediscovery of Plavsky Particles? Would like to know myself too.
HellCat wrote:The latest episodes have really puzzled me with Fumina.

After how well BF did with women I was excited for the character. The team captain is an admitted Gundam fangirl who loves the hobby? This will probably be pretty good, especially since we've had some amusing and fair manga about the female fans in recent years.

Sadly, she's really quickly slid into being the 'Don't ask me, I'm just a girl' character familiar to many shonen shows. Winning is a huge part of that. People either hated it for being an SD or (like me) hated it for reducing her to power up for the boys. Awkwardly her stated intent when it debuted is that this was a plan on her part, to unite Sekai and Yuuma by giving them stuff via her that increased their best attributes.

Except alot of fans complained and we've hit the point where we're flat out told Fumina herself can't use the weapons with any skill and that she was genuinely riding on the backs of the other two. Depending on how you look at it this is either a planned learning curve for the team (there is some evidence of this being possible) or the production team reading online comments and reacting. The faults in Fumina and Yuuma suddenly get addressed at the exact same time we get alot of name drops and references to the season one characters fans have been clamouring for. The work of a veteran, experienced TV writer or damage control?

The other element is her response this week to the new girl training Sekai. It gave us some funny visuals but this feels to come massively out of nowhere. We've had a few small lines that suggest she's seeing Sekai as more than just 'I needed members to save the club' and she did take him to G-Muse (which, with its two appearances thus far, has just beer far too merchandising for my tastes) but really nothing that hints at any real interest. If she's threatened, why haven't we seen her try to give him training on building or trying to get him interested/give him new ideas by getting him to watch the likes of G Gundam? Heck, this could have addressed the whole 'model damage' issue if we'd seen Fumina coaching him on repairing minor damage Burning had received thus far, making it seem logical when she's jealous about him being up close and personal with another girl who possibly knows more than her.
I'm looking forward to the Star Winning but if Fumina's focus is to retrain herself for kicking butt then what will happen to the Winning Road? Scrapped altogether? Just the Winning Launcher or the Winning Knuckle by itself? A different kind of Winning Road that doesn't render the Gunpla vulnerable by splitting it apart?

"Fumi gets jealous" isn't that far out of left field. But why the heck hasn't Fumina done anything much with Sekai? By the 7th and 8th episodes it becomes apparent she has a crush on him (who the heck waits at night for someone at that other person's house?) but she doesn't bother to interact with Sekai much while Yuuma is busy helping Mirai in episode 10. There's a possibility that she got Sekai to watch ZZ with her (ANIME JA NAI) but then Sekai may just like singing. :?
Last edited by gunform1010 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
gunform1010

Oh no I double posted. :oops:
Last edited by gunform1010 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brave Fencer Kirby

HellCat wrote:Except alot of fans complained and we've hit the point where we're flat out told Fumina herself can't use the weapons with any skill and that she was genuinely riding on the backs of the other two.
I don't think that's quite fair. What I got out of it wasn't "Fumina is unskilled and has been riding the others' coattails to victory", it was more that she was focused too much on supporting her teammates and not enough on fighting on her own. The reason she couldn't use Winning's weapons effectively wasn't because Fumina was unskilled, it was because Winning's most powerful weapons were designed to be used by Lightning and Burning instead of by Winning. If you drop Wing Zero's twin buster rifle onto a Ball, the Ball won't be able to handle it effectively no matter how skilled the pilot, simply because the Ball isn't built to control a weapon that powerful. Same thing with Winning's little SD frame and the giant beam cannon it's got (that's supposed to be used by Lightning). The problem isn't that Fumina is less skilled than Sekai or Yuuma, it's that she needs to refocus her efforts into contributing on her own terms, rather than simply acting as a power-up for her teammates. With her battle against Lady Kawaguchi, she's realized this and is taking steps in that direction.
HellCat wrote:The other element is her response this week to the new girl training Sekai. It gave us some funny visuals but this feels to come massively out of nowhere. We've had a few small lines that suggest she's seeing Sekai as more than just 'I needed members to save the club' and she did take him to G-Muse (which, with its two appearances thus far, has just beer far too merchandising for my tastes) but really nothing that hints at any real interest.
That's sort of the point, I think. She likes Sekai but didn't act on it at all, since Sekai is utterly clueless about relationships and he seemed "safe" without having to push him toward any sort of commitment. Now that there's competition on the field, though, Fumina finds herself jealous and reacts accordingly.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
gunform1010

Brave Fencer Kirby wrote:
HellCat wrote:The other element is her response this week to the new girl training Sekai. It gave us some funny visuals but this feels to come massively out of nowhere. We've had a few small lines that suggest she's seeing Sekai as more than just 'I needed members to save the club' and she did take him to G-Muse (which, with its two appearances thus far, has just beer far too merchandising for my tastes) but really nothing that hints at any real interest.
That's sort of the point, I think. She likes Sekai but didn't act on it at all, since Sekai is utterly clueless about relationships and he seemed "safe" without having to push him toward any sort of commitment. Now that there's competition on the field, though, Fumina finds herself jealous and reacts accordingly.
I'm hoping for Fumi to take initiative and spend more time alone with Sekai. What I really want to see though is Yuuma tease Fumina about her now extremely obvious crush.

AmuroNT1

HellCat wrote:People either hated it for being an SD or (like me) hated it for reducing her to power up for the boys.
Or, you know, they liked it because it's a cool design and it's nice to see the massive SD Gundam sub-franchise getting some love after its brief appearance with Aila's SD Command Gundam in the first series.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
GX9900-Gundam-X

Speaking of Fumina's jealousy I have to wonder why she never felt to threatened by Kaoruko's advances on Sekai I mean she was taking direct initiative to go for Sekai's affection via the Bento faking her fear of G-Master and so on I mean she showed a few minoir pings but then Shia shows up and suddenly Fumina's jealousy turns her into a freaking powerpuff girl and all she is doing is helping Sekai with maintenance and knowing how dense he is she should have been more than expectant of both his frank answers to Shia's question and his easygoing attitude hanging out with another girl.

On the topic of Fumina's winning gundam and her stratagy her biggest weakness being an inability to fight on her own makes some sense if we compare to her previous unit the Powered Cardigan it focused on firepower the winning while a support unit focuses on variety and in fights she more or less seemed to feel winning road was the only way she has not had ample practice to get used to using winning as its own machine yet and thus while it has a ton of weapons and gimmicks she has not accustomed herself to making use of em aside from the launcher and the Knuckle i think the Star winning will refocus on her own abilities and I hope so because she really needs it
When life gives you lemons YOU HIT LIFE IN THE FACE WITH A ZANKANTOU
HellCat

AmuroNT1 wrote:
HellCat wrote:People either hated it for being an SD or (like me) hated it for reducing her to power up for the boys.
Or, you know, they liked it because it's a cool design and it's nice to see the massive SD Gundam sub-franchise getting some love after its brief appearance with Aila's SD Command Gundam in the first series.
....I give up. Should all future posts by me just link to an MP3 of incoherent human moaning because apparently me discussing the negatives of something mean I absolutely never say anything positive and/or deny other people are too?
Strike Zero

HellCat wrote:I'm talking more about the character, less so the Gunpla.
These two things aren't mutually exclusive. In a show that is about Gunpla building, the Gunpla themselves are direct reflections of the characters that use them. You can't introduce a design that directly addresses Fumina's flaws in her approach to team battle while arbitrarily deciding that it has nothing to do with the arc of her character.
AmuroNT1

HellCat wrote:....I give up. Should all future posts by me just link to an MP3 of incoherent human moaning because apparently me discussing the negatives of something mean I absolutely never say anything positive and/or deny other people are too?
Honestly, your previous post is probably a bad example to cite because you said "People either hated it for this reason or hated it for that reason", which made you sound more negative than I'm sure you intended. This is one of the unfortunate problems with communication on message boards: a lot of the subtleties of human interaction are lost because it's almost entirely text-based.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
HellCat

AmuroNT1 wrote:
HellCat wrote:....I give up. Should all future posts by me just link to an MP3 of incoherent human moaning because apparently me discussing the negatives of something mean I absolutely never say anything positive and/or deny other people are too?
Honestly, your previous post is probably a bad example to cite because you said "People either hated it for this reason or hated it for that reason", which made you sound more negative than I'm sure you intended. This is one of the unfortunate problems with communication on message boards: a lot of the subtleties of human interaction are lost because it's almost entirely text-based.
In future I will remember to voice every conceivable opinion on a topic I am discussing, even if it dilutes the point I'm making or the opinion I'm trying to personally express.
monster

HellCat wrote:In future I will remember to voice every conceivable opinion on a topic I am discussing, even if it dilutes the point I'm making or the opinion I'm trying to personally express.
Not necessarily, you could just make use of qualifying terms, like saying "some people" or "there are people who" instead of simply "people." I think it'd be unreasonable for anyone to still take offense at that and it wouldn't be "diluting" whatever point you're trying to make.
Strike Zero

HellCat wrote:In future I will remember to voice every conceivable opinion on a topic I am discussing, even if it dilutes the point I'm making or the opinion I'm trying to personally express.
Nice hyperbole.

The point you were trying to make: "Everyone who hated it, hated for x or y."

The point as it came across: "Everyone hated it for x or y."

Failing to make the distinction ends up diluting the point to an even greater degree.
HellCat

I'm gonna be completely honest- I cross posted that initial post elsewhere. Said elsewhere had basically no problem with it and that was coming from a place where other posters will happily tell me where to shove it if they disagree with me.

No claims that because I wasn't mentioning those who outright liked Winning I was saying everyone hated it. Just discussion about the actual points and opinions I was raising.
Strike Zero

Well, don't they sound like a bunch of swell folks.
HellCat

Strike Zero wrote:Well, don't they sound like a bunch of swell folks.
Good friends aren't afraid to put you in your place when it's deserved.
gunform1010

You gotta wonder, is Seiho no longer used as a venue for the open tournament qualifiers like GBF?

Strike Zero

HellCat wrote:Good friends aren't afraid to put you in your place when it's deserved.
So sorry that the response generated didn't meet your expectations, and that you felt the need to "call us out" on it failing to do so. I offered my input on what you had to say, only to have it quickly disregarded, so I'm not sure where the complaint of "no discussion on your points" fits in here.
HellCat

Snarky comment in an attempt to have the last word in an online discussion gone south.