Build Fighters Try or Reconguista In G- Which do you prefer?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
battletech

Re: Build Fighters Try or Reconguista In G- Which do you pre

Deathzealot wrote:Speaking of that. Anyone know if the States are going to get a Localized Stream Site like Gundaminfo or maybe CrunchyRoll? Since it does already have English Sub-Titles.
At the last Comiccon they said a deal was being worked out but they didn't expect it done till the end of the year.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
Deathzealot

Ah darn. Still wonder which site are they going for Gundaminfo or one of the paid streaming sites?
Gelgoog Jager

After being disappointed by the last couple of Unicorn OVAs (specially ep 7), I lacked the motivation to try watching either show. I guess I feel particularly apathic towards Reconguista since it setting basically seems to throw away what had been built on U.C., plus I'm not fond of the MS designs.

At this time I guess it's more likely that I will eventually sit down and marathon Try.
YokozunaBulldozer

I like both.
I just can't seem to bring myself to say one is better than the other.
G-Reco to me feels like a meal that is enjoyed by eating it slowly.
Build Fighters TRY is like something that you just have to wolf down like a glutton to enjoy.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
latenlazy

Gelgoog Jager wrote:After being disappointed by the last couple of Unicorn OVAs (specially ep 7), I lacked the motivation to try watching either show. I guess I feel particularly apathic towards Reconguista since it setting basically seems to throw away what had been built on U.C., plus I'm not fond of the MS designs.

At this time I guess it's more likely that I will eventually sit down and marathon Try.
I would not identify G-Reco as a UC show. RG to UC is kinda like us to the Ancient Romans.
iCards wrote: As I said we are 10 episodes in and the long reaching threat of the series so far is a monopoly over the "Photon Batteries" of the series; and that the Capital Colonel may be a Big Bad.
Really? I thought the main threat has moved on to space invaders from the moon...
balofo

Japan prefers G-Reco even with the horrible timeslot, Try is a failure
Gレコ
世帯 個人 KID TEN M1 M2 M3 F1 F2 F3
*1.5 *0.7 *0.0 *0.0 *1.3 *2.0 *0.4 *0.7 *1.1 *0.0 01・02話
*2.3 *1.0 *0.0 *0.0 *2.1 *2.7 *0.6 *0.3 *0.0 *1.4 03話
*1.7 *0.8 *0.0 *1.9 *0.7 *1.5 *0.0 *1.8 *1.7 *0.4 04話
*2.3 *1.2 *1.3 *1.5 *0.0 *2.0 *0.9 *1.7 *1.9 *0.7 05話
*2.7 *1.1 *0.5 *0.0 *1.0 *3.5 *0.4 *0.7 *1.2 *1.3 06話
*1.7 *0.8 *1.3 *0.9 *0.0 *3.1 *0.3 *0.0 *1.7 *0.1 07話
*1.9 *0.9 *0.0 *0.0 *0.8 *0.4 *1.0 *1.6 *1.6 *1.3 08話

BFT
世帯 個人 KID TEN M1 M2 M3 F1 F2 F3
*1.9 *0.9 *3.1 *1.7 *2.6 *0.5 *0.1 *0.0 *0.3 *0.4 01話
*1.9 *1.0 *3.5 *0.0 *2.9 *0.8 *0.0 *1.3 *1.4 *0.2 02話
*1.8 *0.9 *3.3 *0.9 *0.6 *1.3 *0.6 *0.7 *1.0 *0.1 03話
*1.7 *1.0 *3.5 *1.3 *1.3 *0.8 *0.3 *1.3 *1.3 *0.1 04話
*1.6 *0.9 *2.9 *1.1 *1.4 *0.8 *0.1 *0.6 *1.8 *0.2 05話
*1.6 *0.7 *1.8 *2.5 *0.7 *1.3 *0.1 *0.5 *0.6 *0.0 06話

世帯 個人(4才以上) KIDS(4-12才) TEEN(13-19才)
M1(男20-34才) M2(男35-49才) M3(男50才以上)
F1(女20-34才) F2(女35-49才) F3(女50才以上)
Strike Zero

You're going to have to put in a bit more work to convince anybody that those numbers mean Try is a "failure."

All they tell us that Try is more popular with the kids, and slightly less popular than G-Reco overall, not that it's unpopular.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
AmuroNT1

If ratings alone were an indicator of a show's quality, then Firefly would be a terrible show (never climbed higher than 98th place in the Nielsen ratings). Do YOU want to be the one to tell all those Browncoats that their favorite show is bad?
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
latenlazy

Not that I buy into using ratings to judge a show's quality, but some people earlier insisted that G-Reco would be a failure because it would have narrow appeal and bad ratings, and that Try had more common appeal. For that alone I find these results amusing :P

As for Firefly...it wasn't a bad show. It was just...very niche...and quirky, and good in all its quirks and niche-ness, which is what Joss Whedon has always been phenomenal at.
monster

balofo wrote:Japan prefers G-Reco even with the horrible timeslot, Try is a failure
I don't know how it compares to Try, but I believe Build Fighters had the lowest TV ratings. So I don't think TV ratings is as important nowadays, especially with official streaming options available to certain portions of the target audience, and as long as other merchandise is selling well enough.
BrentD15

monster wrote:So I don't think TV ratings is as important nowadays, especially with official streaming options available to certain portions of the target audience, and as long as other merchandise is selling well enough.
Agreed. :)
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Kuruni

First of all, I still wait for marathoning G-Reco (my usual method for any show that doesn't available for free), so I can't comment on it.

But for popularity, GBF-T seem to be more popular, at least among fan artists, if Pixiv tell us something :mrgreen: .
My girlfriend was a loli.
Gelgoog Jager

Based on the ratings chart posted above, and excluding the last week which seems to have either lower or just incomplete data for both series, Try seems to be more popular (average 3.2) among its main group (kids 4-12), than Reconguista (Average 2.46 among Male 35-49). Given that children seem to be the target audience of Try, I think it's doing very well.

On the other hand, it's harder to guess exactly what is the intended audience for Reconguista, and therefore determine whether it's doing as expected, better or worse.
Dark Duel

AmuroNT1 wrote:If ratings alone were an indicator of a show's quality, then Firefly would be a terrible show (never climbed higher than 98th place in the Nielsen ratings).
Yeah, goes to show that ratings don't mean much in terms of the actual quality of the show. Firefly was AWESOME.

*Ahem*

I don't prefer either one or the other, honestly. You can't really compare the two, in my opinion, because they're totally different styles of show. TRY is more of the standard shounen anime fare, much like its predecessor was. Having recently marathoned the first season again, I can say that while BF was somewhat better about developing its main cast than Try so far, the fundamental issue is that even comparing between the two of them fails because the main cast dynamic is completely different. So I don't compare the two. I let Try be its own follow-up, and I find it immensely enjoyable.
Is it as good as the first season? Not quite.
Is it as crappy as some people I've seen make it out to be? IMO, absolutely not.

G Reco, on the other hand, goes back to the more traditional style of Gundam shows in the vein of the original series or Zeta, stylistically, while at the same time doing its own thing, story-wise; so it doesn't fall into the same trap as, for example, Seed, which was basically rehashing the original Gundam while putting its own spin on it, rather in the vein of the recent trend of Hollywood remaking old movies, like Robocop or Total Recall.
Instead, it's doing something different, and taking its time, relatively, to set the scene and bring us to the point of the main conflict, which presumably will involve the Capital Army, and very probably will involve Capital Tower as well as the facilities on the moon.
But it doesn't hand the viewer all this information on a silver platter, which is what I find many of the people I talk to have a problem with. Of the shows I have seen, it's similar to Fafner that way, and I think that's not a bad thing.

The point I'm trying to make is that they're too different to really be compared, and I for one don't see that I have to prefer one over the other. I like them both, for very different reasons.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
BrentD15

Dark Duel wrote:
AmuroNT1 wrote:If ratings alone were an indicator of a show's quality, then Firefly would be a terrible show (never climbed higher than 98th place in the Nielsen ratings).
Yeah, goes to show that ratings don't mean much in terms of the actual quality of the show. Firefly was AWESOME.

*Ahem*

I don't prefer either one or the other, honestly. You can't really compare the two, in my opinion, because they're totally different styles of show. TRY is more of the standard shounen anime fare, much like its predecessor was. Having recently marathoned the first season again, I can say that while BF was somewhat better about developing its main cast than Try so far, the fundamental issue is that even comparing between the two of them fails because the main cast dynamic is completely different. So I don't compare the two. I let Try be its own follow-up, and I find it immensely enjoyable.
Is it as good as the first season? Not quite.
Is it as crappy as some people I've seen make it out to be? IMO, absolutely not.

G Reco, on the other hand, goes back to the more traditional style of Gundam shows in the vein of the original series or Zeta, stylistically, while at the same time doing its own thing, story-wise; so it doesn't fall into the same trap as, for example, Seed, which was basically rehashing the original Gundam while putting its own spin on it, rather in the vein of the recent trend of Hollywood remaking old movies, like Robocop or Total Recall.
Instead, it's doing something different, and taking its time, relatively, to set the scene and bring us to the point of the main conflict, which presumably will involve the Capital Army, and very probably will involve Capital Tower as well as the facilities on the moon.
But it doesn't hand the viewer all this information on a silver platter, which is what I find many of the people I talk to have a problem with. Of the shows I have seen, it's similar to Fafner that way, and I think that's not a bad thing.

The point I'm trying to make is that they're too different to really be compared, and I for one don't see that I have to prefer one over the other. I like them both, for very different reasons.
An excellent explanation. :D
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
HalfDemonInuyasha

Dark Duel wrote:G Reco, on the other hand, goes back to the more traditional style of Gundam shows in the vein of the original series or Zeta, stylistically, while at the same time doing its own thing, story-wise; so it doesn't fall into the same trap as, for example, Seed, which was basically rehashing the original Gundam while putting its own spin on it, rather in the vein of the recent trend of Hollywood remaking old movies, like Robocop or Total Recall.
As I said on a blog about G Reco, if one has watched the main Universal Century era Tomino series', then G Reco is pretty par for the course. None of the main UC era series really give you (much) information on things right from the get-go, usually taking its time in letting you get to know various characters and a little bit of the world as it is, and just like UC era series' (people need to remember that, even though it's much later, G Reco is still in the same canon timeline as UC), now that we're a ways into it, we're starting to be given more information and things have been moving along steadily.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

balofo wrote:Japan prefers G-Reco even with the horrible timeslot, Try is a failure
I'm sorry, but what is the point of this comment? it is like you are intentionally 'Try'ing to piss people off. The idea that the quality of something is based off popularity is a pretty bunk idea. Firefly aside, lets talk about Gundam X! That was canceled due to ratings and I know it is consider by many on this site to be their favorite Gundam series.

If Try isn't your cup of tea, so be it, but last time I checked G-Reco is far from the perfection you think it is either, but you don't see anyone else saying that it is a "failure." Its called mutual respect for other's opinion. If you cannot do that, I see no point in respecting yours.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Xenosynth

^ Agreed with the above posts. And not to mention, going off fanart, models, custom products (Such as charms), etc from many modelers and other Gundam fans I follow from Japan on twitter, it's not like Try is hated, it still gets frequent love from the watchers on my feed, about as much as G-Reco. I know that's not necessarily the best measurement but at the same time, it's something. And people are going to enjoy it whether you don't or not Balofo, you don't need to be an ass Try in every thread possible. Then again you also are doing it with The Origin, so I'm just convinced when you don't like something you have a clinical need to shove it in everyone's face.
HellCat

The fan art of Try is something I'm just trying to ignore.

Good for you. You drew either Fumina, Mirai or Gyanko naked....how about you draw something about the male characters or the Gunpla?
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
gunform1010

HellCat wrote:The fan art of Try is something I'm just trying to ignore.

Good for you. You drew either Fumina, Mirai or Gyanko naked....how about you draw something about the male characters or the Gunpla?
There's plenty of mecha fan art for TRY, it's not hard to find. I've gotten a lot bookmarked within Pixiv.
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works