The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk II

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Raikoh

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk I

I'm a pretty big fan of aquatic suits, so knowing their time to shine is coming is pretty exciting. Though the team putting their Gunpla Battle Machines at the bottom of the pool is so goofy it whips all the way around to awesome. Same with Sakai's ability to build a Gunpla in seconds complete with glowy effects.

Mirai is so terrible at snooping.

I wonder why Fumina seemed to be so fixated on OYW GM Types? I mean, it's obvious she really likes them but apparently not enough to stick to them for her new unit. If she wants more versatility (namely the Ground/Space distinction) she could always go for more advanced GMs. I guess Nemo/Jegan/Jesta/Jamesgun/GunEZ/etc. just didn't cross her mind.

From the preview, Sekai's solution to his C-Rank in Space looks like it'll be something like Wing Road.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
YokozunaBulldozer

Spoiler
Kouki Gundam looked familiar and I remembered it was the kit a classmate during elementary school picked up when I bought the Tetra Gundam, a SD GP04 from the same musha series as Kouki that could be Gerbera Tetra with part swap. Now looking back I do hope I have a chance to find the Kouki Gundam. Get to reissuing Bandai!
As for the episode it was a good grounding episode that reminds Sekai of what he is lacking. And for the Winning Gundam now we know where she gets the idea.
I also like how we started off with the future opponents being introduced.
Cant wait for next ep.
By the way Kouki Gundam is based off NT-1 Alex.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Strike Zero

Oh, my, that battle was something else! We need MOAR SD action, dammit. After Build Fighters, they've gotta make a new BB Legend anime or something, the designs are just too freaking cool.

It seems that Jerk-ass McDouche-pants Sakai is a member of Mao's Shingyo school. That doesn't bode well. It seems they're still turning out talented builders (FIST OF THE NORTH GUNPLA BUILDING, JESUS CHRIST) but apparently they also added in a part where they shove a huge iron rod up their student's buttholes in the process. With any luck, he'll get the ever-loving kicked out of him until it falls out, post-haste.

SEKAFUMI IS REAL. I'm still holding out hope for the Bento-ship, though. The only way the Battle-ship could possibly surpass it is if they go full G Gundam and have the power of their love charge the Plavsky Particles in a way that gives their Gunpla abilities beyond all reason. DO EET, SUNRISE. MAKE THIS WORTH MY WHILE.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
AmuroNT1

I love Mirai.

Also, if people didn't know, Jerk-Boy from this week is the builder/fighter of the Mega-Shiki.

Anyway, the new characters introduced this week:
-Sudou, voiced by Takashi Oohara
-Yomi Sakashita, voiced by Iori Nomizu
-Ishibashi, voiced by Kouki Uchiyama (Banagher Links)
-Nishikawa, voiced by Haruhisa Suzuki
-Shimon (Simon?) Izuna, voiced by Masazaku Nishida
-Yasu, voiced by Chika Anzai
-Swim Club Boy, voiced by Ryota Asari
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Xenosynth

Interesting rule, mobile armors are only allowed if all 3 control it in the three man tournaments.

Cameo time! Ignoring main character suits that will more than likely come up again:
Spoiler
Also, did anyone else notice that the G-Muse shopkeeper is the same dude that Reiji stole food from in episode 1 of Build Fighters?
Last edited by Xenosynth on Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
domtropen

Raikoh wrote:I wonder why Fumina seemed to be so fixated on OYW GM Types? I mean, it's obvious she really likes them but apparently not enough to stick to them for her new unit. If she wants more versatility (namely the Ground/Space distinction) she could always go for more advanced GMs. I guess Nemo/Jegan/Jesta/Jamesgun/GunEZ/etc. just didn't cross her mind.

From the preview, Sekai's solution to his C-Rank in Space looks like it'll be something like Wing Road.
Well in GBF only build quality affects MS performance, so average built HGUC Jesta won't be much better than average built HGUC GM [like Dijeh sliced Freedom in half in 1st season and Jegan killed Devil Gundam :mrgreen: ]. Also ground/marine/space use are no issue here since aquatic MS like Z'gok can be used in space in GBF too [or Messala flying on Earth in 1st season, and Asshimar in space this season].
As real life model HGUC GM type C & powered GM are pretty much ok MS for having double joints for arms, legs and foot compared to other model like GM cold climate, GM sniper & GM Commands. Powered GM is also plain enough accessories-wise that Fumina can mod it a lot. Jesta Cardigan or GM III Cardigan probably won't be much more impressive than Jesta Cannon or stock GM III :D
battletech

Something that caught my eye. Is this a fake movie poster or something used from something that actually exist? http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k61 ... dd8f7a.png http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k61 ... 7841dd.png

People looking at Mirai.
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k61 ... bbea98.png
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k61 ... 951b68.png
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k61 ... 431965.png
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k61 ... 64e9ae.png

The Char car.
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k61 ... ac71eb.png

Amazing episode with a very beautiful fight using SDs. Build Fighters Try please don't show us a close up of Mr. Ral's butt again. This was the last episode with Hirose Masashi voicing Ral. I wonder if I'll be able to tell a difference.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
Arbiter GUNDAM

I posted a bunch of screenshots from the ep. Enjoy!

I liked how they showed that Jigen Haoh isn't an "I win" button for everything........ yet. ;)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
AmuroNT1

Xenosynth: That's a Cancer, not a Pisces.

battletech: IIRC, that poster was made to advertise the theatrical release of Endless Waltz, which was paired with the Miller's Report OVA.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

Xenosynth

Crap, sorry Amuro. I was trying to do all the cameos without looking up the names, sadly Wing MS are my weak point, sorry!
HellCat

I enjoyed Build Fighters. It was the right balance of shonen style marketting and self deprecation.

Try is kinda pushing the former. We have a ton of school age rivals with ridiculous quirks (we train underwater to use aquatic MS! I can throw a boxed kit in the air and build it before it lands!)

I'm given to peg this down to a change in director. It's dissapointing after season one sold the idea that Gunpla was a global thing, with Sei and Reiji having some kid rivals but at the same time several adults too. Throw in that this episode was part given over to "Kids, beg to go to Gundam Front Tokyo" and it's not quite charming me as much so far.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
YokozunaBulldozer

For those interested in where Kouki Gundam is from:

Kouki Gundam is one of the seven choshogun(super general) in the SD Musha Gundam storyline called Shin SD Gundam Sengokuden Shichinin no Choshogun(New SD Gundam Warring Tale Seven Super Generals). This storyline has Musha Victory(A musha Gundam version of V2 Gundam who recently got a BB Legend kit announced) and his quest to together with the seven Choshogun stop the Shinsei Ankokugun(New Dark Army) lead by Mazaku. Details can be found here in the translated wikipedia page and the Japanese page

The seven Choshoguns are:

Kouki Gundam

Raimei Gundam

Jyuoh Gundam

Tenchi Gundam

Senriki Gundam

Bakuryu Gundam

Ganin Tetra/Tetra Gundam
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Destiny_Gundam

Gundam420 wrote:Remember that poll where people can vote on which mobile suits they want to see in the series? Well the results (well so far, this'll go on until Nov.12) are in, and the 1 pick really surprised me.

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2014/10/g ... -suit.html
Had I figured out how to I would have voted for the Destiny, but was happy to discover it was going to be included anyways. Nice to see it ranked so high.

And starting next week I'll be able to watch new episodes when I get up at 6! Hurray!
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
AmuroNT1

HellCat: I don't think the first season was nearly as self-deprecating as you might think. Other than Reiji asking "How many of these Zaku things are there", what else was there?

Destiny_Gundam

Oh, and I had to lol when I saw that the guys from Free! are into Gunpla now :lol:
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
HellCat

AmuroNT1 wrote:HellCat: I don't think the first season was nearly as self-deprecating as you might think. Other than Reiji asking "How many of these Zaku things are there", what else was there?
Stuff like the bar of Zeon cosplayers, which I seem to recall Ral referring to as being bitter first generation fans.

Plus there was stuff like the Gunpla Mafia, an idea the show introduced and said 'We know it's silly too, it's fun'.

Compare that to a school which literally trains underwater to master aquatic MS and a guy who can literally throw a kit in the air and build it perfectly as it falls. Season one had Mao building a perfect kit during a lorry ride but that was tame compared to this.

Try's style isn't making me feel like Gunpla is now bigger than it even was 7 years ago. It feels like Beyblade, where the toyetic side is pushed over storyline credibility. Know why I liked Nils in season one? Because he existed to call out an obvious flaw (plavsky particles being used solely for Gunpla battles) and existed to show someone would obviously want to rectify it. Given the current stage exists because of his research, that's kinda dissapointing.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
FieryBlitz

OH.
MY.
GAWD.

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx65 ... c524c7.png
http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx65 ... e1a3fc.png
http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx65 ... 6be074.png
http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx65 ... dbb87a.png

IT'S THE FREAKIN' GARLAND FROM THE CULT CLASSIC OVA, MEGAZONE 23. I RECONIZE THAT COLOR PALETTE ANYWHERE.

I think I've officially died and gone to heaven.
gunform1010

*grumbles that the Ideon will never get a cameo in GBF*
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
YokozunaBulldozer

FieryBlitz wrote:OH.
MY.
GAWD.

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx65 ... c524c7.png
http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx65 ... e1a3fc.png
http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx65 ... 6be074.png
http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx65 ... dbb87a.png

IT'S THE FREAKIN' GARLAND FROM THE CULT CLASSIC OVA, MEGAZONE 23. I RECONIZE THAT COLOR PALETTE ANYWHERE.

I think I've officially died and gone to heaven.
A Garland-themed Guntank R-44? Did not see that coming. Now all we need is a Bilbine themed Wing Zero and a Arbalest-themed Exia. Heck, Gaogaigar Destiny too while at it.

NOW GIVE US A HGUC GUNTANK R-44 BANDAI!
AmuroNT1

Why would Ideon cameo? It's an entirely separate license. At best we might see a GM painted like Ideon.

Anyway, allow me to play Devil's Advocate here in defense of Try, because I do feel like people are being a bit more cynical towards it. Wall of text incoming...

To start with, let's be completely honest with ourselves here: we knew Sei and Reiji were going to win the championship. Just like we know Team Try Fighters is going to win their championship That's never in question, but because it's NOT the key question. What's important isn't "Will he do it?" but rather "HOW will he do it?" Or more simply, "It's the journey, not the destination".

With the original Build Fighters, part of that was built into Reiji's character, specifically the mysteries behind his origins. He claims to be a prince from another world - is he telling the truth? Is he just telling stories? Heck, we even had that ludicrous theory that he came from the "real" Gundam universe. Obviously Try doesn't have that plot element, even though fans somewhat tried to recapture it with the theory that Sekai is Reiji and Aila's son, which was quickly disproven by the show itself. So without that overarching mystery element (as well as the true nature of Gunpla Battle which tied into Nils' subplot), what's left is a standard tournament storyline, which means that this one story pretty much has to pull all the weight instead of getting any kind of narrative back-up.

Regarding the use of more serious, quirky opposing teams, I don't really see how this is a bad thing. In fact, quite the contrary, I see it as a good thing since at times the original Build Fighters was pretty damn unrealistic in that regard. I mean really, think about it: out of the major players in the 7th GBWC, the vast majority were shown to be wholly good people with few to no hang-ups and who were good friends with SeiJi. The closest we got to having actual villains were the Renato Bros.; even the land shark from the hot springs episode was willing to put his own professional career on the line for his pride as a Gunpla Battler. Try is showing that, in fact, there ARE some pretty serious competitors out there, ones who won't necessarily become your buddy just because you beat them in a fair fight. And I don't see how that's a bad thing.

In fact, this even extends to the main cast. We have the central conflict between the brash, hot-headed Sekai and the cooler, more cerebral Yuuma. Sure, it's a conflict that's been used over and over in all kinds of fiction, but it still works. While I'm sure they'll eventually get along, the key word there is "eventually" - there's not going to be any kind of magical understanding that makes them best buddies overnight. And again, that's hardly a bad thing, seeing as more recent Gundam shows have used the "understanding" theme and mangled it precisely because they DID use a magical solution.

Regarding the show narrowing its focus, that doesn't bother me all that much. Sure, it'd be cool to see more foreign competitors like Fellini and Dalara, but the specific focus is on a local Japanese tournament rather than world championships. Besides, I don't have any illusions about the fact that Gundam is still a Japanese work aimed at a Japanese audience; we are, at best, a lucky periphery.

But one of the more troubling complaints I've seen regarding Try is when people remark on how much it's diverging from the original. When was striking out and finding new ground in and of itself a bad thing? If they stuck too closely to the formula of the first show, THAT would draw complaints about lack of originality. A new staff (still affiliated with the original show) trying out new things is pretty much exactly what every successive Gundam story has been, going all the way back to Zeta.

Again, this is simply my opinion. I for one have enjoyed Try quite a bit so far, and I'm very much looking forward to future episodes.