The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk II

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
gunform1010

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk I

Just realized that it's probably not coincidence that Sekai falls hard during the fourth episode.
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
Kuruni

Akashi Takumi wrote:Hmm,I just re-watched episode 2 and the sadistic maniac who defeated Yuuma prior,has hair that looks a bit similar to Kyoji Kasshu and with the attitude to match during his DG infected state.
Really? I think he's more of Renato Bros from first season, remember how they mock Luang?

Speaking of Luang, I wish we will see his successor (especially if they animate the Lumpini Gundam!)

EDIT: One referrence that all of us seem to miss.

Shame on us, people. Miss it once and you have missed it. Miss it twice and you missed it two times.
My girlfriend was a loli.
AmuroNT1

Actually, I'm pretty sure the shopkeeper reference did get spotted.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Xenosynth

Also, did anyone else notice that the G-Muse shopkeeper is the same dude that Reiji stole food from in episode 1 of Build Fighters?
From my cameo post on page 5.
Akashi Takumi

Kuruni wrote:
Akashi Takumi wrote:Hmm,I just re-watched episode 2 and the sadistic maniac who defeated Yuuma prior,has hair that looks a bit similar to Kyoji Kasshu and with the attitude to match during his DG infected state.
Really? I think he's more of Renato Bros from first season, remember how they mock Luang?

Speaking of Luang, I wish we will see his successor (especially if they animate the Lumpini Gundam!)
Yeah maybe personality wise he is below the DG infected Kyoji level and more in line with the disrespectful yet tolerable "not to evil to cause any lasting psychological effects on the kids watching the show" level. But his hair still sorta looks like Kyoji's, and the fact that both use a grotesque looking gundam makes me think he will probably be the final opponent...if not revealed to be just some crazy Yuuma rival.

Yeah Luang was underused last season or probably because his one only fight with the protagonist was a joke time mobile suit baseball match left a bad taste.
Strike Zero

EPISODE 5

THE OBARI LEVELS ARE MAXIMUM

THERE IS JUST TOO MUCH HIGH POWER, MAN
Spoiler
We finally got the debut of the Winning Gundam, and while it's first showing wasn't too bad, it was vastly overshadowed by the Build Burning Gundam SPRINTING THROUGH SPACE AND PUNCHING A COLONY IN HALF. LIKE, WHOA, THAT WAS OFF THE CHAIN. MORE OF THAT, PLEASE.

Another thing we need is more Gyanko appearances. Like, a lot. Sunrise, do not let me down on this.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Vent Noir

Damn, they're teasing me. When Fumina talked about the girl Gunpla Fighter she idolised, I thought she might have been talking about Aila, but no.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
YokozunaBulldozer

Today's Jigen Haoh School move is
Spoiler
Ryusei Rasen Ken which literally translates to Meteor Spiral Fist.

So as for the episode. . .

I love how Sekai acknowledged and utilized the limitations of the Build Burning and got his tokkun on. That kind of tokkun(special training) I can get behind.
I love how he is not one of those dudes who thinks aimlessly running a track with tires roped to your waist will solve everything.

And it is great to see a familiar face in the form of Yuuki Tatsuya(That was him right?)
Lt. Ral's substitute voice will take a few more eps to get used to but gets the job done.

As for the unexpected reveal by Minato, I am going to assume another side story manga detailing the 11th Gunpla championship could be underway. If my calculations are correct it will be when Sei is in his 3rd year of high school(12th grade for North America).

So next week we finally have the TRY Fighters fight the Gundragonars. I checked the scans of the manual for EZ-SR and it says they are members of their school's science club and seems from what I can remember from what I picked up are very analytical with their combat and strategy etc.
Cant wait.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Xenosynth

We got a Meijinko as a friend on twitter calls her.

Also, one of the modelers I follow posted this image. I dunno which series that is on the right, but team GN-X was apparently a reference to it.

Cameos:
Spoiler
Episode was just utterly badass in every way. So happy.
Last edited by Xenosynth on Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Destiny_Gundam

Oh hey, a girl not using a 'girly' unit! Though I guess it originally did have a female pilot.

I'm actually not that hot on Sekai and Fumina as a couple. When left alone they just act as normal friends without any sort of tension and I'm okay with that. In the first place I'm not much of a fan of couples where the girl is older.

Competition swimsuits are my fetish. Pixiv, you better deliver on some Mirai from this episode!

I really do wonder what Team Free! plans to do if there's no water :lol:
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
PowerdGNFlag

Xenosynth wrote:We got a Meijinko as a friend on twitter calls her, and it looks like we were ALL wrong in the mecha thread about the Meijin MS.
I for one prefer to call her Lady Kawaguchi. Speaking of misidentified MS, it turned out that everyone was technically correct when they said that Minato built the Mega-Shiki.
Also, one of the modelers I follow posted this image. I dunno which series that is on the right, but team GN-X was apparently a reference to it.
Apparently they're from a relatively obscure 1989 Sunrise anime, Madō King Granzort. Also saw a screen identifying (can't provide screencaps as of the moment) at least one of the GN-Xs (the Granzort/red one IIRC) as "Sturm GN-X".
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Xenosynth

Ach, I meant to delete that part about the Meijin MS. Someone on Twitter, before I finished the episode but AFTER I was reading spoilers, said 'Meijin using Stargazer' and so I thought they meant the one in the intro was a Stargazer custom, so technically we weren't wrong about that in the mecha thread. I always start my posts a bit early so I can grab the cameos as they appear.

Yeah, I labeled them by their names in the episode in the cameo section, it shows the names when Fumina scans them at the start of the match.

@Destiny: Aww... but my girlfriend is older than me by 3 years ;_; In all seriousness though, I don't mind the shipping as much. I just hope they keep it as mostly comedic and don't go too serious with it. It was amusing some japanese relationship charts for this series on twitter since they usually have some funny jokes in them.

Edit:

Also, I forgot to mention, I dunno if he's wearing it to be incognito or what, but Tatsuya seems to have borrowed fashion from Aila's poor days. Though it just might be the hat/scarf that's making me think that.
Ryujin

Vent Noir wrote:Damn, they're teasing me. When Fumina talked about the girl Gunpla Fighter she idolised, I thought she might have been talking about Aila, but no.
Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing.

Anyways, nice to see some Gyanko interactions this episode.

Also of note is the current competition being restricted to contestants under the age of 19.
YokozunaBulldozer

PowerdGNFlag wrote:
Xenosynth wrote:We got a Meijinko as a friend on twitter calls her, and it looks like we were ALL wrong in the mecha thread about the Meijin MS.
I for one prefer to call her Lady Kawaguchi. Speaking of misidentified MS, it turned out that everyone was technically correct when they said that Minato built the Mega-Shiki.
Apparently they're from a relatively obscure 1989 Sunrise anime, Madō King Granzort. Also saw a screen identifying (can't provide screencaps as of the moment) at least one of the GN-Xs (the Granzort/red one IIRC) as "Sturm GN-X".
Yes. Gaia Dragon is the finisher move Granzort uses.
It was fuzzy at first and then it all came back.

Granzort by the way is about a Human boy Daichi who gets to go on a trip to the moon only to begin an adventure to fight the Zado Empire. check it out if you want easy to watch fantasy mecha.

As for the GN-X the red and white one is a homage to Super Granzort, the blue one Super Aquabeat and the green one Super Winzart.

*more trivia
-Originally, LD derives from Granzort's sword LD Kaiser, Wave derives from Aquabeat's twin lance Wave Kaiser,and Sturm derives from Winzart's bow Sturm Kaiser. They unfortunately mismatched the names for Wave GN-X and Sturm GN-X

-Granzort in the show is based on fire and earth, Aquabeat water, and Winzart wind
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Deathzealot

HOLY COW! What a great episode.

So this Lady character is the new Mejin? Also when Fuuma mentioned she admired a female Gunpla player I was like "Oh has to be Aila!" but nope! I am really interested on who this Lady happens to be.
Akashi Takumi

Hmmm
Spoiler
-New meijin finally revealed, I wonder if she will have any role Team Try as she looks older than 19 to play in the same division.

-Speaking of divisions, nice touch to confirm that there are actual age divisions. This opens up possibilities that the older cast are fighting in these older age divisions.

-Yuki X New Meijin please

-Sekai/Fumina/Gyanko love triangle fight....ready..GO!

-Mirai in swimsuit is hotter than the Build Burning Gundam

-Nice to see some Minato development. He may still have some of his jerk reactions but at least he shows respect when it is due (i.e respecting Sei's work on the Build Burning Gundam). I really want to see him fight in the tournament though he needs to find two team mates.

-We got to see the new and improved Lightning Gundam...meh. We got to see the Winning Gundam...its OK not really a fan of SD Gundam. We got to see Sekai overcome his weakness in zero g environments.......RASENGAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-More teasers for their future rivals, Team FREE! swimming team looks to be lamest. I am sure they will force a water arena to make things interesting, but really? The only Gundam Build Fighters Try character I want to see in a swimsuit is Mirai....maybe a bit of Fumina :D

-Only a short shot of Destiny gunpla pilot is disappointing, at least give us a name :roll:

-Ral-san's substitute VA will take a few episodes to get to used to.

-Did not expect much from the first battle since all first battles are against fodders anyway.

-Speaking of battles, next week must be Team Try's fight true test. It will be interesting how it will force them to actually work as a team instead of relying on individual talents as they are now.

-Still no new teaser of Kyoji Kasshu/person who destroyed Yuuma since episode 2.
Deathzealot

You know I noticed after I watched this episode a second time, Sekai brought the Build Burning with him to the Pool. Heh.

As for the Free Team well I can not wait to see them crashing and burning for their arrogance that they can beat anyone in the water rubs me the wrong way. Reminds me of some the Marine MS Pilots in both MSG and SEED who laugh at using a Space Model (i.e RX-78 Gundam, and GAT-X105 Strike) to fight them underwater and get destroyed anyways for their troubles. Heh. Not to mention Sekai is training in a Pool himself therefore he developed his new move underwater therefore I believe it work just as well underwater as zero-gee.
Kuruni

Mirai is so cute...Using her charm to takeover whole swimming pool just for little brother to use, and that tearful disappoint shipper expression...this is one of few times I call "big sis character" adorable.

Lightning become tranformable by turn BWS into combine gadget (remind me of G-Falcon). Nice idea.

So Sakai only recognize Build Burning after see that pillar of particle, which mean it must be drastically different from the original form Sei used in 11th World Tournament.

We don't see much of Winning Gundam yet. In fact, this battle is more of separate battle for each Try Fighters, I guess we will finally see actual teamwork in next episode.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Akashi Takumi

I fear Team Cross swords will be relegated to the "only here to act as a medium for us to show more nostalgic Gundam for the fans" tier. It would be a shame since we did not even get to see a Sturm Und Drang and since the main character is G Gundam inspired...we need a Schwarz Bruder type character.

Team Try Fighters Vs. Team FREE! Fighters.... :D
Raikoh

Compressed to save space.
Spoiler
I liked the back end of this episode way more than the first half. It wasn't bad, really, but just way too much training and building that could have been shortened, I think.

I wouldn't have had a problem with new Ral, but it's so drastically different I could see people who don't know about Hirose's situation being taken aback. Maybe if he rasped a little more.

Is it just me or does the pre-fight scene with Gyanko look rather... Off-model? Speaking of Gyanko, I fear that she's been relegated to nothing but a haremette a la Infinite Stratos.

Destiny Kid's shirt looks familiar, doesn't it? Yamato?

So are we just flip-flopping on the relative level of badass in Byarlant pilots? Will it be awesome the next time we see it in action?

GM Head Zaku Tank makes me laugh.

Since they're asking, "What are you going to do without the pool?" I get the feeling that Z'gok yeah team will have some tactic for that. I mean, out of all the stages we're aware of, most of them are dry. Maybe they have water capsules or something? Hey, they were in G-Reco.

Okay, I'm not huge on SD but I rather liked the transformation that the Winning had. Very Obari.

Ha ha, I called it, Wing Road. Well it's sort of like a modified version... Prisma Illya. Sekai still goes Subaru with his Revolver Knuckle.

Extending your entire arm a full eight seconds before your punch connects. God dammit Sekai.

FUMINA STAHP YOU'RE GOING TO GIVE US HEART ATTACKS

pls no Meijinshipping I mean there's Allan
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE