The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk II

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Destiny_Gundam

Re: The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk II

latenlazy wrote:Or maybe all the things that seem to bother teenagers and young adults about the non-obvious and "weird" stuff doesn't bother children. I'm pretty certain children pay almost no attention to the lack of plot details, and have a much simpler qualification for what they will watch. Some of it is rule of cool stuff, but some of it is going to be simpler emotionally driven stories.
Well, it's got bright colours and the opening/ending/eyecatches are silly in a good way. But there's no clear cut good/evil, and battles aren't nearly frequent enough for the youngins. Then again, we don't really know who these "kids" Tomino is aiming for are. Everyone 40 and under would be a kid compared to him.
Amion wrote:Rayaraiya didn't have one though... so they aren't necessary for piloting, or hers dropped unseen during her jettison.
I don't think Raraiya can pilot it anymore. In episode 2 when Cahill was using that eye scanning thing, her eyes weren't glowing like Bellri or Aida's.
Amion wrote:The real question now is why is Rayaraiya (can't keep that name straight) mentally damaged?
What latenlazy said.
Amion wrote:I wonder if the G-Self is actually possessing him like the Zero system and doing so did something to Rayaraiya to place her in her current state. I can't guess how Bellri would know to shout Su-Cord and move his hands the way he did otherwise. Mysteries abound...
He randomly shouted Su-Cord in episode 1 too, so I think that's just some random thing he says. But yeah, he didn't seem surprised that he did that Minovsky Burst.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
latenlazy

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Well, it's got bright colours and the opening/ending/eyecatches are silly in a good way. But there's no clear cut good/evil, and battles aren't nearly frequent enough for the youngins. Then again, we don't really know who these "kids" Tomino is aiming for are. Everyone 40 and under would be a kid compared to him.
Kids are not as morally simplistic as we make them out to be in Western media (that perception is changing here too). Again, I think with kids it's the details that get lost, not a non-binary dynamic process. Besides, Japan has had a history of shows targeted towards children with moral complexity.
Amion

latenlazy wrote:
Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Kids are not as morally simplistic as we make them out to be in Western media (that perception is changing here too). Again, I think with kids it's the details that get lost, not a non-binary dynamic process. Besides, Japan has had a history of shows targeted towards children with moral complexity.
I also heard rumor that Idion was a kid's show, so are we really going to take Tomino of all people seriously when he says its for children? Isn't Reconguista in a late night slot? If I were the people in charge of that, I'd never let Tomino put something on an earlier schedule. Never know when some kid's head might get blown off by a bazooka, after all.

Meh, if it turns out Rayaraiya's only suffering from hypoxia, than I'm going to be pretty annoyed. I guess I need to google it and see if such behavior is standard or recorded before.

So he shouted that in ep 1? Ok, well that explains why he shouted it, but he didn't seem to realize he did a Minovsky burst while doing so, indeed. Hoping for some clear-cut stuff next episode, though really after rewatching episode four it all seems much clearer. In truth it actually feels like we're getting too many answers rather than too few. There's stuff all over the place about the geopolitics, Aida's screwiness,(Which I'm thinking may have to do with her upbringing and personality now. The way the captain treated her felt almost like placating Mr. Wong) the Hermes Rose Treaty, Towasanga, presumably the threat "that is coming from space", and Rayaraiya's goldfish.

EDIT: Episode 5
Spoiler
Ok. So Bellri and Noredo confirm what they've been up to, spying on the enemy ship. Makes sense for immature kids, and Bellri obviously wanted to keep the G-Self in his hands, while also observing the Capital Army's moves. The fact that he intends to go back must mean he's not as bothered as he appears to be. At this point the forced Gundam jack of the G-Self is the weakest part of the story. It's the missing link that makes no sense to me. Bellri's behavior is fine, but for a hostage, not someone who apparently decided to up and go willingly. *Sighs*

Aida creis in this episode and seems to have more private moments of pain when she's nice to Bellri, so she is indeed grieving yet doesn't want to potentially lose someone who is fighting for them, if under threat because of the hostages.

Masked Man appears! Ok...uh, you know, you can take off the mask, it's a really awesome combat computer/system thingy. No need to smile enigmatically and pretend we don't know who you are. Oh well, he's to far gone into his Char mode. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Amion on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
anonena

episode 5 is so much fun!

Bell "genius my ass" LOL

ps. waiting someone to shout "Universeeeeeeeeee too" LOL
Reconguista making me laugh so hard
gunform1010

Spoiler
Mask made Luin a little loopy and a bit too aggressive.
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
balofo

What was wrong with this line?
-Script?
-Translation?
-Or Mick just named the Ladles wrongly as F-Rugs and the Doubey type is actually how Ameria calls the Elf Bullock?

http://i.imgur.com/HkuZ1z9.jpg
darkhunger

Glad this episode addressed and confirmed so much of what we've been speculating... See people, just need a bit of patience. :D
Spoiler
Looks like Dellensen's a goner next ep... At Bellri's hands no less.
Zeonista

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Raikoh wrote:The thing is that using terms like "very bad" are strong opinions, probably doubly so in Japan where there's a deeper investment into the concept of Wa and whatnot. He knows that saying something like, "It hasn't really caught my interest so far," or something to that extent wouldn't get nearly as much press as saying, "It sucks!"
Question: did you watch the video or just read the transcript? Because in the video he's pretty jovial about it. I don't get the impression he's just being vindictive, or being all Nostalgia Ciritc-mad about it. He's just being frank about what he thinks.
A man is entitled to his opinion, even if we think his opinion makes him a shithead. At least he is being honest, unlike all the fake PR lovefests in Hollywood. As to criticisms of Tomino being "out of touch" with the younger fans, well only the younger fans can answer that.
This I'm not so sure. Let's look at Bellri. He's our main character, the guy we're supposed to identify with and latch onto, the character who is supposed to have the most put into him. What are his motivations, exactly? Does he want to stop a war? Does he want to protect his friends? Has he been put into a situation where he has no choice? Does he want to convert all the pirates to his religion? I don't really see signs of anything like that. All I know for sure is that he wants to get into Aida's pants. That's a pretty flimsy motive with all this other stuff going on around him, especially when I don't really see anything about Aida worth fighting for.
I can understand your reservations, since two other anime loving friends of mine are likewise confused by Bellri's motive for hokey-dokey joining the Amerians against the Capital Army, other than a half-hearted threat against two girls and a desire to...impress Aida. I rather suspect Bellri isn't entirely sure himself yet, as he is intuitively following his heart and not his head. I would hazard a guess or three at this point.
1. The Capital Army is not the same as the Capital Guard in Bellri's mind. As far as he knows they are wanna-bes with no legit agenda, so if they get some of their pretty MS shot up it's nothing for him to care about.
2. Remembering some of my misspent youth, I must say that impressing a pretty girl, especially a pretty, capable girl who likes the same things, is a valid motive for a young man. ;)
3. The G-Self is a big key, and one that hasn't been fully explored yet. Aida can activate G-Self; Bellri can activate G-Self. Bellri is an excellent MS pilot for his age; G-Self makes the Capital Guard's MS look slow and old. Plus I think G-Self is drawing Bellri towards Aida and the Amerians in ways he may not be aware of yet.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Destiny_Gundam

Still plenty of "Wut" moments but that battle was pretty good. Bunch of call backs to the Psycho Gundam too.

Really Manny? Your boyfriend wears a stupid mask and you can't recognise him?
darkhunger

balofo wrote:What was wrong with this line?
-Script?
-Translation?
-Or Mick just named the Ladles wrongly as F-Rugs and the Doubey type is actually how Ameria calls the Elf Bullock?

Or maybe the magazine info is wrong, and in fact F-Rugs are used by the Pirates and Doubey's are used by the Capital Army? Her very next line implies she doesn't know what the Elf Bullock is called.
Zeonista

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Really Manny? Your boyfriend wears a stupid mask and you can't recognise him?
Sayla: Hold it right there, you strange masked man!
Char: (removes mask) Atresia....
Sayla: O-Onii-san?!?
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Destiny_Gundam

In spite of what I said before that scene with Aida at the end worked well. It established that she was forced to thank Bellri so it was clear she was acting and she got out of there as soon as she could before she broke down. Too bad those goofy mechanics had to kill the mood deader than Cahill.

Yeah, I'm so totally ready for her to get over that.

Zeonista, at least Sayla hadn't seen her brother in years.

This goes under the 'wait and see pile,' but why would they need to (presumably) brainwash Luin? Not even the slightest hint that that is something the Capital Army does, and it's not like Luin was shown to be rebellious.
gunform1010

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Really Manny? Your boyfriend wears a stupid mask and you can't recognise him?
Not even a "Is that Luin? Looks like him a little-" :evil:

balofo

darkhunger wrote:
balofo wrote:What was wrong with this line?
-Script?
-Translation?

Or maybe the magazine info is wrong, and in fact F-Rugs are used by the Pirates and Doubey's are used by the Capital Army? Her very next line implies she doesn't know what the Elf Bullock is called.
F-Rugs are called by name in the anime and have been in magazines as CA's, same as Fry-schop being Pirates'.

Really strange
Zeis

Destiny_Gundam wrote:He randomly shouted Su-Cord in episode 1 too, so I think that's just some random thing he says. But yeah, he didn't seem surprised that he did that Minovsky Burst.
Actually, I thought a bit about that. If the space elevator is considered to be a sacred object, maybe it's like someone saying 'God help me' or 'Oh God' in our world.
zetatype

Good episode, probably my favorite so far

As others have mentioned its nice to finally get some clarification on Bellri's motives and it makes some of his earlier scenes seem a lot less random especially the gundam jacking from episode 2.

We finally get to see the G-Arcane in action though unfortunately it just fires a couple shots. Hopefully it'll see more action next episode.
Destiny_Gundam wrote:
This goes under the 'wait and see pile,' but why would they need to (presumably) brainwash Luin? Not even the slightest hint that that is something the Capital Army does, and it's not like Luin was shown to be rebellious.
Maybe they did some cyber newtypish stuff to him (to enhance his abilities) and his aggressive personality is more of a side effect rather than the result of intentional brainwashing. Or if it is brainwashing maybe its because he's a Kuntala. It's pretty clear that there is some kind of prejudice against these people so maybe he's brainwashed because the higher powers don't trust him. But like you said wait and see.
gunform1010

Zeis wrote:
Destiny_Gundam wrote:He randomly shouted Su-Cord in episode 1 too, so I think that's just some random thing he says. But yeah, he didn't seem surprised that he did that Minovsky Burst.
Actually, I thought a bit about that. If the space elevator is considered to be a sacred object, maybe it's like someone saying 'God help me' or 'Oh God' in our world.
Seconded.

Kenji

Destiny_Gundam wrote:This goes under the 'wait and see pile,' but why would they need to (presumably) brainwash Luin? Not even the slightest hint that that is something the Capital Army does, and it's not like Luin was shown to be rebellious.
I was under the impression that Luin volunteered.

After all, some underhanded pirate kidnapped his friend and girlfriend's friend, along with Gundamjacking and being responsible for a fair amount of damage, in the process. Even if something's gone funny with him (which mostly seems a possibility because of his demeanor, as far as I can see with just the first viewing), possibly because of the mask, it doesn't preclude him volunteering for what's essentially a fact-finding mission.

It's kinda like how Bellri being on a fact-finding mission of his own (whether sent or on his own initiative), having the hots for Aida, and being genuinely curious about the world outside of the Capital Tower aren't mutually exclusive motivations.

I dunno, that was my first impression. Maybe it'll change with more viewings. Probably gonna run through the series-so-far again, before too long. After all, outside of this and Doctor Who, I'm really not watching anything, this season.
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."
latenlazy

I haven't watched the episode yet, but I would suspect that maybe Luin acts differently precisely because he has a mask on. One of those themes Tomino (and actually Gundam as a franchise) explores is that hiding your identity liberates specific suppressed impulses, or even your true self.

EDIT: Finished.
Spoiler
I think you're all being too tough on Luin's gf. The guy wasn't just wearing a mask. He was off to a distance.

I definitely now think that Luin's personality change has more to do with an expression of who he truly is, or maybe an expression of the kind of man he wants to be. It's mentioned in his character profile that being a Kuntala weighs on him. The mask probably allows him to be a bold person without being judged by a social stigma he's particularly sensitive to.

Not much more to say about this episode, except that Tosugawa is probably a space colony, and might be the real guys running the show and setting taboos and holding a monopoly on energy and technology. I thought that the SU-Cordists were the Capital tower guys, but in fact it sounds like they're the Spacenoids! In fact, Raraiya might be a SU-Cordist! What's even more fascinating is the implication that the SU-Cordists sound like they've attained some kind of deity status. I suspect it's due to the power they hold combined with how remote they seem to be.

Also, I'm becoming increasingly curious what role Bellri's mother will play. There's a conspiracy at foot and she clearly doesn't like it. Maybe the Capital is doing things in collusion with the SU-Cordists, or maybe the Research division has its own agenda to reach Tosugawa? So many possibilities, but I have a bad feeling about her fate. We find out the impression that Bellri doesn't like what the Capital Army has some merit to it. Perhaps his self selected spying mission isn't just about what Ameria's up to, but about what the Capital Army and the Research Division are up to?

Finally, more signs of indoctrination in the Capital with all that fanfare and cheerleading about the Capital Army protecting the world.
Damn. That Elf Bullock is insanely awesome.
Henyo

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... sta/.80151

first time i've heard about the guy..AND...i'm not going to listen to him. i'm enjoying G-Recon and that's all that matters.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!