Sunrise partnering with Right Stuf to release Gundam again!

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Zeether

Sunrise partnering with Right Stuf to release Gundam again!

http://www.fandompost.com/2014/10/11/br ... ll-gundam/

They're starting with the original series and Turn A (yes, Turn A). Not sure if Build Fighters or G-Reco will be a part of this, but this is good news for people who want to see the anime again.
monster

Re: Sunrise partnering with Right Stuf to release Gundam aga

Sunrise is looking to launch a Gundam official site for US audiences.
If this news is true, then that's great news. I've been keeping a shortcut to a web archive of the old Gundam Official site. Hopefully this new site will provide more information like that old site, and not just become a commercial portal.

Anyway, wasn't MSG already released? They should've just went on to Victory and/or X.
Raikoh

They might be planning on releasing the recent Blu-Rays of MSG.

I don't know much about Right Stuf. Do they do dubs? Are they halfway decent? Because I always thought that Turn A is one of those series that, if it had a good dub, would be even more engaging in English (since I think characters in Ameria are meant to speak English - supported in G-Reco when they use "Monday".)
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
HellCat

My sole complaint is that RightStuf are ridiculously picky with international customers.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Zeether

Raikoh wrote:They might be planning on releasing the recent Blu-Rays of MSG.

I don't know much about Right Stuf. Do they do dubs? Are they halfway decent? Because I always thought that Turn A is one of those series that, if it had a good dub, would be even more engaging in English (since I think characters in Ameria are meant to speak English - supported in G-Reco when they use "Monday".)
Right Stuf only uses dubs when they're available on their Nozomi Entertainment releases. They did dub a while back with a few releases (To Heart, The Third, Ninja Nonsense) but it got too expensive and they stopped. Their releases are great regardless but they do not do Blu-rays, although this might be a decision Sunrise makes and not them since they are acting as distributor and not licensor. So it could go either way.
wielder

It should be pointed out that RightStuf actually had a distribution deal for the DVD release of Unicorn in particular, picking up where Bandai Entertainment left off, and not for the BD version. The BD release was being sold as more of an import from the beginning and wasn't technically part of their distribution deal.

Go back and re-read the announcement they made last year: it was about distributing the DVDs, not the BDs.
See this: Link

In other words, I don't seriously expect the older Gundam shows to get any BD releases, as opposed to the upcoming Gundam The Origin.

Other than that, I am quite happy. This will finally allow many of us to pick up Turn A Gundam and more!
Soul Eater, the True Rune
Zeether

I just hope they at least get cleaned up video even if they gotta go the DVD route. G Gundam's old Bandai release is kinda crusty looking and would at least look better with the video cleaned a little.
battletech

I just hope when they say all of Gundam thing mean ALL OF IT. If they do mean ALL OF IT that it doesn't take a million years to release series.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
LightningCount

This is awesome news. Rightstuf is a good company that is really passionate about their releases and customers. These releases all make sense. Gundam ZZ was recently given official subs for Daisuki, MSG was re-released by Bandai Ent just before they went under, and Turn-A was being prepped for release when Bandai Ent closed its doors.

Ergo, those are the easiest to release. However, I am so hoping Gundam X will FINALLY come out, and I'd also like Gundam SEED: C.E. 73 Stargazer. (It's unlikely, but if Gundam X could somehow get a English dub, all the better.)

I have a feeling Rightstuf will be the home for legacy releases, and newer series will come from other distribution channels.

The current rumor is that Reconguista in G is going to come via Funimation or Sentai with an English dub. (Not sure who else they would have picked, as it was said to be a larger distributor.) The ANN article mentioned something about the Build Fighters franchise, too, I believe.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
AmuroNT1

battletech wrote:I just hope when they say all of Gundam thing mean ALL OF IT. If they do mean ALL OF IT that it doesn't take a million years to release series.
It's been said that one of the big issues with Gundam getting licensed overseas is that Sunrise insists on not splitting the shows - if you take one Gundam, you're getting ALL of them. So hopefully that's what the deal with Right Stuf entails.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Deacon Blues

It's far too late to save the franchise here... Rightstuf probably won't amount to much in the end. As much as I'd like to herald this as great news, there really isn't much to be said on the matter, sadly.
Mu La Flaga

Deacon Blues wrote:It's far too late to save the franchise here... Rightstuf probably won't amount to much in the end. As much as I'd like to herald this as great news, there really isn't much to be said on the matter, sadly.
Well I would think that someone is actually willing to take on the whole franchise says something.
And as note the company themselves wont fall under Bandai or Sunrise's little buisness models.

So sure it may not save the franchise, but it might give it a little life considering the fact Bandai Entertainment(USA) went under and thus all the old DVD copies were slowly going out of print.

I guess if anything, don't be a downer on this, I mean it is kind of a big bit of news that someone did undertake this.

Which also kind of means if other series get a release in the US or re-released(0080, G-Gundam ect)
Means other places like say Australia, UK, NZ ect may also get releases of series that weren't released previously at all(that the US did release)

Food for thought eh?
HellCat

You would need something that by its own merit proves to be a smash hit. Wing hit during that first anime boom when all kinds of stuff was getting licensed and most of it was new and exotic to American audiences. It helps that Wing of course puts all the action and teen superhero stuff close to the front. Trying to follow that up with a 20 year old 70s cartoon that was in no way poised to have the same effect basically killed everything.

I think with 00 they were very much trying to recreate that 'foreign smash hit' thing again. They got the director of the first FMA, which was huge in America, and the official US site even had a personal message from the producer. Most of the productions though view the foreign audience as gravy.

I doubt it'd be the HUGE success they want/need but Build Fighters seem to do well. I've seen many non-Gundam fans get into it, even if they openly have no interest in the mainline shows.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
MrMarch

I haven't purchased from RightStuf for over a decade or more. Didn't even know they were still around. But they were an excellent retailer during the years I was purchasing their merchandise. Still, if they release a proper blu-ray of Gundam 0080, I will be there on the opening day of pre-ordering with money in hand :)
Deacon Blues

Mu La Flaga wrote:Well I would think that someone is actually willing to take on the whole franchise says something.
And as note the company themselves wont fall under Bandai or Sunrise's little buisness models.
Except they would fall under Sunrises direction. Why do you think Gundam failed in America in the first place? Japan's meddling.

I just hope they don't dabble in dubs for Gundam. God knows they don't turn out well at all... haha
Zeonista

Good to hear that we haven't been abandoned to stream-only treatment. :)
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot

This is awesome news! I hope that when/if Turn-A gets released they release it like the Zeta Gundam individual DVDs, what I mean is instead of having 10 individual DVDs they release 5 "chapters" containing 2 DVDs each.
*Im not removing this signature until ZZ Gundam gets dubbed and is released in America*

Started on October 14,2007
YokozunaBulldozer

I did the robot dance and finished it off with the beam saber slice pose hearing this.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Powerman293

HellCat wrote:http://www.toonzone.net/2014/11/toonzon ... try-panel/

So UK might be getting all the Gundam shows on Blu-ray.
My hope and dream of getting 00 blu-rays might come true!