Do you watch Mecha anime with your parents?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Henyo

Do you watch Mecha anime with your parents?

title says it all people! as for me, yes, Dearest Mother does watch them with me.(she's got no choice really. we only have one TV) but on the good side, she liked some of the series i showed her!

the series in no particular order that we've finished watching together:

Zeta Gundam
SDF Macross
Votoms Series- she likes this one. enough to recall Jijiium when a similar sounding mineral, deuterium, was discovered somewhere in the sea territory of the Philippines. the only one she didn't get to watch was mellowlink. not that big a lose right?
Dragonar - another one she liked.
Dancouga(up to the God Bless Dancouga) - amusingly, she prefers to call Shinobu by his last name. easier to say.

right now, we're watching God Mars.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
basedlilb1

Re: Do you watch Mecha anime with your parents?

No lol. They don't watch much but the news and Chinese TV. One time I asked my mom to translate some Chinese subtitles for Gundam Unicorn (my covert way of seeing if she would ask me about what I was watching) but she just said none of it made sense and walked away. In any case, it's just weird if they were into it.
MrMarch

I can't get my parents to watch anything.

Even when I distill all of popular culture down to a small sample of only the very best (movies like The Wolf of Wall Street or Gone Girl, or comedians like Dave Chappelle or Louis C.K., or a TV series like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones or Orange is the New Black), they BARELY watch anything I recommend. Anime? Completely out of the question. They won't even watch Pixar films like Finding Nemo or The Incredibles.

The best I've ever been able to ever achieve; I've convinced my parents to watch Lord of the Rings and Guardians of the Galaxy, both of which they loved. Two minor victories in a lifetime of disappointment with my parents :)
SonicSP

I got my mother to watch Wolf Children with me some months back, if only because I thought she would like it. I guess sometimes they would watch Doraemon with me back when I was a kid, even though it's more my thing.

Mecha anime? Definitely not. I think they have enough plastic mecha being displayed around the house.

I watch other non anime stuff with them mostly if we were to watch anything as a family.
AmuroNT1

My parents are pretty cool overall. They were comic and sci-fi fans as teens themselves, and that's something they've retained even this far down the line. In fact, my parents are a large part of the reason I'm a sci-fi and anime geek myself, since they let us rent stuff from Blockbuster. Unfortunately back in the day, all they really had was stuff like the Devilman OVAs, Devil Hunter Yohko, Demon City Shinjuku...which is why I'm also thankful that my parents established early on in my and my brother's childhoods the difference between fantasy and reality, so they didn't get too upset when we watched things with lots of violence or nudity.

But as for actually watching anime with us, not so much. All I can think of it how way back in the day, this local UHF channel would run anime movies on Sunday nights, and I think Dad watched Castle of Cagliostro with us. The closest outside of that was some day where I was cleaning up and had the Gundam Wing OST playing on the stereo, and Mom remarked that it was the first time she'd heard anime music that was actually pretty good (because most of what she'd heard was theme songs performed by squeaky-voiced actresses). That, and I usually go see the Marvel Comics movies with Dad.
Last edited by AmuroNT1 on Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Destiny_Gundam

My dad has seen all 3 Evangelion Rebuild movies with me. He's seen some other anime movies with me too because it was before I had my license and he had to drive me to the movie theater. We even took a 4 hour drive together to the Toronto area in order to catch the North American premire of 2.0. Come to think of it I guess he saw 2.0 twice as I went to see it again when it came to my local theater. The films aren't always dubbed but he says he's able to follow along well enough. Even though I drive myself now he still came to 3.0 and will probably also come for 4.0 whenever we get it.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Arbiter GUNDAM

Not a snowball's chance in hell. :D
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Compass

Nopenopenope not even gonna want to attempt this.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
battletech

My dad will if it's a dub. He's watched Robotech an all the Gundam series that were dubbed. He grew up watching old anime like Starblazer, Astro Boy and Gigantor.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
SonicSP

Wait......I just remembered something. I actually watched the Gundam 00 movie with mom, in the actual movie screening.

I had to fly to another nearby country to do that. Because it was in another country, we sort decided to make a trip of it and do other stuff too which included me bringing her along for the actual screening. Seperating would be hard since calls are expensive when roaming.
Henyo

if they're willing to you guys should try it. you'll learn a thing or two from their time. which is amusing in itself. you could think of it as reference for stories and such too. i do just that btw.

the only problem i have with Dearest Mother is explaining to her how stuff works. have you ever tried explain mulitverse and FTL concepts to the uninitiated?

i forgot to mention this: i also managed to make her the Ideon Movies. :D
Destiny_Gundam

My parents consume more MCU stuff with me than anime. We watch Agents of SHEILD together every week and we'll go to the movies when they come out. I'm often having to explain stuff to them too.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Mu La Flaga

As much as i remember not really.
However something used to do when it was on tv, was Digimon Adventure 02, I think she was kind of interested at the story kind of and how Ken was going his "redemption" part in the series for all the stuff he had done as the Digimon Emperor ect.

My mum seems to understand that best, because when I was younger, pretty sure it was how I found and watched Transformers or Voltron ect.

She is usually somewhat open minded, I don't think my dad gets it much lol.
Zeether

I've tossed around the idea of showing my folks GiTS SAC as an intro to anime but I do kind of want them to see Gundam The Origin's OVAs or Unicorn. My dad likes police drama so I was thinking of Patlabor too.
Outlaw

Actually, yes.
My folks used to watch the old Toonami afternoon block back in the day and were pretty fond of the Tenchi series and Dragonball Z. There were collective sighs and I think a couple of high fives when Freeza finally bit the dust, we had been waiting for that since before DBZ aired on Toonami (which I think was on UPN). My father actually enjoyed Bebop and Champloo and loved FMA: Brotherhood, he'll even jokingly call his '69 Mustang Roy on occasion.

My mother, not so much, but she did grow up on the old Speed Racer episodes and one day she came home grinning ear to ear and pulled out a DVD of the old Ultraman US dubs. So that day my parents shared their childhood with me.

Sadly the Gundam front hasn't gone so well. We watched 0083 but my father thought the romance was to sappy, and the one time they tried watching 00 happened to be the S2 episode where Tieria cross dresses to infiltrate the Innovators little party. So between the cross dressing and a confusing info dump episode they were lost immediately.

I'm not complaining though. Of all the crappy things life has thrown at me my parents definitely help make up for it. 8)
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
Henyo

ah yes, Gundam. how did i ever managed to make her watch Zeta Gundam? at least she's not as irritated in Reconquista as the other Gundam series. another amusing thing that happened is that she wanted to finish Godannar...then some days later, she doesn't, along with saying "watching shows with lots of Oppais again?"(yeah, i watch fanservice heavy animes in front of her.)
SonicSP

I honestly do wish I share more tastes in shows with my parents. They can make great family moments.
Henyo

SonicSP wrote:I honestly do wish I share more tastes in shows with my parents. They can make great family moments.
in full agreement with you there. me and Dearest Mother are close to the point that i can make her do some things from some animes.(also pose with some of my toys) anyone want to see that? XD
yukigono

I've watched numerous Mecha shows with my dad. Gundam 00, Macross Frontier, Gurren Lagaan. He enjoys them even if he doesn't quite "get it."
Kratos

My parents have always been supportive of my geekier pursuits, and my dad has even indulged on occasion - about a year ago, we watched the first Iron Man together, for example, and sometimes he'll comment on how a completed model kit looks cool or something. I don't think they'd ever actually watch the mecha anime, but I do remember around the time I first started watching Wing, one or both of them stayed up and watched a bit to see what it was all about.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"