Do you watch Mecha anime with your parents?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Henyo

Re: Do you watch Mecha anime with your parents?

TorvaEarl29 wrote:I'm pretty sure if i showed my parents anything anime, they wouldn't get it. They don't like venturing out and watching other stuff
i have one specific reason why i ask my mom to watch what i watch. that's to spare me from having to listen/see TV dramas during prime time. as one website says. Philippines drama has been the same old story for 50 years and counting.(think adam west batman. but much much worse.)

right now she's enjoying layzner. and showed a strong reaction the foolishness of both the American and USSR forces about the Gradosians. and as you would expect, she demands that i get all of the episodes. :D
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Darkerangel

Hey you guys, haven't been on in a while...work and all, but I saw the topic and I just had to chime in.

So I guess Anime is in my blood/DNA? I say this because now that I think about it, my Dad is like a Dragon Ball Z nympho. I mean he eats, sleeps, and dreams DBZ.. He has seen DBZ during it's Toonami glory days at least 50 times, or whenever the hell they aired it repeatedly. I had bought him the DBZ movies SET, guarantied you he has lost that set, but at the time he saw the movies...repeatedly. He has seen Dragon Ball Z Kai, I kid you not on KidsWB (whatever the hell it's called now a days) AND and on Nicktoons. Being the golden child that I am, both him, my nephew, and myself went to see Dragon Ball Z: Battle of the Gods movie that was in theaters for a few days. He has a slight obsession with Rurouni Kenshin, but usually it's DBZ all day, everyday.

I say Anime is in my blood, because lets backtrack a generation, my grandfather....

I guess you can say my grandfather started this whole anime mess that I am a slave to. He was old school, so he managed on VHS (back in the day) to obtain the entire collections of some space anime (forgot the name of it). But something happened to Earth and this crew are trapped on a ship hunted down by space pirates as they are on the quest to find a second Earth. Later on they encountered some long haired blonde chick who knows or foresees the pathway to this second Earth. Something like that. I remember this clearly because as a birthday present we were suppose to watch the entire collection together, however being the young kid that I was...I forgot lol. So that never happened, he ended up watching the collection by himself. At least over 24 VHS tapes, he recently trying to convert them into DVDs.

He also has the complete series of Outlaw Star, but it was his next series that transition him from space guru to samurai obsession.

My grandfather was the one who bought Rurouni Kenshin the complete collection. Thus in english (yes, my grandpa will/can only stomach anime that are dubbed. He's okay with subbed, but without a doubt wants dubs.) he saw the however many more episodes there were when Toonami pulled the plug of that anime.

He also bought Samurai Champloo, he has seen and purchased the entire Avatar dvds, for a Christmas present I purchased him Afro Samurai Resurrection (not the best choice, in terms of gore...he has a slight limit to it...who knew lol.) and Samurai X. In addition to those, he also purchased Seven Samurai.

The kicker part was when he wanted me ('cause again as the golden kid, I just so happen to be tech-friendly) wanted me to convert his VHS...es? into DVDs. You guys will never understand, it was like entering a vault preserved from the 90's as I have never seen or heard of these anime before...until now:

Angel Cop
Big Wars
Armored Trooper VOTOMS
Art of Fighting
Robot Carnival
Wizards
Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture
Battle Arena Toshinden
Demon City Shinjuku
Cyber City OEDO 808
Dominion Tank Police
Roujin Z
Wrath of the Ninja: The Yotoden Movie
Iria: Zeiram The Animation

That's all I can remember, but ironically, one of his VHS tapes, had a trailer of Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory. 0o who knew that would be my drug years later lol.

Forgot the add that recently, my Uncle informed my Grandfather hulu and netflix thus forcing him to get hip with the times we live in.

Outside of them, I know my Uncle is into anime, but to my surprise, he was actually well informed of Gundam. We were having a brief conversation as he wanted to catch up on it, but it was as if he either knew of it or have seen it before...and I quote: "Gundam still airing? Thought it stopped."
Mobile Suit Gundam Rebirth A rogue space team called U-FEA is in search for the Beacon of Hope for the future of humanity. They will have to use the blueprints of the Mobile Weapons before them as part of their arsenal to take down the Xen-Dominion.
Henyo

that's nice. very nice. more than one member of your family is into anime. i've only got one on my mother's side. my first cousin.

as for the old animes, thje impact is less on me. i grew up watching a lot of old animes.(the Philippines aired animes from the 70s to the then current 90s.)
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!