Do you watch Mecha anime with your parents?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Dark Duel

Re: Do you watch Mecha anime with your parents?

Destiny_Gundam wrote:My parents consume more MCU stuff with me than anime. We watch Agents of SHEILD together every week and we'll go to the movies when they come out. I'm often having to explain stuff to them too.
Same with me. Mum and I have gone to see every MCU movie so far in theaters except The Incredible Hulk and the two Thor movies, and we rented those on DVD and watched them at home.
Well, and GotG, because frankly, that one didn't interest me as much so we passed on it. *raises flame shield*
Anime though? Not a snowball's chance in hell. That's purely my own thing, and my parents have been highly critical of, for instance, my Gunpla purchases. *sigh*.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Iris Scope

I once watched Ninja Scroll with my dad and that's about as close as it ever got. He was suprised at the amount of nudity and sexual situations present in the anime so i don't know if i would ever consider the possibility of sharing my love of Evangelion with him given the shenanigans that goes on there.
GX9900-Gundam-X

My mother does her damndest to watch the shows with me she makes fun of the crossbone vangaurd from F91 saying that it sounds like a name for an all gay airsoft team, we tried the pince of darkness but no one came out of there without confusion, She enjoyed Chars counter attack, She also liked Getter Armageddon specifically saying she enjoyed Benkei as a caring dad and said I had a lot in common with Ryoma

Meanwhile my father says Robots are gonna doom us all and that I shouldn't like the Getter robo so much He kinda liked 0083 but I thinks its just the theme song and he loves my Gunpla it seems to be the only thing we have in common aside from a general enjoyment of war history
When life gives you lemons YOU HIT LIFE IN THE FACE WITH A ZANKANTOU
Zeonista

My parents are total Muggles, and so the wonders of anime are lost on them. So I am really glad that some of the members here can enjoy the anime experience with their parents. :)
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Dark Duel

GX9900-Gundam-X wrote: He kinda liked 0083 but I thinks its just the theme song
That would be fine, because the theme songs (both of them) for 0083 are AWESOME.
Also, 0083 is basically Top Gun with giant robots for a large part of it, so I guess anyone with an appreciation of war history in general and/or that movie in particular should IMO like 0083.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Henyo

Dearest mother actually watches more western series than me. if i have nothing to do i'd watch it with her. and just today she told me why she couldn't handle anime mechs: THE POSING before attacking.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Powerman293

HAHAHAHAHAH No. They never watch anything with me.

Okay, let me correct myself, whenever I'm in the living room watching something and they sit on the couch and watch for a few minutes and get bored and have a conversation. My dad loves cop shows but he wasn't interested in Death Note, so I'm out of luck....
GX9900-Gundam-X

Powerman293 wrote:HAHAHAHAHAH No. They never watch anything with me.

Okay, let me correct myself, whenever I'm in the living room watching something and they sit on the couch and watch for a few minutes and get bored and have a conversation. My dad loves cop shows but he wasn't interested in Death Note, so I'm out of luck....
Have you considered Patlabor? It's pretty much mecha cops so it may have a decent chance
Powerman293

GX9900-Gundam-X wrote: Have you considered Patlabor? It's pretty much mecha cops so it may have a decent chance
Good idea, but my dad doesn't watch anime at all, and I don't think Patlabor could turn it for him.
Toxicity

The only anime I've ever shared with any relatives was Gundam 0080, which I watched with my father earlier this year. Prior to last summer, I'd hardly spoken a word to my father in nearly 5 years, and I decided to finally get back in touch. We hung out, got drunk and caught up and now everything's cool.

He served in the Army for 10 years and was amongst the first to be sent to the middle east for the first gulf war, so he's seen some shit. He loves war movies, documentaries and stuff like that and gets really into them, so one weekend when he'd come over to my place to hang out and escape my step-mother during shark week, I offered to show him Gundam 0080.

My father was unfamiliar with anime and I guess he was under the impression that it being animated meant it was a children's show or a comedy. It didn't take long for him to realize that what we were watching was neither of those things.
AmuroNT1

Come to think of it, my parents did see a little of Gundam 0080 when it was airing on Toonami. They actually thought it was a bit heavy-handed.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Henyo

my gosh, Dearest Mother actually liked Gunbuster. she even corrected me when i explained Time dilation wrong(hey, i was tired from work. and we watched it in one sitting.)

and now, she's liking Giant Gorg. thanks to the Dog. question: is Gorg good all the way or does it stumble near the end?
Lord Dearche

Do you watch Mecha anime with your parents?

Hahaha!...hell no. Same with games and any and all of my interests. Applies to my siblings as well.

No one must know my secrets!
Henyo

Lord Dearche wrote:Do you watch Mecha anime with your parents?

Hahaha!...hell no. Same with games and any and all of my interests. Applies to my siblings as well.

No one must know my secrets!
must be tough dood! i don't have that option thanks to our house essentially being one big room.
at the very least Dearest Mother is supportive.(and yes, that includes the "educational" stuff.) and the siblings could care less what i'm into.
GX9900-Gundam-X

Soo got my Ma to watch (Riff) G Savior with me it was a rousing good time also as of now my mom has seen enough Mecha shows to tell the differences between the Exia and the Mazinkaiser with out visual guides YAY!
Henyo

GX9900-Gundam-X wrote:Soo got my Ma to watch (Riff) G Savior with me it was a rousing good time also as of now my mom has seen enough Mecha shows to tell the differences between the Exia and the Mazinkaiser with out visual guides YAY!
there's an idea. i could trick mother dearest into watching that gundam since its live action.
on the subject of identifying mechas, the only one Mother can identify right out of the bat is Voltes V.
it helps that it was during her time when Voltes became a big hit in the Philippines.
teslashark

My mom watched SEED with me 10 years ago and knows more than (most parents') average about one-eyed mobile suits (i.e. telling apart a GiNN from a Zaku). She also funded me to buy almost a dozen of HG models, though I never finished them.
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
GX9900-Gundam-X

Henyo wrote: there's an idea. i could trick mother dearest into watching that gundam since its live action.
on the subject of identifying mechas, the only one Mother can identify right out of the bat is Voltes V.
it helps that it was during her time when Voltes became a big hit in the Philippines.
Well that might work for others but I dont need to trick my Mom we watch stuff together all the time She hads trouble following some plots, She said Wing's total pacifism and Endless waltz's lets launch the gundsms into the sun was the dumbest shit she had seen in a long time but she also watched Getter Armageddon and gave me a funny look when I started screaming Mussashiiiii because she said he hadn't really done much yet (if only she knew)
Henyo

whenever i start a new series, i'll ask her if she wants to watch it. problem here is that if she does end up liking it she'd demand that i get all episodes and watch at least 5 episodes per sitting. that's what we did when we watched the legend of the Galactic Heroes main series. you can imagine how messed up my watching gets.(my priorities are thus: Magical Girls, MEcha, everything else.)
TorvaEarl29

I'm pretty sure if i showed my parents anything anime, they wouldn't get it. They don't like venturing out and watching other stuff