Magical Girls

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Henyo

Re: Magical Girls

finally got all of the Madoka files i need!(in other words, HD, sub and dub.)

ima gonna rewatch this soon enough! speaking of dubs, anyone tried YuYuYu's dub? i can hear Ayesha Altugle in Togo-san!

back to Madoka i realized that it has similarities to another Mecha anime. Zeta Gundam. behold the exhibit!
A: both are regarded as one of the best in their respective genre.
b. both got compilation movies.
c. in relation to exhibit b. Madoka had its movies made just after 2 years. a stark contrast to Zeta's 20. and the Madoka movies got dubbed!
d. the third movie changes everything.(this is a bit of a stretch though. since Zeta's Love is the Pulse of the Stars isnt a sequel.)

now i have the urge to draw the Madoka Girls as Zeta characters.... :twisted:
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Henyo

finally got all of the Madoka files i need!(in other words, HD, sub and dub.)

ima gonna rewatch this soon enough! speaking of dubs, anyone tried YuYuYu's dub? i can hear Ayesha Altugle in Togo-san!

back to Madoka i realized that it has similarities to another Mecha anime. Zeta Gundam. behold the exhibit!
A: both are regarded as one of the best in their respective genre.
b. both got compilation movies.
c. in relation to exhibit b. Madoka had its movies made just after 2 years. a stark contrast to Zeta's 20. and the Madoka movies got dubbed!
d. the third movie changes everything.(this is a bit of a stretch though. since Zeta's Love is the Pulse of the Stars isnt a sequel.)

now i have the urge to draw the Madoka Girls as Zeta characters.... :twisted:
Lord Dearche

A: What does that have to do with anything? Just because they're the best in their own field doesn't mean they have any similarties. In that case I can say that Madoka has similarities Crunch Berries, as both are regarded as the best in their genre. (ALbeit neither is, Madoka like any anime is only considered the best of something by it's fans, and Captain crunch cuts the roof of your mouth. Same with Zeta, it's only considered the best of it's respective genre by some people, not ALL people)

B: what doesn't? Macross Frontier, Nanoha, Gintama, EVERY GUNDAM SERIES EVER, except for G because no one cares, etc. Compilation movies aren't anything special especially in this day and age when most series get them for the sake of reusing most of their TV show footage slightly spruced up.

C: Because it's far easier to make a compilation movie in this day and age compared to back in the 80s where it's pretty much nonexistent because there wasn't a need for them. And in relation to Exibit B, almost everything gets compilation movies these days, they're nothing special. Nor is it how fast they come out. The Nanoha movies were far more impressive then the Madoka ones because the Nanoha ones were 100% entirely new animation, dialogue, etc. Not just a compilation with new backgrounds like Shaft.

D: Most do, because they want to have different endings then the original versions for the sake of making them unique. Sayonara no Tsubasa, First/2nd A's, Star Driver, etc.

E: BEST GIRL FINALLY SHOWED UP.
http://i.imgur.com/VeaOtfu.jpg
Henyo

i should have added production history to exhibit a. like Ideon and Evangelion.(cut short, true ending in the movies.)

the Madoka movies are the only ones i know that play it straight.(also, I've read that they've rerecorded all the lines.) as for the endings..my brain is telling me that the ending is the same for the Star Driver Movie.

i don't get it why a 25 episode series needs a compilation movie(aside from cash milking.)

i'm hoping the Houkago no Pleiades movie is all original material.
Lord Dearche

Finally catching up with subs. Dat delicious Einheart.

http://i.imgur.com/OC57hY4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/35qmvTI.jpg

Though I don't like overall that they changed her voice from her original Gears of Destiny voice. It's still the same actress, but her tones have all changed. Or original voice was more like the way she did Ciel in God Eater 2 and some of her other roles.
Raikoh

I thought she sounded kinda weird and unnatural in GoD. Closer to Noto's normal voice and less in-character. It really made me wonder why they chose Noto of all people to voice Einhart, since I just couldn't really see it. Vivid's doing a good job with it, though. Only place I'm worried is if she needs to start yelling. I don't think I've heard Noto yelling and making it sound good outside of Princess Booty-shaker.

Noto's different performance is sort of like how Vivio's performance is different in Vivid than it is in GoD, since in GoD she sounded like StrikerS Vivio, which was just kind of off-putting considering she's different as a character. It's just a thing voice actors will do as they familiarize themselves with a character, or at least the good ones. Gotta try and get more into the role and sound more fitting for it.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Henyo

looks at Vivid's cast at ANN..
Noto Mamiko is the one that voiced Einhart? O_O i thought it was Hayami Saori. Eihnart sounds like Hayami's Yukinoshita Yukino(from Yahari Ore no Love Come Machigainai.)
Ryujin

I have to say, GoPri's been having some consistently good & interesting fights throughout the series.
Henyo

Ryujin wrote:I have to say, GoPri's been having some consistently good & interesting fights throughout the series.
i completely agree with you there buddy! hope it remains like this after Cure Scarlet appears.
lots of people aren't fond of her design. i'm okay with all things considered. its a combination between Cure Lovely's Cherry Flamenco and kamen Rider OOO's Tajadol Combo.
on the subject of twiight..her perfume looks a bit like Akuma Homura's Love Gem.

going to watch Black Rock Shooter TV. i can't recall why i dropped this one..

YOROKOBE YUYUYU FANS! the bonus VN had been translated!
Last edited by Destiny_Gundam on Wed May 13, 2015 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No links to pirated content.
Ryujin

Houkago no Pleiades must be Gainax's best work in years. I don't even recall anything from Magica Wars even though I watched all of it, while the adaptations of Medaka Box & C3bu left a lot to be desired (I wish there was more Dantalian, though).

A heartwarming show that smoothly blends the metaphysical & astrophysical, all the while keeping the Subaru product placement to a mostly trivial level. What seemed at first to be your run-of-the-mill show turned into something spanning galaxies and beyond.

Those radiator grilles on their brooms reminded me more of safety razors than cars, though.

In any case, GUNGNIR DATTO?!? next week & Prisma Illya at the end of July.

I also have to mention that GoPri has this nice fairytale vibe to it that makes it stand out from other seasons. My only gripe right now is
Spoiler
Twilight being named TOWA. Granted, this show's for little girls, but could the writers exercise at least a bit more imagination and give their intelligence the benefit of the doubt?
Henyo

Ryujin wrote:Houkago no Pleiades must be Gainax's best work in years. I don't even recall anything from Magica Wars even though I watched all of it, while the adaptations of Medaka Box & C3bu left a lot to be desired (I wish there was more Dantalian, though).

A heartwarming show that smoothly blends the metaphysical & astrophysical, all the while keeping the Subaru product placement to a mostly trivial level. What seemed at first to be your run-of-the-mill show turned into something spanning galaxies and beyond.

Those radiator grilles on their brooms reminded me more of safety razors than cars, though.

In any case, GUNGNIR DATTO?!? next week & Prisma Illya at the end of July.

I also have to mention that GoPri has this nice fairytale vibe to it that makes it stand out from other seasons. My only gripe right now is
Spoiler
Twilight being named TOWA. Granted, this show's for little girls, but could the writers exercise at least a bit more imagination and give their intelligence the benefit of the doubt?
finished Pleiades. now that is how how a Magical Boy should be.(young Minato looks EVEN MORE FEMININE!) i should thank this show for that singularity explanation.

straight romance in Magical Girl anime is good once in a while. Ultra Maniac is a good watch if you want an older example of this.

on the matter of Symphogear, funimationed streamed the series.(can't recall if both seasons.) if they're going to do the same for GX then we might have a chance at it getting a dub. here's hoping it ends up like the Yuuki Yuuna dub. i:e has VA's from both the Atelier and Madoka Franchise.

new scans of Cure Scarlet
http://precure.livejournal.com/2880944.html
Destiny_Gundam

Funimation has the first season, but not that second so I doubt they'll get the third.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Henyo

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Funimation has the first season, but not that second so I doubt they'll get the third.
now i'm a bit worried. that second slot in the top row in the Symphogear Bingo might come true.
http://zoid9000.tumblr.com/image/122426534662

and why is there a touhou slot?(i'm only familiar with touhou thanks to the power of educational doujins. 8) )
Raikoh

I think Pleiades was a bit of a letdown, all things considered. It's telling that I enjoyed the net movies more than the series proper, mostly because I never really felt like I got to know the characters. The only ones who seemed to have much of an identity were Aoi and Nanako, and I would attribute that more to their actresses than the writing itself. Even then, there wasn't much. Compare the cast in your average Precure or something to the Pleiades gals. As for the writing, it just was head-scratching and not really in the way I like. I never like anime that builds a "dream-like" atmosphere, mostly because I prefer logic.

That said, it was semi-decent, I'd say. It's sad that the most Gainax show in years went to Punch Line, which had nothing to do with any names from Gainax. Speaking of Punch Line, what'd everyone here think of it? I thought it was fairly solid, although episode 8 and on weren't as interesting as the first half. I preferred the mystery series over the action-oriented series. Narugino was great and Ito was annoying and added nothing to the plot.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Henyo

Raikoh wrote:I think Pleiades was a bit of a letdown, all things considered. It's telling that I enjoyed the net movies more than the series proper, mostly because I never really felt like I got to know the characters. The only ones who seemed to have much of an identity were Aoi and Nanako, and I would attribute that more to their actresses than the writing itself. Even then, there wasn't much. Compare the cast in your average Precure or something to the Pleiades gals. As for the writing, it just was head-scratching and not really in the way I like. I never like anime that builds a "dream-like" atmosphere, mostly because I prefer logic.

That said, it was semi-decent, I'd say. It's sad that the most Gainax show in years went to Punch Line, which had nothing to do with any names from Gainax. Speaking of Punch Line, what'd everyone here think of it? I thought it was fairly solid, although episode 8 and on weren't as interesting as the first half. I preferred the mystery series over the action-oriented series. Narugino was great and Ito was annoying and added nothing to the plot.
the let down part for me wa the middle set of episodes. they should've used a more interesting way
for character episodes. still, Nanako's was good.

Pleiades went on the opposite end of Madoka as other people would not. and they say the Pleiades-seijins are more powerful than the Incubators..hmm..

i also found this amusing image
http://i.imgur.com/CrAe3ed.png

Elnath is a bit like Madoka's momoe Nagisa eh? orange and black color scheme...
Ryujin

Just watched Little Witch Academia: Enchanted Parade, and it's a worthy, longer-length follow-up to the original. It's family-friendly fun, with all the characters from the original being themselves. Akko's still the enthusiastic idiot, Diana still does her sort-of tsun-tsun praise/put-down thing, and Sucy still espouses the use of hallucinogenic mushrooms. New characters are introduced, although among them it seems like Amanda gets the lion's share of the development, and we get a bit more world-building too (witch-hunts happened, no high-tech gizmos like cellphones allowed on campus, limitations on magic use, etc.).

On the technical side, I get the impression that it's not as polished as the original, although it's not really noticeable until you get to one of the recycled flashback scenes from the first one. Those scenes seemed sharper, with more vibrant colours & animated elements. Some remarks from the Trigger guys suggest that they were under some pressure during production, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an improved version for the October theatrical release & the eventual BD's.

Anyways, I'd also really like to see that LWA x Inferno Cop crossover short. Those who saw it at Anime Expo said it was hilarious.

Edit: And apparently, given her surname, Sucy's from Cebu. Well, that was unexpected.
Destiny_Gundam

Henyo wrote:
Destiny_Gundam wrote:Funimation has the first season, but not that second so I doubt they'll get the third.
now i'm a bit worried. that second slot in the top row in the Symphogear Bingo might come true.
http://zoid9000.tumblr.com/image/122426534662

and why is there a touhou slot?(i'm only familiar with touhou thanks to the power of educational doujins. 8) )
Huh, well Crunchyroll just announced they'll be streaming it. Wasn't expecting that.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Vent Noir

Symphogear is BACK, baby! And it is friggin' awesome!
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Henyo

Vent Noir wrote:Symphogear is BACK, baby! And it is friggin' awesome!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuDrur6o5cc

YES~ episode 1 was OVER 9000!!! and the next episodes also upped the Yuri.(Chris' Yuri docking with Hibiki and Maria's "I''' be having my way with Tsubasa".)

on other front, Illya season 3 is off to a slow start. at the very least though 1-3 is a laugh fest.

and last but not least,
Binan Kouko season 2 announced.
Magical Suite Prism Nana is still alive. < i seriously forgot about this one.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ear/.91098
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ers/.91682

interesting that they'd use a star system.
Henyo

Man, this year has been a strong one for the genre.
two TV series premiered this season as of this post. three if going by technicality IMO. Shuumatsu no Izetta. there's also Flip Flappers.
The PreCure series is on its 13th season. Madoka is getting a new movie, along with some other tie ins.

and then there's this:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ng/.107133

i still think the Nanoha series is on life support now.
on the western end, Steven Universe is on its 4th season. miraculous lady bug also continues.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-b ... 17/.106044