Code Geass Akito OVA 3/4 in 2015

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
balofo

Code Geass Akito OVA 3/4 in 2015

http://geass.jp/akito/img/img_3shoPopup.jpg

-May 2015 for Akito Chapter 3 and July 2015 for Akito Chapter 4
-Yasuda recently announced he had just did 2 new KMF designs for the last OVAs. Akito's upgrade and another custom KMF for a knight order leader?

PV should be coming soon
Chris
Administrator

Re: Code Geass Akito OVA 3/4 in 2015

Excitement level: 0. Also, let's see if they can stick to that release schedule without any further delays.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
balofo

Impossible to kill my hype since we're getting Lancelot in battle animated by Orange, even if the last 2 episodes suck hard(very unlikey) I'm happy.

Larger PV images here

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201409/20061944.html

CG Lancelot is pretty much the same as the 2d one from the OVA 2 PV. MVS appear to be still straight but the quilon is elongated. It seems Suzaku is battling someone hand to hand...
wielder

I guess that makes at least two of us who are still interested in this, balofo. :wink:

Thanks for the link to the images. Speculating a little here, I wonder if the setup for the battle is going to be Suzaku and the Lancelot ambushing everyone while they're relaxing somewhere, which might help to humanize the characters that need development, or if it'll be during an infiltration mission that would explain the gypsy costumes. Maybe it'll be a mix of these two possibilities.

In my case, I can recognize there are issues the two remaining chapters will need to address, but I still enjoyed the first couple of Akito OVAs. That said, the only way this will win over some of those who are skeptical is going all out and making a superior product. Anything else won't do...and it might be too late for others, even in the best case scenario.

Did Sunrise simply put the whole project on the backburner and concentrate their resources on everything else? Were the staff arguing with each other over money matters, schedule timing or content disputes? Or were they just working too slowly and leisurely without a full plan? Would some of the blame rest with Orange rather than Sunrise? At this point, it's frustrating to say that we don't know yet.

I can't welcome the delays, though I do prefer delaying to rushing. This is more or less what I was already expecting to happen, based on prior experience as well as their own announcement from earlier this year: please wait more, and we'll aim to make a joint release of chapters 3 and 4. They could always tweak the schedule, as Chris says, but the fact they're not just ignoring chapter four suggests the team is trying to follow the above approach, one way or another. Will they achieve that goal or not? Time will tell.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
balofo

I really doubt at this point there will be another delay even for OVA 4. They really need to end this in 2015 since we're very likely to get a new Code Geass anime in 2016 for the 10th anniversary. They've talked about animating OZ, a movie recapping the 1st series by Taniguchi or even R3...

Going by the previous OVA releases, we in the West will only be able to watch OVA 3 in June on PSN and the BD will be available on December. OVA 4 BD should be February 2016.

We're in for a LONG wait for these OVAs.
AmuroNT1

balofo wrote:They've talked about animating OZ, a movie recapping the 1st series by Taniguchi or even R3...
No.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
SonicSP

I personally very much welcome R3.
Dark Duel

I don't. Unless it does NOT involve Lelouch somehow cheating death, because that would completely crap on just about the ONLY thing I felt R2 did right, which was to kill him off.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
balofo

Even if Lelouch comes back who will be the enemies? Jovians, aliens, Geass creators? The Guren SEITEN was repaired and Kallen is now a test pilot, and Suzaku is still alive, I don't think any opposition could handle both at the same time...

Their only option is to animate OZ, do the compilation movie or create another gaiden(Australia has always been a mystery in the Geass verse)

But be sure there will be a new anime in 2016
Sabersonic

That or do a Magical Girl OVA featuring the Ashford Student Council and friends. Jk.

Still, for some odd reason I think that Lelouch would be the most beautiful out of all the Ashford magical girls. Disturbing, no?
Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad

"If I had seen farther than others, it has been by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Sir Issac Newton
AmuroNT1

The reason I say "No" to a third season* is because continuing the main plot past the end of the original series would completely invalidate everything Lelouch and his allies did.

*"R3" is a really stupid term and I hate how people use it as a shorthand for "Third Season". "R2" actually stood for something (Restoration and Revolution).
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

balofo

AmuroNT1 wrote: "R2" actually stood for something (Restoration and Revolution).
Thanks, didn't know that.

As I said there are limited options for milking the CG IP in animation form, but knowing Sunrise they'd gladly resurrect Lelouch for more $$. They even shoehorned him in Akito...

The Akito staff really wants the hype to die, they could've already updated the website with the Lancelot CG model or showed the PV :(
HellCat

To confirm, this also means season 1 isn't 'R1', right? I've seen people assume that's only logical and it bugs me.

We should compile a list. Geass R1, Turn A Bang Theory....
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
wielder

As far as I'm aware of things, there's been no official use of the term "R1" to date. I've never particularly liked seeing the first series called that either. For that matter, the occasional usage of "R3" for Akito the Exiled in some fan circles also kind of bugs me.

I don't have the discs with me right now, but the staff mentions in the audio commentary track for Turn 25 (if I recall correctly) that "R2" can stand for multiple words associated with the series, including -or in addition to- the ones AmuroNT1 has brought up. It's similar, as they also point out, to how the last episode's title of "Re;" can be interpreted in more than one sense.

Concerning the possibility of a third season or direct sequel, I'm not a huge fan of the idea myself. Just like I wasn't a fan of Armored Trooper Votoms continuing with Shining Heresy, Alone Again and Phantom Arc. The original TV series had already ended the personal story of Chirico on just the right note. But as that same example illustrates, it's not out of the question. I merely hope it won't happen.

That said, the global state of affairs at the end of the story of Code Geass is not one of an everlasting peace. There will be future conflicts, sooner or later, even if we never see a continuation. Lelouch might well have destroyed and recreated the world, figuratively speaking, but he did not bring the march of human history to an end, like Schneizel and Charles wanted to accomplish with their own different schemes. It's supposed to be a better world, not one frozen in place.
balofo wrote: As I said there are limited options for milking the CG IP in animation form, but knowing Sunrise they'd gladly resurrect Lelouch for more $$. They even shoehorned him in Akito...

The Akito staff really wants the hype to die, they could've already updated the website with the Lancelot CG model or showed the PV :(
Yes, it is somewhat bothersome to see the pace of their publicity is so slow. I guess they don't want to run out of things to update the site with too quickly, given it's still several months away? Too much hype might be seen as premature since it'll need to cool off in the meanwhile, so they're caught between a rock and a hard place. Either that or the web page folks are lazy and/or underpaid. :P

It seems producer Yoshitaka Kawaguchi (who is also working on Tomino's Reconguista in G, according to the Sunrise panel at AX 2014) did hint in a 2012 TV program that Lelouch could show up in Akito, even right when the first OVA had officially premiered. Just not as a protagonist, which is why I'd almost praise them in the limited sense that "Julius Kingsley" is probably the least damaging way of including Lelouch.

It is a moderate retcon of the original gap between the two TV seasons that can cause small narrative hiccups (not something unusual for this or other Sunrise properties), admittedly, but I think it can work thematically (Lelouch, the "good guy" who tries to play a "bad guy" so often, being forced to be a complete villain for real). Unless OVA 3 and 4 prove me wrong, that is, Suzaku should have the freedom to play more of an actual character role, given the circumstances, while Kingsley is basically the military planner and an extravagant figurehead.

Is Lelouch absolutely necessary? That's a big question. Sunrise seems to have run into that same problem with Chirico and Votoms, as already noted. I don't need to always see Lelouch and neither do some other fans, which is why at least I'd be fairly interested in going for even more radically different takes (or, say, something like Oz) turned into future anime productions, but there might be louder voices that could argue the opposite. That said, in spite of the relatively lukewarm enthusiasm among the fanbase thus far, the fact of the matter is Akito isn't selling poorly, so I guess there's still a gray area at work.
Sabersonic wrote:That or do a Magical Girl OVA featuring the Ashford Student Council and friends. Jk.

Still, for some odd reason I think that Lelouch would be the most beautiful out of all the Ashford magical girls. Disturbing, no?
Considering that forcing Lelouch to dress up and have him turn out to be surprisingly pretty is an official gag in no less than two different picture dramas, I could certainly see that happening. :lol:
AmuroNT1

HellCat: The first season of Code Geass is just "Code Geass". You can add in a "First Season" or something like that if you want to be specific, but it was never given any special names like "R1".

balofo

Does anyone find funny that they never made a Fact/Perfect File magazine serial for the CG franchise?

Gundam is on its 2nd, same as Macross and fuc**** Evangelion!
HellCat

Given the quality of these tends to be poor the world over (that's right guys. Make a Star Wars one BEFORE Episode III comes out and list all its events as 'lost history'), that's probably for the best.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
wielder

Well, if you took bits and pieces from the existing official guides or art/fan books for Code Geass you'd get something similar on a smaller scale.

Needless to say, the property is still relatively young compared to Macross or Gundam though.
balofo

I think they'll do it when Akito finishes. I really need all that lineart in hires in my life. Things like ships and vehicles are always neglected in these books, but always get to shine on the Fact File series. CG has awesome character and mech design, shame having to resort to small lineart for them, cramped in those old artbooks.
MarshalBraginsky

balofo wrote:I really doubt at this point there will be another delay even for OVA 4. They really need to end this in 2015 since we're very likely to get a new Code Geass anime in 2016 for the 10th anniversary. They've talked about animating OZ, a movie recapping the 1st series by Taniguchi or even R3...

Going by the previous OVA releases, we in the West will only be able to watch OVA 3 in June on PSN and the BD will be available on December. OVA 4 BD should be February 2016.

We're in for a LONG wait for these OVAs.
Are you sure that we're getting a new Code Geass anime in 2016 though? What I'd like to see is a Code Geass side show on how modern Britannia came to being instead of just being explained in a background story.